I'm losing my Transmission

Started by JYODER240, January 05, 2006, 12:26:21 PM

93JC

One "problem" that Chrysler transmissions have (and, coincidentally, Honda transmissions too...) is that they use their own dedicated synthetic ATF, which is significantly more expensive than Dexron and Mercon. Because it's so much more expensive some people won't bother with it (much like synthetic versus regular oil), or they won't know any better. Even your below-average greasemonkey would often use whatever fluid was lying around when servicing a A604.

They simply can't handle Dexron or Mercon, and I've been witness to the destruction it inflicts on a Chrysler automatic if it's used: incredible gear wear, nearly-destroyed clutch packs... The transmission would be totally pooched, firing off all sorts of malfunction codes to the computer, which would respond as it was programmed when encountering a major transmission malfunction: force it into limp-home mode.

TBR

I don't think we've ever changed the Durango's transmission fluid :o

93JC

Come to think of it, I have no idea if my Spirit has had a fluid change. It doesn't have many miles on it (around 115,000 miles), but I figure it had to have been done sometime in the last six or seven years: I've checked the fluid, and it's still topped-up and a nice pinkish.

Tom

QuoteI don't think we've ever changed the Durango's transmission fluid :o
How old and at what mileage?  A lot of modern cars are designed to have permanent tranny fluid.  If not, it's usually not necessary till atleast 60-100k.

TBR

How old and at what mileage?  A lot of modern cars are designed to have permanent tranny fluid.  If not, it's usually not necessary till atleast 60-100k.
8 years and 115k.  

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

8 years and 115k.
Wouldnt be a bad idea, i hear that our silverado has a drain plug so i might change our tranny fluid as cheap insurance B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

Tom

8 years and 115k.
Wouldnt be a bad idea, i hear that our silverado has a drain plug so i might change our tranny fluid as cheap insurance B)
It's practically new :blink:  

footoflead

QuoteAfter warranty. :devil:
what GM doesnt know wont hurt them  :rolleyes:

i know its new, but the idea is to take care of it

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Well replacing new ATF with different new ATF isn't going to do any good.  

footoflead

Well replacing new ATF with different new ATF isn't going to do any good.
duh, i wasnt planning on changing it will only 4k on the clock...more like around 8-10 K mabey....we will see...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Good news.  Modern transmissions are designed to not engage in park if the shift lever is moved to P while moving.  The ratcheting sound I heard was the locking mechanism skipping past where it would otherwise lock in position.

Fol, do what you want, but changing ATF at 10k is completely unnecessary.

sparkplug

Might as well change the new transmission out for a newer one. :D  :P  ;)

JYODER240

i just got a message on the answering machine, and the dealer fixed it under warranty  :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TBR

I have a transmission related question: Does it hurt anything to change from reverse to drive/1st gear (or 2nd in some trucks) without coming to a complete stop first?

93JC

More wear and tear. Do it all the time and you'll eventually wear out the torque converter in an automatic or synchronisers in a manual (or worse: screwing up the bands and clutches within an automatic or the gears within a manual).

Once in a while isn't too bad. Don't make it a habit, that's for sure.

TBR

That's pretty much what I figured. It's unfortunate because I have always found something unusual fascinating about it.

Tom

QuoteThat's pretty much what I figured. It's unfortunate because I have always found something unusual fascinating about it.
Wierdo.

Just kidding, you can move the shifter to the desired gearslot, just don't let out the clutch.  Or in an auto you can pause in neutral if you feel like it.  R-N-D

TBR

Tom

QuoteOf course.
Well you asked ;)  

TBR

No I didn't, I asked if you could switch to a forward gear while moving backwards, not if you could switch to neutral.

footoflead

QuoteNo I didn't, I asked if you could switch to a forward gear while moving backwards, not if you could switch to neutral.
You can, but its not good for the tranny ;)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

You knows what really rough on the Transmission?

Driving 60 mph and snatch it into reverse. A friend of my father did that to my father's car about 30 years ago and it still won't work in reverse. Car don't heal themselves. bummer.

You know what else what is rough on cars?

Sandpaper.