The Most Beautiful & The Ugliest Cars: Acura

Started by cawimmer430, May 02, 2017, 01:52:16 PM

cawimmer430

Let's have a rundown of all the major car brands from A to Z.

The rules are simple. Each week you have to post your TOP 3 MOST BEAUTIFUL and TOP 3 MOST HIDEOUS cars from the named brand, and tell us a little something why you find them pretty or ugly.

We begin this new CarSpin series with Acura!

Now, my personal experience with this brand is extremely limited. The only car on my list which I have seen in person is the Acura (Honda) Legend, which was sold here as an upmarket Honda but was a total sales flop. They are handsome cars, however. My list of the top three most beautiful Acuras is solely based on design that I see in the photos. The 2nd generation Legend sedan and coupe are handsome and dynamic looking, as is the Vigor. I personally am used to the "Acura" NSX being a Honda and would probably mention it there once we get to "H".

TOP 3 MOST BEAUTIFUL ACURAS

1) Second-generation Legend Sedan

2) Second-generation Legend Coupe

3) Vigor

Here are my top 3 ugliest Acuras, and they're all SUVs because I am not crazy about SUVs and because I genuinely find these to be stylistically ugly and a dead end.

TOP 3 UGLIEST ACURAS

1) ZDX

2) RDX

3) MDX

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

I'll never understand how somebody saw that snaggletooth front end (especially on something like the ZDX) and said "yep, looks good, make it!"  :facepalm:

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2017, 01:55:31 PM
I'll never understand how somebody saw that snaggletooth front end (especially on something like the ZDX) and said "yep, looks good, make it!"  :facepalm:

Yeah, it's nasty.

Plus, the whole "SUVs that look like a sports coupe" style is really ugly: BMW X4/X6 and Mercedes GLE Coupe... hideous.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

Cmon mang how you post the three most beautiful Acuras and don't include the NSX.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on May 02, 2017, 02:18:04 PM
Cmon mang how you post the three most beautiful Acuras and don't include the NSX.

Not an Acura outside of the US.  Granted, nor were most of their cars up until very recently.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2017, 01:55:31 PM

Sometimes it's more about looking distinctive than looking good.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Cookie Monster on May 02, 2017, 02:18:04 PM

Read my whole post...  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

TSX Wagon, aka the Honda Accord Wagon. Definitely one of the best looking Acuras out there. :clap: :clap: :clap: Let's hear it for Honda's designers and their tasteful classy customers!

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2017, 03:59:30 PM
TSX Wagon, aka the Honda Accord Wagon. Definitely one of the best looking Acuras out there. :clap: :clap: :clap: Let's hear it for Honda's designers and their tasteful classy customers!

Oh, I forgot you had one of those awhile back. I even got to ride in it when we went to dinner with other Charlie. A nice looking car indeed.

I can't remember - why'd you get rid of it?

Laconian

Lease ran out, and the car's value after depreciation was lower than the lease buyback amount. So, we had no attachment to that particular car.

I think the car could've used more torque.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2017, 04:16:46 PM
Lease ran out, and the car's value after depreciation was lower than the lease buyback amount. So, we had no attachment to that particular car.

I think the car could've used more torque.

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot it was a lease.

MX793

Beautiful:

Legend
[already pictured]

'91-'01 NSX

'04-'06 TL

Honorable mention to the 1st generation TSX.

Ugliest:
'09+ TL

MDX (all generations)
[already pictured]

ZDX
[already pictured]
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I still think the TLX looks like an Alfa with a little help.

Wimmer it seems you have a real affinity for the Japanese pillarless sedan. Here you go:

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/japanese-four-door-hardtops/
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

I have to say that the TSX's 2.4 is the smoothest 4 I've ever driven. Subaru is soooooo coarse by comparison.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 02, 2017, 02:41:34 PM
Sometimes it's more about looking distinctive than looking good.

True enough, but damn they fucked up.

Some of their snaggleteeth are better than others, though, I will admit.

CALL_911

I like that gen RDX's looks actually. The new one looks cheap imo.

My girlfriend has a first gen RDX, and it's not a bad car. I don't love it though.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

Great idea for a series!

BEST:

• Legend coupe
  • TL Type S

• NSX w/ flush headlights

WORST:
  • ZDX (though it was ahead of its time w/ the SUV coupe thing)
  • Final RL

• RDX

Laconian

ZDX botches the coupe-SUV pretty badly. The roofline is insanely bad. I'll bet it's caused a non-negligible number of concussions for backseat passengers over the years...

cawimmer430

The NSX definitely looks good, but I've always thought of it as a Honda and not as an Acura. Here it was sold as a Honda and I'm used to [rarely] seeing them as Hondas.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Best:

1994 Legend Coupe. This car has some really elegant proportions, and arguably it's a better execution of personal luxury than the contempoary Cadillac Eldorado.

1995 Facelift Integra sedan. Not much to look at, due to how ubiquitous it is these days, but JDM "hardtop" sedans I think really make a car look more expensive over it's regular counterpart.

2005+ Acura TL - good proportions, and has an air of luxury; without feeling or looking like a rebodied Accord. Very chunky and athletic.

Worst:

2012 ILX - weird face, Dodge Avenger esque C-pillar

2016+ MDX - there's been a lot of proportion changes that make the car look less expensive. Now it looks like the Honda Odyssey and Honda Pilot it's based on. Part of that is the lack of haunches, the kind of low rear window, and the overall somewhat tippy (by comparison to the old car) stance.

ZDX - weird proportions and an ugly beak. It's a coupe-SUV, but the roofline ruins any semblance of practicality (not the case in the X6). It also looks worse in person.

1998 Acura CL - gross rear end. Bland front end.

Raza

Hard to choose the three ugliest from a brand that hasn't made a good looking, non-vomit inducing car in 10 years.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

I agree NSX and the Legends were very good looking cars in their time and have held up well over time.

Ugliest is a toss up between everything they have sold in the past 10 years. Really sad what has happened to this brand IMO.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2017, 07:35:22 AM
Hard to choose the three ugliest from a brand that hasn't made a good looking, non-vomit inducing car in 10 years.

Well there's the NSX, but I personally view it as a Honda because I grew up seeing them as Hondas and not Acuras.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 09, 2017, 02:57:01 PM
Well there's the NSX, but I personally view it as a Honda because I grew up seeing them as Hondas and not Acuras.

The last year for the OG NSX was over 10 years ago, and the new ones are just OK.
Needs more Jiggawatts

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on May 09, 2017, 03:00:11 PM
The last year for the OG NSX was over 10 years ago, and the new ones are just OK.

The new NSX doesn't get my heart pumping. I don't even like the facelift version of the original NSX mainly because of the clear headlights, which I feel take away the stealthiness of the original design. The original NSX is a clean and beautiful design. Definitely one of the highlights of the boring 1990s (in terms of car design).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

I looked, but could find nothing than can be considered beautiful.  The Legend Coupe was not 'bad' looking, but far from beautiful.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 09, 2017, 03:11:17 PM
I looked, but could find nothing than can be considered beautiful.  The Legend Coupe was not 'bad' looking, but far from beautiful.

Totally fine. :)

www.wimmerfotografie.de