Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 31, 2017, 08:05:05 AM
Steering on the new Civic is sublime. Why can't Honda build a damn RWD sedan

Did you just go drive a civic?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

BimmerM3

I have a Mazda3 this week. Nice to have a rental with some amount of steering feel.

Buuuut, fuck them for removing radio preset buttons. And what's the point of a wireless key fob that can start the car, but can't lock/unlock the doors without hitting a button on the remote? If there's a way to lock/unlock from the car door itself, it's not at all obvious.

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 12, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
I have a Mazda3 this week. Nice to have a rental with some amount of steering feel.

Buuuut, fuck them for removing radio preset buttons. And what's the point of a wireless key fob that can start the car, but can't lock/unlock the doors without hitting a button on the remote? If there's a way to lock/unlock from the car door itself, it's not at all obvious.

I think it was just a cost-saving/up-selling decision --  they don't design two ignition switches or manufacture two types of keys, but base models don't get an unlocking button on the door handle. Same with the Mazda-built Toyota Yaris iA.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2017, 07:36:21 AM
I think it was just a cost-saving/up-selling decision --  they don't design two ignition switches or manufacture two types of keys, but base models don't get an unlocking button on the door handle. Same with the Mazda-built Toyota Yaris iA.

Makes sense, I guess. It also has a "Nav" button that just brings up a screen with a compass that says "You don't have nav, but you can buy it from your local Mazda dealership!"

It does have the best transmission of the rentals I've driven in recent memory. Plus it actually has a place where I can put my phone where I can see navigation and it won't slide around!

93JC

And what's the point of a wireless key fob that can start the car, but can't lock/unlock the doors without hitting a button on the remote? If there's a way to lock/unlock from the car door itself, it's not at all obvious.

You should be able to change it in the 'infotainment' system settings menu, such that the doors lock automatically when you walk away.

Laconian

You can "favorite" the stations you like. Yeah, it's dumb.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 12, 2017, 12:01:07 PM
You can "favorite" the stations you like. Yeah, it's dumb.

Yeah I figured that out. Like you said, dumb.

afty

Another family vacation. We have a Ford Edge Titanium. It's pretty nice, especially the panoramic sunroof. Not very exciting to drive, but cars in this class usually aren't.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: afty on June 12, 2017, 01:59:22 PM
Another family vacation. We have a Ford Edge Titanium. It's pretty nice, especially the panoramic sunroof. Not very exciting to drive, but cars in this class usually aren't.

In-laws have a Sorento with giant sunroof. I love it but they probably always leave it closed.
Will

CALL_911

Got a CC as a loaner while my car was getting serviced. It's exactly what I expected, great highway cruiser, light steering, roller than the GTI. I like them and I liked this one, but it stickered for like $35k which is insanity.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Booked a car with Enterprise in SLC because the National branch looked super crappy there. Lots of complaints on online reviews, no Emerald Aisle, with a crummy selection being the cherry on top.

Seat comfort (b/c long rides) and forced induction (b/c altitude) will be my priorities.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on June 23, 2017, 07:55:36 PM
Booked a car with Enterprise in SLC because the National branch looked super crappy there. Lots of complaints on online reviews, no Emerald Aisle, with a crummy selection being the cherry on top.

Seat comfort (b/c long rides) and forced induction (b/c altitude) will be my priorities.

I'll buy you lunch if you stop in Provo.

(Dollar menu @ McD's :lol: )
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I'm visiting Provo later in the week, maybe I should take you up on that offer. ;)

Laconian

Buick LaCrosse. Great road tripper. Nice suspension and SO QUIET

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on June 24, 2017, 04:38:18 PM
Buick LaCrosse. Great road tripper. Nice suspension and SO QUIET

The new one?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

They really are great mile munchers.  Shit, even a 2005 Buick LeSabre will get you around in supreme comfort and serenity.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on June 23, 2017, 09:51:42 PM
I'm visiting Provo later in the week, maybe I should take you up on that offer. ;)

You might enjoy the authentic taco stand more :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on June 25, 2017, 03:28:16 PM
The new one?
Yeah, 2017, 5k miles on it. So comfortable. Fully adjustable passenger seat too. Whisper quiet. Best "full size" rental I've had, only about $1/day more expensive than a midsize.

The GM High Feature 3.6 V6 continues to be magical. It pulls hard, sounds great, and still scores about 33mpg with mostly highway driving at 4k+ ft elevations. It idles so smoothly that I sometimes question if the engine's even running.

It works with Android Auto too :rockon:

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2017, 09:19:43 PM
Yeah, 2017, 5k miles on it. So comfortable. Fully adjustable passenger seat too. Whisper quiet. Best "full size" rental I've had, only about $1/day more expensive than a midsize.

