Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

BimmerM3

I guess it could work for them because they don't really have any direct competitors. If there were several other similar models to cross shop, being able to test drive before purchasing is a lot more important.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 13, 2019, 11:06:13 AM
*cough* I bought my RF sight unseen *cough*

But you had sat in a Miata before....
Will

Char

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 13, 2019, 01:26:27 PM
If the return process is as easy as they say it is, I might prefer Tesla's delivery model. A week of driving around doing normal daily stuff is going to be a lot more valuable than a dealership test drive.
It's not lol.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Char on March 14, 2019, 01:07:56 AM
It's not lol.

I mean, I'm no MrH when it comes to Tesla but I wouldn't put any value on their promise to take returns. They seem so bad at logistics it seems like it would likely be a nightmare trying to return a car and get a refund from them.

giant_mtb

Gotta deal with registration/plates, insurance, title transfer, and of course Tesla itself...returning a car after a week isn't like returning a set of silverware you never opened, I imagine.

12,000 RPM

To be fair a lot of big used car outfits will let you return the car within a week

It's a PITA but doable
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

The Model Y doesn't look good.

Laconian

Compared to what, the I-Pace?

It definitely looks better than the Jag, which looks they welded the greenhouse of a small car onto the doors of a larger car... discontinuity all over the place, blegh. What are the other, all-electric SUVs? Niro? Kona? Better than those too.

Model Y's prices are pretty fucking unbelievable.
Long range RWD price is $47,000
Long range AWD is $51,000
Performance AWD is $60,000.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I disagree, I think the Jag looks phenomenal, if it also suffers from not being a good "SUV". (It's a hatchback!)

The Jag looks wide and sculpted. This looks tall and amorphous.

Laconian

It looks like an egg, but it's mostly glass. I bet visibility is great.

The I-Pace is only a hatchback? It's a pretty spendy hatchback then; prices start at $70k.

2o6

It looks better in live photos, but it suffers from the same proportional problems that make the Model X look unconvincing as an SUV - low ground clearance, and a weird stance, and a tall looking body. I think a little less wheelbase and a little more lift would make it look more like an "SUV". Right now, it looks like Ford C-Max.

Quote from: Laconian on March 14, 2019, 11:19:02 PM
It looks like an egg, but it's mostly glass. I bet visibility is great.

The I-Pace is only a hatchback? It's a pretty spendy hatchback then; prices start at $70k.

The I-Pace is also unconvincing as an SUV, but it's a striking looking car.

GoCougs

Looks about as expected - anonymous-ish and bit toy-like like the Model 3. More wagon/hatch than SUV though.

I think it looks good, and thankfully they ditched the Falcon doors.

But ~18 months till it's available, which means at least 2 years. Jesus. Panned out for the Model 3 though *r0tor shrug*

CaminoRacer

So it's an X without the stupid doors. I guess it's good they learned 1 thing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 14, 2019, 11:50:12 PM
So it's an X without the stupid doors. I guess it's good they learned 1 thing.

Shorter wheelbase, too.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on March 14, 2019, 11:31:07 PM

But ~18 months till it's available, which means at least 2 years. Jesus. Panned out for the Model 3 though *r0tor shrug*
MrH has me convinced they won't make it that long

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 2o6 on March 14, 2019, 11:17:52 PM
I disagree, I think the Jag looks phenomenal, if it also suffers from not being a good "SUV". (It's a hatchback!)

The Jag looks wide and sculpted. This looks tall and amorphous.

Yeah I agree, the Jag is (IMHO at least) the best looking electric SUV/CUV on the market.

Payman

Oh god yeah, Jag by a mile.  :wub:

SJ_GTI

Saw this posted on TCL:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 14, 2019, 11:23:27 PM
The I-Pace is also unconvincing as an SUV, but it's a striking looking car.

95% of the time, "striking" means "so ugly everyone notices it!"

It's hideous.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 15, 2019, 09:27:04 AM
Saw this posted on TCL:

:lol:

It's so hard to get an unbiased opinion of Tesla that I just stopped paying attention to the speculation. I'll just wait to see what happens.

12,000 RPM

BK = bankruptcy?

CaminoRacer

I like the Jag.

This Model Y looks fine. It's definitely the offspring of the 3 and X. What the X probably should have been from the start.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2019, 09:30:13 AM
95% of the time, "striking" means "so ugly everyone notices it!"

It's hideous.

No

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2019, 09:57:00 AM
No

I don't understand how anyone can see this and think the car looks good.

giant_mtb

Tesla Model Y.......well, at least they're asking themselves questions instead of leaving everyone else to ask "why."

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 15, 2019, 11:20:46 AM
Tesla Model Y.......well, at least they're asking themselves questions instead of leaving everyone else to ask "why."
S3XY

It's funnier once you've taken a hit.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2019, 11:03:31 AM
I don't understand how anyone can see this and think the car looks good.

That's literally one of the best parts of the car. It looks sculpted and has a lot of surface interactions that the Tesla doesn't.

The only *good* (being hyperbolic) looking Tesla is the Model S, in particular the initial released Model S.

RomanChariot

The Model Y should have a Jelly Belly edition.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2019, 11:33:35 AM
That's literally one of the best parts of the car. It looks sculpted and has a lot of surface interactions that the Tesla doesn't.

You know what else has a lot of surface interaction?