A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 09:13:37 AM
I've never donated. You?

Only person to person. I try not to go corporate with it--you know the farm to table movement? It's kind of like that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 11:06:59 AM

If there's a wedding you'll be the first spinner to get an invite  :lol:

Cohabitat w/ someone for awhile and sooner or later people start referring to you as "mr and mrs __" , refer to "your husband" or "your wife", refer to her son as "your son" (to me) or "your dad" (to him), after awhile you just kinda get used to it and stop correcting people, it's an understandable and IMO harmless mistake.

Not that it's here or there but fwiw my parents are divorced, her parents are divorced, I'm 36 and have plenty of peers who are divorced etc. a piece of paper doesn't define a relationship.  We likely will get married at some point and there are some practical benefits (health insurance, estate planning etc) but neither of us is insecure in our current position and honestly I haven't received the pressure many guys seem to get.

When my friend put a baby in his girl, people were pushing him to propose. He waited a long time, way after the first kid came to do it. Years later, they are happily married still, with two kids.

Personally, marriage doesn't matter. Legally it does, but that's a different story. I support your decision not to get married. I personally don't understand marriage as an institution very much, and probably wouldn't get married myself unless to simplify things or the woman I'm with places value on the status of being married.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

The "start a family/build a life before marriage" thing is something I'm seeing more and more. To each their own
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2017, 11:49:18 AM

When my friend put a baby in his girl, people were pushing him to propose. He waited a long time, way after the first kid came to do it. Years later, they are happily married still, with two kids.

Personally, marriage doesn't matter. Legally it does, but that's a different story. I support your decision not to get married. I personally don't understand marriage as an institution very much, and probably wouldn't get married myself unless to simplify things or the woman I'm with places value on the status of being married.

Thank you. I support your choice not to get married as well :lol:

I'm not religious, so maybe that colors my perception of marriage a bit as well as all the failed marriages out there (whether divorce or people who choose to remain in bad marriages).  I also know so many guys (and a few girls) who were heavily pressured to get married, some who were given ultimatums ("marry me or I'm leaving your ass" ... yeah that sounds like someone you wanna lock down for eternity), even some who were coerced into it (Rotor?). I don't get it, that kind of behavior seems unhealthy to me and if you're that insecure in your relationship maybe it isn't meant to be. I'm not anti-marriage, but the implication you can't be in a healthy long term relationship / stable family situation without it ... really?  It's 2017, gays have made huge strides in terms of acceptance maybe unmarried straight couples will be next.

It really is just another "what car should we buy" thread guys.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on September 26, 2017, 07:52:11 PM
Bruh. Wife that shit up, pay off her student loans, and find a yoga studio she doesn't have to commute 25,000 miles/year to teach at. Good lord.

You must really, really, really hate that M3.
Well, now that it's been explained what the hell you were talking about, I fully agree...and not just because of any symbolic gesture or in the eyes of some God or another or even because it just might be the right thing to do...but I recall the picture he posted of them in the car he just picked up and was on the way back home and remember thinking 'boy, she's a way out of his league, wonder what she see's in him'.

So now, my unsolicited advice..."Wife that shit up". 

Now, I know that you're a bit of a hard case and don't take kindly to unsolicited advice but, from what I could tell from that picture, she's a damned classy lady and, even if she outwardly doesn't seem to desire any luxury in a vehicle, she deserves to have a classy ride with all the safety features available.  With that, I would recommend dropping by the Volvo, land Rover, Jaguar dealership and see what her reaction of one of these is.  Just tell her it's all about safety.  She'll appreciate that.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

I don't have a problem w/ unsolicited advice and in fact this thread, like most "what car should I/we buy" threads, was intended to solicit advice. Some here (not you) have let their imaginations run away with them and as a result their advice isn't really relevant, then get angry and almost obsessive.  Tave for example apparently still holding a grudge that his entirely absurd opinion that a 3 y/o luxury car will "appreciate" was rejected out of hand for what it was.

I'm not really convinced the luxo options offer much if any real "safety" advantage vs the mainstreamers.

MrH

I've got it.

Instead of a ring, give her a used M3 as a sign of your love.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Damn Lebowski, teach me your ways. Bald and poor yet you still somehow managed to put a baby in a hot woman while not having to marry her AND giving her a Honda?

Too much alpha all in one place.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2017, 12:08:24 PM
The "start a family/build a life before marriage" thing is something I'm seeing more and more. To each their own

If my wife and I hadn't needed the marriage earlier on for immigration purposes, that's the route we'd have also taken. The romantic aspect is building a life together, and a marriage is about settling legal matters. If the latter can wait, then you avoid needless paperwork if it becomes clear quickly that it was a bad idea.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 08:24:09 AM

Nah, not mine man she told me she went to the sperm bank.  Oh wait no, that was Rotor's wife.

