Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

giant_mtb

Wow, no shit, EVs are still way too expensive for most people.

afty

I'm approaching the 4 year mark for my Model 3, so I had some minor service done — cabin air filter, that kind of stuff.  I know you guys like to hate on Tesla, but I really like the service experience with this car.  I put my request in the app and they send a guy to my house. They don't try to upsell and even push back if they don't think I need something done.  This time I requested to have the brake fluid checked because the manual says to do it every 2 years.  The tech said that unless I've had some underbody damage it's going to be fine and would be a waste of money to check.  It happened before when I requested a tire rotation. The tech checked my tread depth and suggested skipping the tire rotation as the tires were wearing evenly.

afty

Looking back over the 4 years, I've had a handful of issues repaired under warranty:

Rattle in rear door
Broken charge port
Recall to reseal front control arms
Recall to replace trunk wiring harness
12v battery (I would have considered this a consumable, my G35 ate 12v batteries)
Recall work for trunk harness was done poorly and caused a trunk rattle

I also had to replace my OEM tires at 27k miles, that's the curse of instant torque and probably too heavy a right foot.

I'd buy this car again. I still really like it.  Really the biggest downside is being associated with such a polarizing brand.

giant_mtb

Quote from: afty on February 04, 2023, 09:56:11 PM
I'm approaching the 4 year mark for my Model 3, so I had some minor service done — cabin air filter, that kind of stuff.  I know you guys like to hate on Tesla, but I really like the service experience with this car.  I put my request in the app and they send a guy to my house. They don't try to upsell and even push back if they don't think I need something done.  This time I requested to have the brake fluid checked because the manual says to do it every 2 years.  The tech said that unless I've had some underbody damage it's going to be fine and would be a waste of money to check.  It happened before when I requested a tire rotation. The tech checked my tread depth and suggested skipping the tire rotation as the tires were wearing evenly.

Wait wait wait, the guy said it would be a waste of time to check your brake fluid?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: afty on February 04, 2023, 10:03:52 PM
I'd buy this car again. I still really like it.  Really the biggest downside is being associated with such a polarizing brand.

The purchase price is the only thing keeping me away. Even with no gas bills it's kind of expensive.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 05, 2023, 07:26:07 PM
The purchase price is the only thing keeping me away. Even with no gas bills it's kind of expensive.
Standard Range 3: $32K if you factor (quote:) "Prices above include potential incentives and gas savings of $11,700."

I'll be surprised if they don't announce plans this year for something in a more affordable segment. New factory location is subject of lots of speculation.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 06, 2023, 06:11:39 AM
Standard Range 3: $32K if you factor (quote:) "Prices above include potential incentives and gas savings of $11,700."

I'll be surprised if they don't announce plans this year for something in a more affordable segment. New factory location is subject of lots of speculation.

I've only spent $9k or more to buy a car three times. Highest were current Civic at $16.5k and current Odyssey at $12k. :lol:
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 06, 2023, 09:58:31 AM
I've only spent $9k or more to buy a car three times. Highest were current Civic at $16.5k and current Odyssey at $12k. :lol:

I'll sell you my Bolt for $16k
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 06, 2023, 11:22:34 AM
I'll sell you my Bolt for $16k

:mask:

That bored with it? Glad it hasn't caught fire at all.  :thumbsup:

I super appreciate the offer, but:
1- Still have Maverick on order
2- Wifey doesn't want more cars for some crazy reason. (PLENTY of driveway still available!   :devil: )
3- Utah -> SC is 3day drive (or shipping)

IF Maverick ever comes in, we'll likely sell Odyssey and keep Civic and Scrappy.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 06, 2023, 06:17:52 PM
:mask:

That bored with it? Glad it hasn't caught fire at all.  :thumbsup:

I super appreciate the offer, but:
1- Still have Maverick on order
2- Wifey doesn't want more cars for some crazy reason. (PLENTY of driveway still available!   :devil: )
3- Utah -> SC is 3day drive (or shipping)

IF Maverick ever comes in, we'll likely sell Odyssey and keep Civic and Scrappy.

How about this: When the Maverick finally comes in, I'll drive my Bolt to SC and do a straight trade. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 06, 2023, 09:11:45 PM
How about this: When the Maverick finally comes in, I'll drive my Bolt to SC and do a straight trade. :lol:

Ummmmmmm, trying to think of something clever to reply with, just can't.

