Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2019, 11:57:20 AM
You know what else has a lot of surface interaction?

Actually, it doesn't.

Aside from the awkward looking front fascia, a lot of the design problems from the Multipla come from the fact it's slab sided with small wheels and a tippy stance. Even the facelift that grafted a "conventional" front fascia couldn't save it's bad deisgn bones.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2019, 12:10:32 PM

Actually, it doesn't.

Aside from the awkward looking front fascia, a lot of the design problems from the Multipla come from the fact it's slab sided with small wheels and a tippy stance. Even the facelift that grafted a "conventional" front fascia couldn't save it's bad deisgn bones.

Obviously the front fascia is the "surface interaction" I was referring to. The face lift isn't beautiful, but it still looks about 100x better. 

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2019, 12:15:14 PM
Obviously the front fascia is the "surface interaction" I was referring to. The face lift isn't beautiful, but it still looks about 100x better.

I think they both look bad, but facelift cars don't look cohesive. The Multipla is cohesively ugly.

MrH

They're probably going to lose $1-$1.5 billion this year.

They can't raise.  They don't have enough cash.  My puts expire January 2020.  I think they'll file earlier than that, but who knows when exactly.  They're busting out all the stops to try to prolong this.  They've rolled Solar city loans multiple times now at greater interest, they bought a trucking company with shares instead of cash, laying off people left and right, capex outlay isn't remotely sufficient to tool up for Model Y.  The announcement of the Model Y reveal caused their engineering VP to resign immediately.

The Growth Company ™ narrative is officially dead.  I think it's going to be a slow bleed out unless the SEC slaps Elon with a board and c-suite ban.  In which case, it might spiral really quick. The zealots will panic and sell if the great leader is out.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on March 14, 2019, 11:23:27 PM
It looks better in live photos, but it suffers from the same proportional problems that make the Model X look unconvincing as an SUV - low ground clearance, and a weird stance, and a tall looking body. I think a little less wheelbase and a little more lift would make it look more like an "SUV". Right now, it looks like Ford C-Max.

The I-Pace is also unconvincing as an SUV, but it's a striking looking car.
A coworker of mine (who is a pretty serious Porsche fanatic) and I were talking about Tesla styling and he told me "the Model X looks like an old toaster". Now it's all I can see every time I look at one.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

MrH

Bought a lot of bankruptcy puts that expire January 2020. Not where the bulk of my short position is, but if this thing went belly up and I didn't have anything more than what I put in last week I would be kicking myself.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Anyone reading this SEC vs Musk back and forth in the last couple of days?  This is wild.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

thewizard16

Quote from: MrH on March 19, 2019, 07:53:54 AM
Anyone reading this SEC vs Musk back and forth in the last couple of days?  This is wild.
It's pretty clear he doesn't enjoy the managerial tact/regulatory hoops necessary to lead a publicly traded company and whether it's ego (probably) or just sheer frustration at "the man" he's not going to be quiet like they want him to.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2019, 03:17:47 PM

:clap:

Quote from: MrH on March 19, 2019, 07:53:54 AM

I didn't see anything about the shareholder lawsuit to get him to put his damn phone down. If he loses his investors shit will go down within a week

Might as well start speculating on who is going to buy Tesla. Would be great if Ford purged the Jims and managed an LBO. Dont know what kind of voting power Musk has though
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

There are 300+ civil lawsuits against Tesla and Elon I think.  That will take years and years to get through.

Basically, SEC and Elon settled after the $420 Securities fraud situation.  Part of the settlement said all tweets had to be reviewed to see if they contained material information that could reasonably affect the market.  Elon continued to tweet crazy lies.  SEC said he's in contempt of the agreement.  Elon responded with some hilariously stupid things, like he screened them himself, that it wasn't actually material, etc.

SEC wrote a response last night that just ripped Elon.  Tesla is asking for a delay to respond to the SEC, but it's a pretty clear cut violation of the settlement.  The Judge now needs to decide what to do with Elon.  SEC basically said look, we tried to put something in place that would work and he clearly does whatever he wants.  It's on you now.  There doesn't even need to be a hearing, the facts aren't really in question.

I would love nothing more than a massive fine, a gag order on Elon's Tesla account, and keep him as CEO.  Force him to have to ride this disaster into the ground.  He wants an out so he can blame the SEC for Tesla's demise.  Make him own this.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

All sound, but I still don't see why you are taking this so personally :lol: It can't just be due to having a rough time working with Tesla.

GoCougs

There is some worth there in showing how utterly worthless the SEC is.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2019, 10:54:57 AM
All sound, but I still don't see why you are taking this so personally :lol: It can't just be due to having a rough time working with Tesla.

It's not personal. Just a hobby really. Starting really getting into financial frauds because I thought they were interesting. Read about Theranos, Fyre Festival, Enron, 1MDB, etc. Tesla is the next big one, and one I've worked with. It's the craziest show on earth, unfolding in real time.

My issue with Tesla is really the misallocation of capital. Imagine if Porsche get the subsidies and investment Tesla did. We'd be so much further along with EVs. Fraud is a net loss for society because of this misallocation of capital.

This has been a wild ride though. I've found an entire community online of people from totally different backgrounds. I'm learning just as much about finance by following this crazy story as I am taking finance classes in my mba.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-lawsuit/tesla-elon-musk-win-dismissal-of-lawsuit-over-model-3-production-idUSKCN1R62HU

A federal judge in San Francisco dismissed for the second time a securities fraud lawsuit brought by Tesla Inc shareholders alleging that the company made misleading comments about the production status of its Model 3.

MrH

So it was dismissed, amended, and refiled?

One down, 300+ more to go!

SEC contempt order will have a hearing on April 4th. Should be a fun show.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Seems like a non story. This is more interesting (pardon TTAC's declining journalistic quality):

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/03/the-curious-case-of-the-missing-model-3/

Seems Tesla has no problem taking money for the cheapo Model 3s, but is a little less expedient in building and delivering them (nobody has received the bottom model a month after their release and delivery dates keep getting pushed)

Bottom line everyone with money in Tesla- investors and consumers- are growing increasingly frustrated.

Laconian

Elon Musk, electric car pioneer, rocketship tycoon, rap artist...?

https://www.delta.com/intranetlink/servlet/IntranetLink?cmd%3Dnull%26id%3D24457E4007%26password%3D2222222222&sa=D&ust=1554055624454000&usg=AFQjCNGrPXnaB_2D-kxVU-MtA2OkdiV9rA

WTF is going on in this guy's brain? Perhaps I should short TSLA?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Here's a really well done documentary about the TSLAQ community and the disconnect between the bulls and bears. Only 30 minutes long, and just barely scraps the surface of a lot of what's going on on twitter.

https://www.realvision.com/tv/shows/the-big-story/videos/tesla-electric-noise
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

giant_mtb

Harambe...the un-funny meme that just won't go away.

MrH

Some tin foil hat theories:

This is Elon desperately trying to show his twitter account is just a joke!  We should never take it seriously.  That might be the stance he tries to take with the SEC.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Terrible delivery numbers for Q1, that are only going to get worse.  Model S & X down 44% over last quarter, and that's really the only vehicles that make any more for them.  Average sales price on the Model 3 continues to drop as the only demand left is for the short range battery packs.

And a contempt hearing for Elon today.

Stock is down nearly 11% in premarket.  I'm surprised it's not even lower.  We're approaching the margin call level though.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Buy the dip! Release another Emo G single!

MrH

This court hearing is ridiculous.  SEC lawyers came totally unprepared :facepalm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on April 04, 2019, 07:21:28 AM
Terrible delivery numbers for Q1, that are only going to get worse.  Model S & X down 44% over last quarter, and that's really the only vehicles that make any more for them.  Average sales price on the Model 3 continues to drop as the only demand left is for the short range battery packs.

And a contempt hearing for Elon today.

Stock is down nearly 11% in premarket.  I'm surprised it's not even lower.  We're approaching the margin call level though.

And someone on the 'SPIN maintained that Model S and X deliveries were up YoY, counter to my claim...

Telsa's unsolvable problem is talent - the exec exodus is only a pretty face on it - losing and not getting good talent, esp. on the manufacturing and operations side, is the death knew..

Even when Musk gets fired, and the company is bought out, still, no one can make money selling EVs, and very few people can legit afford them...

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on April 04, 2019, 01:19:05 PM
This court hearing is ridiculous.  SEC lawyers came totally unprepared :facepalm:

'Tis how Madoff, Enron, etc., made out like mad. In general, the incompetence of the SEC actually provides cover, in its ability to be easily manipulated.

Also, putting an SEC lawyer making $80k up against a billionaire's legal goon squad is a bit of a joke too.

MrH

The judge totally punted.  Told them to come back in two weeks with an agreed upon resolution between the parties.  Sounds like Tesla and the SEC are about as divided as it gets on this issue.

I'm guessing they won't reach a resolution, in which case is the settlement agreement going to be canceled, and the $420 tweet goes to trial?  :mask:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on April 04, 2019, 01:46:38 PM
'Tis how Madoff, Enron, etc., made out like mad. In general, the incompetence of the SEC actually provides cover, in its ability to be easily manipulated.

Also, putting an SEC lawyer making $80k up against a billionaire's legal goon squad is a bit of a joke too.

Totally.
I wonder if the government shouldn't contract out the prosecution in some cases like this and let the lawyers take a cut? Doesn't seem like it could get much worse that it is now.
Will

93JC

Quote from: 93JC on March 11, 2019, 03:13:57 PM
I was tempted to check out the Model 3 in the sheetmetal, but the only Tesla store here was among the ones that was shuttered. I know they had a "service centre" nearby, but it's not in the store locator on their website, so it might not be open anymore either. If not, the nearest is in Vancouver... :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/Model3Owners/status/1114300961684508672

QuoteEveryone,

I have volunteered for the unfortunate task to let you all now that as of today myself and all members of the Tesla Calgary Service department have been terminated effective immediately. We had no warning of this coming, and felt that we owed it to you all to let you know.

We have enjoyed meeting all of you and working with you keeping your vehicles on the road.

As a Tesla owner myself, I still look forward to seeing you all at future meets and events!

:facepalm:

Nearest Tesla sales/service centre really is now in Vancouver, over 1,000 km away. Next closest are in Seattle, Portland and Salt Lake City.