A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Lebowski

What if it was a hybrid without CarPlay?

Highlander doesn't have CarPlay either fwiw, they have their own Toyota system.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 22, 2017, 01:56:23 PM

Have you considered a hybrid CUV?

None of them seem to make much sense IMO - highlander for example hybrid mileage 30/28, not that impressive. CRV not currently offered in US.  RAV4 we don't like anyway and the hybrid model gets 34/30 - again not too impressive considering the CRV non-hybrid gets 28/34.  A good chunk of her commute is highway.

2o6

Quote from: Lebowski on September 22, 2017, 02:02:52 PM
None of them seem to make much sense IMO - highlander for example hybrid mileage 30/28, not that impressive. CRV not currently offered in US.  RAV4 we don't like anyway and the hybrid model gets 34/30 - again not too impressive considering the CRV non-hybrid gets 28/34.  A good chunk of her commute is highway.

Real MPG of the Hybrids will be much better than the CRV's "On paper" mileage.

However, the price premium isn't always worth it.

Quote from: Lebowski on September 22, 2017, 01:51:13 PM
What if it was a hybrid without CarPlay?

Highlander doesn't have CarPlay either fwiw, they have their own Toyota system.

(I wouldn't buy the Toyota). I think that the RX is only attractive as a hybrid; better MPG than the gas counterpart, and whisper quiet.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 22, 2017, 01:19:36 PM

$43k just happened to be the window sticker of the one the salesman grabbed. I had asked to look at an SE which starts a bit lower, ~$40k. Highlander isn't a very new model I assume can do better than msrp.  Sorta looked at the highlander as a let's see what else is out there kind of thing (since we know she doesn't like the RAV4), I'm not pulling for the highlander to be the winner. 

If she drives 20-25k miles/yr, 80k miles is 3-4 years.  The difference between buying a new European/luxury brand every 3-4 years and buying a new Honda/Toyota every say 6-7 years, over time, is not insignificant.

As I've said, I like the XC60, she's not a Volvo fan but I'm not sure how she feels about the XC60 specifically.  Starts at $41,500 a quick look at the website looks like it's decently well equipped starting. I'll run the idea past her if she's interested I'm not totally against looking at them, but as I said above I don't agree with you WRT owning for 3-4 years vs 6-7+, keeping cars a long time is key to reducing total cost of ownership (which again is why leasing is almost never a good idea).  Keeping the bmw only 3 years is an anomaly in my car ownership history, not something I'm looking to make the norm.   

Also note after googling, cargo volume of XC60 is 31/67, that's actually smaller than the CRV.  So if you compare the value proposition to a $31k CRV rather than a $40k highlander ...

Hmmm....value is more than just cargo space. The Volvo has best-in-class (and that's a class above the CRV) interior and safety. The space is either enough for your needs or not, a few cubes don't matter, especially having the bigger truck around.

If I am not mistaken, you are aiming for a net worth of 5M+ for financial security. A few extra thousands over the next 8 years on a nice and safe car for the wife won't be the factor between making it or not.

The point is of course moot if she's not interested. I'd be surprised however if she doesn't love that interior.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 22, 2017, 02:49:19 PM

Hmmm....value is more than just cargo space. The Volvo has best-in-class (and that's a class above the CRV) interior and safety. The space is either enough for your needs or not, a few cubes don't matter, especially having the bigger truck around.

Size is a pretty consistent determinant of price/value across categories. 3/5/7 series c/e/s X1/x3/X5 XC60/xc90 RAV4/highlander CRV/pilot cx-5/cx-9 etc etc etc.

Is volvo "safety" superiority real or marketing? 

Sorry, the XC60 is nice but I don't see it as the "value" play here.

If I am not mistaken, you are aiming for a net worth of 5M+ for financial security. A few extra thousands over the next 8 years on a nice and safe car for the wife won't be the factor between making it or not.

We can follow this train of thought to it's logical end.  In this case we don't have to - a luxury car replaced every 3-4 years vs a mainstreamer replaced evey 6-7 yrs is material.

She's not a Volvo fan. It's not a car she's begging me to consider.

12,000 RPM

Volvo infotainment also sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

IDGAF what anyone says- physical controls that don't take your eyes of the screen for several seconds >>>>

The Volvo is worse in all the ways that matter to Lady Lebowski for 2x the money. I think if the CR-V cost $50K, had like 230HP and a German badge everyone would love it. I really don't understand what the aversion to mainstream ownership is
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2017, 03:53:47 PM

IDGAF what anyone says- physical controls that don't take your eyes of the screen for several seconds >>>>

The Volvo is worse in all the ways that matter to Lady Lebowski for 2x the money. I think if the CR-V cost $50K, had like 230HP and a German badge everyone would love it. I really don't understand what the aversion to mainstream ownership is

Lady Lebowski isn't on this thread. And if I know anything about women you have to do some "reading between the lines" to figure what they really want. Women who always say exactly what they want don't exist or are men. Would she be delighted to find a "surprise" by Lebowski of a nicer car than expected? Who knows? Maybe. If she's like 99.99% of women in the world, yes.

