Got Farfenugened

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 28, 2017, 05:22:06 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 27, 2017, 08:24:28 PM
Most states require you carry either traditional insurance or an alternate insurance vehicle (like proof of financial responsibility, which is a sort of bond).  There's only a couple that require nothing.  And all of those that require it require proof of insurance to register a vehicle.  That said, I think most of those without it had it when they got their plates and then either let it lapse or cancelled it.  I know that here, if you let your insurance lapse, the DMV suspends your registration and if you don't either turn in your plates or show proof of new insurance (and pay a fine for the lapsed period) within a certain period of time, they suspend your license.  That said, lots of folks are willing to risk it.  Unless cops are randomly running plates, you're unlikely to get caught just for uninsured operation or driving with a suspended registration.  It's only when they get pulled over for some other infraction, or in an accident, that it gets caught.  For folks too broke to afford insurance, I guess they feel that don't have much to lose if they do cause an accident because you can't get much out of suing somebody who's already broke.

And that's why uninsured insurance is the most important coverage
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

I imagine uninsured motorist coverage functions well now but I know a guy who years ago got hit by an uninsured driver and his insurance company refused to pay for damages because he couldn't prove that the uninsured driver did not pay him out of pocket. It is incredible the games some insurance companies will play to get out of paying for damage.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on April 27, 2017, 08:12:45 PM
How do people drive without insurance? Here you can't register a car and get a licence plate without proof of insurance.

At least in Ontario, when you go to register a car/get plates, they don't run your insurance policy number on the spot. They put it into their system (you need to provide a policy #, I don't think you actually need to even show your pink slip) and take your word for it. Now I assume the policy number does get validated at some point, but I don't think it happens on the spot.

It does seem like the government does run the policy numbers towards the beginning of a calendar year and send out letters to individuals under some circumstances - I don't remember what those reasons were but it was clear the government knew when the policy expired which they could've only known from running the policy number.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

My registration always says "insurance verified by Avis"
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Utah pays some third party to verify liability coverage.. Serious hassle back when I was registering with them.
Will

12,000 RPM

Interesting that DMVs can communicate accidents and traffic violations to insurers but insurers can't communicate insurance status back :hmm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 28, 2017, 05:51:37 PM
Interesting that DMVs can communicate accidents and traffic violations to insurers but insurers can't communicate insurance status back :hmm:

NY tracks it.  There was an error in the paperwork when transferring my insurance from my Nissan to my Mazda and about 30 days after I bought the Mazda, I got a letter informing me I'd been without insurance and needed to provide proof of new insurance or have my insurance company send an electronic verification of insurance and pay a fine or they'd suspend my registration and then my license.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Fuck, that was actually pretty funny :lol:

12,000 RPM

Got the Rabbit back. Not as bad as I thought. Looks like the guy just kissed the side of it and the wheel took the brunt of the impact. *Hopefully* all I have to replace is the rear bumper cover, driver side tail light and the driver side lateral suspension link. The driver's side rear quarter panel is dented as well but it's fine. If we sell to the in laws they will know exactly what the deal is.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 30, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Got the Rabbit back. Not as bad as I thought. Looks like the guy just kissed the side of it and the wheel took the brunt of the impact. *Hopefully* all I have to replace is the rear bumper cover, driver side tail light and the driver side lateral suspension link. The driver's side rear quarter panel is dented as well but it's fine. If we sell to the in laws they will know exactly what the deal is.

Did you take it to a body shop? Usually any quarter panel damage = totaled.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2017, 12:42:33 PM

Did you take it to a body shop? Usually any quarter panel damage = totaled.

Quarter panels are not that expensive to replace.  Unless the car is only worth a couple grand, it shouldn't total it.  Depending on where it is on the panel and how bad, it may be possible to pull the dent without replacing the panel (maybe a little body filler and fresh paint).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2017, 12:47:51 PM
Quarter panels are not that expensive to replace.  Unless the car is only worth a couple grand, it shouldn't total it.  Depending on where it is on the panel and how bad, it may be possible to pull the dent without replacing the panel (maybe a little body filler and fresh paint).

Isn't it like a 2006? A car this old, it might get totaled

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2017, 12:54:07 PM
Isn't it like a 2006? A car this old, it might get totaled

Depending on mileage and options, it may still be worth 6-7 grand.  And depending on the dent, it may be cosmetically repairable (pulled and filled) for much less than a replacement.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2017, 01:01:33 PM
Depending on mileage and options, it may still be worth 6-7 grand.  And depending on the dent, it may be cosmetically repairable (pulled and filled) for much less than a replacement.
It's worth more like $3-4K in immaculate condition. It looks like it can be pulled and filled, just not sure it's worth it at this point. My hope and dream is that I will just be able to replace the trailing arm and tail light and have it at least be functional. The cosmetic stuff is whatever. Then if we can get the in laws to buy it we'll be golden. Def gonna force that issue.

12,000 RPM

Interesting stuff... instead of sending an agent out, they did the estimate by photos I send in. Hope I don't get Farfegnugened again when they say "actually we didn't see this frame damage.... totalled kthbye"

12,000 RPM

Rabbit = totalled. Not going to bother fixing it.... just take the check and keep moving. Fucking sucks, we literally paid it off maybe a month prior :cry:

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2017, 12:52:13 PM
Rabbit = totalled. Not going to bother fixing it.... just take the check and keep moving. Fucking sucks, we literally paid it off maybe a month prior :cry:

told you  :(

12,000 RPM

Thank God we had insurance. Pro tip, a high deductible makes sense on a more expensive car, but on cheap shit it can make a huge difference. O well. By next Tuesday wifey will be riding high.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2017, 01:16:59 PM
Thank God we had insurance. Pro tip, a high deductible makes sense on a more expensive car, but on cheap shit it can make a huge difference. O well. By next Tuesday wifey will be riding high.

One thing I noticed on Le Sigh is going from a $500 deductible to $250 was only like $50 every six months.  Pretty easy choice imo.

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on May 26, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
One thing I noticed on Le Sigh is going from a $500 deductible to $250 was only like $50 every six months.  Pretty easy choice imo.

Wait, which choice did you make?  The $500 deductible makes more sense to me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2017, 01:16:59 PM

You can't register a car in NC without insurance.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on June 07, 2017, 01:27:57 PM

How do they prove it?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on June 07, 2017, 01:52:56 PM
How do they prove it?

You have to bring your valid insurance slip in with you when you register it at the DMV.

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on June 07, 2017, 01:52:56 PM
How do they prove it?

Seriously? Haven't you worked for a dealer?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Soup DeVille

Yes, but you can cancel it afterwards and there's general no check on that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 07, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
Yes, but you can cancel it afterwards and there's general no check on that.

Not in NC. Your insurance company will notify DMV of any lapse and it's an automatic $50 penalty, and you have to provide proof of re-insurance or DMV revokes your registration.

12,000 RPM

All they need is a policy number. CarMax didn't actually check that the MKX was on it- I just remembered to actually add it last night....

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2017, 02:26:21 PM
All they need is a policy number. CarMax didn't actually check that the MKX was on it- I just remembered to actually add it last night....

You'll probably be OK as they give you a little leeway when you transfer the policy to a new car, but try to remember to notify your insurance company ahead of time on your next purchase, and don't be surprised if you get a lapse notice in the mail.