Personal attack on my wife... Congrats on being a douchebag
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 02:30:53 PM

Personal attack on my wife... Congrats on being a douchebag

Well, really more directed at you than your wife.

Rotor you've been personally attacking me and making bizarre insinuations for a good portion of 20+ pages incl recently making outlandish claims about myself and my sig other :huh:

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 05:26:37 AM

Ah, so the real story is wife is not a wife, has financial issues, and Lebowski only want to do as little as possible to help her out...

...Now it all makes sense...  :popcorn:

Sounds to me maybe your wife is a wife because she coerced you into it?  And you're casting stones at my family situation from that glass house of your own?

Fuck off, Rotor.

giant_mtb

If two mature adults want to have a family and not rush the marriage malarkey, I'm cool with that.  I don't see myself getting married (or having kids for that matter).  It's the idiots that get married at 19, pop out three kids, and are divorced and angry by 24 that cause problems...the cycle seems to repeat too often.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 01:27:51 PM
I don't have a problem w/ unsolicited advice and in fact this thread, like most "what car should I/we buy" threads, was intended to solicit advice. Some here (not you) have let their imaginations run away with them and as a result their advice isn't really relevant, then get angry and almost obsessive.  Tave for example apparently still holding a grudge that his entirely absurd opinion that a 3 y/o luxury car will "appreciate" was rejected out of hand for what it was.

I'm not really convinced the luxo options offer much if any real "safety" advantage vs the mainstreamers.

Hardly a grudge, nor was I positive it would appreciate...

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:25:11 PM
Your BMW has already taken it's biggest hit and very well might possibly level out at 30-40K even if it never appreciates in value while you own it. The CR-V will begin a slow march to Zero as soon as you drive it off the lot.

It's the difference between an unrealized, 35K loss in the indefinite future (with potential upside) vs a realized 25K hit now plus another guaranteed unrealized 15-30K loss going forward.

Obviously maintenance costs are a huge variable, and maybe the Beemer's value drops like a stone and it's a point moot, but if it isn't murdering you on servicing and/or ¿payments? you can make an economic case for it.

On the other hand, you've kept the mileage nice and low and can get out now if the variability or thought of having that much money tied up in a vehicle doesn't sit well w you.

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:38:24 PM
FWIW, he said in his first post that he might do nothing. I was just playing devil's advocate and making the financial case for the M3, such as it is.

In reality his fate was prolly sealed as soon as he floated the idea of buying her a new ride.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
For a normal car sure but the M3 isn't normal. The E46 is still trading close to 20K. An E30 in good condition could net you close to 100 grand or more.

Same reason why you can't buy an Elise for less than 30K regardless of year/mileage. Or look at what the 911 is doing right now.

Look I'm not saying it will for sure, and already pointed out why it may not, but it's a much different conversation with the M3 than it is a Civic.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 03:48:59 PM

Hardly a grudge, nor was I positive it would appreciate...

Usually when I'm wrong I'm not positive, either. That a 3 y/o luxury car has beyond minuscule likelihood of appreciating is such an absurd position that any level of confidence is laughable.

Maybe I misread vitriol into some of your more recent posts where there was none. This is a fairly straightforward "what car should we buy" thread, the unrelated personal advice you've offered is based on erroneous assumptions.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 04:12:40 PM

Usually when I'm wrong I'm not positive, either. That a 3 y/o luxury car has beyond minuscule likelihood of appreciating is such an absurd position that any level of confidence is laughable.

I specifically said it would depreciate, to a point, but that it may very well level off and possibly grow given the historical depreciation curve of the model.

I think I hit a nerve here and apologize if I offended you. The "babymama drama" was meant in jest.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 04:12:40 PM
Maybe I misread vitriol into some of your more recent posts where there was none. This is a fairly straightforward "what car should we buy" thread, the unrelated personal advice you've offered is based on erroneous assumptions.

Understood, my b, just trying to nudge you back towards the M3 dude.  :thumbsup:

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 04:23:15 PM
I specifically said it would depreciate, to a point, but that it may very well level off and possibly grow given the historical depreciation curve of the model.

I think I hit a nerve here and apologize if I offended you. The "babymama drama" was meant in jest.

