"Carbage"

Started by Laconian, October 21, 2017, 11:11:07 PM

Laconian

I found this great reddit forum, "carbage", which has a number of pictures of cars filled to the brim with trash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/carbage/

What makes people do this? Is it a sign of mental illness? Should these folks be driving?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

MAN!!! I was just talking bout these people!! I see them everywhere! It's just crazy.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

I have to think it's some sort of mental illness that drives people to do this. It's not a normal level of laziness.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Yeah that's beyond lazy. I've seen a few in Craigslist/Kijiji ads like that too.

MX793

Maybe some people enjoy their car smelling like every fast-food drive-thru meal they've eaten for the past 3 years?

A couple of years ago when flying out for a business trip, I parked next to an old Crown Vic at the airport that was near the back of the lot that looked like someone may have been living in it.  Full of junk.  Mentioned it to a co-worker who said they'd seen it there as well, and that it had been there for potentially years.  Not sure why it wouldn't have been towed at that point, since it's a pay lot...

Semi-related note, I've noticed some guy in an old (mid 90s) Altima who prowls around my neighborhood in the late afternoon the day before trash pickup day.  His car is full of plastic trash bags full of junk.  He'll stop at each of the trash sheds and go fishing through them.  My suspicion is he's looking for scrap metal to cash in or bottles/cans with redeemable deposits that someone was too lazy to return.  More concerning is he may be looking for un-shredded financial documents that may aid in credit fraud or identity theft activities.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Knew a guy who just threw Pepsi bottles used for dipping into the back seat. Someone grabbed a full one to take a drink one time.... :mask:
Will

giant_mtb

It's hoarding, through and through. I imagine a lot of these peoples' houses are similar.

2o6

Raza

My dad's car is often like this. Not that bad; not piled up to the windows. But you often had to move papers and trash to sit in the car. I don't know if it's gotten worse in the past few years, but it was bad before.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 22, 2017, 07:33:58 AM
Knew a guy who just threw Pepsi bottles used for dipping into the back seat. Someone grabbed a full one to take a drink one time.... :mask:
PUKE

Tave

I'm not super anal about detailing, but I'm nuts on cargo. Other than the stuff that came w the car and it's paperwork, I've got a couple spare pens for work, a phone charger, hat+gloves, blanket, umbrella, and 1 folding map of the state.

I think an empty car is the cheapest and easiest theft-deterrent on the market. Makes driving more enjoyable too when your things aren't making noise and passengers don't have to move stuff around for space.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on October 22, 2017, 12:47:17 PM
I'm not super anal about detailing, but I'm nuts on cargo. Other than the stuff that came w the car and it's paperwork, I've got a couple spare pens for work, a phone charger, hat+gloves, blanket, umbrella, and 1 folding map of the state.

I think an empty car is the cheapest and easiest theft-deterrent on the market. Makes driving more enjoyable too when your things aren't making noise and passengers don't have to move stuff around for space.

If you think an empty car is a theft deterrent, imagine what a car filled to the brim with old fast food containers and other refuse is...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on October 22, 2017, 12:51:22 PM
If you think an empty car is a theft deterrent, imagine what a car filled to the brim with old fast food containers and other refuse is...

:clap: :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 22, 2017, 07:20:58 AM
Maybe some people enjoy their car smelling like every fast-food drive-thru meal they've eaten for the past 3 years?

A couple of years ago when flying out for a business trip, I parked next to an old Crown Vic at the airport that was near the back of the lot that looked like someone may have been living in it.  Full of junk.  Mentioned it to a co-worker who said they'd seen it there as well, and that it had been there for potentially years.  Not sure why it wouldn't have been towed at that point, since it's a pay lot...

Semi-related note, I've noticed some guy in an old (mid 90s) Altima who prowls around my neighborhood in the late afternoon the day before trash pickup day.  His car is full of plastic trash bags full of junk.  He'll stop at each of the trash sheds and go fishing through them.  My suspicion is he's looking for scrap metal to cash in or bottles/cans with redeemable deposits that someone was too lazy to return.  More concerning is he may be looking for un-shredded financial documents that may aid in credit fraud or identity theft activities.

Most of these arent abandoned. Someone is likely paying for that spot. A relative of one was a hoarder. When he passed, we found 6 entirely different rental storage units stuffed full of absolute crap. He must have been paying 4-500 a month for them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 22, 2017, 12:53:58 PM
Most of these arent abandoned. Someone is likely paying for that spot. A relative of one was a hoarder. When he passed, we found 6 entirely different rental storage units stuffed full of absolute crap. He must have been paying 4-500 a month for them.

Airport parking is $10/day...  Even if you get a discounted monthly parking rate, it's a couple hundred a month to park there.  Much cheaper to rent a 5x10 storage unit, which go for ~$75 per month on average around here.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 22, 2017, 01:59:49 PM
Airport parking is $10/day...  Even if you get a discounted monthly parking rate, it's a couple hundred a month to park there.  Much cheaper to rent a 5x10 storage unit, which go for ~$75 per month on average around here.

Logic doesn't enter this. There's nothing logical about paying any amount of money to store garbage.

Morris Minor

I worked (thankfully briefly) with a guy who was a junk food addict. We had to go out one day to pick up some computer gear from a store. The passenger seat was full of empty food wrappers, cups, bags, etc. It had filled up the footwell and was filling up the seat space. I had to ride in the back.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Yeah, I would have just refused.  No one I'm getting in one of those.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

Well, if you could see, and more importantly, smell the inside of some of the vehicles I have to work on, you may actually toss your cookies. I've seen dirty diapers, sandwich bags full of some moldy, unidentifiable stuff, noxious hand and body scuz on steering wheel and seats, trash filled seats and trunks...

If it's really bad, we ask them to clean out the car first. If it's just nasty, we will clean it out, but it costs $130 an hour. We've had people leave because they wouldn't clean it. Oh well, have a nice day! :lol:

Laconian

Morris Minor

I threw out a huge amount of stuff before moving house  - it was REALLY liberating - Goodwill and a local document shredding company did well out of me.

(But now I'm worried I might be suffering from compulsive decluttering.)

Morris Minor

Note the pine-scent air freshener.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 23, 2017, 02:00:50 PM
I threw out a huge amount of stuff before moving house  - it was REALLY liberating - Goodwill and a local document shredding company did well out of me.

(But now I'm worried I might be suffering from compulsive decluttering.)

I may be the same way to and extent.

Decluttering sessions usually start by watching an episode of Hoarders.

Rupert

As long as my clutter is confined to elsewhere than the middle of the room, I'm happy. You should see my junk drawer(s). :lol:

But really, I move so much I don't have a chance to accumulate too much stuff I don't need.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA