A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Your significant other drives a lot (25,000 miles/year I believe you said).  Even with the 4Runner being a Toyota, it's most probably going to start requiring more and more expensive maintenance at shorter intervals given the car already has close to 100,000 miles on it.  CRV is great choice for her to use as a daily driver. 

I'd dump the Bimmer since you're not enjoying it and start driving the 4Runner. 

Basically everything exactly as you said.  I wouldn't entertain any luxury brand because you're currently in a value mode state of mind which is incongruent with a luxury brand purchase. 

In a year or so if you miss seeing the tail lights of your Bimmer every time you open your garage, dump the 4 runner at that time and get a more sporty car.  You don't know what your state of mind will be at that time, so just play it by ear. 

shp4man

Crewcab pickup? Not a truck guy? You can see over traffic and toss all kinds of shit in the back.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on September 06, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
Crewcab pickup? Not a truck guy? You can see over traffic and toss all kinds of shit in the back.

Yeah, let's cram 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs inside a pickup truck.  Sounds like a blast.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 06, 2017, 12:19:25 AM
Don't you make payments on a number of your cars?

The X5 is a 3-yr lease (with a leasing company that we own as part of our group). The GT4 is a 1/3rd lease (same case). All the others are paid for.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: shp4man on September 06, 2017, 08:57:01 AM

Too long to fit in garage and generally not worth it - I prefer SUVs to pickups as I like the cargo area enclosed (as just mentioned - dogs). If I were ever to get something big it would be Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban family but am hoping to avoid getting something in that size or price class even when the 4Runner is eventually replaced. If we need something that size for say a once a year vacation, I can rent it.

4Runner barely fits in our garage fwiw, and I like to garage my vehicles so that's a fairly hard size limit.  I'm hoping there's a 6th gen 4runner coming and ideally just a hair bigger than the current one, or they package it to squeeze out a little more interior space in similar sized vehicle.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 06, 2017, 08:58:48 AM
Yeah, let's cram 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs inside a pickup truck.  Sounds like a blast.

Crewcab trucks are pretty roomy inside.  Put a shell on it and put the dogs back there. Plus the kids bikes, toys, cooler full of beer, etc.  ;)

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on September 06, 2017, 09:16:00 AM
Crewcab trucks are pretty roomy inside.  Put a shell on it and put the dogs back there. Plus the kids bikes, toys, cooler full of beer, etc.  ;)

At that point, I think a Suburban would be a better choice.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on September 06, 2017, 09:12:57 AM

Too long to fit in garage and generally not worth it - I prefer SUVs to pickups as I like the cargo area enclosed (as just mentioned - dogs). If I were ever to get something big it would be Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban family but am hoping to avoid getting something in that size or price class even when the 4Runner is eventually replaced. If we need something that size for say a once a year vacation, I can rent it.

4Runner barely fits in our garage fwiw, and I like to garage my vehicles so that's a fairly hard size limit.  I'm hoping there's a 6th gen 4runner coming and ideally just a hair bigger than the current one, or they package it to squeeze out a little more interior space in similar sized vehicle.

I think it comes out in 2021 or 2022.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: shp4man on September 06, 2017, 09:16:00 AM

A pickup truck with a shell, you've just described the last thing on earth I would buy.

Lebowski

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on September 06, 2017, 10:57:03 AM

Really?  That's a long time between generations.

Be glad.  That's what makes them reliable.  My (2nd) generation Tacoma was produced from 2005 to 2014.

shp4man

Quote from: Lebowski on September 06, 2017, 10:53:23 AM

A pickup truck with a shell, you've just described the last thing on earth I would buy.

:lol: Ha, ya, didn't figure you for a pickup guy.

ifcar

I wouldn't count on greatly improved space efficiency in a new 4Runner, unfortunately. It's already pretty impressive for its size, given that it's an actual SUV instead of just a tall station wagon.

12,000 RPM

Yea, garage space is key. I've had to re-arrange a lot in the garage to get the G and MKX to fit. We could not do a 3 row crossover or minivan for that alone.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2017, 12:54:09 PM

I wouldn't count on greatly improved space efficiency in a new 4Runner, unfortunately. It's already pretty impressive for its size, given that it's an actual SUV instead of just a tall station wagon.

Yeah, who knows. Each one has gotten successively bigger (like everything else on the road), I imagine 6th gen will continue that.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Didn't go through all the posts, but have you checked out the new VW Atlas? Checked it out at the local mall, and it's stunning. Beautiful interior with lots of room, and you get a lot for the money.

http://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/atlas

Payman

Personally I wouldn't go with the beige interior, but this shows how roomy and upscale it is...

12,000 RPM

I feel like it's more practical than the CX-9 too. V6 would be nice as well.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Atlas is bigger than we need since we have the 4Runner and looks like comes to ~$40k+ well equipped.  VW another manufacturer I'd be dubious of for the mileage she'll be putting on it.

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 06, 2017, 01:07:45 PM

Yea, garage space is key. I've had to re-arrange a lot in the garage to get the G and MKX to fit. We could not do a 3 row crossover or minivan for that alone.

Every house I've lived in her has had a small garage, ironically this is by far the newest house I've owned (built 1996) yet I believe has the smallest or close to smallest garage. Garage in this house is terrible, it's a 2 car but a small one. 

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

I like the XC60 and XC90. Don't think I want to spend that much tho. She's not a fan of Volvo styling not sure if that extends to their SUVs.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on September 07, 2017, 02:02:37 PM

Every house I've lived in her has had a small garage, ironically this is by far the newest house I've owned (built 1996) yet I believe has the smallest or close to smallest garage. Garage in this house is terrible, it's a 2 car but a small one. 

We want house pictures.  It must be cooler than your last house or we're going to mock you.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on September 07, 2017, 03:14:47 PM
We want house pictures.  It must be cooler than your last house or we're going to mock you.
Better get them quick.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on September 07, 2017, 03:14:47 PM

Ha, it's better laid out and nicer on the inside but not cooler.

shp4man

Oh ya, forgot to mention. Pickups can plow through deeper water that those little car/trucks.... :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Lebowski on September 07, 2017, 02:02:37 PM

So sad.

Something about military says "big garages" cuz the garages are all built plenty long for my minivan and I've even seen Expeditions garaged.
Will