Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on April 25, 2019, 09:41:48 AM

Torque converter? I thought these things use DSG's?

Maybe? It feels more like a clutch than a torque converter, but their website says "8-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic® and Sport mode".

93JC

Quote from: 93JC on April 23, 2019, 04:00:01 PM
Have a Grand Cherokee for the next couple days on a business trip to the scenic, podunk hamlet of Grande Cache, Alberta. Feeling fortunate I have the Jeep, we ended up having to detour on a forestry road because of an overturned truck on the highway.

Quote from: 93JC on April 25, 2019, 06:36:09 AM
Have to give this thing back later today; so far it has been quite nice. Leans a lot in the corners which is an unusual feeling relative to my daily driver, but it has loads of power and the drive is very well composed otherwise. I can see why people like these and they sell well.

Only big downside to the Grand Cherokee was the fuel economy. Only got 22 mpg while 95% of my driving was on the highway at 65ish mph. :mask:

CALL_911

Have a bright red V8 charger for this week. This thing is fast and loud but handles like a couch

Guess the past two weeks have been the ballad of the modern American motorized  caricatures with this and the Flex

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

This thing is fucking awesome. I love it

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 27, 2019, 12:09:06 AM
Have a bright red V8 charger for this week. This thing is fast and loud but handles like a couch

Guess the past two weeks have been the ballad of the modern American motorized  caricatures with this and the Flex

I wonder how they compare in driveability to the old muscle car Chargers from the early 1970s.  I know a woman who owns one - She said she went to the dealer to get an SUV and walked out with the Charger.  They're a pretty distinctive car.  I would love to drive one.

Did you ever drive a Mustang?  I had a Mustang rental a few years ago and it was pretty cool.  Fast and noisy and with a totally different feel than my fast German car.  It's like beauty - there are so many different kinds!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

They handle WAY better than an old Charger, unless the old Charger has been upgraded with newer tires, alignment, and maybe increased spring rate & aftermarket shocks.

The newer Challengers and Chargers are tempting solely because of the exhaust note. :wub:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on April 25, 2019, 09:41:48 AM
Torque converter? I thought these things use DSG's?
Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 25, 2019, 09:55:09 AM
Maybe? It feels more like a clutch than a torque converter, but their website says "8-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic® and Sport mode".

Looked into this further. The outgoing 2018 Jetta had a 6-speed DSG. The 2019 has an 8-speed auto w/ torque converter. My rental definitely had 8 gears. I don't know how they made a torque converter feel like a poorly programmed computerized clutch from a stand still, but it's not good.

CALL_911

I'm in Maine with my dad and have a 2018 Mazda3 as a rental. I really like it, except for its dimwitted gearbox. Also Mazdas infotainment is horrendous. Seriously prob the worst I've used.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 06:55:58 PM
I'm in Maine with my dad and have a 2018 Mazda3 as a rental. I really like it, except for its dimwitted gearbox. Also Mazdas infotainment is horrendous. Seriously prob the worst I've used.

Did.you drive the Mazda up there from New York?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 06:55:58 PM
Manual or auto and whats the problem with it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on May 14, 2019, 07:20:43 PM
Did.you drive the Mazda up there from New York?

No sir. We flew into Portland and rented it there.

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 14, 2019, 07:36:41 PM
Manual or auto and whats the problem with it?

Auto. Slow to react, not terribly quick shifts

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 07:41:05 PM
No sir. We flew into Portland and rented it there.

Auto. Slow to react, not terribly quick shifts

What are you seeing up in Maine?  Any good fast driving opportunities where you are?

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on May 14, 2019, 08:02:24 PM
What are you seeing up in Maine?  Any good fast driving opportunities where you are?

Doing several days in Acadia with my dad. He had a couple free days in his schedule, but not enough to go too far so I figured this would make a good trip. Unfortunately the weather here is horrendous this week

Actually the back roads here have been terrific and highlights the good aspects of this Mazda3

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 08:07:31 PM
Doing several days in Acadia with my dad. He had a couple free days in his schedule, but not enough to go too far so I figured this would make a good trip. Unfortunately the weather here is horrendous this week

Actually the back roads here have been terrific and highlights the good aspects of this Mazda3

I think I-95 is up to an 80 MPH limit north of ... Bangor? But the twisty roads are more fun.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 14, 2019, 08:41:41 PM
I think I-95 is up to an 80 MPH limit north of ... Bangor? But the twisty roads are more fun.

