A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: mzziaz on September 17, 2017, 09:05:14 AM

How about an X1?

Gotta go to to at least an X5 if she's gonna get any of the "prestige" benefits of the badge, come on now you know that.

Lebowski

Yes!  That's more like it. Always gotta be moving up, anything else is "suspicious". Best part is, I'll have to top that again in 3 years when lease is up.

FoMoJo

There is absolutely nothing about any CUV/SUV that would, or should, appeal to any enthusiast.  The only thing that you get for the premium brands is a bit more luxury and a lot of technical crap that you really don't need; as well as badge cred which is the only reason that anyone ever gets a premium brand.

That being said, a CR-V is a very practical vehicle for the purpose defined; don't really know where the weigh-saving gain compared to the other brands is and whether it would have any negative impact.  My preference would be the slightly larger segment with the only practical choice being the Edge, the advantages being a more comfortable ride and better engine choices; the additional interior space being negligible.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

I'm guessing a Sportage is too poverty for a guy thinking about purchasing a Bentley
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

The Sportage's main advantage (horsepower) is irrelevant to Lady Lebowski. Sportage SX would be my pick though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2017, 09:43:20 AM

There is absolutely nothing about any CUV/SUV that would, or should, appeal to any enthusiast. 

My thinking as well which makes it easy to go for the non-premium option as long as it has the features we need.  In a more interesting segment, it's a lot easier to get sucked into creeping upmarket.  With the M3, I figured at the time (correctly IMO) that I would have been better served by a non-M 3 series.  Thing is, by the time I priced/optioned it out a 330i was like $60k+.  What little bit of enthusiast that remained in me couldn't stomach it, and there was a voice saying "just spend the extra ~$10-$12k and get the M".  That voice is either dead or indifferent WRT this CUV decision, which makes not spending more than we need to easy.

Didn't mean to ignore your earlier posts ... I don't have anything against the domestics per se, and I think both GM and Ford have improved their products over the last decade or so.  I don't dislike the appearance of the Escape, but reviews for it seem to place it mid pack and on paper it doesn't stack up that well to the CRV (less space, less mpg, looks like higher MSRP comparably equipped, not sure how that translates to actual transaction prices).  The Chevy's in this space don't really appeal to me.  The Edge is ok, I haven't looked at it in person I think the styling is so-so, as you say I'm not sure it has much usable space advantage vs. a CRV. 

As far as things like overall quality, reliability, and resale value for a mainstream brand, I tend to gravitate more towards Toyota and Honda than the domestics.  Maybe that's an outdated opinion and just my biases but I feel like the overall quality is better w/ the Japanese brands. 

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 17, 2017, 10:12:43 AM

I'm guessing a Sportage is too poverty for a guy thinking about purchasing a Bentley

Sportage sounds too much like Sporty :lol:

Seriously, I think the Koreans have come a long way.  I think we're just barely too snobbish to go that direction but if she wants to look at the Kia or Hyundai offerings I'm not totally against it. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2017, 09:43:20 AM
There is absolutely nothing about any CUV/SUV that would, or should, appeal to any enthusiast.  The only thing that you get for the premium brands is a bit more luxury and a lot of technical crap that you really don't need; as well as badge cred which is the only reason that anyone ever gets a premium brand.

That being said, a CR-V is a very practical vehicle for the purpose defined; don't really know where the weigh-saving gain compared to the other brands is and whether it would have any negative impact.  My preference would be the slightly larger segment with the only practical choice being the Edge, the advantages being a more comfortable ride and better engine choices; the additional interior space being negligible.

Legions of Jeep, Land Rover, and dozens of other vehicle fans would disagree with you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2017, 10:48:04 AM
Legions of Jeep, Land Rover, and dozens of other vehicle fans would disagree with you.
Might be a handful of them that utilize the capabilities.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2017, 10:50:23 AM
Might be a handful of them that utilize the capabilities.

Along with the handful of sports cars drivers that do the same with theirs? Or does that not count for some reason?

Enthusiast means more than "sports car enthusiast," and there are few groups more enthusiastic about their rides than Jeepers. Look at the prices now being demanded for classic trucks, or first generation broncos, or Grand Wagoneers, or FJ40 Land Cruisers. This is not because they are useful appliances.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 05:59:14 AM

Lol ok.  "Putting myself out there" by talking about buying a practical car?

Of course I'll talk openly here about any car purchase I make, I always have and that's sorta what this place is for.  Don't confuse asking for input here as me thinking your or Rotor's opinion matters.  Of course it's expected the guy who's opinion doesn't count will be insecure about that and in reaction will voice his the loudest, at least it's entertaining. 

Maybe re-read the thread, I've taken zero bullets and take zero offense to anything said.  Maybe even at some point Rotor will reflect back on this thread and learn something.  Maybe he'll figure out what it is that really earns your kids' respect (hint: it ain't a car) before they're too old.  Maybe he'll even figure out what yardsticks of financial success count (hint: it ain't the badge on your car). 

Take solice in the fact I will not learn a damn thing about this thread except for the following possible conclusions...

A) your actually in deep financial shit just like the hoards of people I see at C&C who buy something to impress everyone and then suddenly dump the car and disappear
B) you are a completely not even close to caring about cars or driving in general. . The vette and m3 were just "hey look at me I'm cool" purchases which leaves you being an incredibly fake person that came to this website to stroke yourself
C) you are about the cheapest fuck on the face of the planet

My guess it's either a or a combination of b/c... In any event, I have learned nothing of value from your desperate looking actions.  Good luck.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 17, 2017, 06:51:12 AM
We do need to do group chats. Like Google Hangouts and stuff. Me vs MrH, Lebowski vs Cougs/r0tor, dazzleman vs Rupert etc

Everyone has a little beef, we need to clear the air

Our arguments are boring compared to this thread. I don't think we can compete.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

Take solice in the fact I will not learn a damn thing about this thread except for the following possible conclusions...

A) your actually in deep financial shit just like the hoards of people I see at C&C who buy something to impress everyone and then suddenly dump the car and disappear
B) you are a completely not even close to caring about cars or driving in general. . The vette and m3 were just "hey look at me I'm cool" purchases which leaves you being an incredibly fake person that came to this website to stroke yourself
C) you are about the cheapest fuck on the face of the planet

My guess it's either a or a combination of b/c... In any event, I have learned nothing of value from your desperate looking actions.  Good luck.

Oh, trust me if there's one thing I have great confidence in it's your inability to learn.

A, starting a 15 page thread about buying a boring/mainstream CUV isn't really disappearing is it?  I mean, if I had something to be embarrassed of and wanted to "disappear" don't you think I'd find a more discrete way of doing it?  Like, you know, actually disappearing? 

B seems a bit ironic coming from someone who defines his success as a parent by make/model of car.  Plus wouldn't a Chevy and Toyota be strange choices for the "hey look at me" types?  And who goes from "hey look at me!" to "fuck it, let's buy a boring CRV"?  Nah, if I were a hey look at me type I'd be looking at just the choices someone like you would applaud and wouldn't have made my previous vehicle choices to begin with.  I know plenty of people who are the "hey look at me!" types - none of them would ever own a Corvette. 

Further in almost every post where another 'spinner has a "what car should I buy" thread, over my 10+ years posting here I almost always suggest the cheaper and/or more practical or "boring" option, even for people who can clearly "afford" to splurge (i.e. Dave).  If you've paid any attention to my posts here, nothing ITT should strike you as remotely inconsistent w/ my character up to this point.  As obsessed as you w/ this decision, one would think you'd be a little less surprised. 

C, sure if not buying more car than we need makes me cheap as fuck, so be it, I'll wear that badge with pride.  Cheap as fuck sure beats insecure and stupid.  I didn't get to where I am today by being the typical consumerist dumbass, financing luxuries and saving 4% of income.

giant_mtb

What's wrong with being cheap?  A penny saved is a penny earned. :wtf:

12,000 RPM

I'm thinking r0tor is actually the one in deep financial doo doo. He's definitely got the manic stressed out attitude of someone in that position. Combined with his inability to accept defeat or personal responsibility... whew.

But hey, at least his stepson admires his RX-8 :lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 17, 2017, 11:59:46 AM

I'm thinking r0tor is actually the one in deep financial doo doo. He's definitely got the manic stressed out attitude of someone in that position. Combined with his inability to accept defeat or personal responsibility... whew.

But hey, at least his stepson admires his RX-8 :lol:

Very often people project their insecurities onto others.  Rotor's passionate, hostile reaction to a complete stranger making a financially prudent purchase for his non-enthusiast significant other is certainly telling.

Maybe he has an expensive wife?

r0tor

It's really interesting that you cling to these comments about being a parent.  One of the best things about being a parent is being able to pass along things you love.  The best thing about life is enjoying things you are passionate about.  Guess what, I love cars.  I love driving cars.  I love racing.   I love working on them.

My son now enjoys taking rides in my car.   My son enjoys going to Cars and Coffee events.  He sits with my watching F1 races.  He wants to to more Karting races with me.  Guess what - it's fantastic.

I would be damned to trade passing along that passion for trying to pad my back account by 1%.  Again good luck.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 01:14:15 PM

It's really interesting that you cling to these comments about being a parent.  One of the best things about being a parent is being able to pass along things you love.  The best thing about life is enjoying things you are passionate about.  Guess what, I love cars.  I love driving cars.  I love racing.   I love working on them.

My son now enjoys taking rides in my car.   My son enjoys going to Cars and Coffee events.  He sits with my watching F1 races.  He wants to to more Karting races with me.  Guess what - it's fantastic.

I would be damned to trade passing along that passion for trying to pad my back account by 1%.  Again good luck.

I'm confused - you're saying I should force your interests on my kids?  "Sorry kid, I know it isn't very comfortable back there but a stranger on the internet said we need to have an RX-8. Hey, do you think I'm lame?"

You don't need to drive a certain car for your kid to watch F1 or go karting with you.  My kid is 2 months old and doesn't know what that shit is. Our 9 year old isn't into F1 (neither am I) and the car I drive has zero impact on his interests or what we do together.

Parenting came up because you brought it up as manifestation of your insecurities around image and material things.  Specifically WRT how your kids view you. Don't project that pathetic shit on me please.

When I think about what I want to "pass along" to my kids, the badge on my car doesn't come to mind sorry.

shp4man

This thread has been entertaining for sure. All this angst over which little Japanese front wheel drive quasi-station wagon to get the wife. :lol:
I got my wife a new Focus. She doesn't like it much. It has no status value at all.
Hey, whatever works. My advice? Ask her what she wants.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2017, 10:54:34 AM
Along with the handful of sports cars drivers that do the same with theirs? Or does that not count for some reason?

Enthusiast means more than "sports car enthusiast," and there are few groups more enthusiastic about their rides than Jeepers. Look at the prices now being demanded for classic trucks, or first generation broncos, or Grand Wagoneers, or FJ40 Land Cruisers. This is not because they are useful appliances.
There are off-roaders and there are SUV/CUVs.  I'd love to have an old Bronco to run the Baja (in my dreams maybe), but anything from a Cayenne to a CR-V has very little enthusiasm related to that kind of activity.  Same for what are now called "sports cars".  Other than the occasional stop light race (even that doesn't happen any more that I've seen other than just a bunch of horse's asses weaving to and fro in traffic) most of these vehicles are not capable of any competing in anything more stressful than the occasional Gymkhana.  Most are bought for the badge value and are driven by those who are far too status conscious.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 01:14:15 PM
I enjoyed taking rides in my dad's Camry. Why? OK, it was a pretty cool Camry. All-Trac 5 speed, with a CD player- big deal in 1990 (as multiple break ins confirmed). But here is what you're missing in your infinite wisdom. The car doesn't matter. It's the time and attention. Just for my dad to take time to spend with me and my brother meant the world... didn't matter if we even went anywhere. So this implication that Lebowski's kid is going to suffer some kind of emotional trauma if the M3 goes is ridiculous. Maybe you will suffer childhood emotional trauma from the sale but that's not really Lebowski's concern

This is downright WEIRD man. Is there something you want to tell us???

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2017, 02:06:14 PM
There are off-roaders and there are SUV/CUVs.  I'd love to have an old Bronco to run the Baja (in my dreams maybe), but anything from a Cayenne to a CR-V has very little enthusiasm related to that kind of activity.  Same for what are now called "sports cars".  Other than the occasional stop light race (even that doesn't happen any more that I've seen other than just a bunch of horse's asses weaving to and fro in traffic) most of these vehicles are not capable of any competing in anything more stressful than the occasional Gymkhana.  Most are bought for the badge value and are driven by those who are far too status conscious.

There are a lot of truck guys who are really into shows more than any performance aspect of it. It's a different sort of enthusiasm, sure: but I don't think they deserve to be written off.

You don't need to wring every last drop out of something to be enthusiastic about it.

Lebowski

The degree to which this bothers Rotor is beyond weird. It's like, Gougs level of interest in mundane details of a stranger's life weird. It's not normal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 17, 2017, 03:00:14 PM
I enjoyed taking rides in my dad's Camry. Why? OK, it was a pretty cool Camry. All-Trac 5 speed, with a CD player- big deal in 1990 (as multiple break ins confirmed). But here is what you're missing in your infinite wisdom. The car doesn't matter. It's the time and attention. Just for my dad to take time to spend with me and my brother meant the world... didn't matter if we even went anywhere. So this implication that Lebowski's kid is going to suffer some kind of emotional trauma if the M3 goes is ridiculous. Maybe you will suffer childhood emotional trauma from the sale but that's not really Lebowski's concern

This is downright WEIRD man. Is there something you want to tell us???

As far as that goes, my second son really likes the wagon and has shown an interest in my tinkerings on it. That's a car that cost about $2000 a few years ago.

Does it say something about my financial condition that the "enthusiast" car is an old and slightly rusty family car?