Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

12,000 RPM

Damn that sounds pretty sweet man. Sadly it takes about that many hours to get used to left hand shifting :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

Quote from: Xer0 on May 16, 2018, 10:33:35 AM
I'll be in Tokyo from 07/18-07/21.  Among the many cool things to do in Japan, what I'm looking forward to the most is renting fun JDM cars that I can't get a hold of in the US.  I have a request for a tour around Mt. Fuji right now in an R34, NA1 NSX, and 4th gen Supra.  Its like a 6 hour thing with sight seeing and all that jazz.  Pretty fucking excited.

Hell yeah. I'd be the most excited for the R34 honestly, even if the NSX is what I'd want in my own garage.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

You can go for 240z and classic gtrs too I know someone who did it looked like fun you'll enjoy it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Also make sure the R34 isn't some pussy-spec model that's more mundane than a '98 GS300

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

So just got my quote back.  I'll be spending two hours in first gen NSX with the 3.0 and 5 spd than 4 hours with an R34.  I hope in those two hours I acclimate to left hand shifting and right hand driving.  From everything I've read, driving on the wrong side of the road takes more time to get used to.

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 16, 2018, 02:40:55 PM
Also make sure the R34 isn't some pussy-spec model that's more mundane than a '98 GS300

Do you mean like getting a Skyline vs the GTR?  Or is there a wimpy GTR model of the R34?  This would be the GTR with the "280hp" engine that I'd be driving.  This is their fleet.

http://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/

CALL_911

Yeah, I just meant Skyline vs. GTR- what they have listed is legit.

I found this helpful for driving on the other side. Align yourself with the line on the side of the road you are sitting (i.e. if you are sitting on the right of the car, align yourself with the road line marker on that side of the road). What I mean by this is, do not fear driving too far on that side- you almost certainly will not be. Try and stick closer to the line on your side than you think you should. In reality, you will be just right.

^I don't know if I'm making any sense, let me know if I should clarify.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Also shifting with your left hand isn't a big deal- you get used to it pretty quickly.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

afty

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 18, 2018, 09:41:57 AM
Also shifting with your left hand isn't a big deal- you get used to it pretty quickly.
I had a hard time with it, harder than adjusting to driving on the other side. It felt to me like the shift pattern should be mirrored, but it's not, so every shift I had to think about where the gear was that I was trying to change into.

AutobahnSHO

Black 4door F150.

It's like sitting in a quiet cocoon of safety on top of a bouncy pogo stick.
Will

12,000 RPM

Pick up trucks are like living rooms on wheels. For the average person I 100% get it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2018, 04:18:14 PM
Pick up trucks are like living rooms on wheels. For the average person I 100% get it.

Yeah, it's huge. Gas mileage might cost more than the $25 I submitted for this trip though...  :thumbsup:

They said they rented 400 cars today. Enterprise, and all the other major companies are here too.
Will

Laconian

Only if you're a psychopath that doesn't care about massive blindspots.

I'm still pretty pissed about the fucker that casually ruined my Miata and nearly killed my husband.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 04, 2018, 05:25:24 PM

I'm still pretty pissed about the fucker that casually ruined my Miata and nearly killed my husband.
Oh, I must've missed that.  What happened?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

My NA was sideswiped into the median by a jacked up RAM. This was around 2013.

GoCougs

Because the "average" person is a non validated, and driving a 5,500+ lb dreadnought is how many try to get there (and do the exact opposite, and end up looking like utter fools).

AutobahnSHO

Visibility is actually amazing. Lots of dummies drive trucks though.

I was almost killed the first week I owned a Miata by dummy pickup driver. I stopped for a red light, and saw him not slowing down still a block behind me. I had time to throw it in gear and get into the turn lane. He finally slammed on the brakes and skidded through the red light.
Will

giant_mtb

Trucks have generally good blindspot visibility.  Lots have dual/extended side mirrors, and lots of window.  Of course, this can go right out the window if you've got it lifted 7' with 94" tires.

Laconian

What if the windows are filled with vinyl silhouettes of skulls and assault rifles?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on June 04, 2018, 09:37:47 PM
What if the windows are filled with vinyl silhouettes of skulls and assault rifles?

That should only affect directly behind, they don't usually clutter the side windows.

Most dummies drive with the mirror half taken up by the vehicle.  But I feel the F150 mirrors cover better than my minivan.

