W123 & W213 Mercedes E-Class Sedans Rendered To Depict 40 Years Of Evolution

Started by cawimmer430, April 29, 2017, 08:56:06 AM

cawimmer430

Love the W123. My favorite E-Class followed by the W210 and then the W114/W115s.  :wub:

W123 & W213 Mercedes E-Class Sedans Rendered To Depict 40 Years Of Evolution

If you're a fan of the old W123 sedan, observing it next to the W213 E-Class might just give you a new perspective on just how far Mercedes have come in terms of design.

Another reason to enjoy these renderings is that not only do they offer a glimpse at 40 years of Mercedes-Benz design evolution, but also the evolution of the automotive industry itself and how it's been shaped by time.

Responsible for these images is one Mihai Tarus from Prague. So what can we say about these two models? Well, we can't help but appreciate the fact that 40 years after the W123 was designed, its predecessor is still using a similar formula - sort of. What we mean is that it's still rocking the long bonnet, short front overhang and a long rear overhang typical of luxury sedans with a front engine, rear-wheel drive layout.

By the way, those of you in the mood for a mental exercise, try imagining what somebody from 1976 would say if they saw the W213 E-Class in front of their eyes.

In fact, take away the wheels, and the 2017 model, with its rounded off panels and imposing stance, could have easily been confused for a futuristic mini-submarine of sorts, 40 years ago.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/04/w123-w213-mercedes-e-class-sedans.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

They're all good looking (with the possible exception of the ~08 Accord-esque W212), but I think the facelifted W211 might be the best looking sedan Mercedes has made.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 29, 2017, 09:03:40 AM
They're all good looking (with the possible exception of the ~08 Accord-esque W212), but I think the facelifted W211 might be the best looking sedan Mercedes has made.

The W211 was also the first E-Class where steering feedback played a role. The W210 still drove like a boat whereas the W211 suddenly felt like a BMW.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 29, 2017, 10:19:05 AM
I like the old ones better.  Much better styling.

Yeah, I also like the older Mercedes' as well.

Some of the newer ones look pretty nice, though; A-Class, C-Class (Sedan, Wagon and Coupe) and of course the S-Class (and its Coupe/Convertible versions). The new E-Class can look pretty nice in AMG trim, like the E43 AMG model below...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Problem with the new ones is unlike the old ones they need all kinds of chintz and bedazzlment to have any kind of presence.

I'm not sure what trim this is, but it's an E200, and it looks really busy. I guess this is what the market wants, but I'd like to think a solid design wouldn't need the huge wheels or huge bumper nostrils
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

I've said this recently. I really like Merc design these days. But probably half of it is simply me getting older.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 29, 2017, 03:29:32 PM
Problem with the new ones is unlike the old ones they need all kinds of chintz and bedazzlment to have any kind of presence.

I don't think any E-Class has really had "presence" in the sense that they scream "LOOK AT ME". All of them have been rather conservatively styled. It seems the clientele in this class prefers an understated design. And those that wanna glitz it up can order sporty body kits, rims etc.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

I've always been partial to the 124, but lately I've been starting to appreciate the 123 more and more, mostly as the car that got most of the American masses familiar with the brand and its reputation for quality.

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 29, 2017, 09:03:40 AM
They're all good looking (with the possible exception of the ~08 Accord-esque W212)

I would take exception to that, except I did mistake a 2013+ Accord for my car in a parking lot once 😝

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2017, 04:24:47 PM
I don't think any E-Class has really had "presence" in the sense that they scream "LOOK AT ME". All of them have been rather conservatively styled.

Yup, I definitely noticed that. I'm usually quick to notice one of my "twins" on the road, but between the conservative styling and their ubiquity in the more affluent areas, they go by unnoticed quite easily. Cadillac CTS's still catch my eye more easily.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 30, 2017, 08:53:51 AM
I've always been partial to the 124, but lately I've been starting to appreciate the 123 more and more, mostly as the car that got most of the American masses familiar with the brand and its reputation for quality.

For some reason I never liked the W124 (great interior design, though) - or the early '90s Benzes for that matter.  ;)

I recently saw a W140 S-Class parked on a street and I was astounded at how massive and bland it looked. I mean really bland. All S-Classes before it had class and character, but the W140 to me was always a big and bland barge.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2017, 12:26:31 PM
For some reason I never liked the W124 (great interior design, though) - or the early '90s Benzes for that matter.  ;)

I recently saw a W140 S-Class parked on a street and I was astounded at how massive and bland it looked. I mean really bland. All S-Classes before it had class and character, but the W140 to me was always a big and bland barge.

It's mostly a nostaglia thing. I remember as a kid in the late-80's and early-90's, cars like the 124, 126, and 140 being what the "Alpha Dog" types drove, while the 123 was more for quirky college professors in tweed jackets.

Morris Minor

When is the straight-six coming? I just don't see American buyers in this segment flocking to the four. They're going to want a cushy non-AMG six.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 01, 2017, 05:29:29 AM
When is the straight-six coming? I just don't see American buyers in this segment flocking to the four. They're going to want a cushy non-AMG six.

It should be arriving soon from what I've read. I don't know what is taking so long. But maybe it will be introduced after the facelift...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

cawimmer430

This is from November 2016...

Hallelujah: Mercedes is bringing back the straight-six
Classic inline six-cylinder design joins new Mercedes engine family

Mercedes-Benz took the wraps off four new engines this week: a 3.0-liter inline-six, a 3.0-liter diesel inline-six, a twin-turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder and a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8. The latter will make an appearance in the updated 2017 S-Class, and the four-cylinder can go into just about any globally offered model; it's the straight-sixes that present the most interest for the U.S. market.

Codenamed M256, the new 3.0-liter straight-six gas engine pumps out 408 hp and 368 lb-ft of torque; that's up from 333 hp and 245 lb-ft of torque in the M276 V6 engine it replaces. One interesting aspect of this new unit is an Integrated Starter-Alternator and electric auxiliary compressor that work together to fight turbo lag; the latter is capable of spinning up to 70,000 rpm in one-third of a second. Mercedes says this new straight-six offers the same performance as an eight-cylinder while offering better fuel efficiency.

Mercedes isn't ditching eight-cylinder engines; the new M176 gasoline biturbo V8 is headed into Stuttgart's larger vehicles. With 476 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque on tap, the V8 replaces a 455-hp engine while consuming 10 percent less fuel. Cylinder deactivation will help save even more -- this unit is able to shut down four of its cylinders depending on the driving mode chosen.

One powerplant we probably won't see in the U.S. is the new inline-six diesel dubbed OM656. Churning out 313 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, this aluminum diesel features Nanoslide coating on its cylinder walls, which reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

"The new OM656, too, employs the Mercedes-Benz stepped-bowl combustion process -- named after the shape of the combustion bowl in the piston," Mercedes says. "The stepped bowl has a positive effect on the combustion process, the thermal loading of critical areas of the pistons and the introduction of soot into the engine oil. The efficiency is increased by the higher burning rate in comparison with the previous omega combustion bowl. The characteristic feature of the specifically configured combination of bowl shape, air movement and injector is its very efficient utilization of air, which allows operation with very high air surplus. This means that particulate emissions can be reduced to an especially low level."

Continuing the theme of engines with two fewer cylinders replacing larger units, Mercedes plans to roll out a 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline unit codenamed M264. Equipped with a twin-scroll turbocharger, this engine will also feature a very compact compressor housing that Mercedes says will improve engine response to accelerator input. Specs for this engine haven't been finalized yet, but Mercedes is promising 134 hp per liter.

One common thread that runs across these new engines is the debut of the 48-volt electrical system and the integration of the alternator and starter.

"The Integrated Starter-Alternator combines starter and alternator in one powerful electric motor that is installed between engine and transmission and is also used for cold starting," Mercedes says. "The integrated electric motor assists the engine, for example during acceleration, and supplies the battery with power by means of high-efficiency energy recovery."

Where will the U.S. see these engines? The updated 2017 Mercedes S-Class will certainly receive the new V8 and perhaps the gasoline inline-six, though where the rest of the new engines will wind up has not been confirmed yet.

Link: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/new-straight-sixes-headline-mercedes-engine-lineup

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

Maybe they'll stick it in the 2018 model. Meanwhile Tesla rules supreme in this segment.

12,000 RPM

That's really interesting new about the motors. 48V stuff looks really promising.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2017, 05:35:09 PM
That's really interesting new about the motors. 48V stuff looks really promising.
Straight sixes are good - smooth as silk - they're just a bit long & tall and so trickier to package.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 04, 2017, 05:05:28 AM
Straight sixes are good - smooth as silk - they're just a bit long & tall and so trickier to package.
They can compensate by putting accessories on the side of the block rather than in front. I think that's what BMW does. What I'm more interested in is the 48V system. They might be able to do away with everything besides the starternator. I'm hoping that 48V shit becomes more mainstream... crank driven accessories are sooooo 20th century :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 04, 2017, 06:04:19 AM
They can compensate by putting accessories on the side of the block rather than in front. I think that's what BMW does. What I'm more interested in is the 48V system. They might be able to do away with everything besides the starternator. I'm hoping that 48V shit becomes more mainstream... crank driven accessories are sooooo 20th century :lol:
Du-oh. When I read '48V' I  first thought - 48 valves? How the fuck are they going to squeeze eight valves in each cylinder head?   

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 29, 2017, 03:29:32 PM

I'm not sure what trim this is, but it's an E200, and it looks really busy. I guess this is what the market wants, but I'd like to think a solid design wouldn't need the huge wheels or huge bumper nostrils

I see where you're coming from, but I think the same could be said for the W211; the downmarket version is pretty bland (though rather pretty IMO).  It isn't until the post facelift sport package that non-AMG models had some visual flair, and even then, it came from 18" wheels, dual exposed exhausts and a slightly revised front fascia. 

Even the E63 has a relatively subdued body kit...it certainly isn't outlandish or overwrought...

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.