I'm losing my Transmission

Started by JYODER240, January 05, 2006, 12:26:21 PM

JYODER240

So i'm on my way to go tanning (don't laugh I leave for vacation friday and dont want to get burnt) and I'm going about 45mph when my transmission tries to downshift into first. I was looking out the side window at the time and thought I had hit something. it immediatly began to redline so I slowed down to turn onto a side street and it begins to slip in and out of gear. I pull into a driveway to turn around. When I put it into reverse it would go into gear and just revved like it was in neutral and then at about 3000rpm it went in.  I started to drive back home and it was constantly searching for a gear and going in and out of neutral. It finally went into second and stayed there for the rest of the way home. When I got home I tried to back up to the garage incase it needs towed, but I lost reverse completely.  
      It turns out my warranty expired two weeks ago but I'm still under my 36,000 mile limit. Do you guys think this will still be covered?
      Im not really sure if this is a rant or a question, im just really frustrated and want to know what you guys think.  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tom

J86

I'm sorry, but tanning...HA!

If ya make enuff noise, two weeks out, they oughta cover it.  I wouldn't wait to bring 'er in though.

Rupert

Sounds computerish...

Yeah, they might tell you no, but all you have to do is act angry enough and threaten to call the right people. But be nice first!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tom

You might get your parents to do this or they might get the impression that a teen tore up another tranny.

footoflead

Tanning...

i guess your one of those preppies,

Hint its called sun screen, i usually dont burn unless i'm on the tractor mowing the field or something where you cant get under any shade...

my tan is natural year round...BOO YA
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

I took it in, the only gear I have is 2nd. the dealership said they are going to do what they can to get it fixed under warranty. I think it is the torque converter because it is having trouble going in and out of gear, but it may be computer-related.  My dad talked to them first and is taking care of everything. This is our 3rd Honda product so I think that may help. If Honda doesnt cover it then we are going to make some noise about it. And yes im a prep that goes tanning hahaha everybody laugh :rolleyes:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BRealistic

This is the 03 Accord? I would guess Honda will help you out. They have had some bad press over tranny issues, and seem to be trying to calm the issue. Voiding a warranty repair on a vehicle with less than (very short) 36k mile powertrain warranty but just 2 weeks past the (very short)  36 month coverage? I don't think they want that bad press.

And dealerhsips are allowed several AWAs a year- AWA means 'After Warranty Repair'. It is something they allow the dealers to help keep customers happy- like yourself.

footoflead

QuoteThis is the 03 Accord? I would guess Honda will help you out. They have had some bad press over tranny issues, and seem to be trying to calm the issue. Voiding a warranty repair on a vehicle with less than (very short) 36k mile powertrain warranty but just 2 weeks past the (very short)  36 month coverage? I don't think they want that bad press.

And dealerhsips are allowed several AWAs a year- AWA means 'After Warranty Repair'. It is something they allow the dealers to help keep customers happy- like yourself.
If AWA means After Warrenty Repair...then shouldnt it be AWR

3 years on one tranny is terrible, we got 7 (and only had to rebuild because of a 'pin hole' leak) and thats pulling 2000lbs of horse plus the weight of the trailer around and making several long distant trips...but it is a different make...and RWD...it might make a small difference

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BRealistic

QuoteThis is the 03 Accord? I would guess Honda will help you out. They have had some bad press over tranny issues, and seem to be trying to calm the issue. Voiding a warranty repair on a vehicle with less than (very short) 36k mile powertrain warranty but just 2 weeks past the (very short)  36 month coverage? I don't think they want that bad press.

3 years on one tranny is terrible, we got 7 (and only had to rebuild because of a 'pin hole' leak) and thats pulling 2000lbs of horse plus the weight of the trailer around and making several long distant trips...but it is a different make...and RWD...it might make a small difference
ooops. I meant After Warranty Assistance. doh.

footoflead

QuoteThis is the 03 Accord? I would guess Honda will help you out. They have had some bad press over tranny issues, and seem to be trying to calm the issue. Voiding a warranty repair on a vehicle with less than (very short) 36k mile powertrain warranty but just 2 weeks past the (very short)  36 month coverage? I don't think they want that bad press.

ooops. I meant After Warranty Assistance. doh.
Oh ok..that makes more sense :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

93JC

Quote3 years on one tranny is terrible, we got 7 (and only had to rebuild because of a 'pin hole' leak) and thats pulling 2000lbs of horse plus the weight of the trailer around and making several long distance trips...
16 on my Dodge's Ultradrive. :rockon:
25 on the Chevy pickup. :rockon: :rockon:

ifcar

4-5 years on my Caravan's automatic.  