NO.   :thumbsup:

I was having a mini rage attack today, I am regularly seeing two Mavericks at the Fort (one black, one "cyber orange"), but disc golf after work at the local park there was a Maverick in the exact color we ordered (Carbon Grey)....
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

It looks like Tesla's days of letting the word "BETA" do a lot of legal heavy lifting may be coming to an end?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/16/tesla-recalls-362758-vehicles-says-full-self-driving-beta-software-may-cause-crashes.html
Tesla is recalling 362,758 vehicles equipped with the company's experimental driver-assistance software, which is marketed as Full Self-Driving Beta or FSD Beta, in the US, according to a recall notice out Thursday.

The FSD Beta system may cause crashes by allowing the affected vehicles to: "act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution," according to the notice on the website of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The group of affected vehicles included the following years and models: 2016-2023 Model S and Model X, 2017-2023 Model 3, and 2020-2023 Model Y vehicles equipped with or pending installation of FSD Beta.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

They're going to release a code update, it will not change anything fundamentally, rinse and repeat.  Until NHTSA really drops the hammer that ends with refunds being forced, it's just groundhogs day.  Musk will continue to thumb his nose at regulators and law enforcement.

The demand collapse in China will be much more meaningful.  The regulators will just do the post mortem when it's all over.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

FSD is dangerous?? No way.

Morris Minor

😇 I always stop at stop signs. 😇

And anyway I'd thought they'd got rid of the California Roll feature ages ago.

Laconian

Deep dive with the yoke...

Negotiating the roundabouts with that half baked turn signal system nearly gave him a panic attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIrcx-3O1XE

AutobahnSHO

I rode in the backseat of a Tesla (3?) last week. He played with the fart noises and that ACCELERATION?!?!?!!!!!!!   
So juicy and clean. :lol:
Will

Morris Minor

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 22, 2023, 03:14:54 PM
I rode in the backseat of a Tesla (3?) last week. He played with the fart noises and that ACCELERATION?!?!?!!!!!!!   
So juicy and clean. :lol:

Clean is a good way of putting it. The torque is instant and it completely embeds you in the seat, like a jet at takeoff but without all the noise.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2023, 07:15:52 PM
Clean is a good way of putting it. The torque is instant and it completely embeds you in the seat, like a jet at takeoff but without all the noise.

Yup, he floored it from 15-60mph for me, in a 35mph zone. He said he accidentally got up to 130mph in Texas because he just didn't realize how fast he was going. Used cruise after that!
Will

Morris Minor

Had a ride in a Model S today on the way to a photo club shoot: a 100D, so no longer a spring chicken.

70 mph... & he needed to move into a slot in the next lane. My head hit the headrest - "Sorry - I don't usually have passengers." It's truly amazing.

Nice car... the seats are supremely comfortable.

Laconian

The traction control is what makes the experience so clean and yet so violent at the same time. My car makes a chirp that lasts a tenth of a second and then it's full on roller coaster G-force time.

I should record an acceleration run with my smartphone. Bzzzzzp.

Morris Minor

Tweet from a Tesla club in the SF Bay area. Holy shit.

Cautionary tale: Someone in our club, less familiar with the risks of idle fees, got charged in what looks like one of the largest penalty fees we've ever seen. They said they weren't aware of the idle risks and have no notifications activated for their smart phone and rarely supercharge. All in all:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 28, 2023, 02:13:19 AM
Tweet from a Tesla club in the SF Bay area. Holy shit.

Cautionary tale: Someone in our club, less familiar with the risks of idle fees, got charged in what looks like one of the largest penalty fees we've ever seen. They said they weren't aware of the idle risks and have no notifications activated for their smart phone and rarely supercharge. All in all:

LOL

And you'd think electric is easier to not mess up than transferring flammable fluids.... Wait until more non-techie people are trying to charge up!
Will

Morris Minor

I want to a Buc-ee's in Texas - hundreds of pumps (yes literally), all occupied while their owners were inside. Very few actually pumping gas.

Actually there was one family out there tailgating - food laid out on the hood of their Suburban.

We drove on and found a QT somewhere else.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 01, 2023, 06:11:00 AM
I want to a Buc-ee's in Texas - hundreds of pumps (yes literally), all occupied while their owners were inside. Very few actually pumping gas.

Actually there was one family out there tailgating - food laid out on the hood of their Suburban.

We drove on and found a QT somewhere else.

:confused:

Tht's one of my biggest pet peeves- gas up and go park if you're going to be in the store.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 01, 2023, 09:56:22 AM
:confused:

Tht's one of my biggest pet peeves- gas up and go park if you're going to be in the store.

I'll only stay parked at the pump if it's super empty, and only if I'm running in for just a few seconds.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 01, 2023, 09:59:54 AM
I'll only stay parked at the pump if it's super empty, and only if I'm running in for just a few seconds.

Same. Or if I'm paying in cash...kinda have to stay parked at the pump until you pay.