RDX V6, Murano o Venza

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 26, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

12,000 RPM

I don't remember what year the Focus was. We went last fall, so it may have been a 15 or a 16. I didn't check. The reason I think it's a 15 is because all the pictures I'm seeing of SYNC3 look like this:

and the Focus definitely looked like this:

I don't know if SYNC3 has the old skin available, and the Focus definitely didn't have the capacitive touch fake button bullshit, but I remember it being really good. Probably among the best of the systems I've used. The MKX is half a step above the rest in refinement and content as well for the same money. Definitely have to check it out.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

OK, so we just got back. Cliffs, we're getting an MKX. Drove the Murano, Venza, Edge and obviously MKX. Common themes.... these all feel a bit big, but I think they are right sized. Rear visibility on all of them sucked. None of them felt slow, but none were like "OMG nice!". I can only imagine how miserable something this size would be with a lumpy ass 2.0T. I think all the mainstreamers had a surprising amount of scuttle shake, at least compared to the G and MKX. Maybe that was just rattles.

Edge Limited- Not bad IMO. Good dynamics, good ride quality. Still crazy floaty boaty compared to the G obviously. My Ford Touch works OK. A little convoluted, but *almost* everything worked. Wifey's problem with it.... it felt cheap + mainstreamish after spending a month in the G. Mind you this was the top trim. She didn't even bother test driving it. Side note, the rear view camera image was upside down :wtf:

Murano- Very similar to the Edge. A little worse of a drive IMO. The CVT + engine combo feel slightly strained here compared to the Max. Obviously didn't have the same magic. I preferred the Edge's drivetrain. Overall the interior felt very cheap. In pictures it looks exactly like the G, but in real life all the materials are cheaper. Also this version had no navigation and wifey was put off by the low res screen (she is a graphic designer).

Venza- Interesting. We drove an older one with no nav. Highlights of it were the drivetrain... best of probably all of the ones we drove today to be honest. Handled OK. Problem was the interior. Again felt cheap. Also, with those big ass stock 22s, there was a lot of tire roar. The ride was a good bit choppier too over the exact same route. It was a bit more buttoned down than the rest but hardly heads and shoulders above the rest.... the dynamic gains were not worth the ride quality/NVH losses.

*leave shitty dealership, drive to CarMax*

MKX- As mentioned best of the bunch. OK, it's obviously a dolled up Edge, but that's not the end of the world. I liked how the Edge drove. MKX addresses pretty much everything else I didn't like. As soon as you step in it just feels nicer. A little less road noise. All the touch surfaces are nicer obviously. Better stereo. Doesn't have as much pep as the Edge but it gets out of its own way. I think the Edge might have been FWD. Wifey really liked it. It feels nicer and is more relaxing to drive. She also liked the interior color (kind of a greyish-beige with brown piping on the seats). My only gripe is the dash is angled in a way that generates a lot of glare when the sun is high. I didn't mention it though and I don't think she noticed. Also this one is not top of the line.... no moonroof, no adaptive cruise. Would have been nice and there's a black on black one with all the bells and whistles but neither of us want another black on black car in this hot sunny ass Southern climate. It's too hot and roads are too fast for window/sunroof open driving anyway. Other than that, not bad. So we're gonna pick it up tomorrow. I like the exterior color.... it's a burgundy with a nice flake. Wifey is meh on it though.

So now all that's left is the Civic..... 

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Thanks, I just hope Submariner and MCM will forgive me.

giant_mtb

Strange about the Edge's rear camera image. Suggests to me that the camera was removed and put back in upside down...might have been an accident at the rear end at some point.

Anyways, congrats!

12,000 RPM

Thanks. After spending a day with it, some more thoughts.

- My Ford Lincoln Touch is OK. Not the best, but livable. Truthfully, aside from the lack of buttons, better than the G. More responsive. I thought about the RX350, but the infotainment in that is even worse with that mouse. Wifey hates that control wheel shit, she likes touch screens and buttons.

- I know "real" luxury isn't feature content, but I do love all the features. Heated + cooled seats, remote start, power liftgate, heat*ed steering wheel, auto lights and wipers + all the base luxury shit. It's a very convenient ride. Way better loaded than the G which itself is fully loaded.

- For all the hemming and hawing about "lazy rebadges".... this thing was def worth the premium over a top of the line Edge. This was $39K new; Edge Limited was $35K new. The upgrades to the interior and the better stereo are easily worth that $4K and I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing.

- Road noise is a little higher than I'd like but we will look into quieter tires once it's time to replace them.

- I'm still slightly reeling over getting my first American car. I mean I'm not that skeeved out.... obviously we bought it. It's as nice as any 2nd tier foreign luxury brand and I know the mechanicals are solid. But if you had asked me even 5 years ago if I ever thought I'd buy an American car I'd probably have laughed. But the quality and value, particularly used, are kind of hard to ignore.

Overall though I'm happy and more importantly wifey is happy.

Rich

Yeah I can't imagine you buying a Lincoln of all things. Congrats though
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

Congratulations.  The MKX was on our short list and we even considered the Edge Sport 2.7 Twin Turbos.

What engine is it?

Enjoy.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

I think it's their corporate 3.5 N/A motor. Gets the job done. Wifey is a sane driver so it's more than enough. Truthfully a CR-V or something would have been enough, but that would have been louder and less refined. Ours is an old one- 2011 (cue Dave Ramsey groans). But wifey doesn't drive much (10K/yr) and the Rabbit was the same age when we bought it... and this thing is in much better shape.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 29, 2017, 11:18:06 AM
I think it's their corporate 3.5 N/A motor. Gets the job done. Wifey is a sane driver so it's more than enough. Truthfully a CR-V or something would have been enough, but that would have been louder and less refined. Ours is an old one- 2011 (cue Dave Ramsey groans). But wifey doesn't drive much (10K/yr) and the Rabbit was the same age when we bought it... and this thing is in much better shape.
2011 was a pretty good year for the MKX, I believe they got the slightly bigger 3.7 L engine.  The styling, imo, is also more distinctive than the more current models, especially the rear...don't like the tail light assembly on the new models.

Best of luck with it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 29, 2017, 11:28:35 AM
2011 was a pretty good year for the MKX, I believe they got the slightly bigger 3.7 L engine.  The styling, imo, is also more distinctive than the more current models, especially the rear...don't like the tail light assembly on the new models.

Best of luck with it.

Yeah, if it's a post-facelift 1st gen, it has the 3.7.  The 3.5 is a good motor, too, but I'm really partial to the 3.7.  Super flat torque curve.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 29, 2017, 11:45:09 AM
Congrats. Pics.

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 29, 2017, 11:28:35 AM

Best of luck with it.
Yea the pre-facelift versions of my gen is pretty awful looking as well. I do like the current one though. Tail lights aside it looks like it was a big step forward in all important attributes for the segment.

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Slick ride.

Most complaints about GM/Ford cars are specific - the terrible DCT in Focuses for example. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Lincoln.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

CR has it all over the map. It does look like the transmission can get out of sorts but other than that it's OK.

Infotainment gets dinged big time but I think a lot of that is just from old people who don't understand technology. Again I find this system a good bit easier to use than iDrive for example.

giant_mtb

Does the Bluetooth work?  I seem to remember you having some old man issues with BT... :lol:

12,000 RPM

In the BMW, yea, shit was wonky. It works great in the MKX though. Speaking of which, I need to run a sweep on the stereo and see how it sounds. It's THX certified :pee: I'm going to bet this thing's stereo sounds better than the one in the G too (at least till I get my subs)

veeman

Congratulations!  I had a rental MKX a few years ago and drove it on a long interstate trip with the family.  I liked it a lot.  I especially like the color you got.  I remember thinking it felt very similar to my Buick Enclave, just with a smaller footprint.  I'm sure the Ford/Lincoln Touch is better than what Buick offers.  How many miles on it and what kind of warranty did it come with?  Did finance try to get you to buy an extended warranty?  I'm assuming it's a certified used car.

Laconian

The G37 stereo is shit - classic Bose crappiness - I'm sure the MKX tops it there.

I'm happy you made good on your contrarianness this time. Last time you were talking up the 200 before going totally basic with the G. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Congrats!

I dig that coloure.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on May 29, 2017, 04:01:52 PM
Congratulations!  I had a rental MKX a few years ago and drove it on a long interstate trip with the family.  I liked it a lot.  I especially like the color you got.  I remember thinking it felt very similar to my Buick Enclave, just with a smaller footprint.  I'm sure the Ford/Lincoln Touch is better than what Buick offers.  How many miles on it and what kind of warranty did it come with?  Did finance try to get you to buy an extended warranty?  I'm assuming it's a certified used car.
We bought from Carmax. Easily the nicest financed purchase experience I've had. No warranty but I am considering it. It has 75K miles I think, but again wifey drives like 10K/year, and that has included some mega road trips we probably won't be taking this year. So we'll see.
Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2017, 06:24:33 PM
The G37 stereo is shit - classic Bose crappiness - I'm sure the MKX tops it there.

I'm happy you made good on your contrarianness this time. Last time you were talking up the 200 before going totally basic with the G. ;)
It wasn't driven by bravery or trolling sadly. Just the best value for the money and what we wanted. If there were a 200 based crossover (aka what the 200 should have been in the first place) we definitely would have went that way :devil:

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 29, 2017, 07:25:06 PM
If there were a 200 based crossover (aka what the 200 should have been in the first place) we definitely would have went that way :devil:

You mean like the Cherokee?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

What modz are in store for it?

12,000 RPM

I was honestly thinking about 20s and the Edge Sport suspension until I actually drove it. No way. Put that money into the G and the bike

Rich

I think it needs some coilovers

12,000 RPM

All I think it needs are better brakes and tires. But for what it is it's pretty solid out of the box

SJ_GTI