evo takes responsibility in the power arms race

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 23, 2017, 06:32:41 AM

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on August 23, 2017, 01:57:14 PM
Would that be a bad thing? I would love a return to nice cars that do more with less. It's one of the reasons I love the i8.

Making cars interesting by only adding horsepower is akin to overseasoning a dish.

What? The i8 is complicated as hell

Laconian

But performance is awesome for its power output.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 23, 2017, 01:38:09 PM
You get used to the controls. I'm not a fan of heavy inputs- especially steering. From what I've found they rob you of feel and sap confidence. If I have to make a steering correction it's hard to be precise when the controls are heavier. One thing I don't like about the G. But yea with time you get used to almost anything.

You can have heavy or light steering that's full of feedback and natural feeling, that's fine.  I can't abide light pedals though, and most Japanese cars (and even my brother's S4) have really light pedals. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 23, 2017, 11:12:57 AM
High horsepower engines are classic hedonic treadmill appliances. They're exciting at first, but over time they become familiar and... boring. Gotta upgrade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

I'm not sure. A good 400-500 hp engine with loud (but not obnoxious) exhaust and a good chassis will provide smiles for years in any autox or track day setting. I guess if you only drive it on the highway you might feel the need for more and more, but that's because it's a rather boring setting in the first place. Involvement and driving location are key IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Just like the article says: most of these new overpowered exotics / performance cars can only really be exploited on a track where the fun factor will really shine.

And what's the old saying? Sometimes it's more fun and exciting to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast. You can still have fun in a normal car. It's a different kind of fun, but fun nonetheless. Best example? Chris Harris having a blast with his 12.5-horsepower Citroen 2CV!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 23, 2017, 10:55:01 PM
I'm not sure. A good 400-500 hp engine with loud (but not obnoxious) exhaust and a good chassis will provide smiles for years in any autox or track day setting. I guess if you only drive it on the highway you might feel the need for more and more, but that's because it's a rather boring setting in the first place. Involvement and driving location are key IMO.
Right, that much power is fun in that setting. On the street it's frustrating. Really IMO all that's needed on the street is enough power where you don't have any hesitation about making passes. Which is less than even 400HP in a ~3500-4000lb car

At the same time, if all engines are going turbo anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter. But I'd gladly trade a couple MPGs and like 100HP for no turbos if I can. Especially these modern DI turbo engines.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 24, 2017, 07:11:10 AM
Right, that much power is fun in that setting. On the street it's frustrating. Really IMO all that's needed on the street is enough power where you don't have any hesitation about making passes. Which is less than even 400HP in a ~3500-4000lb car

At the same time, if all engines are going turbo anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter. But I'd gladly trade a couple MPGs and like 100HP for no turbos if I can. Especially these modern DI turbo engines.

Frustrating? I love it. Great noises, power any time you want it. Sure, you dont get 30 mpg but I'm an enthusiast not a hippy

MX793

Can't say I've ever been frustrated by 400+ hp on the street.  I also don't feel like you need that much power to have fun, either.  I've found cars with less than half as much power to still offer an equivalent fun factor.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on August 24, 2017, 10:27:44 AM
Can't say I've ever been frustrated by 400+ hp on the street.  I also don't feel like you need that much power to have fun, either.  I've found cars with less than half as much power to still offer an equivalent fun factor.

Old VW beetles with a good stroker motor are a blast to drive. The similarity is the sound and driving experience. It's not as fast but it sounds pissed off and ready to drive hard.