I don't understand your aversion to nice things.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 22, 2017, 04:08:07 PM
Lady Lebowski isn't on this thread. And if I know anything about women you have to do some "reading between the lines" to figure what they really want. Women who always say exactly what they want don't exist or are men. Would she be delighted to find a "surprise" by Lebowski of a nicer car than expected? Who knows? Maybe. If she's like 99.99% of women in the world, yes.

What has Lady Lebowski said to you that would indicate she doesn't want a mainstream CUV?

And how is a fully loaded CR-V not a nice thing? An equally equipped XC60 is not $20-30K nicer. Nowhere close.

2o6

Eh? I get the gist you generally pick cars out for your wife and just give them to her.

This transaction seems more like a woman deciding what she wants to drive next.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on September 22, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
Eh? I get the gist you generally pick cars out for your wife and just give them to her.

+1,    Culture difference is quite substantial..
Will

AutobahnSHO

I'd say the RX is a solid choice for a commuter. But then I drive old cars anyway :mrcool:
Will

GoCougs

"Nice" in auto land usually brings along with it onerous and terrible tech.

But make no mistake, ze German (and American) automakers don't sleep well for their inability to build something as "nice" as a CR-V, at any price.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2017, 04:37:52 AM
I enjoy getting low as well... but we have been getting our baby shower gifts, including the car seat systems. I can already tell the higher hip point and bigger door/trunk apertures of wifey's car are going to go far in making loading our spawn less of a hassle. If/when we have a second one I would not be opposed to a minivan/3 row.

I, by design, have no children. So the Z4 still works best for me.

I had another day out in the S4 today. I am slowly acclimating to it. But it's still not a joy like driving the Z4 is. I was stuck in traffic on Wednesday for an hour, just sitting there, top down, blasting Watch the Throne, and I wasn't even mad about the traffic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 22, 2017, 12:28:55 PM
Does Toyota makes RXes in colors other than champagne?

A champagne Lexus RX is standard issue suburbandom transportation, definitely.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 22, 2017, 01:08:03 PM
These days, I'd rather be higher up driving in traffic, which is most of the time.  Better vision as well as a better sense of security.  In the past, I loved the go-kart feel of driving a roadster but, in traffic, the view is pretty grim.  Had a crash because I couldn't see a car that was making an illegal left turn in front of me as my view was blocked by the traffic beside me.

I love having a nearly 360 degree unobstructed view. I see everything around me. Mirrors are just for show! But yes, especially on the highway, you are unavoidably aware that death lurks behind every other steering wheel on the road with you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2017, 03:53:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

To be fair, is there a single infotainment system that doesn't suck, at least initially? I mean, it took me a little while to get used to MMI.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2017, 04:59:57 PM
What has Lady Lebowski said to you that would indicate she doesn't want a mainstream CUV?

And how is a fully loaded CR-V not a nice thing? An equally equipped XC60 is not $20-30K nicer. Nowhere close.

AFAIK You started talking in the name of "Lady Lebowski", not me. The XC60 is nicer. Period. It is not worth it to you. It certainly is for all the people who buy them. WTF with the universal statements.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on September 22, 2017, 05:02:50 PM

You're wrong. I wanted the XC90 actually. She chose the X5.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 22, 2017, 05:18:12 PM
"Nice" in auto land usually brings along with it onerous and terrible tech.

But make no mistake, ze German (and American) automakers don't sleep well for their inability to build something as "nice" as a CR-V, at any price.

I don't think they lose that much sleep.

https://ycharts.com/companies/HMC/market_cap

vs.

https://ycharts.com/companies/BAMXF/market_cap
https://ycharts.com/companies/DMLRY/market_cap
https://ycharts.com/companies/VLKAY/market_cap

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 22, 2017, 06:41:17 PM
AFAIK You started talking in the name of "Lady Lebowski", not me. The XC60 is nicer. Period. It is not worth it to you. It certainly is for all the people who buy them. WTF with the universal statements.
I didn't say the XC60 isn't nicer. Just not twice as nice. The incremental cost is not worth it.

And if we are going to talk about generalizations I'd think your dismissal of women's ability to make decisions would be a better place to start.

The XC60 is nicer to you because it has a better badge. Objectively, especially in the context of Lady Lebowski's started wants and needs, there's nothing better about it.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 22, 2017, 08:06:30 PM
Paint isn't that expensive. :huh:

:orly:

Turn your brain on.  If it was shruggably inexpensive, a lot more people would change the color of their cars. But they don't. Because it's fucin expensive to do properly.

Laconian

I don't think it's possible for aftermarket painters to replicate the factory technique where they electrically charge the chassis..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Laconian on September 22, 2017, 10:21:14 PM
I don't think it's possible for aftermarket painters to replicate the factory technique where they electrically charge the chassis..

Yeah, bodyshops have been having a lot of trouble trying to get your paint color on your RF right since the flakes line up a specific way.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Meh, I don't think I've ever seen a fantastic factory paint job. It seems even the most expensive cars have a least a bit of orange peel. Those processes are designed to be "barely good enough" yet quick.

A good (about matches factory quality) aftermarket paint job is gonna cost - figure ~$5,000, and that's without fixing door dings and the like.

A good aftermarket painter can easily exceed a factory paint job, but it takes inordinate amounts of prep and wet sanding between coats and the like. But then you're looking at like $7,500 or more, and that's if you don't change color (i.e., not painting the engine bay, trunk, door jambs, etc.).