Added an edit to my post above. Like I said earlier, no label offends me esp if meant in good humor and we joke around about our situation pretty openly, a minority of comments ITT were clearly not made in jest and I sorta lumped you in and for that I apologize.

veeman

Just wondering if the 50,000 on the odometer Lexus RX is on its original brakes and tires or second set?  If on the first, they're both going to have to be replaced soon.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 02:39:08 PM

Well, really more directed at you than your wife.

Rotor you've been personally attacking me and making bizarre insinuations for a good portion of 20+ pages incl recently making outlandish claims about myself and my sig other :huh:

Sounds to me maybe your wife is a wife because she coerced you into it?  And you're casting stones at my family situation from that glass house of your own?

Fuck off, Rotor.

Mature of you.  Start a thread based off a lie, I call you on it, it finally comes out that I was actually right, and you start making personal insults and then try insults on my wife.

You are pathetic.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 04:51:18 PM
Mature of you.  Start a thread based off a lie, I call you on it, it finally comes out that I was actually right, and you start making personal insults and then try insults on my wife.

You are pathetic.

Like I said, you sure caught me in a web of truths. I don't lie and there's not a lie (on my part) ITT.

You've got some serious self esteem / self image issues man, related to relationships, money, status/status purchases etc. My best guess is you feel as if you were coerced into a marriage you don't want to be in, and very likely with an expensive wife.  Very possibly some fertility issues and/or disagreement on wanting another child as well given her desire to have kids to the point of the sperm bank incident, and your recent thread re throwing in the towel due to "too old" despite both of you still being quite young, in your prime even.  Best of luck man :cheers:

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on September 27, 2017, 05:31:22 PM

Like I said, you sure caught me in a web of truths. I don't lie and there's not a lie (on my part) ITT.

You've got some serious self esteem / self image issues man, related to relationships, money, status/status purchases etc. My best guess is you feel as if you were coerced into a marriage you don't want to be in, and very likely with an expensive wife. Best of luck man :cheers:

Do me next (again).

r0tor's more right than wrong ITT. There are many inconsistencies with your 'SPIN persona and at times it's just too much.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on September 27, 2017, 05:36:56 PM

Do me next (again).

r0tor's more right than wrong ITT. There are many inconsistencies with your 'SPIN persona and at times it's just too much.

What's Rotor right about specifically?  Lots of vague "this is quite suspicious!" type comments from both of you (assuming you're not the same person which I'm not convinced of), not much in way of specifics.

Everything ITT is entirely consistent with my only persona.

You've certainly revealed yourself as far more of a consumerist than your own 'Spin 'persona' up to this point, hints at some other inconsistencies as well. 

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: veeman on September 27, 2017, 04:50:22 PM
Just wondering if the 50,000 on the odometer Lexus RX is on its original brakes and tires or second set?  If on the first, they're both going to have to be replaced soon.

At 50K, on some of my cars, I'd be on my fifth set! I think the best I ever did was something like 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2017, 06:58:40 AM
At 50K, on some of my cars, I'd be on my fifth set! I think the best I ever did was something like 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

For me it's about 50,000 miles for tires.  My Infiniti QX56 only lasted 35,000; maybe because they're 22s, I don't know. Brake job if I remember right is usually around 50,000 miles.

Back on thread topic - goal is to save money AND make wife happy so new CRV vs 3 yr old Lexus RX with 50,000 miles.  For me no matter how reliable a brand like Lexus  is, it's still significantly more expensive to service/maintain than a CRV.  Everything is more expensive like tires, brakes, etc and you'll need to replace them sooner than you would in a new car.  All that goes out the window if wife is leaning towards it though and the Lexus will feel and drive a lot better than a CRV.  CRV chassis is based on something similar to a Civic I thought.  Smoothness, interior quality including that of leather, isolation will all be better in the Lexus.  Lexus RX curb weight is close to 1,000 lbs more than that of a Honda CRV. 

I'd take the Lexus if wife likes it and if it was a real good deal knowing I'll have to pay a grand or likely more to get new tires and a brake job real soon.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2017, 06:58:40 AM

M3 got 16k out of original set.  Not that it was a surprise (inline with the C6) but when it was time for tires was one of the things that triggered the thought in my head "why am I driving a car like this when the thing is usually driven at like 1-2 10ths, only once in awhile sees even 5 10ths".

4Runner at 95k miles I believe is on only its second set, and still has some tread left.

RX if we went that way I'd just deal with after and replace if necessary. It's my mom so not like I'm gonna be like "sorry mom I'm deducting tires and brakes from kbb". 

Morris Minor

Just wondering if living in sin might change the equation. The M3's performance would come in handy for escaping the fires of Hell & eternal damnation.
:devil:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși