A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

CALL_911

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 04:10:46 PM
No what a poser would do is dump the M3 while trying to make it look like a moral financial decision.  You either got the $$$$ you claim or you don't. Enough with the BS.

Lol jesus christ dude

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:47:08 PM
Depends. If the BMW levels off forget it. But even if it doesn't, it could crawl slowly enough to be a wash.

Late model E92 M3 sedans are in the mid $30s with 40-60k miles.  It's safe to assume the F80s will do the same, which would be $20k less than what his car is worth right now.  A loaded CR-V will not be a $10k car in 3-5 years.  80k mile loaded FWD CR-Vs are still >$15K cars.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

I'm not saying I'm happy that he's considering getting rid of the M3 at all, but I can understand the benefits of the CR-V especially if he isn't enjoying the M3.
'racecar is die'
no

Tave

Quote from: 68_427 on September 05, 2017, 04:57:20 PM
Late model E92 M3 sedans are in the mid $30s with 40-60k miles.  It's safe to assume the F80s will do the same, which would be $20k less than what his car is worth right now.  A loaded CR-V will not be a $10k car in 3-5 years.  80k mile loaded FWD CR-Vs are still >$15K cars.

That mileage isn't comparable. He's one year away from being a late model with less than half that. Additionally, that might be the lowest it ever gets.

I got the impression he wasn't interested in another 3-5 year stint if it wasn't necessary.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: 68_427 on September 05, 2017, 04:58:37 PM
I'm not saying I'm happy that he's considering getting rid of the M3 at all, but I can understand the benefits of the CR-V especially if he isn't enjoying the M3.

Understood. And in all likelihood a new mainstreamer will be faaaaaaar cheaper. I'm just saying it's a different calculus with this car than it is your average car, even your average luxury car. It's like a 10% chance (pulled that number out of nowhere) versus your odds of winning the lottery.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 04:10:46 PM
No what a poser would do is dump the M3 while trying to make it look like a moral financial decision.  You either got the $$$$ you claim or you don't. Enough with the BS.
:lol:

This is awful, JFC. That he understands he will be absorbing a $20K loss and is willing to sell the car anyway = he probably has the money.

And personally, I'd rather be a "poser" than an idiot- which IMO is someone who keeps a depreciating car they barely drive to keep their "enthusiast card". People who make big character judgments based on the kind of car someone owns aren't worth talking to, let alone making big financial decisions for.

I hope he sells the M3 now just to spite you :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

His M3 will definitely continue to depreciate until it hits values similar to what E46s trade for today IMO. It won't get as low as an E36 but definitely not a rare collectible.

I am curious as to in which aspects Lebowski lets himself "go" a bit financially. I think (obviously) that toys are ok and not all decisions have to be financially by the book. Within reason, life is short.

Also, some level of desire for nice things can drive effort at work. And that can be good not only for yourself but also for people you can impact.

I can't imagine trading my cars for a "normal" mainstreamer unless there is serious financial stress on the horizon. Every time I've entertained that my personal conclusion is that the relatively small financial hit is well worth the pleasure I get from driving them and just looking at them. Clearly Lebowski's priorities are different.

A few years ago some of you know I sold my E46 to get into a small capital raise we needed. Best financial decision ever but also nice to have been able to buy it back later.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on September 05, 2017, 04:41:34 PM
THE CR-V will depreciate less in the next 3-5 years than his M3 will all while freeing up $20,000 during that time frame.

Yep. Plus things like tires will be expensive and frequent, it will eat a lot more gas, etc.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 05:14:42 PM
His M3 will definitely continue to depreciate until it hits values similar to what E46s trade for today IMO. It won't get as low as an E36 but definitely not a rare collectible.

I am curious as to in which aspects Lebowski lets himself "go" a bit financially. I think (obviously) that toys are ok and not all decisions have to be financially by the book. Within reason, life is short.

Also, some level of desire for nice things can drive effort at work. And that can be good not only for yourself but also for people you can impact.

I can't imagine trading my cars for a "normal" mainstreamer unless there is serious financial stress on the horizon. Every time I've entertained that my personal conclusion is that the relatively small financial hit is well worth the pleasure I get from driving them and just looking at them. Clearly Lebowski's priorities are different.

A few years ago some of you know I sold my E46 to get into a small capital raise we needed. Best financial decision ever but also nice to have been able to buy it back later.
Everyone has their things. I admit, owning the G is nice for a lot of stupid, vain, superficial reasons. But I could and very well might go back to a mainstreamer in the future. Something like a GTI. Life is indeed too short to jump on a debt treadmill for depreciating assets (if cars can even be called that)

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 05, 2017, 05:10:13 PM
:lol:

This is awful, JFC. That he understands he will be absorbing a $20K loss and is willing to sell the car anyway = he probably has the money.

And personally, I'd rather be a "poser" than an idiot- which IMO is someone who keeps a depreciating car they barely drive to keep their "enthusiast card". People who make big character judgments based on the kind of car someone owns aren't worth talking to, let alone making big financial decisions for.

I hope he sells the M3 now just to spite you :lol:

Face it... he pre-ordered an M3 before reviews were even out (would eventually be revealed it lost its edge) , didn't go for the manual if I remember correctly, and most importantly and telling of the situation he has never ever gone out of his way to try and enjoy the car. 

No enjoyable roads in Florida? Really? There are no highways you can find a time of day to open the damn car up? No auto x events? No tracks? Bullshit.

It is what it is, a poser buy. A self proclaimed millionaire shouldn't exactly need to give two shits on depreciation, fuel mileage, or maintenance costs on a level like this.  This is a feeble attempt on bailing on a car that probably scares him by claiming some awful financial moral high ground.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
For a normal car sure but the M3 isn't normal. The E46 is still trading close to 20K. An E30 in good condition could net you close to 100 grand or more.

Same reason why you can't buy an Elise for less than 30K regardless of year/mileage. Or look at what the 911 is doing right now.

Look I'm not saying it will for sure, and already pointed out why it may not, but it's a much different conversation with the M3 than it is a Civic.

F80 M3 appreciation is never going to happen.

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 05:14:42 PM

Do you think the 36 and 46 will start climbing soon as most have predicted?

I think the E9x manuals will climb faster than the 46 (if it does) unless M-division makes another bespoke engine. Also, I think we're nearing an inflection point on performance that will yield to regulations, autonomous cars, and/or other forms of future transportation that will stabalize what value there is in the bruiser-class.

FWIW I don't mean to imply that the F80 was a collector's car by any means, but neither are most of the M-cars and they still manage to hold value unlike normal cars. That a 20year old M3 in decent condition can still fetch 20K is unusual.  Not just to cars in general but other, more expensive BMWs.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2017, 05:31:57 PM

F80 with manual and the comp package probably will as the next generation ditches a manual.  This is 991GT3 all over again.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 05:31:10 PM
Face it... he pre-ordered an M3 before reviews were even out (would eventually be revealed it lost its edge) , didn't go for the manual if I remember correctly, and most importantly and telling of the situation he has never ever gone out of his way to try and enjoy the car. 

No enjoyable roads in Florida? Really? There are no highways you can find a time of day to open the damn car up? No auto x events? No tracks? Bullshit.

It is what it is, a poser buy. A self proclaimed millionaire shouldn't exactly need to give two shits on depreciation, fuel mileage, or maintenance costs on a level like this.  This is a feeble attempt on bailing on a car that probably scares him by claiming some awful financial moral high ground.
I'm going to leave Lebowski the opportunity to intellectually tear you limb from limb :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, he should keep a $70K car for the occasional highway run or track day. Such frivolous purchases and bad financial decisions are how millionaires stay millionaires  :lol:

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2017, 05:31:57 PM

Like I said, I don't see it with the corporate six, but it still has a decent chance of going the E46 route-ish which is a great place to be. Before maintenance.  :thumbsup:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 05:32:42 PM

I think the E9x manuals will climb faster than the 46 (if it does) unless M-division makes another bespoke engine. Also, I think we're nearing an inflection point on performance that will yield to regulations, autonomous cars, and/or other forms of future transportation that will stabalize what value there is in the bruiser-class.

FWIW I don't mean to imply that the F80 was a collector's car by any means, but neither are most of the M-cars and they still manage to hold value unlike normal cars. That a 20year old M3 in decent condition can still fetch 20K is unusual.  Not just to cars in general but other, more expensive BMWs.

My guess is that both E46s and E36s have bottomed out. And of the E90/92 variants I agree that manual, later years cars will hold some value (but I think they have lower to go yet - rod bearing fear). Of the current gen only the GTS and CS variants may one day be worth money. Definitely not a first year DCT sedan.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 05:34:26 PM
F80 with manual and the comp package probably will as the next generation ditches a manual.  This is 991GT3 all over again.

Possibly but any F80 apprecation is far, far in the future. A lot of room to go down first.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

r0tor

The non comp package cars might actually be a decent bargain in the near future.  The comp package spring rates are actually within 10% the normal car so that's minor.  The real magic is the returned dampers which it turns out can be added to the regular M3 with simple coding. The coding also makes the car sound better and arguably as powerful.

giant_mtb

68_427

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 05:32:42 PM

They already have.  An E36 M3 (non convertible) with less than 150k miles will cost you over $10k now.  Only a few years ago you could get a really nice one for less than $10K, but now you're looking at $15K-$20k for one with under 100k miles, and this in turn as began to drive up E46 M prices.
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 05, 2017, 05:47:28 PM
Well, this isn't getting off topic at all.

Shhhhhh. Finally a thread going off topic into something interesting for me.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Tave

Lebowski, SIAP but any interest in Volvo? I like the CR-V and can def see the appeal WRT build quality over the competition and design vs the Rav4, but the new Volvos are pretty baws. Also Buick could be a dark horse.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 05:46:17 PM
The non comp package cars might actually be a decent bargain in the near future.  The comp package spring rates are actually within 10% the normal car so that's minor.  The real magic is the returned dampers which it turns out can be added to the regular M3 with simple coding. The coding also makes the car sound better and arguably as powerful.

Yes. But if you really want a bargain, the outgoing M5s and M6s have dropped like a stone. 600hp(ish) and quite reliable especially compared to the E60.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 06:00:13 PM
Lebowski, SIAP but any interest in Volvo? I like the CR-V and can def see the appeal WRT build quality over the competition and design vs the Rav4, but the new Volvos are pretty baws. Also Buick could be a dark horse.

That new XC60 is lovely. But I am afraid that idea will hit into Lebowski's implacable financial analysis.

Maybe with Volvo the safety angle about protecting the 9yo can get traction. Can you put a price on that?

:)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 05:44:38 PM
Possibly but any F80 apprecation is far, far in the future. A lot of room to go down first.

Just wait until the next M3: 150hp combined hybrid inline 3 banger with an autopilot and no steering wheel. The three of us left who are licensed to selfdrive will be trading each other our firstborns for a manual Sentra.

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 06:03:32 PM
That new XC60 is lovely. But I am afraid that idea will hit into Lebowski's implacable financial analysis.

Maybe with Volvo the safety angle about protecting the 9yo can get traction. Can you put a price on that?

:)

Base MSRP is 30,000 less than 70,000. They're basically giving them away!

r0tor

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 06:01:09 PM
Yes. But if you really want a bargain, the outgoing M5s and M6s have dropped like a stone. 600hp(ish) and quite reliable especially compared to the E60.

The executive cruiser thing though is a tough market to stand out in. There was no real way of making the M5 "something special" from BMW so I doubt their resale will ever be anything.  Plus V8 BMW engines aren't very trustworthy at the moment.

But yea, one day fairly soon a 600 hp rocket might not be too hard to afford!

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 06:04:59 PM
Just wait until the next M3: 150hp combined hybrid inline 3 banger with an autopilot and no steering wheel. The three of us left who are licensed to selfdrive will be trading each other our firstborns for a manual Sentra.

Combine that with the next 2er going FWD.  Oh my...

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 06:10:53 PM
The executive cruiser thing though is a tough market to stand out in. There was no real way of making the M5 "something special" from BMW so I doubt their resale will ever be anything.  Plus V8 BMW engines aren't very trustworthy at the moment.

But yea, one day fairly soon a 600 hp rocket might not be too hard to afford!

The first turbo V8s were shit (N63) the M versions (S63) and the later (N63TU) V8s are ok. 0-60 times aren't that good because of traction limits. But in-gear acceleration is awesome.

Also: not investments, bargain rockets.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)