Sporty G37 thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 14, 2017, 07:19:57 PM

Char

Quote from: Cookie Monster on May 04, 2017, 10:25:39 AM
OK, in that case mine are still going strong after 3 years,  25k miles,  5 track days, and numerous autocross miles.  If they last on my car I'm sure they'll be fine durability wise for Sporty.  I don't know about his comfort or valving requirements, but they're not junk just waiting to fail either.

While everyone claims BCs =/= D2 Ksport ETC, from my understanding they are actually different. BC's will be my next purchase, as the PSS10's use progressive springs, and while they can be swapped that's even MORE cost than the steep entry. Koni based units are not in the cards for me - they seem more failure prone in comparison to monotube units...
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

I've had such mixed luck with twin tube setups. I had Koni Yellows on my first Accord in NYC for like 2-3 years and those rode great. Like a magic cloud. I also had some cheapo NEX SS coilovers on my 2nd Maxima... twin tube, lowered 3", rode like a champ for about a year. Weirdly enough the STs on the Civic are twin tube too, and NC roads are a lot better but I had a failure with them. I think this go around I'm gonna try the monotube thing... but I'm still leery of BC.... the name just says "knock off Buddy Club" to me. I like the Powertrix SS, will probably do that.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Ride comfort comes down to valving.  Koni and Bilstein use digressive valving so you can have ample damping at slow shock speeds for handling without having exponentially more damping at high shock speeds - which effect ride comfort.

Virtually any set of linear rate shocks that are tuned for performance are going to ride like ass regardless of being twin tube or monotube.

Monotube will generally have better reliability and resist fading when bring driven hard on the track.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Pretty much all coilovers worth buying on the market have digressive shock valving. And you don't want exponentially more damping at high shock speeds... here's some marketing copy from Fortune Auto

r0tor

Well, BC racing is a shit show http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-general/168885-bc-racing-er-series-coilover-comprehensive-review.html

Your fortune auto pic shows a complete run away on rebound and most Google pics show 2-3x more rebound at 9 in/s then 2 in/s even with their "ultra digressive" model.. So they suck as well

Powertrix in the same boat as Fortune... Probably because they use the same shit
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Also IMO running remarkably more rebound then compression is pure silliness

12,000 RPM

Yeech those dyno plots look pretty bad. Fortune Auto 510s don't look too bad though:

And Bilstein has its own problems:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/463756-bilstein-pss-family-2.html#post7971259

I mean here are Konis which I love and swear by:

Honestly I'm not going to worry about it... getting legit shocks costs a fortune and roads are pretty smooth here.  Not that much high speed stuff. As long as low and mid speed stuff is OK, company rep is somewhat legit and lowering is separate from preload I'm good :huh:

r0tor

Of course FatCat custom valved shocks are going to be better then stock PSS's... They cost a shit ton

Still, for the price you have to be crazy not to go Bilstein PSS

12,000 RPM

They have the same problems as everyone else for more $$$. Actually maybe more with that adjuster issue

MrH

There are definitely limitations with PSS9/10s. There's only so much you can do just by preload adjustment, which is all that dial does. I wouldn't use fat cat as your proof for anything. Dude is a total moron.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Cookie Monster

Are the spring rates and valving for the 350Z close enough for the G?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

They make them for the V36 platform too....

https://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/?product=ohlins-dfv-road-track-suspension-nissan-370z-09-13-z34

11k/10k.... a little stiff but no problem with God shocks and more weight.

r0tor

While I would whole heartily applaud the purchase of Ohlins... jumping from wanting crap Chinese shocks to proposing what has to be about the most expensive shocks is very perplexing

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2017, 09:56:13 AM
While I would whole heartily applaud the purchase of Ohlins... jumping from wanting crap Chinese shocks to proposing what has to be about the most expensive shocks is very perplexing
Those Chinese shocks are no more crap than the Bilsteins you proposed, at least according to the shock dynos you use as the barometer of crap/good

Ohlins have good build quality, good adjustability, good damping. Your default disposition is to whine though so I'm not surprised.

MrH

Lol, those Chinese shocks are definitely worse than the cheapest Bilsteins.

Ohlins are really nice, but also really expensive.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Char

Quote from: MrH on May 08, 2017, 07:14:14 AM
Lol, those Chinese shocks are definitely worse than the cheapest Bilsteins.