Fire It Up

There was a recall on auto tranny 7th gen accords. This might be from that.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

To the shock of pretty much everyone, the Durango's has made it 8 years.  

footoflead

Quote3 years on one tranny is terrible, we got 7 (and only had to rebuild because of a 'pin hole' leak) and thats pulling 2000lbs of horse plus the weight of the trailer around and making several long distance trips...
Both auto's i assume, and did you ever use it for heavy hauling Ex. pulling a trailer with a heavy load or a load of topsoil in the back (it can be done)

If not then thats really not surprising..i could baby a tranny that long especially if it was a stick

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

I reckon one of the reason's they would replace it is that a Honda is expected to last way longer than the warranty. Their reputation is one of excellence in quality and service (I still wouldn't buy one). It could have been a existing problem with the car that affected an insignifant number of that year, make, and model. They looked at it and decided that despite the fact that you were the driver, that they fix it anyway. You'll buy another Honda from them because they'll look after you. I hope your transmission never fails or falls on you again.

93JC

Both auto's i assume, and did you ever use it for heavy hauling Ex. pulling a trailer with a heavy load or a load of topsoil in the back (it can be done)

If not then thats really not surprising..i could baby a tranny that long especially if it was a stick
Both are automatics.

In its last regular use the Chebby was used for transporting payloads of construction supplies to and garbage from jobsites. Before that it had been used offroad to do biological surveys in Wyoming (the truck was originally my uncle's; he bought it here and took it with him when he took a research position at the University of Wyoming).

The car's never been used to haul anything more substantial than a driver, four passengers and their cargo. I think it is worth noting considering it is a Chrysler A604 "Ultradrive", one of if not the single most notoriously unreliable transmission ever made.

Tom

13 years on a GM 4sp at 125k.  The tranny fluid and filter was never changed untill a few months ago.

mazda6er

It's not that easy to totally f*** up an auto tranny is it? I mean other than random mechanical issues/defects, the driver themselves can't really ruin it unless they're holding gears, right?

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Run Away

93,000 miles on my '91 SE auto tranny. No problems.

132,000 miles on the black '89, and it's fucked harcore.:P

This one is apparently all original, nothing rebuilt just alot of maintnance:

It's got a 90/91 steering wheel though, I call BS on "all original". :devil:

footoflead

QuoteIt's not that easy to totally f*** up an auto tranny is it? I mean other than random mechanical issues/defects, the driver themselves can't really ruin it unless they're holding gears, right?
no, its pretty hard to tear one up unless your doing a lot of heaving hauling...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

Or it is a Chrysler or a Honda V6 ;)

sparkplug

Yes a lot of weight in a vehicle isn't good. You decrease your fuel and put a tiny amount of additional wear on your tires. And towing isn't good for the front wheel drive. My car which has a V6 says that I should not pull more than 1000lbs. And that tells me most importantly no mother-in-laws should ride with me. Think about the suspension damage.

wjw

QuoteTo the shock of pretty much everyone, the Durango's has made it 8 years.
A Chrysler transmission lasting 8 years??  Impossible... :P  

TBR

Considering it started shifting poorly before the vehicle was barely even broken in it was quite a surprise.

And, the 8 years aren't that impressive, but the 115,000 miles are.  

footoflead

Considering it started shifting poorly before the vehicle was barely even broken in it was quite a surprise.

But again your truck was used as a light duty transportation, nothing heavy on a regular base...i can baby a auto tranny that long if i dont pull anything heavy

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

But again your truck was used as a light duty transportation, nothing heavy on a regular base...i can baby a auto tranny that long if i dont pull anything heavy
It was taken offroad (so it was used as a truck), but you're right in that we never towed with it (we probably would've if my parents weren't to cheap too fork over $800 or so for a receiver).

But, the thousands of Chrysler minivans that have had problems weren't used in truly heavy duty situations either, ultimately Chrysler transmissions from the '90s just plain sucked.  

93JC

Quote16 on my Dodge's Ultradrive. :rockon:

QuoteI think it is worth noting considering it is a Chrysler A604 "Ultradrive", one of if not the single most notoriously unreliable transmission ever made.

QuoteBut, the thousands of Chrysler minivans that have had problems weren't used in truly heavy duty situations either, ultimately Chrysler transmissions from the '90s just plain sucked.

See!? See!? I told you it had a nasty reputation, which is why it is significant that mine has gone 16 years trouble-free.

BRealistic

My parent's 96 3.8 Town & Country with 115k miles is still on its 1st tranny.  ;)