WTF is being a car enthusiast, after all?

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 18, 2017, 03:48:44 PM

MexicoCityM3

I think there is some level of commitment to whatever the interest is that certainly means you're no longer an "enthusiast" of that.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

My level of commitment has been reduced considerably over the years.  Now it's more of an observer.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 19, 2017, 04:08:43 PM
My level of commitment has been reduced considerably over the years.  Now it's more of an observer.

Mine too. Still a car enthusiast I think however.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

I will never forget this.... I read an article in Honda Tuning about a TSX build that got featured. They asked him how he got it done.... "a lot of late nights, and a lot of credit cards"

That really put things into perspective for me WRT "enthusiasm".
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2017, 04:15:33 PM
I will never forget this.... I read an article in Honda Tuning about a TSX build that got featured. They asked him how he got it done.... "a lot of late nights, and a lot of credit cards"

That really put things into perspective for me WRT "enthusiasm".

Meaning? Too much? Judging this guy are we?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 19, 2017, 04:02:25 PM

I think there is some level of commitment to whatever the interest is that certainly means you're no longer an "enthusiast" of that.

Doesn't that ruin the fun?

I have enough things that require commitment.  Recreational interests IMO are about fun, about having a release. If there's a "required" level of commitment ... why?  To call yourself an enthusiast?  Who's keeping score?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 02:46:27 PM

And the "test" was entirely image/persona based?

Don't worry, if stuff/possessions are your measuring stick your kids will figure out you're lame either way Rotor.

In case you can't figure it out, the statements were a calculated simple stresser applied to the conversation to see if some sort of enthusiast spark would emerge.  Often, when children are mentioned some emotional thoughts can be provoked.  Your response just confirmed that you never were and never will be an actual enthusiast.

Frankly, I never really cared about your decision - and why would I when it has zero impact on my life.  Your just another person who bought way too much car for themselves.  The end game was just determining after all this time if you are really who/what you claimed to be.  Evidence points to your last couple cars as being for show, which probably means other statements about yourself are also fake.... and that's all I pretty much needed to know. 

Have a nice day.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 04:19:49 PM

Doesn't that ruin the fun?

I have enough things that require commitment.  Recreational interests IMO are about fun, about having a release. If there's a "required" level of commitment ... why?  To call yourself an enthusiast?  Who's keeping score?

I don't know what the level is but there is one. No one is keeping score, just a matter of definitions. No criticism meant of you personally. Nothing wrong with being less of a car enthusiast for the moment after life changing events (or just because).

I used to be a video game enthusiast. No longer. I never play anymore.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 19, 2017, 04:17:29 PM
Meaning? Too much? Judging this guy are we?
Bad financial decisions are bad financial decisions. Using "enthusiasm" as an excuse doesn't change that... one can enjoy cars without overextending themselves.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 04:22:11 PM

In case you can't figure it out, the statements were a calculated simple stresser applied to the conversation to see if some sort of enthusiast spark would emerge.  Often, when children are mentioned some irrational thoughts can be provoked.  Your response just confirmed that you never were and never will be an actual enthusiast.

Frankly, I never really cared about your decision - and why would I when it has zero impact on my life.  Your just another person who bought way too much car for themselves.  The end game was just determining after all this time if you are really who/what you claimed to be.  Evidence points to your last couple cars as being for show, which probably means other statements about yourself are also fake.... and that's all I pretty much needed to know. 

Have a nice day.

Ah, I get it. The appeal to vanity and talking about having your self image wrapped up in a vehicle was just an advanced interrogation technique. How'd that work out?

Of course you care, and cared so much you got angry, dug into nonsensical logical arguments, and entirely lost your composure. You cared far far more about a stranger buying a practical car than is normal.  Now that it's starting to sink in, you're backtracking. 

Cookie Monster

I think Rotor is right (Lebowski comments notwithstanding). I mean, I'm interested in many things, but am an enthusiast in a very few.

For me, I think the difference between the two is whether I could live without something. I'm interested in bicycles and shoes, and often have times where I'm REALLY into them, but I could easily get by without them, because I'm not really a bicycle or shoe enthusiast.

However, I can't live without my cars. Even if some other hobby or interest captures my attention for a while, I'm still always doing something with cars. When I was riding motorcycles every day, I was still tinkering with cars on the weekends. I can't give up the driving and the tinkering and wrenching, and to me that makes me an enthusiast.

I also think you can fall out of being an enthusiast as life goes on. In college I was super into audio and headphones. I would do tons of research and buy new headphones and equipment every few weeks. Now, I just have a few nice sets of headphones. I'm interested in headphones more than the average person but I don't think I'm an enthusiast at all.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2017, 04:38:46 PM
Bad financial decisions are bad financial decisions. Using "enthusiasm" as an excuse doesn't change that... one can enjoy cars without overextending themselves.

Only that guy knows if his expense was "worth it" to him however.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

shp4man

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 19, 2017, 04:41:42 PM
I think Rotor is right (Lebowski comments notwithstanding). I mean, I'm interested in many things, but am an enthusiast in a very few.

