Mazda's Kabura concept- under 2500lbs! (MX5 coupe)

Started by BRealistic, January 10, 2006, 03:48:45 PM

BRealistic

Mazda's Kabura- under 2500lbs!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Autos...icleId=108811#1

Mazda Kabura

What Is It?
Mazda Kabura

What's Special About It?
The "no-brainer of the show" award goes to Mazda for building the car every enthusiast wants ? an inexpensive, lightweight, rear-drive coupe. Remember when carmakers sold these cars in the United States? Neither do we, but we're pretty sure it wasn't that long ago and we're pretty sure that if it's done right it will be a scorching success.

Mazda can do it right.

And it can be done using parts that already exist, which enormously increases the likelihood it will get a thumbs-up for production. The fundamentals are already in place on the concept: RX-8 underpinnings including double-wishbone suspension up front and a multilink layout in the rear. The engine and transmission, a 2.0-liter four and six-speed manual, come from the MX-5.

>The big news is the weight. When asked about a weight target, Moray Callum, general manager of Mazda's Design Division, said it's possible the Kabura could weigh less than the MX-5 (2,498 pounds).

The Kabura already looks right. It's got Mazda's signature front wheel arches and there's certainly some RX-8 in its nose and greenhouse. But we're convinced it would sell because of its formula for cheap, fast driving fun. Looks, in this market, come second.

As a bonus, the Kabura has some smart interior features which make it usable enough to function as an only car for the low-bucks buyer. Mazda calls its seating arrangement a 3+1 layout. The unique design puts a full-size rear seat behind the front-passenger seat. Moving the fuel tank under the other rear seat makes room for three adults to sit comfortably while the folding jump seat is reserved for smaller passengers. It's also a hatchback which makes it even more utilitarian.

What's Edmunds' Take?
"We can build the Kabura with existing parts," Callum said.

Do it. ? Josh Jacquot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the sub 2500lb comments. !!!!!

Even at 170hp, if they can bring this car to production at under 2500lbs- it would be a great lightweight sports coupe. I really hope it happens. As Edmunds said- there aren't many lightweight sports coupes on the market today- let alone affordable ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
and
-

-
and
-

I can't help but wonder if this started out as the next RX7... but then things happened.

TBR

In production form I imagine I would like it, but the concept it looks overdone (as most do).  

giant_mtb

Besides the funky interior which I doubt would actually go into the production cars...it's a sweet plan.

thewizard16

QuoteBesides the funky interior which I doubt would actually go into the production cars...it's a sweet plan.
Agreed. Aside from typical concept interior, a little over done front and rear, it sounds like a really nice set up. The concept side profile is good looking, in my opinion, so they can keep that, and that'd be fine by me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Tom

QuoteBesides the funky interior which I doubt would actually go into the production cars...it's a sweet plan.
:rockon:  

Secret Chimp

I think the front end looks awful, otherwise it's alright.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Looks like someone said "What if I melted an RX-8 and an Eclipse together?".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Raza

I think, if there is an RX-7 in the winds, it will be based on the MX-5.  Integrated hatchback hard top with a small spoiler at the back, with a revised front fascia.  That's the best and easiest way to make it.

Though I can't guarentee that it will be under 2500 pounds, but it should be significantly faster than both the RX-8 and MX-5, due to the better power to weight ratio.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mak450

There are alot of lines and elements to the car I dislike. I do however like the proportions, still I overall dislike it enough to not want to spend any money on it.

I do think however most of those elements would be gotten rid of by the time something based on this concept makes it to production so we'll ssee

NomisR

Wow, this car does look really good.  I'm sure they can easily make it into the Rx7 too if they really want to as the Rotary engine with fit right into the engine bay without any problems.  

MX793

build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it build it  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tom

Raza

QuoteHow about a MX-5 with a permanent hard top?
Read my post..

:P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i