RDX V6, Murano o Venza

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 26, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on April 04, 2017, 01:10:56 PM
It's hard to argue with the CRV if looking at it objectively, and since your wife doesn't seem to care about much of the subjective stuff that is something you should probably include.

The RDX is just a fancy CRV with a bigger engine, right? Sounds like a good choice to me if it's in the price range.

Laconian

But she doesn't care about power? The CR-V isn't slow. 7.5s 0-60
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on April 04, 2017, 02:03:59 PM
But she doesn't care about power? The CR-V isn't slow. 7.5s 0-60

Presumably Sporty will occasionally drive it - he'd probably appreciate the extra power.

The CR-V is also not a bad choice though.

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 10:43:19 AM
It's easier just keeping the car seat in the car regardless of what it is.

Compared to something like a Jetta wagon, the only benefit of a FWD CUV is seat height.  The downsides usually include space, fuel economy, ride comfort, braking, handling, acceleration... almost like it's a minivan that lacks all the usefulness of a minivan (well because fwd CUVs are)

The Jetta wagon doesn't have great interior room or gas mileage, though. The idea of a wagon is excellent, but the execution isn't always there the few times we happen to get one.

r0tor

Meh, I just should have went with my original ideas of suggesting an Escalade rolling on dubs with a "BLM" license plate
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 03:55:15 PM
Meh, I just should have went with my original ideas of suggesting an Escalade rolling on dubs with a "BLM" license plate
Why bother? You've already demonstrated several times over you're an idiot. Do you get off by perpetually making a fool of yourself?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 04, 2017, 02:18:31 PM
Presumably Sporty will occasionally drive it - he'd probably appreciate the extra power.

The CR-V is also not a bad choice though.
Exactly. For me there's also the added value of it not being completely ubiquitous.

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2017, 03:18:43 PM
The Jetta wagon doesn't have great interior room or gas mileage, though. The idea of a wagon is excellent, but the execution isn't always there the few times we happen to get one.
Exactly. As much as it hurts enthusiasts to hear the wagon died off for pretty good reason, and was in its death throes long before the crossover's ascendancy.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2017, 04:15:22 PM
Why bother? You've already demonstrated several times over you're an idiot. Do you get off by perpetually making a fool of yourself?

Ouch, that really hurts bro  :cry:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

It must for you to continue to follow me around like this. It's gone from funny to sad.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2017, 04:17:30 PM
Exactly. As much as it hurts enthusiasts to hear the wagon died off for pretty good reason, and was in its death throes long before the crossover's ascendancy.

Well, that's not quite what I said. I said that because the idea of a wagon is good doesn't mean that every wagon is executed well. But at the same time, the fact that the Jetta wagon is flawed doesn't mean that wagons in general are flawed.

SJ_GTI

Going from a sedan back to a hatch has given me some appreciation for CUV's. They are, after all, just slightly larger and lifted hatchbacks in the end. I would rather stick with the smaller/lower hatchback myself but I can see the appeal to other folks (particularly in comparison to sedans).

12,000 RPM

What do you guys think about the last gen MKX?

The facelifted one with the 3.7 and waterfall grill. This doesn't have the facelifted grill but it is on 22s

Decent review from C&D too

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-lincoln-mkx-road-test-review

But MyFord Touch :(

giant_mtb

Probably a much better interior than the Edge.  I'd avoid rubber band tires, but I don't live in the south where nice roads exist. :lol:

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 19, 2017, 06:19:29 PM
What do you guys think about the last gen MKX?

The facelifted one with the 3.7 and waterfall grill. This doesn't have the facelifted grill but it is on 22s

Decent review from C&D too

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-lincoln-mkx-road-test-review

But MyFord Touch :(

Get a facelifted car, not the one pictured here. Old style interior is plasticky.

Also, FWIW, the interior space is not what it seems on those. It's more like a wide Escape.

MX793

I'm partial to the MKC, personally.  Great-looking car, inside and out.  No V6 option, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on May 19, 2017, 06:41:34 PM

Get a facelifted car, not the one pictured here. Old style interior is plasticky.

Also, FWIW, the interior space is not what it seems on those. It's more like a wide Escape.

I had plenty of space in the rear seats.  Cargo space might not be huge but it's still a good size.  Ford/Lincoln have great seats too.  Wifey should like that.

Also do your research for transmission issues.  My friend replaces them all the time.  I don't think it's a design flaw or something, but they don't hold up well to slightly higher than average abuse.  If your wife is one of those type of people that could be considered hard on her vehicles you may want to steer clear.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

She has been getting 2-3 MPG better than me in the G. Transmission issues would suck though. But we had decent luck with the VW, so why not roll the dice on a Ford :lol:

That MyTouch shit could be a deal breaker though, especially in comparison to the Nissan/Infiniti infotainment.... which is a little old in the tooth, but so far dead reliable and easy to use. C&D was talking about how it froze on them during their test.... maybe they have updated the firmware but that shit shouldn't even be necessary. And there are no buttons in the center console either. We'd def have to play with one. I do the "lets connect my phone through BT" test whenever I can.

