A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 01:19:08 PM

Your going to stuff a child seat and a preteen in the 60 side of a bench seat and add 2 dogs in a Crv? Hope the kids and dogs are miniature.

Uh, you're the guy who suggested the X1 and sell the 4Runner. You realize the X1 is significantly smaller than the CRV right?  How were you envisioning things working with that?  Or we would just caravan everywhere with 2 cars?

9 years old a stretch to call preteen.  I'm not talking ideal for a 13 hour trip, I'm talking about the maybe once a year instance where dogs go to the vet and "preeeeeeeeeeeteen" is home from school. It's a 15 minute drive. 

As per loading things above the rear seat height, are you really going to stack things above your kids head behind them so they get hit in the head during a panic stop?  Hell no. A Crv probably has about 12-15 cubic feet of space behind the rear seat up to the seat height. Your M3 is more practical for a trip.

Yeah, I was talking specifically about the instances where I place a bowling ball atop our luggage.  I'll have to do 2 going forward, one behind each child.

No dumbass, a typical piece of luggage can be laid flat or stood up. Depending on height will be taller than seats. Sometimes (gasp) a pillow or blanket is thrown on top.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 01:34:22 PM

I have a neighbor with a $3million house and drives a late 90s Accord... I get it and i really don't care for it

No, you do not, your posts including this one make that clear.

If you don't use something, get rid of it.  If you don't get value out of something, don't buy it.  Doesn't need to be a huge % of net worth for that to hold.  ~$50k KBB isn't make or break for my financial position, but isn't chump change either. 

People tend to replace stuff with at minimum equivalent and more often upgrade over time (hedonistic treadmill) ... i.e. for many luxury car buyers a $70k car purchase isn't just the $70k car today, they'll replace it with an $80k car in 3-5 years, a $90k car 3-5 years after that etc, all financed of course. The sooner you can form the conclusion "you know what, I like this $70k car just fine, but I'm also mostly indifferent between driving it and this $40k car I bought 6 years ago" the better.  I can sell it and replace w/ a $30k CUV she'll drive 6-7 years, I'll drive the 4Runner a couple/few years and replace it with something similar (hopefully there's a 6th gen 4Runner coming) and keep that for 7-10 years.  Repeat. Adds up over time, on both sides of the equation (increases net worth and decreases cost of living, financial independence is a function of both). 

You can stop digging in to a losing argument and go enjoy your vacation. 

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Quote from: MrH on September 05, 2017, 12:25:41 PM
The CX-9 isn't all that much bigger than what you're looking at.  Give that a shot Morris.

Exterior dimensions are.  It's 10" longer than the 4Runner
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Hell no. A Crv probably has about 12-15 cubic feet of space behind the rear seat up to the seat height. Your M3 is more practical for a trip.

M3's trunk is 12 cubic feet, gets worse gas mileage, and he cares 10x more about anything happening to it because he has twice the money tied up in it.  This is more practical?
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 05, 2017, 12:25:41 PM
The CX-9 isn't all that much bigger than what you're looking at.  Give that a shot Morris.
I'll take a look thanks. But I worry about sticking little 4-bangers in big SUVs  (I have the same prejudice against the big Volvos.) But I'll do some more research on the CX-9
Lebowski's had the same revelation as me. I love cars and everything to do with them, but we have two fun cars when we actually need one fun car (the Merc) and one sensible appliance, with a bit of space in the back for hauling garbage and doing the occasional airport run with people and their cases. I get no utility out of the G37. The needed utility also extends now to actually needing traction of some kind on all four wheels now that I'm in an area with very hilly terrain with lots of steep grades.
I absolutely see why he likes the CR-V: it's a standout in the segment, especially the latest model.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

My BFF is running a tite game in this here thread.

Less is most definitely more - cars, houses, etc., and it's much better to (finally) find out sooner rather than later.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 01:39:17 PM
Uh, you're the guy who suggested the X1 and sell the 4Runner. You realize the X1 is significantly smaller than the CRV right?  How were you envisioning things working with that?  Or we would just caravan everywhere with 2 cars?

9 years old a stretch to call preteen.  I'm not talking ideal for a 13 hour trip, I'm talking about the maybe once a year instance where dogs go to the vet and "preeeeeeeeeeeteen" is home from school. It's a 15 minute drive. 

Yeah, I was talking specifically about the instances where I place a bowling ball atop our luggage.  I'll have to do 2 going forward, one behind each child.

No dumbass, a typical piece of luggage can be laid flat or stood up. Depending on height will be taller than seats. Sometimes (gasp) a pillow or blanket is thrown on top.

I mentioned the X1 since it's CX5 sized.

The obvious thing is to replace the 4 Runner with a large CUV/SUV.  Then you have a nice new reliable vehicle for long trips, and a nice low mileage sedan to handle lesser affairs... Rather then keeping the high mileage vehicle and replacing the low mileage vehicle with one of equal utility.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 02:35:11 PM

I mentioned the X1 since it's CX5 sized.

The obvious thing is to replace the 4 Runner with a large CUV/SUV.  Then you have a nice new reliable vehicle for long trips, and a nice low mileage sedan to handle lesser affairs... Rather then keeping the high mileage vehicle and replacing the low mileage vehicle with one of equal utility.

4Runner is reliable and should remain reliable for years.

CRV is not "equal utility" as an M3. That's laughable, has been pointed out as laughable. It's not only has greater utility it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to own and maintain, less of a headache, and statistically should be significantly more reliable. 

Dont want a larger SUV. Most likely (eventual) replacement for the 4Runner will be another 4Runner. She and I both like the 4runner and want to keep it.  Selling it at this point isn't being entertained.

r0tor

You do realize I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you originally bought an M3 because you enjoy driving and not because you actually are complete poser trying to impress a bunch of random strangers on an internet forum... The open wanting to trade it for a Crv in the name of "its a better financial decision" (when we all know the $20k difference won't mean shit to your wealth) for a smallish CUV of dubious actual utility really makes things questionable.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

The $25,000 in depreciation you'll eat would buy you a lot of gas. Your 4Runner isn't high mileage for a Yota. If you feel comfortable with the reliability going forward, seems like it makes the most sense to keep everything as-is, unless the M3 is costing you a fortune to maintain. The longer you can hold it without paying out any catastrophic repair bills, the more valuable it will likely be, with the big variable being how future buyers will respond to the corporate 6-cylinder.

Is it really that boring of a commuter? Seems like the perfect toy for Florida's straight, flat roads. It's not quite the lithe athlete it once was, but it's definitely a highway bomber.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 03:02:11 PM

You do realize I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you originally bought an M3 because you enjoy driving and not because you actually are complete poser trying to impress a bunch of random strangers on an internet forum... The open wanting to trade it for a Crv in the name of "its a better financial decision" (when we all know the $20k difference won't mean shit to your wealth) for a smallish CUV of dubious actual utility really makes things questionable.

Don't need any benefit of the doubt - it would be very difficult to underestimate how much I care that you think I am or am not a poseur. If I was, I doubt I'd start a thread about trading an M3 for a CRV. Nah, a poseur would do exactly what you recommend, keep the M3 and buy another one in 2 years and an M5 3 years after that all the while telling himself he's enjoying them.

I like driving, sure. On an open winding country or mountain road.  That's like 1% of my driving, and I don't buy cars for 1% of my driving.

Like I said, I don't expect you to get it - most don't, just look at all the luxury cars on the road.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 03:07:40 PM

The $25,000 in depreciation you'll eat would buy you a lot of gas.

Doesn't work that way. The depreciation that's already taken place is gone and I won't be getting that back whether I keep it or not. No ones writing me a check for gas if I keep it.

Generally speaking yeah, I don't buy cars with the intention of keeping them only 3 years, but it is what it is.  It's not going to stop depreciating or appreciate, selling it and replacing with a significantly cheaper car is a financial positive.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 03:02:11 PM

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Your jealousy is palpable. I can almost see it... a little green monster in a MAGA hat :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 03:17:52 PM

I like driving, sure. On an open winding country or mountain road.  That's like 1% of my driving, and I don't buy cars for 1% of my driving.

1%?  You must take a fair number of road trips outside of Florida, because no such roads exist in the Sunshine State.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 03:17:52 PM

Don't need any benefit of the doubt - it would be very difficult to underestimate how much I care that you think I am or am not a poseur. If I was, I doubt I'd start a thread about trading an M3 for a CRV. Nah, a poseur would do exactly what you recommend, keep the M3 and buy another one in 2 years and an M5 3 years after that all the while telling himself he's enjoying them.

Like I said, I don't expect you to get it - most don't, just look at all the luxury cars on the road.

No what a poser would do is dump the M3 while trying to make it look like a moral financial decision.  You either got the $$$$ you claim or you don't. Enough with the BS.

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2017, 04:07:34 PM
1%?  You must take a fair number of road trips outside of Florida, because no such roads exist in the Sunshine State.

Lol. 1% honestly might be high.

On the way to the gun range where I take classes 3-4 times a year, http://www.southernexposuretraining.com, the last 5 or so minutes of that drive is kind of fun.  In a typical workweek I'd say pretty much 0% is fun driving.

Yeah, FL not a great place for fun winding roads esp w/ elevation changes.

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 03:07:40 PM
The $25,000 in depreciation you'll eat would buy you a lot of gas. Your 4Runner isn't high mileage for a Yota. If you feel comfortable with the reliability going forward, seems like it makes the most sense to keep everything as-is, unless the M3 is costing you a fortune to maintain. The longer you can hold it without paying out any catastrophic repair bills, the more valuable it will likely be, with the big variable being how future buyers will respond to the corporate 6-cylinder.

Is it really that boring of a commuter? Seems like the perfect toy for Florida's straight, flat roads. It's not quite the lithe athlete it once was, but it's definitely a highway bomber.

He has 4 years of full free maintenance and if he is only driving 6k miles a year it's not costing crap for fuel.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 04:10:46 PM
No what a poser would do is dump the M3 while trying to make it look like a moral financial decision.  You either got the $$$$ you claim or you don't. Enough with the BS.

Lol.

Fuck off, angry twat. 

Cookie Monster

Other than rotors angry posts, all I've learned from this thread is that Florida sounds like a terrible place.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 05, 2017, 04:17:30 PM
Other than rotors angry posts, all I've learned from this thread is that Florida sounds like a terrible place.

The complaints about Florida roads and their lack of fun is the same in most of the US
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Your going to stuff a child seat and a preteen in the 60 side of a bench seat and add 2 dogs in a Crv? Hope the kids and dogs are miniature.

As per loading things above the rear seat height, are you really going to stack things above your kids head behind them so they get hit in the head during a panic stop?  Hell no. A Crv probably has about 12-15 cubic feet of space behind the rear seat up to the seat height. Your M3 is more practical for a trip.

Again, you can't put dogs in the trunk. :nutty:

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 03:23:02 PM

Doesn't work that way. The depreciation that's already taken place is gone and I won't be getting that back whether I keep it or not. No ones writing me a check for gas if I keep it.

Generally speaking yeah, I don't buy cars with the intention of keeping them only 3 years, but it is what it is.  It's not going to stop depreciating or appreciate, selling it and replacing with a significantly cheaper car is a financial positive.

Your BMW has already taken it's biggest hit and very well might possibly level out at 30-40K even if it never appreciates in value while you own it. The CR-V will begin a slow march to Zero as soon as you drive it off the lot.

It's the difference between an unrealized, 35K loss in the indefinite future (with potential upside) vs a realized 25K hit now plus another guaranteed unrealized 15-30K loss going forward.

Obviously maintenance costs are a huge variable, and maybe the Beemer's value drops like a stone and it's a point moot, but if it isn't murdering you on servicing and/or ¿payments? you can make an economic case for it.

On the other hand, you've kept the mileage nice and low and can get out now if the variability or thought of having that much money tied up in a vehicle doesn't sit well w you.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

2o6

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:25:11 PM

Your BMW has already taken it's biggest hit and very well might possibly level out at 30-40K even if it never appreciates in value while you own it. The CR-V will begin a slow march to Zero as soon as you drive it off the lot.

