Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Maybe they were going to do it on the 15th but someone decided to bump it up a day lest it be on the Ides of March.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

The ides of March don't scare me...Bring it on.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

That's not what the soothsayer told Caesar.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Why don't they fuckin wait until all the bugs on the 3 are worked out??

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on March 03, 2019, 11:02:01 PM
At Tesla, waiting is literally dying.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

you mean never??....    :lol:
Will

Raza

You don't have to work the kinks out of the 3--just wait for them to all burn down, then sell new customers the Y.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

You assume they'll work out the bugs in the 3. There's no reason for them to.

I wonder what resale on these things will look like in ten years...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 93JC on March 04, 2019, 09:51:42 PM
You assume they'll work out the bugs in the 3. There's no reason for them to.

I wonder what resale on these things will look like in ten years...
Old Model Ss are still going for like $40K

As long as Elon is a God to his customers they will be fine. In this era of doubling down rather than admitting fault he's safe.

MrH

The wheels are coming off this week at a shocking pace.  If the stock continues to drop like this, Elon is going to get margin called soon.  I believe it's somewhere around $240-$245 as of a few months ago, but he might be even more leveraged now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Dont glaze your underoos just yet, we've been here before

Laconian

https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging

250kW per car, WUTTTTT. The batteries will proactively get hot and bothered in anticipation of the electrification experience.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Do Tesla's charging stations only work with Tesla vehicles?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

mzziaz

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 07, 2019, 08:52:49 AM
Do Tesla's charging stations only work with Tesla vehicles?

Yes
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on March 07, 2019, 09:42:35 AM
Yes
Too bad.  They need to make charging apparatus standard on all EVs for it to successful.  Tesla, having established such a large number of stations, could make a mint just on charging fees.  Someone will have to develop adapters for different EV manufacturers.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 06, 2019, 09:25:25 PM
https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging

250kW per car, WUTTTTT. The batteries will proactively get hot and bothered in anticipation of the electrification experience.

Pretty sure all the Germans and Electrify America are doing 350 kW :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 07, 2019, 09:48:59 AM
Too bad.  They need to make charging apparatus standard on all EVs for it to successful.  Tesla, having established such a large number of stations, could make a mint just on charging fees.  Someone will have to develop adapters for different EV manufacturers.

Then you'd have to design the core of your EV (battery pack, and corresponding electrics) to be exactly like Tesla, which means asking/getting/buying the IP from Tesla, and then waiting for Tesla to make the design decisions, and copying anew. Any EV maker worth its salt will say hell to the no, esp. in the nascent period whilst various players are jockeying for positioning.

Supercharging is also somewhat bad for batteries - you don't want to do it very often. Non-Tesla EV makers are better off competing with Tesla in other ways (quality, reliability, service, range).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on March 07, 2019, 10:29:07 AM
Then you'd have to design the core of your EV (battery pack, and corresponding electrics) to be exactly like Tesla, which means asking/getting/buying the IP from Tesla, and then waiting for Tesla to make the design decisions, and copying anew.

Yes, that's why all of our appliances use different proprietary plugs.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 07, 2019, 10:40:02 AM

Tesla's charging port is their own proprietary design :confused:  Everyone else is using global standards.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 07, 2019, 10:29:07 AM
Then you'd have to design the core of your EV (battery pack, and corresponding electrics) to be exactly like Tesla, which means asking/getting/buying the IP from Tesla, and then waiting for Tesla to make the design decisions, and copying anew. Any EV maker worth its salt will say hell to the no, esp. in the nascent period whilst various players are jockeying for positioning.

Supercharging is also somewhat bad for batteries - you don't want to do it very often. Non-Tesla EV makers are better off competing with Tesla in other ways (quality, reliability, service, range).

At least for europe all electric cars now on the market could use the Tesla Supercharging network from a technical point of view, since the EU mandated CCS as a standard. Tesla has however not come to a commercial agreement with other car companies. They want them to pay a portion of the maintenance and installation costs. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on March 07, 2019, 10:41:47 AM
Tesla's charging port is their own proprietary design :confused:  Everyone else is using global standards.

Impossible.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on March 07, 2019, 10:41:47 AM

Isn't it just US Tesla using a proprietary port? Don't European cars have a standard design?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on March 07, 2019, 11:10:09 AM
Isn't it just US Tesla using a proprietary port? Don't European cars have a standard design?

I wouldn't assume that. The supercharger has to onow not to overheat the battery during charging to, so there would also have to be an interface for the battery temperature, possibly as well as access to the liquid cooling for the inverters to manage the heat during high power charges as well.

You could just have a "safe mode" for the Tesla superchargers for non Tesla vehicles, but it would probably operate at a fraction of its potential.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 07, 2019, 11:29:39 AM
I wouldn't assume that. The supercharger has to onow not to overheat the battery during charging to, so there would also have to be an interface for the battery temperature, possibly as well as access to the liquid cooling for the inverters to manage the heat during high power charges as well.

You could just have a "safe mode" for the Tesla superchargers for non Tesla vehicles, but it would probably operate at a fraction of its potential.

That is a part of the CCS standard. The car sends its parameters to the charging point. The battery manager in the car is the master.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 07, 2019, 10:40:02 AM

That's not charging however. That's supplying AC power to the in-device charger, which does the charging, of a likely industry standard/common battery pack. See the difference?

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on March 07, 2019, 11:10:09 AM

There is a ton of work that goes into battery charging, esp. whereby the pack is being charged remotely (i.e., pumping DC power directly into the battery pack). The port/plug/whatever is like 1% of it:

Voltage range
Current range
Managing heat
Assessing battery health
Equipment safety
People safety
Charge status

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 07, 2019, 11:29:39 AM

I meant the plug itself....