Freeze Breeze twins drive how I wished the Civic did

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 29, 2017, 07:56:59 PM

12,000 RPM

Enough power to get out of its own way (with 2 dudes and AC on!)
Fucking brilliant handling.... seemingly bottomless pit of handling unflappability
Decent engine sound with high redline, but OK power down low

I'm smitten  :wub: Still like the G, but I appreciate the whole Miata style thing more. I drove an NB when I test drove the Z but didn't get to push it at all.... it just felt slow and loud by comparison

Good stuff :ohyeah:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Huh?  You sure your G didn't scare you at an intersection again?

12,000 RPM

I drove Rich's BRZ around the neighborhood yesterday. Really nice.

MexicoCityM3

Kind of crazy to wish the Civic drove like that, no? The twins are proper RWD sports chassis. The Civic is an econobox. But I guess #coliovernation can fix anythin'
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 30, 2017, 09:26:51 AM
Kind of crazy to wish the Civic drove like that, no? The twins are proper RWD sports chassis. The Civic is an econobox. But I guess #coliovernation can fix anythin'

I've driven both, but they're clearly different types of cars.

Also, I liked the Toyota Twins, but the torque curve is really reedy in the midrange. That motor is all top-end.

I mean, you can have both? (I'd still rather buy the Civic)

Xer0

:lol:

Yeah, the Civic will never drive like the Frisbee's, and thats OK since it was never intended to.  But man, do I love the twins.  The driving experience shits all over my Si its not even funny; no understeer, rock solid steering, and impossibly low to the ground.  The engine is the weak spot in the package, but it only draws attention to itself because of how exceptional everything else is.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on June 30, 2017, 09:31:55 AM

I've driven both, but they're clearly different types of cars.

Also, I liked the Toyota Twins, but the torque curve is really reedy in the midrange. That motor is all top-end.

I mean, you can have both? (I'd still rather buy the Civic)

I haven't driven the twins. But I drove a new Miata and loved it. I guess the twins are similar, maybe a bit harder-edged?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 30, 2017, 09:33:07 AM
I haven't driven the twins. But I drove a new Miata and loved it. I guess the twins are similar, maybe a bit harder-edged?

Sort of similar. The ND Miata has a more balanced engine (less gutless down low, but still eager to be revved), and the overall experience felt a bit more taut and engaging. Not to say the BRZ/FRS are somehow Camry-Like, but the ND does edge it out....as it should. It's a 2 seat roadster.

I don't think i'd buy either, mostly because I couldn't make them work as my only car, and both are loud and bouncy, with the Toyota being less so. I'd still probably buy a Civic Si and call it a day.

12,000 RPM

Civic is still not bad. I'd say the steering between the two is equal, and the Civic is about as responsive. I think the Civic has better brakes too but Rich's FR-S was fresh off a track day.

What surprised me about the FR-S most is that it was as responsive as it was, while having better ride comfort than even the G. It was insanely well sorted.

Quote from: Xer0 on June 30, 2017, 09:32:32 AM
:lol:

Yeah, the Civic will never drive like the Frisbee's, and thats OK since it was never intended to.  But man, do I love the twins.  The driving experience shits all over my Si its not even funny; no understeer, rock solid steering, and impossibly low to the ground.  The engine is the weak spot in the package, but it only draws attention to itself because of how exceptional everything else is.

I was expecting a little more top end rush. Truthfully, maybe they have tuned out the mid range valley, but I didn't feel it. Felt even and OK in the midrange. I didn't mind the engine note either... not as crisp as a classic DOHC VTEC but damn near a Ferrari compared to the current turbo lumps

Laconian

Thank you Rich for educating Sporty. Now he can't be trollishly skeptical about lightweight balanced sports cars anymore
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Skeptical trolling is almost as fun as concern trolling to be honest. But I will fall back

AutobahnSHO

I know it wrecks the purpose of the car but I would seriously be all over a BRZ if it had a sunroof.

As is I'm just kind of 60% as excited as about a Miata.
Will

Rich

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

After all of the reviews shitting on it I was not expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised after being disappointed by all the economy car based performance cars.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on June 30, 2017, 10:15:17 AM
Thank you Rich for educating Sporty. Now he can't be trollishly skeptical about lightweight balanced sports cars anymore

I do what I can. I did the same with the Mustang with Rupert and MrH. And hopefully get Will in the 86 seat in August.

2o6

Quote from: Rich on June 30, 2017, 12:14:12 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

After all of the reviews shitting on it I was not expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised after being disappointed by all the economy car based performance cars.

Car enthusiasts suck. The BRZ/GT86 is a great car.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on June 30, 2017, 12:17:06 PM
I do what I can. I did the same with the Mustang with Rupert and MrH. And hopefully get Will in the 86 seat in August.

You're driving up here??   :rockon:   I'll find some good roads for you, if you don't know where they are already.
Will

12,000 RPM

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yea thanks a ton for that man. Really appreciate it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on June 30, 2017, 12:38:55 PM
Car enthusiasts suck. The BRZ/GT86 is a great car.

The throttle programming was super weird when I drove Mike's. Like an on/off switch. Otherwise it was pretty nice. I don't think he had the sticky tires on it at that point.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I cannot imagine that thing with stickier tires. Obviously we were on the street and it wasn't my car but the front was anchored. Stickier tires would definitely warrant more power

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 30, 2017, 03:18:29 PM
I cannot imagine that thing with stickier tires. Obviously we were on the street and it wasn't my car but the front was anchored. Stickier tires would definitely warrant more power

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the original BR-Z/FR-S had smaller tires than Rich's 86.

Raza

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Uh, cars that can't win mag races suck.

[/unthusiast]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2017, 07:44:41 PM
Uh, cars that can't win mag races suck.

[/unthusiast]

My Concerns were mostly about engine/exhaust sound, the shape of the torque curve, steering feel (this still uses rear mounted steering knuckles). But they did a damn good job. Yeah the engine is a bit rough but I kind of like it

12,000 RPM

Engine feels very old in a good way. It's like someone put an H22 in a Cayman