It's the difference between an unrealized, 35K loss in the indefinite future (with potential upside) vs a realized 25K hit now plus another guaranteed unrealized 15-30K loss going forward.

Obviously maintenance costs are a huge variable, and maybe the Beemer's value drops like a stone and it's a point moot, but if it isn't murdering you on servicing and/or ¿payments? you can make an economic case for it.

On the other hand, you've kept the mileage nice and low and can get out now if the variability or thought of having that much money tied up in a vehicle doesn't sit well w you.

That's not how it works. It's not an investment, it's a car - there is no "potential upside" in the future and the depreciation isn't going to "level out" either, it will likely decelerate sure but it's going to continue to depreciate.  Yes, a CRV will depreciate towards zero, so will the M3.  Im not an expert on BMW depreciation rates, maybe Hector can weigh in but as far as I'm aware off-warranty M-cars depreciate.  This isn't a classic, it's not a collectible, it's a three year old example of a car currently in production. 

Yes, the depreciation curve is steepest early in a cars life hence why buying new cars and keeping only 2-3 years (read: leases) is generally a bad idea.  I get that, I agree with it, and I always buy cars with the intention of keeping them 6-7 years or more (and in all other cases have stuck to that).

I'm not interested in making a financial case for keeping it (and fwiw there's never a financial case to be made for luxury items). It's a luxury that's being underutilized and doesn't bring be value commensurate with its cost, whether you want to call that purchase price or current value (opportunity cost).

FWIW w/ all this talk of depreciation, its not something I give any thought to. From a mental accounting standpoint I treat buying a car the same way I do buying a cheeseburger - I pay cash and mentally write the thing off to zero (expense it). When I think about my net worth, I don't think "oh and I have two cars worth $x". Cars are consumables, they're used until they're eventually sold, usually w/ proceeds going towards a newer (more expensive) car. I looked up KBB only when I started thinking of selling it. The only piece of this puzzle with a positive expected return is the ~$20k net saved.

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on September 05, 2017, 04:31:53 PM
Maybe he just wants another fuckin car

This forum, I swear

FWIW, he said in his first post that he might do nothing. I was just playing devil's advocate and making the financial case for the M3, such as it is.

In reality his fate was prolly sealed as soon as he floated the idea of buying her a new ride.  :thumbsup:

68_427

THE CR-V will depreciate less in the next 3-5 years than his M3 will all while freeing up $20,000 during that time frame.
'racecar is die'
no

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 04:37:55 PM

That's not how it works. It's not an investment, it's a car - there is no "potential upside" in the future and the depreciation isn't going to "level off" either, it's going to continue to depreciate.  Yes, a CRV will depreciate towards zero, so will the M3.  Im not an expert on BMW depreciation rates, maybe Hector can weigh in but as far as I'm aware off-warranty M-cars depreciate.

Yes, the depreciation curve is steepest early in a cars life hence why buying new cars and keeping only 2-3 years (read: leases) is generally a bad idea.  I get that, I agree with it, and I always buy cars with the intention of keeping them 6-7 years or more (and in all other cases have stuck to that).

I'm not interested in making a financial case for keeping it (and fwiw there's never a financial case to be made for luxury items). It's a luxury that's being underutilized and doesn't bring be value commensurate with its cost, whether you want to call that purchase price or current value (opportunity cost).

For a normal car sure but the M3 isn't normal. The E46 is still trading close to 20K. An E30 in good condition could net you close to 100 grand or more.

Same reason why you can't buy an Elise for less than 30K regardless of year/mileage. Or look at what the 911 is doing right now.

Look I'm not saying it will for sure, and already pointed out why it may not, but it's a much different conversation with the M3 than it is a Civic.

Tave

Quote from: 68_427 on September 05, 2017, 04:41:34 PM
THE CR-V will depreciate less in the next 3-5 years than his M3 will all while freeing up $20,000 during that time frame.

Depends. If the BMW levels off forget it. But even if it doesn't, it could crawl slowly enough to be a wash.