Speeding Ticket in NY

Started by SJ_GTI, January 09, 2006, 01:50:04 PM

SJ_GTI

So I got a speeding ticket while driving back to Montreal.

96 in a 65.  :banghead:

Anyway I got no problem with the ticket (that was at a slow point), but how will this impact my insurance?

Also, the cop gave me a ticket and said I could mail in the payment, but I didn't notice untiul later that there doesn't appear to be the amount of the penalty listed on the ticket...?

I am sure it will be expensive but I have no idea of how much to even mail in. Doesn't make much sense...? They don't even list a telephone number or any way to contact them.

Anyone have any info or suggestion?

I really don't want to fight the ticket, especially since I am supposed to be in Europe on the date they set the trial. But if I could minimize the damage somewhat it wouldn't hurt.  :P  

Rupert

Are you a US citizen or a Canadian citizen?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tom

That's a pretty healthy speed there.  Was the cop at a stop when he nailed you?   If so, at that speed you probably could have peaced out and left him in the dust.

cozmik

That could seriously hurt the insurance. With a couple insurance companies, IIRC, 10 over is considered wreckless driving.

Perhaps...

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

L. ed foote

QuoteThat's a pretty healthy speed there.  Was the cop at a stop when he nailed you?   If so, at that speed you probably could have peaced out and left him in the dust.
Assuming he was on I-87 (north of Albany) at the time, 96/65 isn't that big a deal.

Staties up around there tend to sneak up on you.  On my last trip to Montreal, I tried paceing one at about 100 and he was still pulling away, so I'd say outrunning one isn't an option.
Member, Self Preservation Society

mazda6er

QuoteThat's a pretty healthy speed there.  Was the cop at a stop when he nailed you?   If so, at that speed you probably could have peaced out and left him in the dust.
Assuming he was on I-87 (north of Albany) at the time, 96/65 isn't that big a deal.

Staties up around there tend to sneak up on you.  On my last trip to Montreal, I tried paceing one at about 100 and he was still pulling away, so I'd say outrunning one isn't an option.
Yeah, it's always good to avoid potential misdemeanors too.  :D  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

L. ed foote

QuoteSo I got a speeding ticket while driving back to Montreal.

96 in a 65.  :banghead:

Anyway I got no problem with the ticket (that was at a slow point), but how will this impact my insurance?

Also, the cop gave me a ticket and said I could mail in the payment, but I didn't notice untiul later that there doesn't appear to be the amount of the penalty listed on the ticket...?

I am sure it will be expensive but I have no idea of how much to even mail in. Doesn't make much sense...? They don't even list a telephone number or any way to contact them.

Anyone have any info or suggestion?

I really don't want to fight the ticket, especially since I am supposed to be in Europe on the date they set the trial. But if I could minimize the damage somewhat it wouldn't hurt.  :P
There should be the court name on the ticket.  You'll find out your pennance when you mail the ticket in..

If this is your first ticket, it shouldn't be that big a deal.  It's when you rack up multiple tickets is when your pocket gets hit.

Here are my experiences.

Feeding the Troop K Bears, part I

Feeding the Troop K Bears, Part II

Tom

QuoteThat's a pretty healthy speed there.  Was the cop at a stop when he nailed you?   If so, at that speed you probably could have peaced out and left him in the dust.

That's assuming the cop was already on the road.  It must take him 25 seconds to get to 100 from a stop.  And if he was going 95 that must mean the roads were relatively clear for an escape route to work.  But maybe you're right.

L. ed foote

QuoteThat could seriously hurt the insurance. With a couple insurance companies, IIRC, 10 over is considered wreckless driving.
30 over in NYS is considered reckless.  D. Law can impound your car if they so desire.  Since MTL was able to drive the rest of the way home, I'd say the officer cut him a break.  :lol:

MTL, FWIW, you could put off the court date a couple of times if you're interested in fighting the ticket (don't know if you got a NYS license, or a Quebec license).  Given the court log, they probably won't see you until the fall.

That date on the ticket, is the arraignment date.  You show up to court on that date, they tell you when you can come back for your hearing.

L. ed foote

QuoteThat's assuming the cop was already on the road.  It must take him 25 seconds to get to 100 from a stop.  And if he was going 95 that must mean the roads were relatively clear for an escape route to work.  But maybe you're right.
That far north, exits are few and far in between.  He may have been able to escape, but it's not likely.  

TurboDan

Do you have an NJ license of a Quebec license?  I do not believe NYS has reciprocity agreements with NJ.  However, I recall reading someone's post that they actually did have an agreement with the province of Quebec.

If you have an NJ license, the points wouldn't transfer, assuming there is still no reciprocity.

TurboDan

Looks like I'm right:

?Out-of-State Violations. DMV does not record out-of-state violations
committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions, except for
out-of-state alcohol or drug-related violations (e.g. DUI) and moving
violations committed in Quebec and Ontario. Therefore, except for
violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS
record for out-of-state violations.?

So, the same agreement would be reciprocal the other way around, obviously.  If you still have the NJ license you'll be fine.  

SJ_GTI

I currently have a quebec license.  :(  

Catman

As far as the fine, just call any NY department and they'll tell you what it it.  Here it is $100 for the first 10 over then $10 for every mile an hour over that.

J86

Oh man I hope it's not like that in NY!

Those NY freeways sucks- so long so straight so well paved and so well patrolled!!!!

SJ_GTI

PS. This is my first ticket, which is a bit surprising since really 96 MPH is not unusual for me. I usually have a good eye for seeing the po-po before they see me. They got lucky this time.  :devil:

Also like L. ED Foote said 96 isn't that crazy of a speed for where I was at (I87)...I am passing traffic for the most part but I do get passed by other cars occasionally as well.

Still not sure if I should just pay it or not though.

sparkplug

QuoteAs far as the fine, just call any NY department and they'll tell you what it it.  Here it is $100 for the first 10 over then $10 for every mile an hour over that.
If you write someone up for say 6? mph over the speedlimit then its a $100 fine?

How do the charges go say for 1 mph over to 5 mph, or 6mph to 9 mph to 1000 mph over.

dazzleman

Mtl_A4, all I can say is, congratulations, man.  :lol:   For a first ticket, that's pretty impressive, kind of like hitting a grand slam in your first at-bat.  :P

All kidding aside, I think some of the other guys gave you some good advice.  I'll just say a few things in case Foote or one of the other guys didn't mention them.

First, I'm confused, because it had been my understanding that 30 mph or more over the limit in NY required a court appearance.  I'm surprised the trooper gave you the option of mailing it in.  Are you sure he didn't write you down to a lower speed?

Second, as I think TurboDan posted, New York has reciprocity with hardly anybody else, so if you have a New Jersey license, then this ticket probably won't show up on it.

There should be the name and address of a court on the ticket.  In my experience with NY tickets, only the ones issued in NYC have the fine on them; otherwise, the court mails you your penance, as Foote said, after you send in your plea.  I don't really like this, because I don't like pleading to a crime until I know the sentence.  I suggest you call the court and ask them if they'll tell you the fine over the phone.

One thing a few of my friends have done when they've gotten tickets in NY is to go to court and strike a deal with the cop outside the courtroom.  Then the cop goes in and requests a reduction of the charge.  How was your encounter with him?  Were you courteous, or at least not hostile?

If the cop doesn't show up for court, the ticket is thrown out.  Chances are, he'll be there, and I don't think you can hope for a dismissal of the ticket at that speed.  You could simply try to get the charge reduced to a lesser speed on the grounds that conditions were very good, and your speed, while illegal, was not especially dangerous.

I think that New York can suspend the driving privilege of out-of-state drivers for racking up too many points.  As it stands, I believe you have an 8-point ticket, with 11 points necessary to bring suspension of privilege.  Keep that in mind if you drive through NY a lot.

Good luck, man, and let us know how the whole thing turns out.  Also keep in mind, as Foote said, you can definitely postpone your court appearance at least once or twice if it conflicts with something else.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

NJ does the same thing as far as suspending someone from driving in the state.  It happened to a friend of mine once, and to this day he's never lived down the joke that he was "banned from New Jersey."   :lol:

I believe it was for one month and he had to pay something like $30 to get "re-instated" in NJ.

dazzleman

QuoteNJ does the same thing as far as suspending someone from driving in the state.  It happened to a friend of mine once, and to this day he's never lived down the joke that he was "banned from New Jersey."   :lol:

I believe it was for one month and he had to pay something like $30 to get "re-instated" in NJ.
Dude, you're lucky it didn't happen to you too.  :D   Didn't you get a ticket in New Jersey about a year ago, the same weekend your girlfriend got a ticket down in Maryland?  What a bunch of lawbreakers......[walks away in disgust].... :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

I think I'd be glad to be banned from New Jersey ;) .
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

SJ_GTI

QuoteMtl_A4, all I can say is, congratulations, man.  :lol:   For a first ticket, that's pretty impressive, kind of like hitting a grand slam in your first at-bat.  :P

All kidding aside, I think some of the other guys gave you some good advice.  I'll just say a few things in case Foote or one of the other guys didn't mention them.

First, I'm confused, because it had been my understanding that 30 mph or more over the limit in NY required a court appearance.  I'm surprised the trooper gave you the option of mailing it in.  Are you sure he didn't write you down to a lower speed?

Second, as I think TurboDan posted, New York has reciprocity with hardly anybody else, so if you have a New Jersey license, then this ticket probably won't show up on it.

There should be the name and address of a court on the ticket.  In my experience with NY tickets, only the ones issued in NYC have the fine on them; otherwise, the court mails you your penance, as Foote said, after you send in your plea.  I don't really like this, because I don't like pleading to a crime until I know the sentence.  I suggest you call the court and ask them if they'll tell you the fine over the phone.

One thing a few of my friends have done when they've gotten tickets in NY is to go to court and strike a deal with the cop outside the courtroom.  Then the cop goes in and requests a reduction of the charge.  How was your encounter with him?  Were you courteous, or at least not hostile?

If the cop doesn't show up for court, the ticket is thrown out.  Chances are, he'll be there, and I don't think you can hope for a dismissal of the ticket at that speed.  You could simply try to get the charge reduced to a lesser speed on the grounds that conditions were very good, and your speed, while illegal, was not especially dangerous.

I think that New York can suspend the driving privilege of out-of-state drivers for racking up too many points.  As it stands, I believe you have an 8-point ticket, with 11 points necessary to bring suspension of privilege.  Keep that in mind if you drive through NY a lot.

Good luck, man, and let us know how the whole thing turns out.  Also keep in mind, as Foote said, you can definitely postpone your court appearance at least once or twice if it conflicts with something else.
I did some checking on the net and I guess quebec is a little more lenient than NY as far as points.

In Quebec this will be a 5 "demerit" ticket, and it would take 15 demerits to suspend my license.

In NY this is an 8 point ticket, and it would take 11 points to suspend my license.

The ticket will carry a yearly fine for the "demerits" in Quebec though, for 2 years.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think I'd be glad to be banned from New Jersey ;) .
Screw you hippie!  :rage:  

Rupert

dazzleman

QuoteMtl_A4, all I can say is, congratulations, man.  :lol:   For a first ticket, that's pretty impressive, kind of like hitting a grand slam in your first at-bat.  :P

All kidding aside, I think some of the other guys gave you some good advice.  I'll just say a few things in case Foote or one of the other guys didn't mention them.

First, I'm confused, because it had been my understanding that 30 mph or more over the limit in NY required a court appearance.  I'm surprised the trooper gave you the option of mailing it in.  Are you sure he didn't write you down to a lower speed?