The GM High Feature 3.6 V6 continues to be magical. It pulls hard, sounds great, and still scores about 33mpg with mostly highway driving at 4k+ ft elevations. It idles so smoothly that I sometimes question if the engine's even running.

It works with Android Auto too :rockon:

Good to hear
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

I think it might make me an unenthusiast, but I have rented both a new gen Impala and a CC and the Impala was the clear winner for me. If it was socially acceptable, I would seriously think about a Lacrosse (whenever I actually buy a new car). I rented a previous gen Impala and the new gen back to back, I don't think a car has ever improved so much from generation to generation. And it wasn't about the powertrain either, because the new one had the I4.

My latest rental, though, was a mint green Fiat 500. Slow as shit, and pretty much as gay as possible, but reasonably fun on the country roads. Although I would have enjoyed it more, but the roads are so fucking narrow over here. and I was paranoid as shit after my saga with Amex / Hertz*. Weird renting a car with a stick. The wrong side of the road deal really wasn't a struggle, since I am not really used to either side at this point (hadn't driven for over 6 months).

*Very very long story short kind of short: 1)  Amex told me my corporate Amex had rental car coverage. It did not. 2) Hertz NZ dinged me for some incredibly minor and preexisting damage.  3) Hertz USA took over a month to explain the $2000 in charges. 4) I argued with Amex for over a year that they should stand by what they told me, but the original call happened to not be randomly recorded so they wiggled out of it (In fact, in the final call, suggested that even if they had a recording it probably wouldn't have mattered because the card sponsor, not them, is the final authority on benefits) 5) I gave up, after being promised at least twice that the money would be credited to my account within 2 days. 6) I canceled my remaining Amex card (when traveling, I put $500-$1000 per week on that card) and shifted my corporate travel to Avis ($200-300 per week and my personal to the lowest bidder). #ChaseforLife

Laconian

Bah. The Lacrosse is excellent, even better than the Impala. Screw the haters. The Impala and the Lacrosse were both High Feature V6es. Great engines.

12,000 RPM

The Lacrosse is a really good looking car too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Yeah, it is! I can't believe I actually like a Buick, but there ya go.

veeman

In Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and got a Ford Explorer.  Fully loaded with luggage and passengers much of the time.  Dang, I'm impressed with this car.  Plenty of power for RV passing maneuvers, very quiet except for wide open throttle, very smooth and comfortable ride.  I could drive this beast all day long.  Also this generation front grill treatment looks very good.  3rd row is good enough for two kids. 

giant_mtb

They do ride really nice. And quiet.

Only thing I don't like about them is how tub-like they are...like the footwells are really deep and it's almost like stepping over to get into a tub.  Makes the doors look goofy when opened...they extend so far beyond the interior panel.  The bottom of the door is about where the floor is.

Minor complaint, just goofy.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 08, 2017, 10:23:10 AM
They do ride really nice. And quiet.

Only thing I don't like about them is how tub-like they are...like the footwells are really deep and it's almost like stepping over to get into a tub.  Makes the doors look goofy when opened...they extend so far beyond the interior panel.  The bottom of the door is about where the floor is.

Minor complaint, just goofy.

Didn't notice that.  I'll check it out in a few minutes.  My sister and her family who we're traveling with has a rental new Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Sharp sharp looking SUV.  Better looking than the Explorer for sure but not really that comparable as the Explorer is significantly larger with the 3rd row. Probably not nearly as cush a ride but I haven't been in it.  My brother in law did some light illegal off-roading in the Jeep outside the park yesterday.  I didn't have the guts to in the Explorer mostly because it was my rental and I didn't want to chance anything.

giant_mtb

Newer Explorers aren't really that great off road.  First and foremost, their front lip clearance is atrocious.

My parents had a 2011, which I believe was one of the first of the latest-generation Exploders.  Totally different experience compared to older models (my parents also had a 2002, 1998, and 1993 throughout my life) as they ride and drive much more car-like and don't exude any real feeling of "tough" outside of their looks.  Great cruiser, great people carrier...but certainly not all that worthy off-road like the Explorers of yore.

12,000 RPM

Not a rental car but we are out on the west coast... made a stop to see a couple we are super close with,  naturally they got a new white on red M235i. What a cool car. Leather makes it feel worth the money over the fake shit and even with my friend, wife, myself and our luggage it hauled the mail and handled. Hoping I get a chance to drive it alone. Complete 180 from that 328i rental
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 12, 2017, 08:14:10 AM
Not a rental car but we are out on the west coast... made a stop to see a couple we are super close with,  naturally they got a new white on red M235i. What a cool car. Leather makes it feel worth the money over the fake shit and even with my friend, wife, myself and our luggage it hauled the mail and handled. Hoping I get a chance to drive it alone. Complete 180 from that 328i rental

Real leather, or leatherette?