The New Porsche 928

Started by BMWDave, January 04, 2006, 08:41:42 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I can't really read the French, but if this is a photoshop, the artist drew too heavily on the Aston V8 and BMW 650ci.  The 928 is more the people's Porsche than the Boxster is--therefore don't expect such flashy styling.  If there ever is a successor to the 928 or any other front engine Porsche, expect something very different than we're used to seeing.  This car has to compete with the 350Z and S2000.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI can't really read the French, but if this is a photoshop, the artist drew too heavily on the Aston V8 and BMW 650ci.  The 928 is more the people's Porsche than the Boxster is--therefore don't expect such flashy styling.  If there ever is a successor to the 928 or any other front engine Porsche, expect something very different than we're used to seeing.  This car has to compete with the 350Z and S2000.
I completely disagree.  The 928 was typically priced even higher than the 911.  In 1995, the last year of its run, it was 81K new.  That was a LOT more than a 911 of the same age! The 928 was a GT car, pure and simple, that could be sporty at times.  It was designed to compete with Ferrari GT cars.  The Boxster is the car that competes with the cars you mentioned.

2007 Honda S2000

Rupert

Raza- Are you thinking 924 or 944?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BMWDave

QuoteRaza- Are you thinking 924 or 944?
He must be :mellow:

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Anyways, back on topic.  I think this car looks very good, although I do see some Aston V8 and BMW 6er styling cues.  

Simply put, there is no reason Porsche shouldnt have a 928esque car in their lineup now.  The old 928 was QUITE a capable performance machine, and sharks with boost are known to run 4.2 sec 0-60s.  Porsche would have a lot to live up to.  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

Looks really awesome but I think it's a chop.  The wheel wells are too tight for a production car.  If the car took a bump while turning the front fenders would fall off.

ifcar

This looks like a chop of the Porsche sedan sketches. And the rear looks terrible.  

J86

The French says nothing about the car, just "Good evening, here is some photo of the new 928, I am in love!"

TBR

It's ugly and it won't happen, it just doesn't make sense when they already have two sports coupes, one of which is a very capable GT.

Colonel Cadillac

I wouldn't mind if they made a version of this to compete with the 575M, but it seems like Porsche is putting too much in similar markets (Caymen:911).

Raza

QuoteRaza- Are you thinking 924 or 944?
He must be :mellow:
Yes, I most definitely am.  I must have been confused by the visual similarities:

In any case, I do think a new front engine 924/944 cheaper Porsche would be a great idea.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.