Damn seriously? I didn't know 80 mph limits existed on the east coast. Yeah we took route 1 and similarly small roads to get to Bar Harbor.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 08:44:53 PM
Damn seriously? I didn't know 80 mph limits existed on the east coast. Yeah we took route 1 and similarly small roads to get to Bar Harbor.

You know what, it might be 75.

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2019, 08:07:31 PM

Have a great time, man!    :rockon:

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on April 27, 2019, 03:34:03 AM
I wonder how they compare in driveability to the old muscle car Chargers from the early 1970s.  I know a woman who owns one - She said she went to the dealer to get an SUV and walked out with the Charger.  They're a pretty distinctive car.  I would love to drive one.

Did you ever drive a Mustang?  I had a Mustang rental a few years ago and it was pretty cool.  Fast and noisy and with a totally different feel than my fast German car.  It's like beauty - there are so many different kinds!

Dave go drive a Charger Scat Pack.  You'll love it and hopefully buy it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on May 15, 2019, 04:14:17 PM

Except that it's called the Scat Pack ...

Laconian

For scat packers only!

FoMoJo

Why not a Hellcat?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 15, 2019, 04:45:40 PM
Why not a Hellcat?

You can buy a brand new Scat Pack for under $40k. 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

I was looking at those last month (after renting a Charger RT) and they're an abs steal

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Day 3 with the Mazda3. I take back my complaints about the gearbox- it must have been it's programming. It has been much better. Shifts aren't ZF8 fast but they're good enough. Car is seriously fun to drive, has great steering and v controlled body motions. Drives like something a lot more expensive.

Infotainment is total trash, and I find more flaws with it the more I use it  This 2018 I'm driving doesn't have Carplay either. It's bad to the point where I'd think about looking elsewhere. But I'd probably buy this thing anyway. I'd totally buy one of these and imagine the new one is only better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

I'm honestly surprised you like it so much, I was really disappointed with my ~2016 rental. Transmission was good, body motions were well controlled.... but the steering and overall balance felt exactly the same as the Golf TSI I had, but with what felt like half the HP

My frame of reference at the time was my admittedly modded Civic.... which had phenomenal stock (hydraulic) steering and a much zippier (basically stock) engine. But that thing was loud and ancient and a worse DD
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 16, 2019, 03:47:47 AM
Day 3 with the Mazda3. I take back my complaints about the gearbox- it must have been it's programming. It has been much better. Shifts aren't ZF8 fast but they're good enough. Car is seriously fun to drive, has great steering and v controlled body motions. Drives like something a lot more expensive.

Infotainment is total trash, and I find more flaws with it the more I use it  This 2018 I'm driving doesn't have Carplay either. It's bad to the point where I'd think about looking elsewhere. But I'd probably buy this thing anyway. I'd totally buy one of these and imagine the new one is only better.

I wonder if you have some kind of base trim spec infotainment unit or something? Do you have GPS on your car? I regard my MX-5's to be pretty darn good, more attractive and performant Subaru's, and extremely navigable with the i-Drive joystick thingy. Maybe you're spoiled by luxury marque infotainment, which I don't have much experience with. Wimmer's digital dash looks like it's from another planet.

My dad's 2018 Mazda3 has CarPlay. Your impressions of how it drives echo mine. Everything about the car feels very confident and buttoned-down, a bit like a budget BMW. My dad legitimately enjoys driving cars but he's too goddamn cheap to buy anything fun or fast. The 3 is a sports car hiding in an economy car Trojan horse. He bought it for its practical virtues, but now he won't stop raving about how fun it is to drive it on twisty roads. At last, he finally has a car he enjoys. I'm proud of you, Dad!

2o6

You can add CarPlay to the old head units, too.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on May 16, 2019, 02:00:28 PM
You can add CarPlay to the old head units, too.

https://mazdatweaks.com/

You can do it with a thumb drive. The hardware can be left intact, if you're OK with the potential for battery drain - the regular USB ports don't provide much power.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2019, 02:18:41 PM
https://mazdatweaks.com/

You can do it with a thumb drive. The hardware can be left intact, if you're OK with the potential for battery drain - the regular USB ports don't provide much power.

That's just begging for someone to build a cable that attaches to the headunit, spliced to a cigarette lighter wire for charging...
Will