A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 06:12:16 PM
Combine that with the next 2er going FWD.  Oh my...

That's not for sure. The 1er, yes. The 2 may remain on the RWD platform.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

I don't know, at the bmw event the isolation and refinement of the M5/6 just made the speed sensation sort of go away... I never really remember feeling all that excited
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 06:14:35 PM
That's not for sure. The 1er, yes. The 2 may remain on the RWD platform.

Hope that's the case.. The last I read was the M2 is dead in a few more years and the 2er is fwd/awd
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 05:14:42 PM

His M3 will definitely continue to depreciate until it hits values similar to what E46s trade for today IMO. It won't get as low as an E36 but definitely not a rare collectible.

I am curious as to in which aspects Lebowski lets himself "go" a bit financially. I think (obviously) that toys are ok and not all decisions have to be financially by the book. Within reason, life is short.

Also, some level of desire for nice things can drive effort at work. And that can be good not only for yourself but also for people you can impact.

I can't imagine trading my cars for a "normal" mainstreamer unless there is serious financial stress on the horizon. Every time I've entertained that my personal conclusion is that the relatively small financial hit is well worth the pleasure I get from driving them and just looking at them. Clearly Lebowski's priorities are different.

A few years ago some of you know I sold my E46 to get into a small capital raise we needed. Best financial decision ever but also nice to have been able to buy it back later.

We still spend quite a bit. Currently spending on house shit (landscaping, furniture, handful of other things) but that I plan to have largely done by year end. We travel a good amount, we eat out, spend on booze/wine, entertainment, kids activities, the typical stuff. I've sorta gone full circle on spending and financial goals the last few years and may post a more detailed post in the personal finance thread at some point. Long story short I increased my spending quite a bit from 2010-2015ish and came to the conclusion of you know what, my level of spending has gone up but my overall comfort has not done so by a commensurate amount. A lot of moving pieces during that period though including going from single no kids no plans to ever have kids to a family w/ 2 kids.  Went from having a long time goal of retiring early, sort of abandoned that goal for a couple of years, and came back to it.

Cookie Monster

With the way EAG has been buying and marking up M cars and BMW starting to kill all the fun out of new M cars, I can see all current M cars starting to appreciate in the future.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 05, 2017, 06:34:17 PM
With the way EAG has been buying and marking up M cars and BMW starting to kill all the fun out of new M cars, I can see all current M cars starting to appreciate in the future.

Yea... I think I remember them trying to sell a bunch of M2 for like $110k recently  :facepalm:

r0tor

Speaking of the M2... I'm left to wonder how bad of a financial deal is in it would be to get one (or wait to see how radical/limited the CS model will be).

If you have the money, potentially you can have an absolutely amazing driver's car and lose little to no money if you reserve it for a few good drives a year...

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 05:31:10 PM

Face it... he pre-ordered an M3 before reviews were even out (would eventually be revealed it lost its edge) , didn't go for the manual if I remember correctly, and most importantly and telling of the situation he has never ever gone out of his way to try and enjoy the car. 

No enjoyable roads in Florida? Really? There are no highways you can find a time of day to open the damn car up? No auto x events? No tracks? Bullshit.

It is what it is, a poser buy. A self proclaimed millionaire shouldn't exactly need to give two shits on depreciation, fuel mileage, or maintenance costs on a level like this.  This is a feeble attempt on bailing on a car that probably scares him by claiming some awful financial moral high ground.

It's poseur, P-O-S-E-U-R.

Secondly yes it has a manual. Decent number of reviews were out at the time.

I'm not claiming there isn't a single fun road in the state. I'm saying the vast majority of my normal driving yields little to no opportunity for aggressive or spirited driving.  Sure there are tracks. I've never tracked my car, never claimed otherwise and never declared an intention to track it when I bought it.  If after 3 years of ownership you don't use something to its potential, IME it's not likely that's gonna change.  Happens all the time esp with stuff related to hobbies. A few years ago I bought a DSLR, never got into photography, and sold it. Sometimes I'll buy a gun I intend to shoot, never end up shooting it, if I'm not too lazy I'll sell it. No big deal, life is too short to feign interest in things because you already bought all the gear.

The very title of this thread admits to being an unthusiast.  If I'm freely calling myself an unthusiast, by definition I can't really be called a poseur can I?  After you master the spelling you can work on using the name correctly.

I'm going to let you in on another secret regarding personal finance:  a million dollars isn't really a lot of money. I mean, it is and it isn't. It is in the sense that saving a million dollars takes time. But using the safe withdrawal assumptions I use, $1 million provides a measly $30k/year in sustainable retirement living expenses. $30k/year isn't a lot of money.  $60k/yr is better but still not a lot. My end goal was never to have a million dollars and then spend like a lottery winner, it's keep saving and get to five or six million, or more, plus a paid off house, by as young an age as reasonably possible. I'm not there yet, and if I have a $70k (new, or $50k or whatever kbb) depreciating toy sitting in my driveway that I'm not deriving value from, I'm going to sell it.  That that somehow bothers you, is fucking weird.  That you think a car determines whether or not a person is lame, means you're a dullard, a lemming, a ... well it makes you lame as shit.

r0tor

Your not using a 4 Runner to its full potential unless your doing some nasty offroading.
Your daily commute won't use anything short of a moped to its full potential.

