Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2017, 09:39:13 AM
Tesla Model S finished at the bottom of IIHS crash safety ratings for the new batch of tests for large cars (but still got an "acceptable" but still last).

Tesla's official whining about it IMO tells us all we need to know about what buoys the company...

Yes the small overlap frontal crash test result was the only one which was not great, primarily because the seat belt failed to keep the head from hitting the steering wheel hard through the deployed airbag.  That will probably be addressed in the not too distant future with a more robust seat belt.

Yeah Musk is a whiner. 

The model 3 will sell like hotcakes at Sunday brunch however and Tesla will have trouble keeping up with demand.  Just as every manufacturer has dissected the Prius down to the last nuts and bolts, you know everyone is also going to do that with the model 3.

Char

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2017, 04:23:52 PM
Yes the small overlap frontal crash test result was the only one which was not great, primarily because the seat belt failed to keep the head from hitting the steering wheel hard through the deployed airbag.  That will probably be addressed in the not too distant future with a more robust seat belt.

Yeah Musk is a whiner. 

The model 3 will sell like hotcakes at Sunday brunch however and Tesla will have trouble keeping up with demand.  Just as every manufacturer has dissected the Prius down to the last nuts and bolts, you know everyone is also going to do that with the model 3.

I doubt that. Most people are willing to mouth Tesla's balls on this one - but it's not really for people who want to use it as a primary car - it's for people who want/can't afford a Model S and get this shitbox instead.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Raza

What is there to dissect?  Electric cars are nothing new.  You plug the wheels into the battery and they go round and round.  I was an early adopter of electric cars, but abandoned them for fossil fuels years ago when it became obvious, very quickly, that gasoline powered cars had far fewer drawbacks than electric ones. 

My old electric car was basically like this newer model:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Char on July 11, 2017, 04:36:19 PM
I doubt that. Most people are willing to mouth Tesla's balls on this one - but it's not really for people who want to use it as a primary car - it's for people who want/can't afford a Model S and...

Well yeah. 

Laconian

I know a lot of people that can afford Model Ses but didn't buy them because >$100k is a fucking lot of money to spend on a car. They're excited about the 3. $50k is much a easier price tag to swallow.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2017, 04:47:10 PM
What is there to dissect?  Electric cars are nothing new.  You plug the wheels into the battery and they go round and round.  I was an early adopter of electric cars, but abandoned them for fossil fuels years ago when it became obvious, very quickly, that gasoline powered cars had far fewer drawbacks than electric ones. 

My old electric car was basically like this newer model:

Raza and Char agreeing on something...  that's pretty cool.

GoCougs

Yeah Musk is a whiner. 

There will be a bump but I don't think the Model 3 will take off.

Firstly, the Chevy Bolt is likely at least as good - maybe better - and the second gen Leaf, probably on par with the Bolt (at least in range), will be released in a few months.

Second, the Model 3 is more for regular folk and they are much more into "value" rather than spending a boatload in making a statement.

Third, the Model S sales are down a bit in 2017, and in general, the "early adopters" are looking to peter out.

Laconian

Eh, status cars generally lose their luster after four or five years.

12,000 RPM

It doesn't help that the 3 is hideous. Tesla seems to have forgotten how to design a decent greenhouse. Everything under the shoulder line is OK, but that greenhouse is just weird
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2017, 05:45:32 AM
It doesn't help that the 3 is hideous. Tesla seems to have forgotten how to design a decent greenhouse. Everything under the shoulder line is OK, but that greenhouse is just weird

It also doesn't help that there's actual competition at this price level either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2017, 05:54:31 PM

I don't like electric cars, that much is true.  I'm not as vehemently opposed to them as Char is, but, at the very least, I find them a ridiculous distraction from an actual efficiency solution.  People feel good about themselves, but don't think about things like pollution in the battery production process, battery degradation over time, or that the electricity is still being produced somewhere down the line that pollutes (probably coal in the US).  Why haven't people made strides in fuel cell technology?  Audi created synthetic gasoline two years ago; why is not becoming a marketable product?  There's got to be money for someone in pushing electric cars.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2017, 05:45:32 AM

The 3 doesn't look hideous to me from the outside.  It looks pretty good I think.  I thought the SPIN liked hatchbacks :lol:

It's not as good looking as the model S for sure but luggage space in the 3 looks to rival small SUVs.  I'm assuming it'll have a trunk in front as well like the model S.

Char

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2017, 05:54:31 PM

We agree on a lot.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on July 12, 2017, 06:21:59 AM
There's got to be money for someone in pushing electric cars.

Of course there is.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on July 12, 2017, 08:00:36 AM
The 3 doesn't look hideous to me from the outside.  It looks pretty good I think.  I thought the SPIN liked hatchbacks :lol:

It's not as good looking as the model S for sure but luggage space in the 3 looks to rival small SUVs.  I'm assuming it'll have a trunk in front as well like the model S.

The greenhouse is like an uglier Panamera.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 12, 2017, 01:37:50 PM
Of course there is.

I mean big money, real money.  Not Tesla money.  There's money, there's fuck you money, and then there's big money.  Elon Musk is fuck you money. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 12, 2017, 02:12:30 PM
I mean big money, real money.  Not Tesla money.  There's money, there's fuck you money, and then there's big money.  Elon Musk is fuck you money. 

Musk is just taking advantage of government incentives. The big money is writing them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Musk is taking advantage of the same money GM is getting
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2017, 05:51:40 PM
Musk is taking advantage of the same money GM is getting

Of course. Taking advantage of the money is different from having your pet senators write laws to give you money though.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2017, 05:55:03 PM
Of course. Taking advantage of the money is different from having your pet senators write laws to give you money though.

Works great for Boeing!

...then they fuck the state some more with even MORE outsourcing!

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on July 12, 2017, 06:01:12 PM
Works great for Boeing!

...then they fuck the state some more with even MORE outsourcing!

Or, we can ask, What would things look like w/out such subsidies from the state?

One thing for sure, without the last round, 777X production would have been lost to South Carolina, which would have been the death knell for Boeing in Seattle (or, at least the Everett plant).

But it's the unions (or more specifically, pro-union thug law) that are driving out Boeing.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2017, 05:55:03 PM

I'd wager GM spends more money lobbying then Tesla
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on July 13, 2017, 05:27:31 AM
I'd wager GM spends more money lobbying then Tesla

That is exactly what I'm saying.

Morris Minor

This is good.

Best comment: "i heard Elon used this vid to rub one out"
https://youtu.be/ARzujfRiQ3c
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 26, 2017, 10:30:23 AM
This is good.

Best comment: "i heard Elon used this vid to rub one out"
https://youtu.be/ARzujfRiQ3c

If someone can bring some humor into legal mumbojumbo he deserves some credit.

Morris Minor

I liked the video because of the Murricans in it. It's so perfect.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Not entirely apples-n-apples.

Drag slicks are designed to be used on a track (rubberized launch area) and those cars are 1/4 mile cars, not 1/8 mile cars.

Some of those cars are built like 9 second cars; meaning, on a 1/4 track the Tesla loses.

CaminoRacer

I only watched a few runs, but none of them seemed to get traction. Going fast on the street =/ going fast on a strip.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

If that was a mustang/camaro/challenger in the video handing everything its ass and not a Tesla, the butthurt crowd would be wanking off uncontrollably

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 27, 2017, 05:30:18 AM
If that was a mustang/camaro/challenger in the video handing everything its ass and not a Tesla, the butthurt crowd would be wanking off uncontrollably
Not sure what your point is.............
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs