Getting older is not bad (Nissan MAXIMA rental review)

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 13, 2017, 06:04:30 PM

12,000 RPM

Been pushing this while they put the THIRD engine in the Civic....

High key, I'm smitten :wub: I was not expecting to like the car this much. Key word here: EASY.

Pluses:

- Turbo engines are pretty cool for what they are, but there's just nothing like the response of a big displacement naturally aspirated lump. It doesn't feel as brutal as the specs and bench racing stats suggest, but it definitely makes haste. No thought necessary, just dip your foot in the throttle and go.
- CVT is actually pretty good. When you are just cruising you don't notice, but at like 80% throttle it mimics a regular gearbox. Very satisfying.
- Interior is as good as it can be at the price point. When you really start poking and prodding it shows its costs, but cursory driving glances look great.
- Infotainment system is really easy and logical, with a nice big flat screen and about 8 different ways to input controls. Luxury marques could learn something from this
- Stereo gets r dun. Does not extend down to 25Hz but has some good wattage + low end extension and plays clean at high volumes. BT sync is dead easy as well.
- Body dynamics are definitely optimized for like 6/10ths driving but for the street that's fine. It has enough grip to drive confidently. Better tires would be appreciated. It does peg leg out of tight turns.

Minuses:
- Honestly I'm struggling. I did experience some brake fade, but that can be fixed with some more aggressive pads. For the street better tires + pads are enough, BBKs are almost always overkill.
- Rental has doo doo brown halogens and no sunroof. I would spec one with the coffee brown interior, HIDs and a sunroof.

It's kind of a shame that people write these kinds of cars off. After like 36 hours or so I really get it. For the street this makes so much sense, and it's much nicer than something like an Accord. I feel really relaxed in and when I get out of this car... big contrast to Demon Civic. This definitely changes things
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

....why are you putting another engine in your Civic?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on March 13, 2017, 07:31:16 PM

He's sprucing it up with a third engine so that it will go three times as fast. That way he can get good money for it when he trades it in on a new Murano coupe.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on March 13, 2017, 07:31:16 PM
Replacement engine had a broken power steering bracket.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 13, 2017, 08:29:19 PM
Replacement engine had a broken power steering bracket.

Power steering delete, because racecar.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

shp4man

Try a truck. You might like the view. Don't need to obsess about macho issues.  :muffin:

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

If you really like it, you can get those at huge discounts.  I'm not particularly a fan, but $6k+ off MSRP isn't difficult to get on a new one.  Not sure if that sways your decision at all.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

They are a little too much specced how I want.

Now on the other hand.......... tell me about your Genesis. The 12+ V6s are in my price range and look quick enough

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 14, 2017, 08:25:57 AM
Can I at least get some whys

You'll be fine if you skip the R-Spec suspension, which wrecked the couch part of his rocket.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 14, 2017, 08:25:57 AM
Can I at least get some whys

Give me a Toyota Avalon over a Genesis any day.

Tons of issues with me:

- Audio system would totally crap out all the time
- Tramlines really, really bad.  One of the worst I've seen in a car.  Seems like it mostly just came down to suspension geometry as the culprit.
- bad O2 sensor
- Seats were awful
- Ride was rough.  Non-R version would probably help there.  Dynamically it was still bad.  Drove like a pig on stilts.
- Steering weight was really heavy and inconsistent.  Combine that with the tramlining issue, and you're in for a tiring road trip of correcting steering.
- Korean leather is the worst.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Was it aligned to spec? What size and type of tires were you running? How are the roads by you?

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 14, 2017, 01:04:27 PM
Was it aligned to spec? What size and type of tires were you running? How are the roads by you?

I'd say it's probably not the roads  or tire size/type considering his BRZ had wider tires, and was on coilovers.

IIRC he had it aligned multiple times and even had the rear subframe or something replaced (OG was damaged) and it still wasn't any good.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

I won't lie, I like the interior of the current Maxima better than that in the Q50. Do you remember if your rental had adaptive cruise? I didn't get to try it out myself, but I heard that the system completely shuts off when it brings the car to a stop. It was a solid contender until I heard this info.

12,000 RPM

I don't know if it did. I think it was an SV so it might have. Truthfully I like the interior + stereo of the Maxima better than my G too.

MexicoCityM3

Not to be an ass, but I think you would be impressed by basically any modern car then.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 13, 2017, 08:49:50 AM
Not to be an ass, but I think you would be impressed by basically any modern car then.
Oh you're definitely being an ass. Have you ever driven one? And does it make you angry that Nissan makes a better entry level luxury sedan than BMW?

veeman

I like the styling of this generation Maxima.  Have you considered a certified one instead of new? 

12,000 RPM

I looked, but they were just out of my price range this go round. And I'm hoping my family situation will enable me to get a coupe when it's time to replace the G. I really liked the Maxima though. W/new tires and pads it would be great for pure commuter duty.