For me, I think the difference between the two is whether I could live without something. I'm interested in bicycles and shoes, and often have times where I'm REALLY into them, but I could easily get by without them, because I'm not really a bicycle or shoe enthusiast.

However, I can't live without my cars. Even if some other hobby or interest captures my attention for a while, I'm still always doing something with cars. When I was riding motorcycles every day, I was still tinkering with cars on the weekends. I can't give up the driving and the tinkering and wrenching, and to me that makes me an enthusiast.

I also think you can fall out of being an enthusiast as life goes on. In college I was super into audio and headphones. I would do tons of research and buy new headphones and equipment every few weeks. Now, I just have a few nice sets of headphones. I'm interested in headphones more than the average person but I don't think I'm an enthusiast at all.

Shoes? You mean like fancy sneakers?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 04:40:59 PM
How'd that work out?

Of course you care, and cared so much you got angry, dug into nonsensical logical arguments, and entirely lost your composure. You cared far far more about a stranger buying a practical car than is normal.  Now that it's starting to sink in, you're backtracking. 

It worked very well actually.

Never really got angry actually - shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 05:12:53 PM

It worked very well actually.

Never really got angry actually - shrug-

Backtrack.

Backtrack.

Back ...

... track.

Of course you got angry, of course you lost it, of course you care far more than is normal. You made a complete ass of yourself.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: shp4man on September 19, 2017, 05:03:28 PM
Shoes? You mean like fancy sneakers?

Yeah, I always want to buy some limited edition $$$ shoe, and then think "do I really need it?" and then don't.

I think the only things I'm really enthusiastic about right now are cars, fitness and skiing. I'd say I'm a bordering watch enthusiast, but I don't really keep up to date with all the watch models and don't buy a watch as fast as I buy car parts. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 05:16:08 PM

Backtrack.

Backtrack.

Back ...

... track.

Of course you got angry, of course you lost it, of course you care far more than is normal. You made a complete ass of yourself.

Your kidding yourself if I really cared about a thread about a boring ass CRV.  The intrigue was always answering some questions.  No regrets for uncovering the truth - shrug-

GoCougs

After all this he'd better buy that goddamned CRV.

Lebowski

veeman

To say someone who wants to trade in their M3 for a CRV is no longer a car enthusiast is inaccurate.  Just regularly reading and posting on a car forum takes significant time and, like this thread demonstrates, mental stamina. Everyone who regularly posts here, on car related topics, is by definition a car enthusiast.  Attachments, quoting, googling, it's a lot of time.  A "time sink" probably according to most of our significant others I bet. 

veeman

I'm definitely a car enthusiast but definitely not a gearhead. 

Rupert

IMO, being an "enthusiast" (as if that's some badge of honor?) does require some commitment. Doesn't have to be a lot, or consistent over time, but I think it would be hard to call someone a car enthusiast who didn't know anything about cars, didn't and had never tried to learn anything about cars, didn't and had never driven cars enthusiastically, didn't and had never owned interesting cars, etc., whether they claimed to be an enthusiast or not.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FoMoJo

A lot of my enthusiasm comes from knowing (trying to understand) how things work.  As a teenager, I couldn't wait to have an excuse to take something apart on the car, other things too, if I thought they weren't working right; and even if they were.  I loved driving as well and, eventually, got interested in motor sports.  Lot's of aspects of cars that a person can get enthusiastic about.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

I think a person's enthusiast cards should be based on their Instagram feed
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Tave

I like r0tor's idea that enthusiasm is usually evidenced by some combination of time and monetary commitment.

When I had no money, I read about cars incessantly.

When I had a little money, I bought a shitty car and drove it all over the country, often just for fun.

When I started making adult money but didn't (and still don't) have a lifestyle suitable for multiple-car ownership, I bought as fun a car as I could under the circumstances and continued my habit of extended driving for enjoyment.

If I'm still interested in cars when I finally get a house with some space, I'm sure I'll have at least one project/performance car to sink a little money into. I have a lot of intellectual interests but very few consumer interests outside cars. Maybe golf, or skiing if I lived somewhere decent for it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 05:25:15 PM
Your kidding yourself if I really cared about a thread about a boring ass CRV.  The intrigue was always answering some questions.  No regrets for uncovering the truth - shrug-

You obviously cared, you're bringing it over to a different thread and spent time writing a play based on your view of what happened. :popcorn:
Will

Lebowski

Starting to read like a DeBeers commercial ...

"What better way to spend at least 3 months salary than to show your internet friends you're a true enthusiast"

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 20, 2017, 06:07:11 PM
You obviously cared, you're bringing it over to a different thread and spent time writing a play based on your view of what happened. :popcorn:

I didn't start it on this thread :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 20, 2017, 06:19:20 PM
I didn't start it on this thread :huh:
But you entertained and are continuing it. Lebowski baited you and you jumped :ohyeah:

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2017, 06:23:13 PM
But you entertained and are continuing it. Lebowski baited you and you jumped :ohyeah:

... and I finished, and he still is butthurt

Quote"What better way to spend at least 3 months salary than to show your internet friends you're a true enthusiast"