A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

12,000 RPM

He's a millionaire. He should get Volks or HREs. His lady deserves nothing less for her soccer mom runs.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

:lol:  $8,000 wheels on a $30,000 car.  I don't think Lebowski is about that hood rich life.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

Generally, speaking, I don't buy and have no interest in aftermarket wheels, they only very rarely look good IMO.

I think as mentioned if we were to change them a set of better looking Honda OEM wheels from someone who wants aftermarket and is selling OEM almost new. I've seen some of the trail/TRD wheels for the 4Runner at pretty good prices, thought about getting them when it needed tires but she opted to just stick w/ the 20" Limited "pizza cutters".

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Lebowski

For my favorite stalker Gougs, looked up original purchase price, like I said I'm sure he has this in his extensive Lebowski file ...

MSRP was $75,975, paid $72,205

2015 M3, alpine white, manual, full leather, executive package, lighting package (ripoff), adaptive suspension, 19" wheels ($1100 option over the standard 18" fwiw, and I'm sure a much more expensive wheel and tire than Hondas optional wheels), power sunshade, side/top cams, Harmon Kardon sound, includes destination etc but not sales tax.

KBB private party 17k miles at "very good" condition $54,858.  Looking at listings on the bimmerpost forum seems like like low-mid $50s asking about right. I'd be pretty happy with that range, "eating" ~$20k depreciation on a car like this over 3 years seems not too terrible, not something I want to do every 3 years but I normally keep cars much longer than that and again I mentally depreciate cars to zero the day I buy them so any cash I get out of this move is gravy.

Was at dinner w/ a very stereotypical consumerish, keeping up w/ the joneses type couple the other night. Husband works for edmunds (not sure what he does there).  Mentioned what we were thinking about. He actually totally agreed with selling the M3 for the same reasons, likes it but so little opportunity for fun driving around here. But their reaction to replacing with something like a CRV was priceless, they were appalled. "What?  You CANNOT LET HER DRIVE THAT!!!!"  You'd think we told them I was making her live in a shed in the backyard.  Great, and if anything reaffirms the decision.

MrH

:lol:

The gap between luxury brands and the mainstream ones is so small anymore.  I don't know how you justify doubling the price when they're this close.  Is a Lexus RX double the vehicle a loaded CRV is?  No, not at all.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

That's the thing, mainstream cars these days are really, really nice, with many "luxury" features often either standard or included with the upper trim levels. Leather, LED headlights, heated seats, apple CarPlay, decent sound system, good seats, USB chargers everywhere etc. all included in the $31k Touring trim.

There are some exceptions, like an enthusiast buying a fun car that he gets value out of, but 99% of luxury car sales are image driven.  I/we don't define ourselves by our stuff. LamedadSpin!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 14, 2017, 09:36:37 AM

The gap between luxury brands and the mainstream ones is so small anymore.  I don't know how you justify doubling the price when they're this close.  Is a Lexus RX double the vehicle a loaded CRV is?  No, not at all.

+1

That's why my mom was happy to get a $19k Cruze. Compared to her old car, it's loaded to the gills. (Bluetooth, backup camera, etc)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Luxury brands are all fucked up. The two things that matter most in luxury- design and separation from the mainstream- have largely fallen by the wayside. Audis and BMWs are downright boring; Lexus is hideous. The interiors of the compact Bimmers and Jags are not befitting of cars that can reach $70-80K. The place manufacturers have put all their focus on- tech- doesn't matter to consumers. And tech is constantly democratizing- all that adaptive cruise control shit is standard on Civics now I think. Until luxury companies get back to what really matters they're gonna keep losing. Stories like Lebowski's are probably a lot more common place than we think- the fact that someone who can afford a $70K car sees nothing worth buying at that price over a 4Runner is pretty fucking sad.

Lebowski

Majority of people are always going to shop by payment and are always gonna drive "as much car" as they can afford.  We are psychologically wired for it.

Also image isn't just about impressing other people it's about fitting our own image of ourselves. A dude who considers himself a successful businessman, a doctor etc is gonna drive what they believe fits that role.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2017, 10:59:48 AM
Luxury brands are all fucked up. The two things that matter most in luxury- design and separation from the mainstream- have largely fallen by the wayside. Audis and BMWs are downright boring; Lexus is hideous. The interiors of the compact Bimmers and Jags are not befitting of cars that can reach $70-80K. The place manufacturers have put all their focus on- tech- doesn't matter to consumers. And tech is constantly democratizing- all that adaptive cruise control shit is standard on Civics now I think. Until luxury companies get back to what really matters they're gonna keep losing. Stories like Lebowski's are probably a lot more common place than we think- the fact that someone who can afford a $70K car sees nothing worth buying at that price over a 4Runner is pretty fucking sad.

All the cool tech is actually coming to the mainstreamers first now!  It's wild.  It used to all start in the S-class, and kind of work their way down to the mainstream cars.  Now, the market is so competitive, and things like the Accord is so critical to the success of Honda, it actually has newer and more advanced stuff than Acura.

The new Accord is going to be such a better car than anything Acura makes.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on September 14, 2017, 09:31:14 AM
For my favorite stalker Gougs, looked up original purchase price, like I said I'm sure he has this in his extensive Lebowski file ...

MSRP was $75,975, paid $72,205

2015 M3, alpine white, manual, full leather, executive package, lighting package (ripoff), adaptive suspension, 19" wheels ($1100 option over the standard 18" fwiw, and I'm sure a much more expensive wheel and tire than Hondas optional wheels), power sunshade, side/top cams, Harmon Kardon sound, includes destination etc but not sales tax.

KBB private party 17k miles at "very good" condition $54,858.  Looking at listings on the bimmerpost forum seems like like low-mid $50s asking about right. I'd be pretty happy with that range, "eating" ~$20k depreciation on a car like this over 3 years seems not too terrible, not something I want to do every 3 years but I normally keep cars much longer than that and again I mentally depreciate cars to zero the day I buy them so any cash I get out of this move is gravy.

Was at dinner w/ a very stereotypical consumerish, keeping up w/ the joneses type couple the other night. Husband works for edmunds (not sure what he does there).  Mentioned what we were thinking about. He actually totally agreed with selling the M3 for the same reasons, likes it but so little opportunity for fun driving around here. But their reaction to replacing with something like a CRV was priceless, they were appalled. "What?  You CANNOT LET HER DRIVE THAT!!!!"  You'd think we told them I was making her live in a shed in the backyard.  Great, and if anything reaffirms the decision.

There is so much deliciousness buried in this post.

Don't hate them. This "couple" was probably in a not-well-thought-out/tactless way trying to get at the nature of "your" financial decline.

Lebowski

Oh I don't hate them or resent the comment one bit, makes me laugh.

shp4man

The latest generation of driving age young people don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for cars as the previous generation. Or maybe the same priorities, or sense of a vehicle being a social statement. Many of them see cars as more of an appliance, like a washing machine or a refrigerator.

GoCougs

I've been saying this for quite some. The shift started to happen in the late '90s. My theory is it can be chalked up to improved manufacturing, design methods and supply chain (which also exploded at that time) - it's simply cheaper/easier to offer "luxury" these days. A classic examples is that in the '50s, electric windows and AC were super luxury options whereas these are available standard on pretty much all vehicles today.

Luxury cars have always been sorta terrible and have always had a dubious value proposition. These days, WtP and enthusiasts have a 24/7 news feed into all models at all times, and reminded of this fact. In times prior, limited ability into the craft added to the enigma of "luxury" cars.

MexicoCityM3

This thread is so very nice and rational. Meanwhile:

"Munich. August saw a new record achieved in BMW Group sales with deliveries in the month totalling 169,913 worldwide, a 2.7% increase year-on-year. The company also sold more vehicles than ever before in the first eight months of the year, with a total of 1,571,467 (+4.2%) vehicles delivered to customers around the world."

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422212

Also, I move to rename the forum. I like it here but a car enthusiast forum, it is not.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on September 14, 2017, 11:43:30 AM
The latest generation of driving age young people don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for cars as the previous generation. Or maybe the same priorities, or sense of a vehicle being a social statement. Many of them see cars as more of an appliance, like a washing machine or a refrigerator.
None of this is true. Most people have always viewed cars as nothing but conveyance appliances with a splash of status. And young people are definitely into cars (google Grid Life).

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM

"Munich. August saw a new record achieved in BMW Group sales with deliveries in the month totalling 169,913 worldwide, a 2.7% increase year-on-year. The company also sold more vehicles than ever before in the first eight months of the year, with a total of 1,571,467 (+4.2%) vehicles delivered to customers around the world."

Also, I move to rename the forum. I like it here but a car enthusiast forum, it is not.
If by "enthusiast" you mean "blind brand fanbois" then yes you are absolutely right, this forum is not for that and it never has been.

And Toyota Motor Company is up nearly 7% this month y-o-y.... and they sell a lot of cars... BMW is in great company :ohyeah:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2017, 12:02:42 PM
None of this is true. Most people have always viewed cars as nothing but conveyance appliances with a splash of status. And young people are definitely into cars (google Grid Life).
If by "enthusiast" you mean "blind brand fanbois" then yes you are absolutely right, this forum is not for that and it never has been.

And Toyota Motor Company is up nearly 7% this month y-o-y.... and they sell a lot of cars... BMW is in great company :ohyeah:

You can say whatever you want. A CR-V wouldn't ever be the recommendation of an enthusiast forum. The end.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 12:05:29 PM
You can say whatever you want. A CR-V wouldn't ever be the recommendation of an enthusiast forum. The end.
"The CR-V fits your wants and needs perfectly for the least amount of money and hassle, but because I am a contractually obligated fanboi I am compelled to recommend an X1 or X3 that don't really make sense for you"

Yea, if that's what being an "enthusiast" is about then maybe they're not worth getting "advice" from in the first place. Your only reasoning to not get the CR-V is that you are too insecure to be seen in one :lol:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2017, 12:09:17 PM
"The CR-V fits your wants and needs perfectly for the least amount of money and hassle, but because I am a contractually obligated fanboi I am compelled to recommend an X1 or X3 that don't really make sense for you"

Yea, if that's what being an "enthusiast" is about then maybe they're not worth getting "advice" from in the first place. Your only reasoning to not get the CR-V is that you are too insecure to be seen in one :lol:

Really. We're getting this personal? I'll withhold the obvious reply to that last part.

Again. No car enthusiast forum would ever recommend a trade of an M3 for a CR-V. "Enthusiast" implies emotion. Emotion implies some level of irrationality, of wants over needs, of pleasure over reason, of short-term over long-term.

Then again, this would perfectly match the consumer reports forums (I guess).

FFS, Lebowski himself admits as much in his thread title. Only you, the king of rationalization, can defend this as an "enthusiastic" advice.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

giant_mtb

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 12:05:29 PM

Being an enthusiast doesn't mean being narrow-minded.  :nutty:

MrH

I agree with Hector actually.  This is the right decision, but it's not an enthusiast decision.  Lebowski, please hand over your enthusiast card to r0tor when he buys your M3.  :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

There might be twice as many screws holding the Lexus together.

Damn I'm a Lexus fanboi now
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM

Honestly I expected to get ripped when I started this thread :lol:

I'd point out though that this isn't really a car forum. It's a general talk forum w/ a bunch of guys who have cars as a common interest. I still like cars but I'm way less into cars than I was 10+ years ago when I came here.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 12:17:26 PM
Really. We're getting this personal? I'll withhold the obvious reply to that last part.

Again. No car enthusiast forum would ever recommend a trade of an M3 for a CR-V. "Enthusiast" implies emotion. Emotion implies some level of irrationality, of wants over needs, of pleasure over reason, of short-term over long-term.

Then again, this would perfectly match the consumer reports forums (I guess).

FFS, Lebowski himself admits as much in his thread title. Only you, the king of rationalization, can defend this as an "enthusiastic" advice.
I don't think a car enthusiast forum would suggest the downright absurd... if anything Lebowski is making the enthusiast's choice and letting his M3 go to somebody who can actually use and appreciate it in the way it should be. Being an enthusiast doesn't mean you have to completely stop making any sense, and as always I still question the value of being an enthusiast when presented with "advice" like yours and r0tor's.