A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

mzziaz

I understand very well the rationale for your decision. People do spend too too much on cars (maybe not applicable to you), and there is often a lot of non rational factors driving the buying decision.
However, I find the newest iteration of the CR-V to be so damn ugly, that I'm not sure I could live with it.

I'd probably get a VW product in your situation, but if that is out of the question, have you checked out Kia/Hyundai?
Even the Nissan X-Trail, or whatever it is called over there, looks pretty decent.

Cuore Sportivo

TBR

SUVs weren't really popular until about late 1990s, I think that's probably when garages ballooned. My parents (built in 2013 I think) fit my dad's old supercab long bed F150 comfortably.

Lebowski

Quote from: mzziaz on September 09, 2017, 12:22:21 AM

I understand very well the rationale for your decision. People do spend too too much on cars (maybe not applicable to you), and there is often a lot of non rational factors driving the buying decision.
However, I find the newest iteration of the CR-V to be so damn ugly, that I'm not sure I could live with it.

I'd probably get a VW product in your situation, but if that is out of the question, have you checked out Kia/Hyundai?
Even the Nissan X-Trail, or whatever it is called over there, looks pretty decent.

It's certainly not a great looking car I'll give you that, though IMO this generation is an improvement on last gen, and it's fairly inoffensive from most angles.  Thing is nothing in this class is a great looker, and it seems on objective measures the CRV is pretty much best in class esp taking into account value.

Some of the newer Hyundais do look pretty good. Most of the VW I don't think look great (esp the atlas which is ugly IMO), the Touareg I like the looks of but it's a class or two up from where we're looking. Also I'm dubious of VW quality/reliability.

mzziaz

I guess the CRV is pretty competitive.

Are the domestics out of the question, too?
Cuore Sportivo

Lebowski

The escape I like the looks of ok but the reviews for it are pretty meh. It's more dated than the CRV and CX-5, too. None of the GMs really interest me. Maybe I'm off base but for a vehicle we'd likely own for 100k+ miles I have the highest level of trust in Toyota and Honda.

Cookie Monster

The interior of the CRV is pretty nice and the orange is a nice color FWIW. My cousin has one.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

TBR

The Escape is a really nice drive, but it isn't very roomy, especially compared to the CR-V.

My mother has a 2012 CR-V (first year of the prev gen) that has been a very good car for them. Great mileage and super reliable.

100% understand the mindset. It's been my "struggle" ever since I got a real income. At least 95% of the time, my car is either sitting in a parking spot or crawling along congested city streets / freeways. Another 4% is at constant speed on the highway and then you're left with 1% of the time actually being a situation where it even matters. Not really worth investing so much money for that 1% (and, let's be honest, it's probably not even 1%). I couldn't see myself in a CR-V (a bit to soccer mom) and the Rav4 is shit, but I do like the idea of a Forester XT or Escape Ecoboost (I also like the look of the Sportage, but I assume it's not a very good car), especially since I am moving to Colorado (my Outback struggled mightily in the mountains).

Lebowski

It definitely is soccer mom-ish but don't forget she'd be the one daily driving it, and she is a soccer mom. I'd daily drive the 4Runner which I'm 100% ok with. I'm sure we'd occasionally trade when she needs extra space and I'd be fine with that too.

TBR

Quote from: Lebowski on September 09, 2017, 08:38:34 AM
It definitely is soccer mom-ish but don't forget she'd be the one daily driving it, and she is a soccer mom. I'd daily drive the 4Runner which I'm 100% ok with. I'm sure we'd occasionally trade when she needs extra space and I'd be fine with that too.

That makes perfect sense, was talking about for myself. It is pretty clearly the best car in the class, just isn't for me.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Lebowski

Yeah, yesterday I watched the edmunds comparo of the equinox vs CRV on YouTube.  Equinox msrp pushing $40k, ~20% less interior space, plus I hate to say it most chevys just look cheap to me. Hard to see myself ever buying a Chevy that isn't a Corvette, a Tahoe, or a Silverado, and I'm obviously not in the market for any of those vehicle classes.

68_427

Quote from: mzziaz on September 09, 2017, 11:42:03 AM
Chevrolet Equinox/Buick Enclave are new this year.

The Buick Envision would be a bit closer to the size he's looking for.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Also the optional 19" wheels on the CR-V are a must. 

Much better looking than the standard wheels.
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Yeah, those are much better. They're also like a $2200 or something option which seems like a ripoff.

12,000 RPM

I would def go aftermarket for wheels on the CR-V.... they are all really ugly; Honda has been on an ugly wheel streak lately.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Lebowski on September 09, 2017, 12:57:40 PM
Yeah, those are much better. They're also like a $2200 or something option which seems like a ripoff.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could go really nice aftermarket for less probably?
Will

CALL_911

Ha, we were driving somewhere today and my girlfriend saw a new CRV and commented on how nice it looks.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 10, 2017, 02:38:41 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could go really nice aftermarket for less probably?

Replicas of these wheels are like $150 each

Also $2k for optional 19" wheels isn't that much when you factor in OEM quality wheels and 19" tires
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Will

veeman

Yeah but you're still spending $2200 over what you would be spending if you didn't get the nicer wheel/tire combo.  It's like buying a car which didn't come with any wheels/tires. 

Not saying I wouldn't do it though.  But I wouldn't look at it as a good deal.  I spent @$2000 for the old school classic looking VW Beetle wheels and when I asked what about the original wheels which came with the car; don't I get anything for having you (the dealership) keep them.  So the salesman came back after speaker with the manager and said he could offer me $100 for them.  So I took it :(

Lebowski

Yeah, ~$2k+ incremental over the EX/Touring 18" OEM wheels w/ tires seems like not a very good deal to me.  I feel like it should be a ~$500 option.

Cookie Monster

What's their incentive to do that? $500 doesn't even cover tires.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 11, 2017, 09:57:59 AM

But it's a swap. The cost should be the difference between the wheels/tires, not the total cost of the optional wheels/tires.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 11, 2017, 09:57:59 AM

Seems like playing around with online configurators of different cars, lots of car makers give you a wheel option for a lot less than that. As has been said it's an incremental option ... I think in Hondas case wheels are treated as more of a dealer installed option rather than a factory option, hence the higher price diff?

Cookie Monster

Oh, you don't get both sets at that price?

Yeah that's overpriced then.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Just buy some Accord sport wheels.  I'm sure you'll find some people who buy a new Accord and immediately put aftermarket wheels on.  You should be able to find most OEM wheels from Honda pretty cheap.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Or do nothing regarding the tires/wheels.  The limited model standard 18" alloys look fine IMHO. The car is for your significant other to use as a daily driver anyways  :lol: and I get the feeling she doesn't care too much.   

GoCougs

OEM upgrade wheels can very expensive IME. Definitely check eBay for sales history.

I went through the ringer a bit on the G. In hindsight I should have held out for a G with the OEM wheels I wanted. The other cock block I learned is many OEM wheels have a finish that is impossible to replicate by aftermarket wheel restorers (which is the case wit the G's 18" OEM split spoke wheels).

FoMoJo

I don't think that he/she cares that much about wheels.  Colour, maybe.  Looks good in red.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."