There should be the name and address of a court on the ticket.  In my experience with NY tickets, only the ones issued in NYC have the fine on them; otherwise, the court mails you your penance, as Foote said, after you send in your plea.  I don't really like this, because I don't like pleading to a crime until I know the sentence.  I suggest you call the court and ask them if they'll tell you the fine over the phone.

One thing a few of my friends have done when they've gotten tickets in NY is to go to court and strike a deal with the cop outside the courtroom.  Then the cop goes in and requests a reduction of the charge.  How was your encounter with him?  Were you courteous, or at least not hostile?

If the cop doesn't show up for court, the ticket is thrown out.  Chances are, he'll be there, and I don't think you can hope for a dismissal of the ticket at that speed.  You could simply try to get the charge reduced to a lesser speed on the grounds that conditions were very good, and your speed, while illegal, was not especially dangerous.

I think that New York can suspend the driving privilege of out-of-state drivers for racking up too many points.  As it stands, I believe you have an 8-point ticket, with 11 points necessary to bring suspension of privilege.  Keep that in mind if you drive through NY a lot.

Good luck, man, and let us know how the whole thing turns out.  Also keep in mind, as Foote said, you can definitely postpone your court appearance at least once or twice if it conflicts with something else.
I did some checking on the net and I guess quebec is a little more lenient than NY as far as points.

In Quebec this will be a 5 "demerit" ticket, and it would take 15 demerits to suspend my license.

In NY this is an 8 point ticket, and it would take 11 points to suspend my license.

The ticket will carry a yearly fine for the "demerits" in Quebec though, for 2 years.
What do you plan to do, Mtl_A4?

You should confirm that Quebec will hold the ticket against your license.  I assume it will, since NY has a deal with Quebec (strange that it doesn't have this deal with any US state).

In this case, you should seriously consider going to court to get the ticket reduced to something a little more manageable.  This is going to look terrible for your insurance, if they ever check.

One little secret I learned is that insurance companies generally don't run DMV checks every year.  They run them when they write the policy, and if you put in a claim.  Of all the tickets I've gotten, none have affected my insurance rates.

Still, in Canada things could be different, so I can't say.  I'd play it safe and go to court, and try to get it down as much as possible, so it doesn't look as bad.

Good luck, man.

TBR

Especially since insurance is gov run in some provinces.

IrishGuy

QuotePS. This is my first ticket, which is a bit surprising since really 96 MPH is not unusual for me. I usually have a good eye for seeing the po-po before they see me. They got lucky this time.  :devil:

Also like L. ED Foote said 96 isn't that crazy of a speed for where I was at (I87)...I am passing traffic for the most part but I do get passed by other cars occasionally as well.

Still not sure if I should just pay it or not though.
Yeah, it's actually not a surprising speed when you take into account the area you were in.

Good luck with it.  
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

ro51092

Wow, the Taconic! You only hit 96? I've drag raced a C320 on the Taconic, late at night! I've maxed out the TL on the Taconic! I'm just aware of the 5-0.  :lol: I can't believe you got caught doing only 96. :wtf:  

Next time, go faster, and be watchful of :pullover:

Don't worry, it's all good :thumbsup:

Well, I almost got caught at 120, but I saw another dude get pulled over, and I slowed to down to like 60. Wasn't too good for the brakes, the engine, or the transmission :nono:  

IrishGuy

QuoteWow, the Taconic! You only hit 96? I've drag raced a C320 on the Taconic, late at night! I've maxed out the TL on the Taconic! I'm just aware of the 5-0.  :lol: I can't believe you got caught doing only 96. :wtf:  

Next time, go faster, and be watchful of :pullover:

Don't worry, it's all good :thumbsup:

Well, I almost got caught at 120, but I saw another dude get pulled over, and I slowed to down to like 60. Wasn't too good for the brakes, the engine, or the transmission :nono:
Umm.. that's not the Taconic buddy. It's the Northway (I-87).
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited