A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 16, 2017, 07:12:30 AM

Lebowski maybe take the wife to test drive some of the luxury options suggested? Maybe a test drive would make it "worth it" to her.

With that in mind: new Cayenne. I'd suggest Macan but too small.

Thing is, given her mileage ... even if she loved them on a test drive is a Jaguar, Land Rover, or Porsche something I want to own for 100k-150k miles?  Don't think it is, don't think a test drive is gonna convince me otherwise.

In the past, as a single guy I consistently drove < 10k miles/yr, and my car purchases reflected that. I think I'm fine with a BMW, jag, Land Rover etc that's gonna see 6-7k miles a year, it'd be under warranty most of the time I'd own it in that case and even after 6-7 years it'd have under 50k miles. I'm not wild about owning these brands for a driver that does 20-25k miles/yr.  4-5 years it'll have 100k miles, I ideally (and historically, w/ the exception of the M3 if we sell it) keep cars 6+ years.  Buy an F-Pace with the intention of keeping for 150k miles?  No thanks.

Also, wasn't really gonna go here but from an image standpoint ... She owns a yoga studio, I think pulling up in a Range Rover isn't exactly what she's going for. CRV is boring but in many ways low-key is desireable. Yeah, something low key but somewhat more interesting than a CUV (GTI?  Volvo wagon?) would be nice but she doesn't want a hatch or a wagon, doesn't really like Volvo etc.  Its too bad Toyota doesn't make a smaller SUV that I/we like as much as the 4Runner or Tacoma, as I said the RAV4 we were unimpressed with, the highlander isn't much less boring than a CRV and is bigger than we need etc.

2o6

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 15, 2017, 08:02:57 PM

On the contrary, the decision was evident on the first page. This kind of live, interactive, infinitely uninentionally self-depricating entertainment... invaluable.

Probably, but it's still nice/helpful to have a sounding board. With the exception of one loudmouth, the comments in this thread have been very helpful to me, even if it's just confirming what I was already thinking.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 15, 2017, 08:00:21 PM

Behind backseat space was your specific concern. 10 carryons capacity back there should suffice, so you can sleep tonight.

Takeaway from that link is CRV is class leading for space pretty much across the board. Compared to the CX-5, it fits more carry-ons with seats down. It has more volume with seats up and down (sorry, volume matters and Honda didn't redefine it). It has more height (good for dogs, good for large or awkward shaped items). It has a larger opening (good for large or awkward sized items). It has a more roomy and comfortable back seat. It has a flatter floor for back seat passengers.  We looked at both back to back, wanted to like the CX-5, the CRV clearly has more space. It's no contest.

Your concern is flattering, if bizarre. You're wrong and your contribution to this thread has been less than worthless.

If cargo volume is your main concern, it's pointless to be looking at compact SUVs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 16, 2017, 07:36:47 AM
If cargo volume is your main concern, it's pointless to be looking at compact SUVs

I didn't say it was the "main concern", it's one factor out of many and yes small crossovers/SUVs is where we are focusing.

Why is the loudest voice always the least intelligent?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on September 16, 2017, 07:44:03 AM

I didn't say it was the main concern, it's one factor out of many and yes compact SUVs is where we are looking.

Pointless. Not enough cargo space. You should be looking at box vans.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

I didn't say it was the "main concern", it's one factor out of many and yes small crossovers/SUVs is where we are focusing.

How many have you driven?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 16, 2017, 07:52:31 AM

How many have you driven?

Not that many. CRV CX-5 and RAV4. Been in a number of the others at one point or another, read reviews / watched YouTube reviews on most everything in the class or similar.

12,000 RPM

Can Raza or MCM explain to me what bad things will happen if Lebowski buys a CR-V over some unreliable cramped fast depreciating luxury car? You guys are damn near in a full on panic :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Why is the loudest voice always the least intelligent?

Probably because everyone else already agrees with you and doesn't have to say so at high volume.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Lebowski on September 16, 2017, 08:43:42 AM

Not that many. CRV CX-5 and RAV4. Been in a number of the others at one point or another, read reviews / watched YouTube reviews on most everything in the class or similar.
Are you not interested in any domestics? 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Man, Lebowski's about to file for bankruptcy and you guys are all recommending all these expensive choices....
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2017, 08:56:27 AM
Can Raza or MCM explain to me what bad things will happen if Lebowski buys a CR-V over some unreliable cramped fast depreciating luxury car? You guys are damn near in a full on panic :lol:

Big bada boom.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

I assume they're not being completely serious

Raza

Huh?  I haven't even read the thread.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

As much fun as the trollololololololing is, I will finally get to the point...

Lets observe this situation...

1) Free-will car ownership of Corvette -> M3 -> used 4Runner / CRV.... suspicious

2) Currently, things seem to be OK with whats in the garage as you have repeatedly proclaimed the benefits of only having 2 cars in other threads.  4 Runner is high mileage and worried about unreliability.  M3 is basically new.  We start a thread about keeping the high mileage vehicle and selling the basically new vehicle.    Again, suspicious.