2o6

SYNC was the reason why I didn't buy a Focus or Fiesta.

It sucked ass

12,000 RPM

They make them without it. Speaking of which, they make the Edge with the 3.7 and no SYNC, but it's pretty low rent. Bummer as I'd love that extra 60HP over the Murano. Venza and Murano it is.

giant_mtb

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2017, 05:01:06 PM
They make them without it. Speaking of which, they make the Edge with the 3.7 and no SYNC, but it's pretty low rent. Bummer as I'd love that extra 60HP over the Murano. Venza and Murano it is.

The 3.7L Edge was the Sport trim and it was not available without MFT.  Wasn't the low rent model (sat between base and the top trim).  The earlier Sport trim (pre-'11) may have been available with just SYNC 1 (non MFT version), but that one only got the 3.5L.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on May 20, 2017, 05:12:01 PM
The 3.7L Edge was the Sport trim and it was not available without MFT.  Wasn't the low rent model (sat between base and the top trim).  The earlier Sport trim (pre-'11) may have been available with just SYNC 1 (non MFT version), but that one only got the 3.5L.
Oh yea, you're right. Still, the 3.5 in the facelifted one is a good 45HP up on the Murano. It's also better to drive dynamically.
Quote from: giant_mtb on May 20, 2017, 05:02:22 PM
What about an Acadia? 
Nah, I'm not a fan of 3 row crossovers. Aside from the Highlander & Explorer they are all really ugly, and they all have useless back seats and cargo space (either one or the other). If we ever need 3 rows, and we'd be so fucked if we did, I'd just get a minivan. I like the Sedona, Pacifica and even the Quest, at least visually.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
. I like the Sedona, Pacifica and even the Quest, at least visually.

ew, the Yota and Odyssey are better.  They do have a hybrid plugin Pacifica coming, do 30miles every day without using gas. But it's 100% functional for long trips- same as the regular but weighs 600lbs more and doesn't have stow&go for 2nd row. 
Will

12,000 RPM

I know the Odyssey is probably better overall and is fun o drive for the segment... but I find them to be pretty ugly. Toyota has nothing going for it but "dependability". Blah. I need to get something back from the ownership experience besides transportation.

It's a shame we don't get the smaller minivans but the Venza is close enough :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Mazda 5 with 3rd pedal. Would be fun building a mazda speed version....
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Nah, I'm not a fan of 3 row crossovers. Aside from the Highlander & Explorer they are all really ugly, and they all have useless back seats and cargo space (either one or the other). If we ever need 3 rows, and we'd be so fucked if we did, I'd just get a minivan. I like the Sedona, Pacifica and even the Quest, at least visually.

Fair points.

12,000 RPM

I don't know that a 3 row would fit in our garage nicely either. I'm actually going to have to rearrange some stuff in there to fit both cars in the winter.

Like I said in the Rabbit thread.... it's totaled.... timeline has been compressed significantly. Gonna look at the Venza and Murano. Given wifey's dislike of the G's navi we might be leaning more towards the Venza. I want to look at a CR-V and the Sportage as well. They're about as fast as the Accord 2.4 which I thought was fine for the street.

12,000 RPM

I can't shake the MKX. I was thinking about the Focus wagon we had in Europe.... it had MyFord Touch and it worked really well. Granted, it had knobs for HVAC and volume, but I think a lot of the time I used the steering wheel controls (for audio). A lot of the complaints were from when it first came out; they did some upgrades that fixed the stability issues. I'm gonna check one out

Tave

Don't buy or not buy a car based on the infotainment. The worst that can be said of the worst is they're too idiosyncratic and not intuitive enough, which is a moot issue after a couple weeks/months of ownership. Get the car you want.

We didn't buy cars in the 90s based on how easy it was to set the clock and radio channels.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2017, 08:50:18 PM
I can't shake the MKX. I was thinking about the Focus wagon we had in Europe.... it had MyFord Touch and it worked really well. Granted, it had knobs for HVAC and volume, but I think a lot of the time I used the steering wheel controls (for audio). A lot of the complaints were from when it first came out; they did some upgrades that fixed the stability issues. I'm gonna check one out

What year was the Focus?  Ford rolled out SYNC 3 starting in 2016.  While outwardly similar to MFT, it is built on a completely different architecture, both HW and SW (no longer MSFT based).  I've yet to hear many complaints about SYNC 3.

There have been a number of updates to MFT to try to address consumer complaints.  Consensus is that it got much better by the end of it's run, but never great (hence why SYNC 3 essentially started from scratch on a totally different OS).
Needs more Jiggawatts