A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2017, 03:08:09 PM

There are a lot of truck guys who are really into shows more than any performance aspect of it. It's a different sort of enthusiasm, sure: but I don't think they deserve to be written off.

You don't need to wring every last drop out of something to be enthusiastic about it.

I get how certain people who are passionate about Jeeps and Land Rovers and Land Cruisers etc. My girlfriend is not one of those people. I'm sure there are Internet forums where such people are the norm but in real life they are few and far between. For every one of them there are 100 soccer moms driving a Cayenne, most on a perpetual monthly payment, who couldn't tell you a single thing about or care about a thing other than the badge, maybe the price, and the perceived status/image that comes with it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 03:14:54 PM

I get how certain people who are passionate about Jeeps and Land Rovers and Land Cruisers etc. My girlfriend is not one of those people. I'm sure there are Internet forums where such people are the norm but in real life they are few and far between. For every one of them there are 100 soccer moms driving a Cayenne, most on a perpetual monthly payment, who couldn't tell you a single thing about or care about a thing other than the badge, maybe the price, and the perceived status/image that comes with it.

It's true. All of it.

I was really just answering Fomojo's assertion that SUV/CUVs have no enthusiast appeal at all.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2017, 03:08:09 PM
There are a lot of truck guys who are really into shows more than any performance aspect of it. It's a different sort of enthusiasm, sure: but I don't think they deserve to be written off.

You don't need to wring every last drop out of something to be enthusiastic about it.
Well, considering that an enthusiast is someone who is 'highly interested' in something, I guess it's just a matter of degree.  I like a lot of machinery related stuff, though don't participate other than to attend a few shows...was recently at the local Steam show; lots of interesting stuff there. 

Must've got caught up in all the rancor in the thread and overreacted :huh:.

Anyways, you can still be an enthusiast and buy a CR-V.  I consider myself an enthusiast and have driven Escapes for years; but I'd still love to have a '67 Bronco; just to drive around in.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2017, 03:18:36 PM

I was really just answering Fomojo's assertion that SUV/CUVs have no enthusiast appeal at all.

I think in the context of this thread Fomojo is correct.

An X1?  An X3?  A Highlander? An F-Pace?  Even a Cayenne?  They're all grocery getters man.  Everything discussed or suggested ITT is.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 03:24:52 PM

An X1?  An X3?  A Highlander? An F-Pace?  Even a Cayenne?  They're all grocery getters man.  Everything discussed or suggested ITT is.

Agreed. All I'm saying is that there are exceptions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 01:31:17 PM

I'm confused - you're saying I should force your interests on my kids?  "Sorry kid, I know it isn't very comfortable back there but a stranger on the internet said we need to have an RX-8. Hey, do you think I'm lame?"

You don't need to drive a certain car for your kid to watch F1 or go karting with you.  My kid is 2 months old and doesn't know what that shit is. Our 9 year old isn't into F1 (neither am I) and the car I drive has zero impact on his interests or what we do together.

Parenting came up because you brought it up as manifestation of your insecurities around image and material things.  Specifically WRT how your kids view you. Don't project that pathetic shit on me please.

When I think about what I want to "pass along" to my kids, the badge on my car doesn't come to mind sorry.

The answer just admits you never actually were a car enthusiast. Your past purchases were just trying to impress people. Admitting that is fine, just quit the whole financial high road crap and admit you just don't like driving cars and want an appliance to drive.  We can suggest plenty of boring ass appliances to drive.

By the way, if a badge really meant something to me I wouldn't still have a 14 year old Mazda.  Glad you went there, because it really is telling of you.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 03:37:51 PM
...admit you just don't like driving cars and want an appliance to drive.  We can suggest plenty of boring ass appliances to drive.

I think all this was covered before you went on this multu-page tirade of deep financial/emotional analysis... :wtf:

Tave

Lebowski I hope a small part of you is enjoying the back and forth. It is a thread about trading an M3 in for a CR-V, after all.

If you want my $0.02 armchair busybody analysis, and I bet you do, my hunch is Mrs. Lebowski isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of commuting 10 times the distance you do in the 15 year old beater while you're cruising around in a rolling lottery ticket.

M'right or m'right? :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

The answer just admits you never actually were a car enthusiast. Your past purchases were just trying to impress people. Admitting that is fine, just quit the whole financial high road crap and admit you just don't like driving cars and want an appliance to drive.  We can suggest plenty of boring ass appliances to drive.

By the way, if a badge really meant something to me I wouldn't still have a 14 year old Mazda.  Glad you went there, because it really is telling of you.

Jesus Christ. Re-read the thread :facepalm:

Badge or no badge if you think a car is what determines whether or not you're "lame", you're a loser. That you take so much interest in someone else's choice (for their non enthusiast sig other no less) is weird.  That you press on unaware of how weird it is, is weirder still.

The thread title says "embracing my inner unthusiast". 16 pages in and you're still like "ah ha!  Gotcha!  You're not even an enthusiast!" :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 17, 2017, 03:54:05 PM

Lebowski I hope a small part of you is enjoying the back and forth. It is a thread about trading an M3 in for a CR-V, after all.

If you want my $0.02 armchair busybody analysis, and I bet you do, my hunch is Mrs. Lebowski isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of commuting 10 times the distance you do in the 15 year old beater while you're cruising around in a rolling lottery ticket.

M'right or m'right? :thumbsup:

Of course I like the back and forth, especially when we have a volunteer step in who makes it so easy.

She likes the 4Runner and has no complaints driving it. If it was up to her we'd make no changes, this whole thing was initiated by me.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 17, 2017, 09:45:27 AM
CRV FTW although the new CX5 is awful pretty

Oh yeah, I like the CX-5. But aren't they both a bit small for two kids?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 03:24:52 PM

For the record, pretty much all cars are. I mean, I'd bet Tave and I go grocery shopping in our sports cars and you did too when you had nothing but the Corvette.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on September 17, 2017, 04:43:13 PM

For the record, pretty much all cars are. I mean, I'd bet Tave and I go grocery shopping in our sports cars and you did too when you had nothing but the Corvette.  :lol:

EXACTLY!  This is the most intelligent post in this thread!

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on September 17, 2017, 04:38:43 PM

Oh yeah, I like the CX-5. But aren't they both a bit small for two kids?

CX-5 is significantly smaller.  I wanted to like it, but it's significantly smaller than the CRV.  Unless you are using Rotor measurements, and believe this conspiracy theory that Honda redefined volume. 

12,000 RPM

The answer just admits you never actually were a car enthusiast.
What is the value in being a car enthusiast? You guys seem like a miserable bunch... holding everyone else to a standard they never knew or cared about in the first place, making financial and practical sacrifices to project an image nobody notices. Seems like a fruitless endeavor :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 03:55:53 PM

Jesus Christ. Re-read the thread :facepalm:

Badge or no badge if you think a car is what determines whether or not you're "lame", you're a loser. That you take so much interest in someone else's choice (for their non enthusiast sig other no less) is weird.  That you press on unaware of how weird it is, is weirder still.

The thread title says "embracing my inner unthusiast". 16 pages in and you're still like "ah ha!  Gotcha!  You're not even an enthusiast!" :huh:

Now that we established you spent $80k trying to be a poser, what else have you been lying about... How far does the wormhole actually go?

... Coug's figured this out long ago...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 17, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
What is the value in being a car enthusiast? You guys seem like a miserable bunch... holding everyone else to a standard they never knew or cared about in the first place, making financial and practical sacrifices to project an image nobody notices. Seems like a fruitless endeavor :huh:

What does it say about someone that signs into an car enthusiast website driving a vette and then an M3 when he never liked cars to begin with?  Poser M car owners usually have a lot more to hide then what's on the surface.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 05:50:02 PM

Now that we established you spent $80k trying to be a poser, what else have you been lying about... How far does the wormhole actually go?

... Coug's figured this out long ago...

Keep running with that narrative.  So much money spent just to impress you, Rotor.  Keep telling yourself that to stroke your ego and pretend your opinion matters.

Life changes, interests change, priorities change. I like cars and like driving, I don't like sitting in traffic and putzing around town which is most of what my real world driving consists of and I currently don't get much value out of owning a performance car.  That you are so wrapped up in this is the real mystery here.

giant_mtb

Yeah, he had a Corvette, an M3, and has been a member of a car forum for years because he never liked cars to begin with.  :wtf:

Seriously you guys.  :hammerhead:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 05:52:52 PM

What does it say about someone that signs into an car enthusiast website driving a vette and then an M3 when he never liked cars to begin with?  Poser M car owners usually have a lot more to hide then what's on the surface.
That people change over time? :huh:

Are you into exactly and nothing more than all the shit you were into 10, 20, 30 years ago? And what about my questions?

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 17, 2017, 06:09:30 PM
Yeah, he had a Corvette, an M3, and has been a member of a car forum for years because he never liked cars to begin with.  :wtf:

Seriously you guys.  :hammerhead:
I blame climate change :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 17, 2017, 06:12:44 PM
That people change over time? :huh:

Are you into exactly and nothing more than all the shit you were into 10, 20, 30 years ago? And what about my questions?

... We are talking about a decision made 2 or 3 years ago...

And now he wishes for us to believe he is making some great financial move??? 

Soup DeVille

I went from owning an S2000 to a Mercury Colony Park and a 15 year old Toyota. I must be using one of them as my house.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2017, 06:25:33 PM

... We are talking about a decision made 2 or 3 years ago...

And now he wishes for us to believe he is making some great financial move??? 

Ordered over 3 years ago. A little bit has changed in that time too as far as very minor details like number of people in my household, number of drivers in my household, number of dependents etc.  Families of four sometimes make different vehicle choices than single guys, shocking I know.  Similarly, things that don't really matter for a 6-7k mile/yr driver (LT reliability, mpg, maintenance items like tire life) start to make a difference for a 25k mile/yr driver. Yada yada this has all been explained and seems to make perfect sense to everyone but you.

Your argument is inherently self contradicting - if I was even a little bit embarrassed or felt like I had something to hide I wouldn't have started this thread, would I?  Lol the thread title says unthusiast.

The level of interest you have in this is beyond weird.  I've suggested several times now you stop replying in this thread, I'll suggest it again.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 06:37:19 PM

Ordered over 3 years ago. A little bit has changed in that time too as far as very minor details like number of people in my household, number of drivers in my household, number of dependents etc.  Families of four sometimes make different vehicle choices than single guys, shocking I know.

You already had the ultimate driving family sedan.  There is nothing impractical about a 3 series.

Your argument is inherently self contradicting - if I was even a little bit embarrassed or felt like I had something to hide I wouldn't have started this thread, would I?  Lol the thread title says unthusiast.

Your attempt at saving grace was "oh look I'm making a wise financial move".  Really it's "I'm tired of my car reminding me I'm a poser everyday" with a little financial desperation thrown in.  Be real, not fake. Also, again the halarity of someone who feels the need to hand out financial advice continually is the same one spending $80k to look good.

The level of interest you have in this is beyond weird.  I've suggested several times now you stop replying in this thread, I'll suggest it again.

I'm done.  Good luck.

12,000 RPM

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

4 realz.

Oh I must be a total loser too when I got rid of my Miata to keep just my 16yr old Subaru. Then when I bought a 12yr old minivan.
Will