Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on March 01, 2019, 05:08:15 AM
And yet the 3 series outsells the 5 series, and Porsche's biggest seller is its least expensive model (Macan).

You transmuted the relationalgeist to negatory effectalism.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2019, 08:15:11 AM
I don't know if it's a matter of not being good enough as much as making things way more difficult than they needed to be. The demand is there. The fanaticism is there. They just seem intent on stepping on their feet almost every step of the way in the name of "disruption".

For example I'm sure plenty of dealers would love to sell new Teslas. And I'd wager what little added margin they get from the direct sales model is wiped out several times over by the logistical nightmare. It doesn't have to be this way.

But we live in a time where admitting to being wrong is worse than death. So Tesla will die

How can you say the demand is there?  There are countless pictures of lots all over the country stashing model 3s.  The estimated delivery for this new $35k Model 3 is 2-4 weeks.  Estimated delivery for all other variants is < 2 weeks.  There is no backlog.  Elon refuses to answer it on any quarterly call.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2019, 08:44:38 AM
How can you say the demand is there?  There are countless pictures of lots all over the country stashing model 3s.  The estimated delivery for this new $35k Model 3 is 2-4 weeks.  Estimated delivery for all other variants is < 2 weeks.  There is no backlog.  Elon refuses to answer it on any quarterly call.
I didn't say there was a backlog
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

mzziaz

I think it is a good move to get rid of the dealers. I'm sure the segments that would consider getting a Tesla, don't mind digital platforms.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

...and I'm sure their backlog in Norway is huge with the $5k price slash for the 3. No big sales on X or S that I'm aware of.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Quote from: mzziaz on March 01, 2019, 09:40:24 AM
I think it is a good move to get rid of the dealers. I'm sure the segments that would consider getting a Tesla, don't mind digital platforms.

Did you watch that Rich Rebuilds video? Tesla can't really do the triage and other paperwork that go along with anew car purchase.

giant_mtb

They should've finished developing that electric semi-truck first so they could use it to deliver the cars.

2o6

Manufacturing will have defects; it happens to literally every product made.

If you do online only - Tesla shows up at your house, and it has defaults/defects - what do you do? Call the hotline and wait several weeks, if not months, for Tesla to show up and take the car back? Not to mention, all automaker dealers do a "PDI" or Pre-Delivery inspection, on every vehicle sold. That usually includes a test loop, inspecting the vehicles, to make sure they're functioning correctly and are SAFE.

Who's gonna do that?

A point of contact for the consumer to ask questions, inspect their purchase, and troubleshoot problems is NEEDED.

I mean, Apple still has stores and they make PHONES. Something significantly less complex than a car.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2019, 09:10:38 AM
I didn't say there was a backlog

You said the demand is there.  How do you come to that conclusion? :confused:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Tesla down almost 10% on the "great" news of much lower prices.

SEC is on it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on March 01, 2019, 09:53:13 AM
Manufacturing will have defects; it happens to literally every product made.

If you do online only - Tesla shows up at your house, and it has defaults/defects - what do you do? Call the hotline and wait several weeks, if not months, for Tesla to show up and take the car back? Not to mention, all automaker dealers do a "PDI" or Pre-Delivery inspection, on every vehicle sold. That usually includes a test loop, inspecting the vehicles, to make sure they're functioning correctly and are SAFE.

Who's gonna do that?

A point of contact for the consumer to ask questions, inspect their purchase, and troubleshoot problems is NEEDED.

I mean, Apple still has stores and they make PHONES. Something significantly less complex than a car.

Quite valid points.  The idea that they're gonna have tens of thousands of their vehicles out on the road with no centralized service centers/technicians is bonkers. 

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Also, the Tesla store in my town literally just opened two weeks ago. They moved locations to a "bigger, better location".

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2019, 09:55:01 AM
You said the demand is there.  How do you come to that conclusion? :confused:
By the fact that Tesla sold boatloads of $50-60K Model 3s instead of the $35K one they promised

What makes you think there's no demand for a Tesla people can afford, other than your burning desire for Elon Musk to fail?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2019, 10:17:13 AM
By the fact that Tesla sold boatloads of $50-60K Model 3s instead of the $35K one they promised

What makes you think there's no demand for a Tesla people can afford, other than your burning desire for Elon Musk to fail?

And they barely squeaked by making a profit when they sold boatloads and were selling EV credits.  They had a backlog of demand and couldn't even cut it as a business in that scenario.  Now the backlog is gone.  What makes you think they can survive?

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Xer0

We are finally starting to enter the future where you can online order you car and it will self drive itself to your driveway within 2 days if you have Prime.  Say what you will about Tesla and how badly it may or may not run, and if the car you ordered even exists, but I'm excited to see how this plays out.  The dealer model of "you buy what we have on the lot" was always a very annoying one.

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on March 01, 2019, 03:12:53 PM
We are finally starting to enter the future where you can online order you car and it will self drive itself to your driveway within 2 days if you have Prime.  Say what you will about Tesla and how badly it may or may not run, and if the car you ordered even exists, but I'm excited to see how this plays out.  The dealer model of "you buy what we have on the lot" was always a very annoying one.

What dealer model limits you to only what's on the lot?  Both of my Mustangs were ordered from the factory to the exact configuration I wanted since neither the dealer I was at, nor any other dealer within easy transport distance, had one spec'ed how I wanted.  Growing up, out of 10 new vehicles my parents bought, only one was "off the lot" that I can recall.  The others were all ordered from the factory through the dealership.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2019, 01:56:47 PM
And they barely squeaked by making a profit when they sold boatloads and were selling EV credits.  They had a backlog of demand and couldn't even cut it as a business in that scenario.  Now the backlog is gone.  What makes you think they can survive?
What part of "Tesla will die" didn't you understand? I think they will eek out a few quarters, and there are a lot of people interested in their cars. But ultimately shit's gonna come crashing down.

Did you mortgage your house to short T$LA? You seem panicked

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on March 01, 2019, 03:26:52 PM
What dealer model limits you to only what's on the lot?  Both of my Mustangs were ordered from the factory to the exact configuration I wanted since neither the dealer I was at, nor any other dealer within easy transport distance, had one spec'ed how I wanted.  Growing up, out of 10 new vehicles my parents bought, only one was "off the lot" that I can recall.  The others were all ordered from the factory through the dealership.

And even if you don't special order, most dealers will do a trade for it.

veeman

Tesla is not closing it's service centers. If anything, they are increasing the number of service centers they have. They also have mobile service vans which will be able to be called with an app with the goal being same day service (probably will play out initially as same week service my guess).  They are only closing their sales stores which don't have any inventory anyways.  I've been to a couple of these sales stores.  They're sparsely furnished single large rooms, sometimes in malls, where a couple of youths show people some Tesla models and have them sit in them and then, if the person looking around is interested, get their email information and possibly take their deposit.  They're far from what most people consider a dealership. They're really just expensive advertising centers.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/18245296/tesla-stores-closing-online-only-car-sales

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, they'll survive. People have been buying cool electric cars they've never test driven anyway.
Will

Morris Minor

I hate car dealers. They are a useless waste of space and only exist because they buy state politicians.
Who the fuck wants to look at 20 acres unsold shitty cars and pay the dealers' inventory financing?

Build the car I want and send it to me.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

When I bought the A4, I ordered it custom. Was impossible to find a black on black with a 6-speed.  Took a couple months to get it, but. :huh:

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 02, 2019, 09:04:51 AM
I hate car dealers. They are a useless waste of space and only exist because they buy state politicians.
Who the fuck wants to look at 20 acres unsold shitty cars and pay the dealers' inventory financing?

Build the car I want and send it to me.

A good dose of it is also due to the (somewhat) bygone area of less efficient manufacturing - the trickier and more variable the process, the more problems are created when the process throughput changes. Detroit had to keep the assembly lines moving or suffer immense problems with suppliers, quality, labor relations, etc., and dealers were the buffer between constant output and variable demand.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2019, 07:20:21 PM
A good dose of it is also due to the (somewhat) bygone area of less efficient manufacturing - the trickier and more variable the process, the more problems are created when the process throughput changes. Detroit had to keep the assembly lines moving or suffer immense problems with suppliers, quality, labor relations, etc., and dealers were the buffer between constant output and variable demand.
The piling up of inventory off hand and at dealers shows Detroit is even pushing this model to its limits

To me, the direct sale model works if the cars are perfect. Maybe Toyota could do it. Right now, everyone else.... no. And with everything one would want to aid in ownership... a place to take the car for servicing and issues, and eventually a place to trade it in once you're done with it.... the new car piece is very small

Tesla's bid to "disrupt" the car sales model has nothing to do with better serving the customer (look at the Rich Rebuilds fiasco).... it's all about their cash flow crisis. They have a captive market so they might as well :huh:

giant_mtb

I love that this Tezla service truck is rockin' a big ol' diesel. 

Galaxy

So...the Model Y will debut on March 14.