3) Being stressed out enough about finances that you are looking to make a fairly drastic change of course in car ownership... when if fact your net worth should be changing more on a day to day basis based off of small 1-2% movements in the daily stock price then we are talking about with the whole M3 cost savings measure.  This is beyond suspicious.

4)  You are hell bent on limiting yourself to non-lux compact SUVs.  You are then even further hell bent on limiting yourself to the most spacious of compact SUVs - which pretty much gives you only 1 choice.  Moving up to a mid sized SUV would give you more buying options, more *usuable* space, higher build quality (as the compact class is universally based off of econoboxes), and better ride all for a modest bump in price.  This is completely irrational.

5)  Your worried about cargo volume so much, yet your dogs are going to need cargo area to fit their asses in.... minor indication of poor planning.

I don't *really* know what is going on here, but this much lack of rationality indicates there is without a doubt WAY more to this whole situation... and therefore all suggestions are worthless without knowing the actual story.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Well that settles it Lebowski. Give us the login to your Mint account so we can verify your financial solvency. That's the only way to settle this.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 16, 2017, 10:53:08 AM

I'd like to think for your sake you've been trolling, I don't think that's the case.

1) Free-will car ownership of Corvette -> M3 -> used 4Runner / CRV.... suspicious

Ok Gougs.  If saving money and buying what fits your need, rather than buying 5x what suits your needs, is "suspicious" to you, what sort of consumerist lemming does that make you?

4runner is a one owner car and only "used" by us.  Keeping an existing car and you're like "OMG you're driving a USED car!!??".  You're an idiot.

2) Currently, things seem to be OK with whats in the garage as you have repeatedly proclaimed the benefits of only having 2 cars in other threads.  4 Runner is high mileage and worried about unreliability.  M3 is basically new.  We start a thread about keeping the high mileage vehicle and selling the basically new vehicle.    Again, suspicious.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.  I like the 4runner, she likes the 4runner, and we have no concerns whatsoever about "unreliability".  You're obsessed with selling the 4runner - we're not considering selling it.  If for some reason I were forced to replace the 4runner right now  (i.e. it were totaled in an accident) its most likely replacement would be ... another 4runner.  Replacing a perfectly reliable vehicle that we both like w/ another of the same generation, just because, would be pointless.

Yes, I like having 2 cars for 2 drivers and whatever we do will remain a 2 car household for the foreseeable future, until such point we are a 3 driver household.

3) Being stressed out enough about finances that you are looking to make a fairly drastic change of course in car ownership... when if fact your net worth should be changing more on a day to day basis based off of small 1-2% movements in the daily stock price then we are talking about with the whole M3 cost savings measure.  This is beyond suspicious.

Lol you're a drama queen.  I'm not remotely stressed about finances and selling a car I've owned for 3 years and don't enjoy is not "drastic" it's perfectly normal, as is buying a CUV after having a child.  I/we live far below our means, we have specific financial goals that don't include driving a certain kind of car, and we are intentional w/ our spending, that means spending money on things we get value out of.  Right now, commuting 1 mile on a brick street in a high performance car seems pointless.  Sitting in traffic in a high performance car seems pointless.  I'd rather have 2 practical cars that aren't high maintenance and generally not feel like I have to baby either of them.  That it potentially puts some cash in our pockets is pure gravy.

4)  You are hell bent on limiting yourself to non-lux compact SUVs. 

No I'm not :huh:

I've said consistently since the first post since the CRV fits our needs at $31k, anything costing significantly more than that needs to offer objective value/utility commensurate with its incremental cost.  A badge doesn't do that.  In 14 pages I haven't seen a single post that convincingly makes the case for a luxury suv/cuv.  Most who have posted here haven't even tried to make that argument, as they recognize none of the luxury models make objective sense.  Most who have suggested such cars have basically admitted "yeah but you don't get anything better with x, other than maybe better styling".  Luxury cars are all about the badge, and I don't care about the badge. 

You are then even further hell bent on limiting yourself to the most spacious of compact SUVs

Not sure what this even means. Of course in this class interior space is a factor. It's not the only factor, but getting enough space for her ideally in a fairly small/compact exterior package that fits her/our other needs (value, efficiency, practicality, comfort, features, and whatever else she decides she wants which includes having an SUV over say a wagon which would be the direction I'd go if this were entirely up to me) is certainly a requirement.

- which pretty much gives you only 1 choice.  Moving up to a mid sized SUV would give you more buying options, more *usuable* space, higher build quality (as the compact class is universally based off of econoboxes), and better ride all for a modest bump in price.  This is completely irrational.

I'm not totally against going up a size.  If that's what she wants, I'm fine with that.  You seem to think I should do that because that's what you want, which is fucking weird.

On the way back from testing the CRV and CX-5 we drove past the Toyota dealership, I said "do you want to stop and look at the Highlander?".  She said "not really, I don't think we need something that size".

Going up a size costs more, comes with a significantly larger footprint (again and for about the 10th time, we have a tight garage, 4runner barely fits), gets worse gas mileage etc.  If we need it or she wants it fine, but if not I don't see a point.

5)  Your worried about cargo volume so much, yet your dogs are going to need cargo area to fit their asses in.... minor indication of poor planning.

I'm not worried about anything, I'm not stressed about anything.  I can and will buy whatever she wants.  Dogs will fit fine in a CRV sized vehicle.  Fwiw she also doesn't take the dogs with her in the car on a daily basis.

Goal is to buy what fits her needs and not buy something way beyond that.  I have no idea what you mean by "poor planning", unless buying a practical vehicle that fits her needs while saving money is somehow poor planning. 

I don't *really* know what is going on here, but this much lack of rationality indicates there is without a doubt WAY more to this whole situation... and therefore all suggestions are worthless without knowing the actual story.

Buying what you need rather than buying way more than you need is pretty much the definition of rationality.  That you find this irrational says some deeply disturbing things about you not me.

Most consumers go out and buy "as much car" as they can afford, all on a perpetual monthly payment.  That's not me, and has never been me.  Wasn't the case when I bought the C6, the 4runner, the M3, and won't be the case for this next car or the one after that.

I think you've got some serious self esteem / self image issues.  Thinking a car determines whether you're "lame", honestly IMHO makes you an uninteresting loser.  Thinking buying less car than you can afford is "suspicious" makes you an idiot.  Your posts ITT have said volumes about you and frankly none of it is good.  For your own sake, go get some help, stop posting in this thread and stop making a fool of yourself.  You said off the bat you were "trolling" - I don't think you were, I think you're an insecure idiot, and apparently one who's so caught up with image and consumerism that a stranger buying their non-enthusiast significant other less car than they can afford is somehow offensive to you?

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

When I find something really funny, I do a mean Vincent Price laugh. This thread gets one, with appropriate reverb :lol:

The best/worst thing about r0tor is he ALWAYS comes back for more. No matter how bad the thrashing, he has to get the last word in, even if it means making an even bigger fool of himself. I absolutely love it

GoCougs

Lets observe this situation...

4)  You are hell bent on limiting yourself to non-lux compact SUVs.  You are then even further hell bent on limiting yourself to the most spacious of compact SUVs - which pretty much gives you only 1 choice.  Moving up to a mid sized SUV would give you more buying options, more *usuable* space, higher build quality (as the compact class is universally based off of econoboxes), and better ride all for a modest bump in price.  This is completely irrational.

This may come as a surprise to the 'SPIN but I agree with all points, save for #4 (very limited agree); and as has been the case since the dawn of teh Internets, an overly verbose rebuttal is proof positive.

But does it matter? Like you, Lebowski has thoroughly enjoyable Internetry in his own way, and it adds immensely to the 'SPIN. I can't encourage it enough.

Lebowski

Of course you agree - you and Rotor are two sides of the same coin, and very possibly the same person.

Overly verbose rebuttal?  Dude wrote a 5 (numbered!) paragraph diatribe attacking probably the #1 selling vehicle choice for non-enthusiast female buyers ... as a choice intended for a non enthusiast female w/ 2 kids :huh:

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on September 16, 2017, 09:30:41 PM
Of course you agree - you and Rotor are two sides of the same coin, and very possibly the same person.

Overly verbose rebuttal?  Dude wrote a 5 (numbered!) paragraph diatribe attacking probably the #1 selling vehicle choice for non-enthusiast female buyers ... as a choice intended for a non enthusiast female w/ 2 kids :huh:

You put yourself out there and took some (many) bullets. Not many people will do this; most die with their song still in them, and it's a very sad thing. You will eventually be proud for what you're doing ITT, despite that it is tough in the now.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on September 17, 2017, 12:04:58 AM

You put yourself out there and took some (many) bullets. Not many people will do this; most die with their song still in them, and it's a very sad thing. You will eventually be proud for what you're doing ITT, despite that it is tough in the now.

Lol ok.  "Putting myself out there" by talking about buying a practical car?

Of course I'll talk openly here about any car purchase I make, I always have and that's sorta what this place is for.  Don't confuse asking for input here as me thinking your or Rotor's opinion matters.  Of course it's expected the guy who's opinion doesn't count will be insecure about that and in reaction will voice his the loudest, at least it's entertaining. 

Maybe re-read the thread, I've taken zero bullets and take zero offense to anything said.  Maybe even at some point Rotor will reflect back on this thread and learn something.  Maybe he'll figure out what it is that really earns your kids' respect (hint: it ain't a car) before they're too old.  Maybe he'll even figure out what yardsticks of financial success count (hint: it ain't the badge on your car). 

Rich

This would be so much better if Spinners were in a computer lab making responses to this thread
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

We do need to do group chats. Like Google Hangouts and stuff. Me vs MrH, Lebowski vs Cougs/r0tor, dazzleman vs Rupert etc

Everyone has a little beef, we need to clear the air