Will Lexus Kill The GS Next Year?

Started by cawimmer430, March 20, 2017, 09:12:44 AM

cawimmer430

Will Lexus Kill The GS Next Year?

The luxurious Lexus GS may be cancelled after its current generation, according to a new report.

Lexus Enthusiast has discovered that in the January issue of Japanese magazine MAG-X, there is a lengthy report that asserts the GS will be dropped in 2018, the year the next-generation model was initially planned to be launched.

It is asserted that Toyota recently decided to suspend the development of the next-generation GS after determining that it is no longer needed in the firm's range. The key reason for this is that the new LS will ditch the current vehicle's V8 and instead adopt a V6, meaning it would overlap with the V6-powered GS the company's range, despite the GS' smaller size.

Interestingly, even the current-generation GS wasn't assured for production with Toyota chief executive Akio Toyoda revealing in a 2011 interview that he didn't want to see the new GS reach production but was ultimately overruled by regional Lexus management teams.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/will-lexus-kill-gs-next-year.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

My sister in law used to have the Lexus GS 450h (the hybrid model).  It was something like $65 thousand but her husband leased it and the company he works for paid for it.  I thought it was beautiful and drove great.  Silent and fast.  Beautiful interior.  I hardly ever see any of them on the road though and the backseat was never that roomy.  When she had a baby they exchanged it for a Lexus RX hybrid.   

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on March 20, 2017, 10:12:47 AM
My sister in law used to have the Lexus GS 450h (the hybrid model).  It was something like $65 thousand but her husband leased it and the company he works for paid for it.  I thought it was beautiful and drove great.  Silent and fast.  Beautiful interior.  I hardly ever see any of them on the road though and the backseat was never that roomy.  When she had a baby they exchanged it for a Lexus RX hybrid. 

I've been reading the comments on numerous car news blogs about this and even enthusiasts are admitting that the Lexus ES is the better buy. Similar performance, more comfortable and roomier. The "downside"? Wrong wheel drive (for them).

Still seems like a weird decision to abandon this important market niche. I imagine it can't be that hard to improve rear leg and head room, especially since the competition has managed to pull it off numerous times, especially the Mercedes E-Classes.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

The GS is more comfortable than the ES -- much better composure without approaching stiffness. It's just more expensive. I've thought the current generation was always terribly bland on the outside, which can't be helping.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on March 20, 2017, 10:26:36 AM
The GS is more comfortable than the ES -- much better composure without approaching stiffness. It's just more expensive. I've thought the current generation was always terribly bland on the outside, which can't be helping.

Really? I don't read any reviews about the GS or ES, but from what I've heard most "enthusiasts" say the ES is more comfortable than the GS. It's often referred to as a "couch on wheels". But I'll take your word for it since you have direct experiences with these cars.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

I really like the GS. That's a shame.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 20, 2017, 11:19:17 AM
I really like the GS. That's a shame.
Me too

I would have bought one if I could afford it. I love it in and out
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

I'd be surprised.  The GS is still in a class which Lexus should be competing in.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no