Saturn announces Sky prices

Started by ifcar, January 04, 2006, 03:55:36 AM

ifcar

Saturn Puts a Price on the Sky

Saturn's new Sky roadster arrives in showrooms in the spring wearing a base pricetag of $23,690, for models with a five-speed manual transmission. A version with a five-speed automatic will cost $24,540. Standard features on the Sky, which shares its mechanicals and 177-hp four-cylinder engine with the Pontiac Solstice, include 18-inch wheels, anti-lock brakes, air conditioning, power windows/locks/mirrors, an AM/FM/CD player, and dual front airbags.  

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

If I had the cash right now, I'd buy one. Just because it's so good looking.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

autom?vel

I'm extremely excited for the new Sky.  I just hope the Aura doesn't come out as disappointing as some seem to think it'll be now.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Raza

My biggest fear about the Sky is that it will be softer than the Solstice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

QuoteMy biggest fear about the Sky is that it will be softer than the Solstice.
same here :(  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

VetteZ06

Colonel Cadillac

I hope it does to Saturn what the Solstice is doing to Pontiac.  

so cal cookie

Not bad.  
I prefer the looks of the SKY to the looks of the Solstice after looking at pics of the two.

For comparison, a Solstice equiped as close as possible is $23,215.

ifcar

QuoteI hope it does to Saturn what the Solstice is doing to Pontiac.
All it's doing for Pontiac is giving them a competitive product, inserting a second truly sporty car into the seven-car lineup of GM's "performance division".

There is nothing that indicates it's doing anything for the rest of the brand.

giant_mtb

All it's doing for Pontiac is giving them a competitive product, inserting one truly sporty car into the GM "performance division."

Perhaps that's because there isn't enough word out yet.  I've seen 0 Solstice advertisements.  I'm still seeing/hearing ads about the "first ever" G6.  That sales pitch still bugs the f'ck outta me.  First Ever!  Who cares?  :banghead:  

TurboDan

Oooooh..  it looks like a mini Corvette.  Not bad.

mazda6er

All it's doing for Pontiac is giving them a competitive product, inserting one truly sporty car into the GM "performance division."

Perhaps that's because there isn't enough word out yet.  I've seen 0 Solstice advertisements.  I'm still seeing/hearing ads about the "first ever" G6.  That sales pitch still bugs the f'ck outta me.  First Ever!  Who cares?  :banghead:
:rockon:  I totally agree.

That's when you know they've got nothing going for it: it's a new model, and their sales pitch is "Hey guys, look! It's a new model!"  :rolleyes:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

Disregarding the GTO, of course.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quite an omission. :o

Amended.  

ifcar

They can't build enough of them as it is. They need to change their blend of sporty-looking (G6, Grand Prix) and not sporty-looking (SV6, Vibe, Torrent) rebadges to actual upgrades over their mainstream versions, or get them out of the lineup.  

SJ_GTI

GM sold 2700 solstices (solsti?!?) in December. That is a huge month!

Raza

I've seen 4 times as many Solstices on new car lots than on the road, and the same amount in shopping malls.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

VetteZ06

QuoteI've seen 4 times as many Solstices on new car lots than on the road, and the same amount in shopping malls.
I was just at a Mazda dealer the other day and I saw at least eight MX-5s sitting there, not sold.

So Pontiac shouldn't worry.  :praise:  

ifcar

But Mazda is building more MX-5s than Pontiac is Solstices, correct?

VetteZ06

I actually have no idea . . . I wouldn't hesitate to guess that more MX-5s will be built, though.

SJ_GTI

QuoteBut Mazda is building more MX-5s than Pontiac is Solstices, correct?
If they are, its probably not by much (speaking for the NA market only). I have no doubt Mazda will sell every Miata they build, and probably without incentives. It has never been a high-volume car.

TBR

I think they sell 100,000+ a year, but I could be wrong.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think they sell 100,000+ a year, but I could be wrong.
That might be true for the entire world, but not for NA.

They typically sell  between 20-30k if I remember correctly. I think the 350Z and Z4 have actually been outselling the Miata lately.

TBR

I thought they had sold over a million in 1999 or something, but that might have been worldwide.  

ifcar

That's impossible. More reasonable would be if they sold their millionth in 1999.

They sold 10k Miatas and MX-5s in the US in 2005, but MX-5 production is going to be much higher IIRC.

SJ_GTI

Um, not even close. They haven't even sold that many Miata's in the history of its existence much less one year.

Again, the Miata is not a high-volume car...never has been. When you hear things like "best selling sports car" its referring to the life of the product. On a monthly sales basis it is outsold by several other sports cars.

This is not a critism of the Miata. In fact I think it is one of the keys to its longevity and I think its something GM should try to mimic with the Solstice/Sky.

TBR

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I did mean over the 9-10 years it had been in production at that point.  

Laconian

Could the wheel size be indicative of the Sky not being soft? You don't put 18 inchers on there for ride quality, that's for sure. Those are HUGE for such a small car!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BRealistic

Does it have plastic body panels?