You just have to not drive retarded. 
Will

giant_mtb

88% of pickup trucks are not as such.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2018, 07:00:46 PM
Because the "average" person is a non validated, and driving a 5,500+ lb dreadnought is how many try to get there (and do the exact opposite, and end up looking like utter fools).
Hey, well that's just like your opinion man :lol:

This argument's logical conclusion would be for all of us to drive Mitsubishi Mirages. I can't judge an F150 driver and then look the other way at a Mustang or X5 driver. Excess is excess, and I'm proud to be a Mrcn :erjerbs: :neverforget:

Submariner

And men urinating onto engine blocks.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2018, 08:22:36 AM
And men urinating onto engine blocks.
Worked for BMW blocks for F1. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

veeman

Flew to Seattle to attend a friend's wedding in Vancouver.  Thought it would be a nice relaxing good scenery drive on a Friday evening but traffic sucked.  I Pricelined a luxury car because it wasn't much more than a midsize and thought I would be able to switch to a coupe at the rental counter.  Avis at the Seattle airport said the only luxury car they had was a Buick LaCrosse and they didn't have any coupes available. 

I had never been in a Lacrosse so I didn't mind.  Several years ago I rented a Lucerne.

Impressions:  Man this car is huge.  It's a great looking car in a Buick way. Classy. Interior is very comfortable and nicely styled, even a bit sporty.  Trunk is small.  I expected this car to drive better.  It was fine but I expected it to be cocoon like quiet and it wasn't.  The Chrysler 300 is much more spry and equally quiet.  This thing felt ponderous although acceleration is fine.  The Lexus ES has a better interior and also drives better. Anyways overall I like it but I wouldn't get it.  It feels like a relic.  Huge American land yacht which is real nicely styled and comfortable but also drives like a seafaring yacht.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on June 16, 2018, 09:24:02 AM
Flew to Seattle to attend a friend's wedding in Vancouver.  Thought it would be a nice relaxing good scenery drive on a Friday evening but traffic sucked.  I Pricelined a luxury car because it wasn't much more than a midsize and thought I would be able to switch to a coupe at the rental counter.  Avis at the Seattle airport said the only luxury car they had was a Buick LaCrosse and they didn't have any coupes available. 

I had never been in a Lacrosse so I didn't mind.  Several years ago I rented a Lucerne.

Impressions:  Man this car is huge.  It's a great looking car in a Buick way. Classy. Interior is very comfortable and nicely styled, even a bit sporty.  Trunk is small.  I expected this car to drive better.  It was fine but I expected it to be cocoon like quiet and it wasn't.  The Chrysler 300 is much more spry and equally quiet.  This thing felt ponderous although acceleration is fine.  The Lexus ES has a better interior and also drives better. Anyways overall I like it but I wouldn't get it.  It feels like a relic.  Huge American land yacht which is real nicely styled and comfortable but also drives like a seafaring yacht.

I'm flying to Seattle in August and renting a car.  I have to find out what it's going to be.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on June 16, 2018, 09:24:02 AM

Your standards for cabin noise must be pretty high, because I was very impressed by the isolation when we rented a LaCrosse in Utah. It was shockingly easy to drive 100mph in that thing.

Yeah, our traffic is crap! Vancouver's is worse, I'd argue, since the main highway turns into a stoplight infested surface street going straight through the city. :rolleyes:

giant_mtb

For real. Buicks have just about always been coffin quiet.

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2018, 01:12:08 PM

For real. Buicks have just about always been coffin quiet.

There's a dual marketing opportunity there given the historic average age of their customer base.

veeman

Oh it's quiet enough.  Just not more quiet than other cars in the same sorta class that I can remember.  They're all really quiet.  It's not coffin/tomb like.  I'm nitpicking here. 

I've driven it (the Lacrosse) all day today in congested Vancouver traffic. Nice city with a great vibe about it.  The car is really great looking.  I'd take it over a Lexus ES.  I'd take a Chrysler 300 over it any day though even in V6 form.  Maybe it's the RWD platform.  I don't know.  It drives better. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on June 16, 2018, 10:41:32 PM
Oh it's quiet enough.  Just not more quiet than other cars in the same sorta class that I can remember.  They're all really quiet.  It's not coffin/tomb like.  I'm nitpicking here. 

I've driven it (the Lacrosse) all day today in congested Vancouver traffic. Nice city with a great vibe about it.  The car is really great looking.  I'd take it over a Lexus ES.  I'd take a Chrysler 300 over it any day though even in V6 form.  Maybe it's the RWD platform.  I don't know.  It drives better. 
I'm glad that they reverted to using the Buick tri-coloured shield logo rather than the silhouette version.