Ford GT review embargo lifted

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 12, 2017, 07:32:06 AM

Payman

Just read the C&D review, and I'd still much rather spend the money on an '05-'06 model.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on May 12, 2017, 07:42:49 AM
Just read the C&D review, and I'd still much rather spend the money on an '05-'06 model.

Agreed.  This one is too fancy.  The '05 was very pure.

GoCougs

This is a race car first, which means it's not going to be a great road car.

Gotta-Qik-C7

At least it sounds good. Not V8 good but Turbo 6 good...........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

For me, and many others as well, it suffers from the same issue as the Jaguar XJ220 fiasco. It should have had a tuned version of the Voodoo V8.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 12, 2017, 09:11:18 AM
Agreed.  This one is too fancy.  The '05 was very pure.

The design is cool, but really fucking awkward in side profile. The '05-'06 car was simply gorgeous from all angles.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on May 12, 2017, 07:42:49 AM
Same here, but the price of those just keeps getting higher as well.

The new GT is an excellent race car but, like the original, not really meant for the street.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 12, 2017, 09:47:36 AM

The new GT is an excellent race car but, like the original, not really meant for the street.

Which to me always made the 05 model a poser GT
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on May 12, 2017, 09:52:50 AM
Which to me always made the 05 model a poser GT
Semi Exotic, though it could hold its own with a lot of exotics.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 09:35:16 AM
This is a race car first, which means it's not going to be a great road car.
People who have driven it disagree.

And anything like this is not going to be an ideal road car... kind of the point.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Uh, the three reviews I've read thus far say cramped, loud (exhaust drone), virtually no trunk space, uncomfortable for many drivers (seats don't move - the wheel and pedals do), and some borderline kit-car interior fixings.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on May 12, 2017, 09:44:39 AM
The design is cool, but really fucking awkward in side profile. The '05-'06 car was simply gorgeous from all angles.

Couldn't agree more. The previous car was the better road car - execution and styling - by leaps and bounds. But then again, that was designed as a road car first and the new GT is designed as a race car first.

High-winding N/A V8 >>>> turbo V6 too.

12,000 RPM

Lets be honest, this thing would have been a dog with an N/A V8. Even Ferrari has moved to blowers, and I don't think they can get the 600+ HP out of the Voodoo that VWAG gets out of their V10. It's over

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 10:26:09 AM
Uh, the three reviews I've read thus far say cramped, loud (exhaust drone), virtually no trunk space, uncomfortable for many drivers (seats don't move - the wheel and pedals do), and some borderline kit-car interior fixings.

And we all know people buying mid-engined, 700 hp race cars look first and foremost for: 1) a big trunk, 2) a quiet exhaust, and 3) lots of rear-seat legroom.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2017, 10:54:05 AM
Lets be honest, this thing would have been a dog with an N/A V8. Even Ferrari has moved to blowers, and I don't think they can get the 600+ HP out of the Voodoo that VWAG gets out of their V10. It's over
A lightly blown Voodoo would've been nice, just for the sound, but this is more of a marketing ploy than Ford getting into the super exotic market. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on May 12, 2017, 11:56:49 AM
And we all know people buying mid-engined, 700 hp race cars look first and foremost for: 1) a big trunk, 2) a quiet exhaust, and 3) lots of rear-seat legroom.

Premise ablated: I had stated reviews are saying it wasn't a great road car, not that it wasn't a great (race) car.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2017, 10:54:05 AM

Ford N/A V8 maybe ;).

Ferrari moved to blowers for its Kmart cars - the GTs (F12, GTC4) still charge exceptionally on with N/A V12s.

But really, N/A 600+ hp out of 5-6L has been done for some time, and the cars are very very quick - 11.0 sec or better 1/4 mile - such as the 911 GT3 RS, R8 V10 and Huracan.

This GT is a race car first, and those primary serve as marketing efforts, and Ford has basically bet the company on Ecoboost, so it's understandable why those chose it.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

A twin turbo V8 would have ruined the aero package
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 01:08:24 PM
Ford N/A V8 maybe ;).

Ferrari moved to blowers for its Kmart cars - the GTs (F12, GTC4) still charge exceptionally on with N/A V12s.

But really, N/A 600+ hp out of 5-6L has been done for some time, and the cars are very very quick - 11.0 sec or better 1/4 mile - such as the 911 GT3 RS, R8 V10 and Huracan.

This GT is a race car first, and those primary serve as marketing efforts, and Ford has basically bet the company on Ecoboost, so it's understandable why those chose it.
R8/Huracan are AWD, and don't have this thing's crazy aero or built in pedigree. I would bet this thing would leave a GT3 RS for dead on the track too. And lulz @ a 488 being a Kmart car. F12 and GTC4 still have V12s because they are gargantuan, and LaFerrari has one because they could spare no expense on it. I think this makes sense all around, not just to market Ecoboost.

All Ford has to do now is close the loop... ditch the stupid Ecoboost 2.3 in the Rustang and give it either the 2.7TT or this.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 12, 2017, 11:59:46 AM
A lightly blown Voodoo would've been nice, just for the sound, but this is more of a marketing ploy than Ford getting into the super exotic market. 

They chose the 3.5EBV6 because it was already endurance race proven (Baja) and it was advantageous from a rulebook standpoint in the LeMans series.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 12:59:34 PM
Premise ablated: I had stated reviews are saying it wasn't a great road car, not that it wasn't a great (race) car.

Right, but all mid engined supercars have minimal trunk space, lots of NVH, and cramped interiors. If our definition of "good road car" only encompasses those categories, nothing in this segment would ever qualify.

It's like saying a pickup truck isn't a good road car because the seating position is high, it's heavy, and the tire tread is too knobby.

Neither will ever be as good a "road car" as a Camry, but that is a natural consequence of their function and design.

No one in the market for a large trunk is ever going to shop mid-engined, regardless of how great the ride is or how luxurious the interior.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

As to the design, while the '05 was a good-to-great example of the "retro homage"-look typified by the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Charger, this new one is probably the most striking car built since the Countach (Pagani might have something to say about that).

One is a decent knockoff; the other is an amazing design on it's own.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2017, 01:50:33 PM
R8/Huracan are AWD, and don't have this thing's crazy aero or built in pedigree. I would bet this thing would leave a GT3 RS for dead on the track too. And lulz @ a 488 being a Kmart car. F12 and GTC4 still have V12s because they are gargantuan, and LaFerrari has one because they could spare no expense on it. I think this makes sense all around, not just to market Ecoboost.

All Ford has to do now is close the loop... ditch the stupid Ecoboost 2.3 in the Rustang and give it either the 2.7TT or this.

How is it you so frequently make wild claims that are so easy to check?

F12 is 182" in length and the 488 is 180" (and the new GT is 187.5").

MexicoCityM3

I just watched a few reviews last night. This car is looking to be legendary. I'd probably take it over a Ferrari.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 13, 2017, 08:51:36 AM
I just watched a few reviews last night. This car is looking to be legendary. I'd probably take it over a Ferrari.

I totally would, or the predecessor.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 10:02:41 PM
How is it you so frequently make wild claims that are so easy to check?

F12 is 182" in length and the 488 is 180" (and the new GT is 187.5").
I love how you switched the GTC4 for the 488 like nobody would notice.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2017, 10:58:06 AM
I love how you switched the GTC4 for the 488 like nobody would notice.

You stated the F12 was gargantuan...

I will say this, your stamina for the L is legion.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on May 12, 2017, 05:14:49 PM
Right, but all mid engined supercars have minimal trunk space, lots of NVH, and cramped interiors. If our definition of "good road car" only encompasses those categories, nothing in this segment would ever qualify.

It's like saying a pickup truck isn't a good road car because the seating position is high, it's heavy, and the tire tread is too knobby.

Neither will ever be as good a "road car" as a Camry, but that is a natural consequence of their function and design.

No one in the market for a large trunk is ever going to shop mid-engined, regardless of how great the ride is or how luxurious the interior.

Even if it's not a top criterion, everyone is going to have their breaking point for what's unacceptable. It's not like the two levels of NVH are "Camry" and "everything else" -- there's also going to be a sliding scale within the mid-engined supercar class. After all, by supercar standards, a Camry and Mazda6 are equally boring to drive, but that doesn't mean that no one is going to be interested in the Mazda6.