Ohlins are really nice, but also really expensive.
Ehhh, I don't know about that. Based on my experience - while I expect Bilstien to have better valving and longevity - the quality has been hit or miss, And the pricing is quite outrageous at times. Non adjustable, PROGRESSIVE SPRUNG coilovers, for 1.2K? Saying it's "better" without any way objectively measure it, doesn't make it true.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

r0tor

Uhh... Bilstein had a lifetime warranty, crap Chinese shock not so much

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 07, 2017, 10:03:05 AM
Those Chinese shocks are no more crap than the Bilsteins you proposed, at least according to the shock dynos you use as the barometer of crap/good

Ohlins have good build quality, good adjustability, good damping. Your default disposition is to whine though so I'm not surprised.

I'd trust the Bilsteins to last, the knockoff Chinese ones are a roll of the dice.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: Char on May 08, 2017, 11:55:01 AM
Ehhh, I don't know about that. Based on my experience - while I expect Bilstien to have better valving and longevity - the quality has been hit or miss, And the pricing is quite outrageous at times. Non adjustable, PROGRESSIVE SPRUNG coilovers, for 1.2K? Saying it's "better" without any way objectively measure it, doesn't make it true.

Why are you capitalizing "PROGRESSIVE SPRUNG" and why do you think that's significantly cheaper than a linear spring :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Char

Quote from: MrH on May 08, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
Why are you capitalizing "PROGRESSIVE SPRUNG" and why do you think that's significantly cheaper than a linear spring :wtf:

So said anything about Progressive springs being "cheaper?" I didn't. What they are is shit for anyone who wants to do any sort of aggressive driving, which is why many people convert them over to a linear spring.

Believe me, I like Bilstien products, but it's hard to justify the cost difference between "Chinese" coil overs and Bilsteins for anyone who isn't doing 3+ track days a year, and even then, We have nothing to truely compare them against.

I bought a used set of PSS9/10s with the intent of revalving them for higher spring rate linear springs - at that point, I could have bought 2 sets of "Chinese" coilovers. For a primarily street driven car, BC (KSPORT is trash, I don't care what Sporty says) is fine.

Char

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 08, 2017, 02:18:59 PM
I'd trust the Bilsteins to last, the knockoff Chinese ones are a roll of the dice.
Eh, they can be hit or miss. Most E90 guys no longer run them, but there were some early quality concerns. Longevity wise, I don't expect them to be the type that needs frequent rebuilds.

12,000 RPM

I agree that K-Sport is trash, never said otherwise.

Also not sure what relevance a lifetime warranty has on a wear item like shocks, unless that means free replacements for life. And even if that's the case, it's still a huge PITA when one blows. What do you do? Run one corner with your OEM shock? One end of the car? There's no reason shocks should blow down here, the roads are not bad at all.

r0tor

In a normal world the warranty would indicate it's designed to not have to be rebuilt/replaced every couple of years...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 09, 2017, 10:13:27 AM
In a normal world the warranty would indicate it's designed to not have to be rebuilt/replaced every couple of years...
We don't live in a normal world. In a normal world Bilstein would not cram the full range of damping adjustment in half a turn.

God damn,  I've had these PSS tires for about a week now.  These tires plus the rear sway upgrade makes the G37x an absolute weapon around corners.  I'm just blowing past everyone around the corners, dry or wet.  As good as the PSS tires are on the z06, having them on a more normal car just makes a bigger difference.  I don't think I can ever go back to having all seasons on a daily driver now.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 09, 2017, 11:21:36 AM
We don't live in a normal world. In a normal world Bilstein would not cram the full range of damping adjustment in half a turn.

You don't need to explain that you don't live in the normal world... really you don't   ;)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 09, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
You don't need to explain that you don't live in the normal world... really you don't   ;)
Strong comeback!

Regarding PSS vs DWS06s, Tire Rack tested both on the same F30:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=218

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

5ft difference braking from 50mph, 0.02g around the skidpad in the dry in favor of the PSSs.... 10ft difference and 0.02g difference in the wet in favor of the DWS06s. DWS06s are a little squishy on the Civic but they have a 50 series profile. Not as sexy as the PSSs on the internet but they're a good tire year round.

Rich

Quote from: 565 on May 09, 2017, 01:43:48 PM
God damn,  I've had these PSS tires for about a week now.  These tires plus the rear sway upgrade makes the G37x an absolute weapon around corners.  I'm just blowing past everyone around the corners, dry or wet.  As good as the PSS tires are on the z06, having them on a more normal car just makes a bigger difference.  I don't think I can ever go back to having all seasons on a daily driver now.

How are you blowing past people in the corners?🤔
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT