Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2021, 12:22:08 AM
It probably does, but we also know just a heavier clutch, driveshaft or wheels will slow a vehicle down. Could also be there's some torque management going on.
I do recall driving Hondas with lightened flywheels back in the day. The biggest difference was felt in on/off throttle. Once the car was at WOT it mostly felt the same.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

I did the analysis back in my college days... A lightened flywheel was worth 5-10 hp in lower gears, pretty much useless as far as acceleration is concerned
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

I know I shouldn't have but I put in an order for a Model 3 Performance because my Bolt lease is expiring at the end of the year..

afty

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2021, 11:34:05 AM
I know I shouldn't have but I put in an order for a Model 3 Performance because my Bolt lease is expiring at the end of the year..
Excellent!  Welcome to the club.  :ohyeah:

NomisR

Quote from: afty on June 30, 2021, 12:28:23 PM
Excellent!  Welcome to the club.  :ohyeah:

I ordered blue but my wife is trying to convince me to switch to midnight metallic silver.. i'm on the fence with that one.

FoMoJo

More than double the bhp, should be fun.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Many congratulations.  :ohyeah:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 30, 2021, 01:04:53 PM
More than double the bhp, should be fun.

Yeah, when I test drove it, the acceleration was enough to make me feel nauseous as the drive.. it's awesome!  It's also double the weight of the Lotus.

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 30, 2021, 02:16:22 PM
Many congratulations.  :ohyeah:

It was definitely something I never thought I would do.. :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2021, 04:35:43 PM
Yeah, when I test drove it, the acceleration was enough to make me feel nauseous as the drive.. it's awesome!  It's also double the weight of the Lotus.

It was definitely something I never thought I would do.. :lol:
What's the lead time?
Also I've seen anecdotes that the Performance version's 20" wheels are easily damaged  - wondered if that had come up on your radar?

CaminoRacer

A fairly base Model 3 is somewhat tempting. The other affordable EVs are all more in the crossover genre so it's the only sedan option unless I'm forgetting something. (Taycan doesn't count it's big $)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 30, 2021, 05:01:33 PM
What's the lead time?
Also I've seen anecdotes that the Performance version's 20" wheels are easily damaged  - wondered if that had come up on your radar?

Right now I'm looking at around mid Sept to Mid Oct, which is around the time when my lease expires.  I'm probably expecting end of Sept since that's the end of the quarter.

The 20" cracking was with the old sports wheels that they replaced with the current Uberturbine.  Unfortunately, they're still all flow formed over weight stuff that's horrible for performance so I'll be replacing them with something lighter.  Selling the stocks should help me recover most of the costs. 

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 30, 2021, 09:18:57 PM
A fairly base Model 3 is somewhat tempting. The other affordable EVs are all more in the crossover genre so it's the only sedan option unless I'm forgetting something. (Taycan doesn't count it's big $)

Yeah exactly.. main reason why I went with the Model 3 is because there's not a lot of "fun" options.  Most will be out in a couple of years but nothing out in the immediate future.  I don't want to drive a cross over. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2021, 10:49:06 PM
Right now I'm looking at around mid Sept to Mid Oct, which is around the time when my lease expires.  I'm probably expecting end of Sept since that's the end of the quarter.

The 20" cracking was with the old sports wheels that they replaced with the current Uberturbine.  Unfortunately, they're still all flow formed over weight stuff that's horrible for performance so I'll be replacing them with something lighter.  Selling the stocks should help me recover most of the costs. 
Given the drive for efficiency & to "add lightness" I'm surprised they use clunky heavyweights for wheels.

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2021, 10:50:39 PM
Yeah exactly.. main reason why I went with the Model 3 is because there's not a lot of "fun" options.  Most will be out in a couple of years but nothing out in the immediate future.  I don't want to drive a cross over. 
The Model 2 sketches look like it's a hatchback - fine for Europe & China, but we love crossovers in the USA.

MrH

Congrats, but uh....don't say I didn't warn you :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 01, 2021, 05:16:39 AM
The Model 2 sketches look like it's a hatchback - fine for Europe & China, but we love crossovers in the USA.

Not me, I definitely prefer a hatchback. The VW ID.3, which is Europe only, probably would have gotten me to make the switch if it was sold in the US. I am pretty skeptical of Tesla, but if they introduced a smaller (than the Model 3) hatchback in the US that would almost certainly get me to switch over.

CaminoRacer

I'd love it if my Bolt was closer to the ground. It's a tall hatchback, I'd prefer a VW Golf sized hatchback.

I think most companies are doing tall hatchbacks/CUVs/trucks first because the packaging is easier with the battery in the floor and they don't have to put much effort into slimming things down. Most of the lower vehicles have been sub-100 mile range EVs with smaller batteries.

12,000 RPM

Yea I hate that all the affordable non Tesla EVs are quasi CUVs. Well except for the Ioniq. I want something like the i4 at half its price
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 01, 2021, 05:12:38 AM
Given the drive for efficiency & to "add lightness" I'm surprised they use clunky heavyweights for wheels.

Cost reasons probably, yet they sell it for way too much money.   The stock 20s were at 32lbs per corner, i'm looking to get 19s that's around 20, so i should be saving around 10lbs per corner give or take, that should help with acceleration.

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2021, 08:08:01 AM
Congrats, but uh....don't say I didn't warn you :lol:

I know exactly what you mean which is why I preface it with I know I shouldn't :lol:  I've been watching these teardown videos of the Model 3 on Youtube and it seems like Tesla has improved quite a bit between 2018 and 2021.. this seems to be right in line with your level of expertise too..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkiDlGyJnpredjGIe_oFroQOZSxUhIZdm

I actually want to know what you think... they also

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on July 01, 2021, 11:09:33 AM
Cost reasons probably, yet they sell it for way too much money.   The stock 20s were at 32lbs per corner, i'm looking to get 19s that's around 20, so i should be saving around 10lbs per corner give or take, that should help with acceleration.

I know exactly what you mean which is why I preface it with I know I shouldn't :lol:  I've been watching these teardown videos of the Model 3 on Youtube and it seems like Tesla has improved quite a bit between 2018 and 2021.. this seems to be right in line with your level of expertise too..

It'll improve the ride & give a bit of range too.
I watch those teardown videos too - the early Model 3s were a manufacturing dog's breakfast - they apparently got the message though. Learn, & get the accuracy & tolerances that come with simplifying.

CaminoRacer

My Enkei PF01s are flow formed and lightweight.

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 01, 2021, 02:57:47 PM
It'll improve the ride & give a bit of range too.
I watch those teardown videos too - the early Model 3s were a manufacturing dog's breakfast - they apparently got the message though. Learn, & get the accuracy & tolerances that come with simplifying.

I don't think i'll get a lot if any range from it only because the new wheels are probably going to be less aerodynamic than stock.. i'll also be going a little bit wider. 

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 01, 2021, 03:07:55 PM
My Enkei PF01s are flow formed and lightweight.

It's YMMV depending on the manufacturer for sure, the Weds TC105x I was looking at is definitely light and supposedly strong for flow formed.  But Tesla didn't go that directly likely for cost reasons.  Although I've heard their wheels are "forged", their weights are more in line with flow formed or cast.

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on July 01, 2021, 11:09:33 AM

I'll watch them later. Looking at the link though, these are all Sandy Munro videos. The dude has absolutely zero credibility. He's admitted to buy Tesla stock and how much he's made off of it. He pumps Tesla stock all day now that he's an investor. Terribly unethical.

I've known about him since my auto days. People think he's a functional expert on all things manufacturing and quality, when it reality, he's cheap contract labor for OEMs if they want some sort of tear down idea on something. If they want real, in depth knowledge, they do it internally. Their experts in these areas are infinitely more knowledgeable than someone like Sandy Munro.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

A Model S plaid has already caught fire. I personally would not trust owning a Tesla, but to each their own I guess.

Feel free to read through #TeslaServiceIssues and #TeslaQualityIssues on Twitter if you want.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2021, 04:17:27 PM
I'll watch them later. Looking at the link though, these are all Sandy Munro videos. The dude has absolutely zero credibility. He's admitted to buy Tesla stock and how much he's made off of it. He pumps Tesla stock all day now that he's an investor. Terribly unethical.

I've known about him since my auto days. People think he's a functional expert on all things manufacturing and quality, when it reality, he's cheap contract labor for OEMs if they want some sort of tear down idea on something. If they want real, in depth knowledge, they do it internally. Their experts in these areas are infinitely more knowledgeable than someone like Sandy Munro.

Awesome, I knew I could get some insight on this from you. :lol:  I usually take everything pro-Tesla with a grain of salt because their owners are like a bunch of fanbois similar to Apple fanbois. 

I want to know what you think of his comments though if you have time.

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2021, 04:26:08 PM
A Model S plaid has already caught fire. I personally would not trust owning a Tesla, but to each their own I guess.

Feel free to read through #TeslaServiceIssues and #TeslaQualityIssues on Twitter if you want.

Yeah i'm following different groups and even on reddit such as r/RealTesla, which is really critical of Tesla.  90% of the negatives regarding Tesla isn't a huge issue for me, partly quality issues which coming from a Lotus Elise, it's not that big of a deal, and partly due to EV related issues for first time owners which I'm fully aware of.  There's some things with FSD and autopilot which I won't really be using or relying so not an issue either.. only thing is glitches like the screen turning off for no reason or random alerts, warnings and error messages could possibly bug me.  We'll see.. if it sucks, the resale is really high so could help.

NomisR

CaminoRacer

Since autopilot is $10k I wouldn't even bother with it. But I can tell that Tesla is using that as their profit maker.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 01, 2021, 05:48:46 PM
Since autopilot is $10k I wouldn't even bother with it. But I can tell that Tesla is using that as their profit maker.

Yup, it's vaporware that will never happen.. nor would i trust it enough.  It's also now limited to 75mph and when people had it on and try to speed up to pass people, the car would disable it for the rest of the trip.  It's absolutely stupid.

MrH

I'm not the only Tesla skeptic. It's really the first mass scale, financial deep dive that's crowd sourced. It's a huge group.

I don't really care so much about panel gap or things like that. It's more indicative of the bigger issue than being the issue itself. They don't validate their designs worth a damn. The problems Tesla's have on the regular are mind boggling. Shit breaks in totally unacceptable ways. All the infotainment screens melted in model S and X! The SSD read/write too many cycles and totally brick the car. There are just countless things like that I would never put up with. And when some of those types of things are safety related, it's negligent.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

afty

Quote from: NomisR on July 01, 2021, 05:55:32 PM
Yup, it's vaporware that will never happen.. nor would i trust it enough.  It's also now limited to 75mph and when people had it on and try to speed up to pass people, the car would disable it for the rest of the trip.  It's absolutely stupid.
There's FSD which is $10k and Autopilot which comes with the car. The 75 mph thing (soon 80 — https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-pure-vision-autopilot-80-mph-max-speed-update-elon-musk/) is Autopilot, so you'll get that whether you want it or not. I suggest you try it before writing it off.

I don't think we'll ever see working FSD in current Teslas, I don't think the sensor suite is sufficient. I certainly didn't buy it on mine. FWIW, I *do* think we will see real L5 self driving at some point, but more likely from Waymo or Cruise than Tesla.