The argument is moot. If you bought something for image and to impress and are bailing, just admit it and move on... Yeesh

My heart also goes out to your suffering bank account.

r0tor

And for the record...

Poser

pos·er
ˈpōzər/Submit
noun
a person who acts in an affected manner in order to impress others.
synonyms:   exhibitionist, poseur, posturer, fake; informalshow-off
"he's such a poser"

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 05:14:42 PM
Also, some level of desire for nice things can drive effort at work. And that can be good not only for yourself but also for people you can impact.

That almost never works out well, esp. if the desire compels consumer debt to get those nice things.

giant_mtb

Commuting on a moped takes time, man.  Trust me.  Unless you're in a dense urban area where getting over 35mph doesn't happen. :lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:03:06 PM

Your not using a 4 Runner to its full potential unless your doing some nasty offroading.

The argument is moot. If you bought something for image and to impress and are bailing, just admit it and move on... Yeesh

I/we use the 4Runner according for the intended purpose I bought it for, moreso than I initially expected actually.

Intended purpose was probably a poor choice of words (edited to fix) - used in such a way that it has value, is worth having, determined by me, not you. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Virtually all luxury car purchases are driven in some part by image. If image was of outsized importance to me, I wouldn't be looking at CRVs would I?

My bank account gets $20k bigger from this :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 05, 2017, 07:08:30 PM
Commuting on a moped takes time, man.  Trust me.  Unless you're in a dense urban area where getting over 35mph doesn't happen. :lol:

Eh, he did say it's only 1.5 miles... I thought I was being reasonable

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:03:06 PM

Is it not possible to buy a car simply because you like it? It can't be either do track days or be a poser. There's a shitload of gray area between there.

Also not sure how the M3 is a waste of money, but spending $25K to sell a perfectly good 4Runner for an X1 isn't... especially when Lebowski is OK with selling the M3 for a CR-V :confused:

There isn't one piece of the solution you've presented that makes any sense :wtf:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:22:09 PM
An M3 is worth the money when you actually enjoy driving it

Which is...why he's getting rid of it...? :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:22:09 PM

An M3 is worth the money when you actually enjoy driving it

I offered it to you two pages back and crickets?

r0tor

I couldn't possibly afford such a thing apparently with only 6 figures in my net worth

giant_mtb

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:39:12 PM

I couldn't possibly afford such a thing apparently with only 6 figures in my net worth

Sure ya can, talk to your local bank about financing.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 07:39:12 PM
Only a bitch ass poser would let something like personal finances get in the way of owning a REAL driver's car. Don't you want your son to think you're cool?

SHAME. *clang clang* SHAME *clang cla-clang*
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Hahaha this thread is great.

Sad to admit it, but yes CUVs have taken over. I was admiring Escapes and CRVs the other day.
Will

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2017, 07:06:24 PM
That almost never works out well, esp. if the desire compels consumer debt to get those nice things.

Debt for toys is a no no. Debt for investment can increase your ROE if done smartly. There is always a certain level of risk of course. Different people tolerate different levels of risk.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 06:51:28 PM

It's poseur, P-O-S-E-U-R.

Secondly yes it has a manual. Decent number of reviews were out at the time.

I'm not claiming there isn't a single fun road in the state. I'm saying the vast majority of my normal driving yields little to no opportunity for aggressive or spirited driving.  Sure there are tracks. I've never tracked my car, never claimed otherwise and never declared an intention to track it when I bought it.  If after 3 years of ownership you don't use something to its potential, IME it's not likely that's gonna change.  Happens all the time esp with stuff related to hobbies. A few years ago I bought a DSLR, never got into photography, and sold it. Sometimes I'll buy a gun I intend to shoot, never end up shooting it, if I'm not too lazy I'll sell it. No big deal, life is too short to feign interest in things because you already bought all the gear.

The very title of this thread admits to being an unthusiast.  If I'm freely calling myself an unthusiast, by definition I can't really be called a poseur can I?  After you master the spelling you can work on using the name correctly.

I'm going to let you in on another secret regarding personal finance:  a million dollars isn't really a lot of money. I mean, it is and it isn't. It is in the sense that saving a million dollars takes time. But using the safe withdrawal assumptions I use, $1 million provides a measly $30k/year in sustainable retirement living expenses. $30k/year isn't a lot of money.  $60k/yr is better but still not a lot. My end goal was never to have a million dollars and then spend like a lottery winner, it's keep saving and get to five or six million, or more, plus a paid off house, by as young an age as reasonably possible. I'm not there yet, and if I have a $70k (new, or $50k or whatever kbb) depreciating toy sitting in my driveway that I'm not deriving value from, I'm going to sell it.  That that somehow bothers you, is fucking weird.  That you think a car determines whether or not a person is lame, means you're a dullard, a lemming, a ... well it makes you lame as shit.

5M sounds right. Here I can probably mamage with 4 as a target. 1M really isnt that much money anymore.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 05, 2017, 10:53:36 PM
Debt for toys is a no no. Debt for investment can increase your ROE if done smartly. There is always a certain level of risk of course. Different people tolerate different levels of risk.

Don't you make payments on a number of your cars?

r0tor

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 06, 2017, 05:22:13 AM

I wouldn't need to finance your car FYI

I'm indifferent to how it's financed man I just don't want to see you miss out on this deal. What will the kids think of you?