UK to ban all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040

Started by Morris Minor, July 26, 2017, 02:27:14 PM

Morris Minor

The sale of new diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040.
The government announced the deadline as part of £3 billion plans to cut illegal levels of air pollution that include scrappage schemes and potential "clean air zones" that could see charges for heavy polluting vehicles.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the government wanted to help the car industry "do the right thing".

More http://www.itv.com/news/2017-07-25/new-diesel-and-petrol-cars-to-be-banned-in-uk-from-2040/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

The "we're helping them do the right thing" line is one of the more amusing euphemisms for extortion.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

I hope that ban also includes airplanes and ships. You know, two of the like the biggest polluters out there...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 26, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
I hope that ban also includes airplanes and ships. You know, two of the like the biggest polluters out there...
A loaded Airbus A330 burns more gas getting to altitude that I will use in 100 lifetimes.
^unverified fact^
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Cargo ships and cruise ships are by far the biggest polluters. The oil they burn is essentially garbage.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

These such bans have little if anything to do with science, the environment, etc. It's about societal engineering, control, and a bit of self-loathing sprinkled in for good measure.

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on July 26, 2017, 03:45:21 PM
These such bans have little if anything to do with science, the environment, etc. It's about societal engineering, control, and a bit of self-loathing sprinkled in for good measure.

And maybe a few campaign contributions from the battery industry.  :devil:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 26, 2017, 03:45:21 PM
This is a rich complaint from the guy who wants the govt to be his arbiter of "morality"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 26, 2017, 03:29:41 PM
A loaded Airbus A330 burns more gas getting to altitude that I will use in 100 lifetimes.
^unverified fact^

Quote from: Laconian on July 26, 2017, 03:42:22 PM
Cargo ships and cruise ships are by far the biggest polluters. The oil they burn is essentially garbage.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

Yep, and this is what my comment was implying.

Everyone attacks the car industry (and in some cases car owners) but the general industry, aircraft and ships are some of the biggest polluters out there. Seems like they get a free pass...

I'm not opposed to electric cars if they offer range and quick charging. Waiting half an hour for a supercharger to bring the battery back up to 80% is simply unacceptable for those who have time constraints, tight schedules etc.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

The war on automobiles is an odd one, that's for sure.  Such a tiny portion of all pollution comes from cars on the road.  Granted, a decent amount of pollution goes into producing and delivering them as well, but still.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 29, 2017, 11:30:59 AM
The war on automobiles is an odd one, that's for sure.  Such a tiny portion of all pollution comes from cars on the road.  Granted, a decent amount of pollution goes into producing and delivering them as well, but still.

Exactly.

They just voted to ban diesel cars from Stuttgart in 2018. We'll see if this goes through the higher courts. But if this ban is final and the pollution levels do not recede, I just can't wait to see what their excuses will be. Most likely they will enact a ban that will go against gasoline-powered vehicles.

In the meantime, trains, airplanes and ships are spewing their dirt all over the place, but cars are the targets of these god damn idiots.  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Better start looking at bicycles, Wimmer!     ;)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 29, 2017, 12:52:06 PM
Exactly.

They just voted to ban diesel cars from Stuttgart in 2018. We'll see if this goes through the higher courts. But if this ban is final and the pollution levels do not recede, I just can't wait to see what their excuses will be. Most likely they will enact a ban that will go against gasoline-powered vehicles.

In the meantime, trains, airplanes and ships are spewing their dirt all over the place, but cars are the targets of these god damn idiots.  :facepalm:

I am not sure what exactly your problem is. The limits on pollution are not a "would be nice to have" list. They are legal limits, based on objective data on what is hazardous to the human body. Now, in several threads you have kept harping on politicians, but the politicians have actually been dragging their feet trying to prevent a push back against diesels. The only reason why diesel bans are on the agenda is because the cities like Munich, and Stuttgart have lost lawsuits. They have been given a certain number of days to get emissions in check or else they will pay something like € 50.000 a day in penalties for non-compliance with a court order. 

Now, you do not need unicorn dust to meet diesel emission limits. The new Mercedes OM 654 in the E 320d actually beats legal limits by a large margin in real life driving according to ADAC tests. The new Audi A8 will have an adblue tank twice as large as the outgoing model. Hmm, I wonder why? The point is, the car companies deliberately choice to ignore the limits, and they, and their customers are now paying a price, so your anger should be directed at the car companies.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on July 29, 2017, 03:10:50 PM
I am not sure what exactly your problem is. The limits on pollution are not a "would be nice to have" list. They are legal limits, based on objective data on what is hazardous to the human body. Now, in several threads you have kept harping on politicians, but the politicians have actually been dragging their feet trying to prevent a push back against diesels. The only reason why diesel bans are on the agenda is because the cities like Munich, and Stuttgart have lost lawsuits. They have been given a certain number of days to get emissions in check or else they will pay something like € 50.000 a day in penalties for non-compliance with a court order. 

Now, you do not need unicorn dust to meet diesel emission limits. The new Mercedes OM 654 in the E 320d actually beats legal limits by a large margin in real life driving according to ADAC tests. The new Audi A8 will have an adblue tank twice as large as the outgoing model. Hmm, I wonder why? The point is, the car companies deliberately choice to ignore the limits, and they, and their customers are now paying a price, so your anger should be directed at the car companies.

I should have been more clearer, but my annoyance is directed the The Green Party and Deutsche Umwelthilfe. Yes, the car companies are also at fault and I agree with the idea that they should, at their own cost, update older diesel cars.

In particular Die Grünen gets my anger, because they want everyone to switch over from internal combustion engines to electric cars as soon as possible. Do they not know that not everyone has money in the bank to afford a new car? What about the lack of infrastructure and the low range? Are electric cars really that green? Because their production (and especially the battery production) is incredibly polluting. For the Green Part electricity simply comes out of the socket. But these are issues which they just seem to ignore.

I am not opposed to electric cars, but in order for them to appeal to me they need quicker charging times and more range. When I read about Özdemir and Göring-Eckardt or see them in talk shows I really want to puke. Göring-Eckardt especially is so smug and I find her just incredibly annoying and stuck up.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 29, 2017, 11:30:59 AM

It's the easiest one to go for.  Cars are more visible than things like cargo ships or even planes.  A lot of people use a car everyday, so it makes it an easy target. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2017, 06:04:04 AM
It's the easiest one to go for. 

Yes. For cars alternatives are slowly, but surely coming online. I don't think anyone envisions an electric aircraft crossing the Atlantic with 400 people. even though small electric aircraft exist as prototypes.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on July 30, 2017, 08:25:47 AM
Yes. For cars alternatives are slowly, but surely coming online. I don't think anyone envisions an electric aircraft crossing the Atlantic with 400 people. even though small electric aircraft exist as prototypes.

But imagine the Greek employment rate if they had to start rowing their ships across the ocean!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

Doesn't Germany get most of their electric power from Russian natural gas?

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on July 30, 2017, 09:20:39 AM

They are highly nuclear, but I wouldn't be surprised. And they are planning on cutting Nuclear in Europe. Silly.
Will

FoMoJo

We know that Germans, especially German engineers, are highly competent and efficient, however, changing the entire power generating structure of a nation doesn't happen overnight :huh:.  It's sufficient that they are going in the right direction, imo.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Gas for heating comes from Russia.

In terms of electrical power Germany has actually become a net exporter. Though it is region dependent, the southern parts of Germany are importing electricity,

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2017, 06:04:04 AM
It's the easiest one to go for.  Cars are more visible than things like cargo ships or even planes.  A lot of people use a car everyday, so it makes it an easy target. 

And consumers aren't able to lobby as well as shipping companies.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Quote from: Galaxy on July 30, 2017, 10:25:10 AM
Gas for heating comes from Russia.

In terms of electrical power Germany has actually become a net exporter. Though it is region dependent, the southern parts of Germany are importing electricity,

30% of the gas comes from Norway, and a fair share from the Netherlands also iirc.
Cuore Sportivo

Galaxy

Quote from: mzziaz on July 30, 2017, 03:04:43 PM
30% of the gas comes from Norway, and a fair share from the Netherlands also iirc.

Putin could probably still cause me to freeze my ass off in winter if he is pissed enough. The Netherlands cancelled their contract with Germany a few month ago, but they gave an extremely large time of notice. I believe 2030 is the cutoff date.

mzziaz

Quote from: Galaxy on July 30, 2017, 03:30:27 PM
Putin could probably still cause me to freeze my ass off in winter if he is pissed enough. The Netherlands cancelled their contract with Germany a few month ago, but they gave an extremely large time of notice. I believe 2030 is the cutoff date.

Indeed, but I just read an article that LNG by ships are about to change the whole business, so that might change.
Cuore Sportivo

12,000 RPM

Ugh, I hope those ships clean up their emissions. Otherwise they may as well burn coal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 05:53:59 AM
Ugh, I hope those ships clean up their emissions. Otherwise they may as well burn coal.

LNG ships are some of the scariest things on the seas. They basically have to clear out the harbor to let one unload.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM