Question about driving record

Started by J86, January 12, 2006, 12:01:23 PM

J86

Is there a way to see my driving record?  For instance, could I go to the DMV and request it?  The reason for this is to see if my speeding ticket ever actually showed up on my record.  I got it a year ago, but my insurance never changed.  NH ticket for an RI driver.  Asking because if I get my own car, as opposed to driving the family's spare, it'd be niec to know whether or not the new insurance company would notice...

Raza

I don't know about the records, but in PA, you lose 2-3 points per year, so depending on how bad your ticket was, it may or may not affect your new insurance policy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteI don't know about the records, but in PA, you lose 2-3 points per year, so depending on how bad your ticket was, it may or may not affect your new insurance policy.
True, but do insurance companies actually care how many state-assigned points you have?  I would think they look at your record and make their own judgements.

Raza

QuoteI don't know about the records, but in PA, you lose 2-3 points per year, so depending on how bad your ticket was, it may or may not affect your new insurance policy.
True, but do insurance companies actually care how many state-assigned points you have?  I would think they look at your record and make their own judgements.
Insurance companies rarely care beyond the last year.  If you ever do an online quote, you'll see that they only ask about speeding violations within the past year.  If your points are gone, it means that you've allegedly driven responsibly for over a year, and that you've changed your reckless ways.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

I have a hard time believing everything done more than a year ago is dismissed.  My brother got two tickets 3 months after getting his liscense.  A year and a half later, his insurance still has not come down.

J86

I did online quotes today and they asked for the past 35 months.  However, I am not sure if my ticket ever made it through to RI.  THATS what I want to find out, whether or not it is even known if I have a ticket.

dazzleman

QuoteI did online quotes today and they asked for the past 35 months.  However, I am not sure if my ticket ever made it through to RI.  THATS what I want to find out, whether or not it is even known if I have a ticket.
Dude, just go on the Rhode Island DMV website.  They probably tell you how to get a copy of your driving record.

After my last ticket, I got a copy of my driving record because I wanted to make sure they didn't have my speed down on it.  I had struck a deal with the prosecutor that I'd only be convicted of 'traveling too fast for conditions,' a lesser charge than speeding, and one that doesn't list a specific amount over the speed limit.  I was going 15+ mph over, which is supposedly worse for insurance purposes.

Definitely get a copy of your driving record before answering the questions for those online quotes.  There's a good chance the ticket hasn't shown up, and it would be a shame to tell them if you can conceal it.  Also, I believe Raza is incorrect that they only go back a year -- all insurance companies I've dealt with go back 3-4 years in your driving history.

Man, your legal problems never seem to end..... :lol:   Why don't you try staying out of trouble for a change?  :rockon:   [Only kidding, man -- life is boring that way].
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sparkplug

Where I live places of employment want a 10 years dmv record.

As for as insurance goes two three things affect your insurance: your credit, the year make and model of your car, and the points on your license. I forgot age affects your license too.

The biggest reason I don't try to get speeding tickets is the record. I don't want to be refused a job because of my driving record which is sqeaky clean as of today but you never know what tomorrow brings.

In my state you can go to the DMV and ask them for your driving record provided you give them $$$$ and no ????. You can also go online in my state and find out your record (but its unofficial one) by the internet provided you give your driving license number.

dazzleman

QuoteWhere I live places of employment want a 10 years dmv record.

As for as insurance goes two three things affect your insurance: your credit, the year make and model of your car, and the points on your license. I forgot age affects your license too.

The biggest reason I don't try to get speeding tickets is the record. I don't want to be refused a job because of my driving record which is sqeaky clean as of today but you never know what tomorrow brings.

In my state you can go to the DMV and ask them for your driving record provided you give them $$$$ and no ????. You can also go online in my state and find out your record (but its unofficial one) by the internet provided you give your driving license number.
What kind of work do you do, sparkplug?

I never heard of a person not getting a job due to intermittent speeding tickets, unless the job involved driving in some way.  When I was younger, most of my friends and I got tickets on a fairly regular basis, and we all ended up getting good jobs.  I can't see that the tickets we got hurt us at all in the long run.

I don't think most states even keep DMV records for 10 years except for criminal charges like DUI.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sparkplug

Unfortunely due to circumstances beyond my control the company I worked for terminated my position. They just decided they didn't need me. Apparently they didn't. I  have tried to find work but  the employers won't offer me jack squat. I had interviews over the last couple years but I never hear from them after the initial interview.

The area I live is a rural area with high unemployment. It is tough to find a job. I was surprised they terminated my position. I was one of them people who came to work everyday, did a good job, always willing to do anything anybody asked. I could do almost anything on the computer that they needed and they just gave me the shaft.

I'm one of those people who are really fast on a keyboard and I know a good bit about computers. For example I'm on dialup but I have three windows of Firefox open and go through them without a mouse for the most part.  

J86

QuoteI did online quotes today and they asked for the past 35 months.  However, I am not sure if my ticket ever made it through to RI.  THATS what I want to find out, whether or not it is even known if I have a ticket.
Dude, just go on the Rhode Island DMV website.  They probably tell you how to get a copy of your driving record.

After my last ticket, I got a copy of my driving record because I wanted to make sure they didn't have my speed down on it.  I had struck a deal with the prosecutor that I'd only be convicted of 'traveling too fast for conditions,' a lesser charge than speeding, and one that doesn't list a specific amount over the speed limit.  I was going 15+ mph over, which is supposedly worse for insurance purposes.

Definitely get a copy of your driving record before answering the questions for those online quotes.  There's a good chance the ticket hasn't shown up, and it would be a shame to tell them if you can conceal it.  Also, I believe Raza is incorrect that they only go back a year -- all insurance companies I've dealt with go back 3-4 years in your driving history.

Man, your legal problems never seem to end..... :lol:   Why don't you try staying out of trouble for a change?  :rockon:   [Only kidding, man -- life is boring that way].
Wow, it did not even cross my mind to go to the DMV website...scary....

If I stayed outta trouble what fun would I be having?! :D  

J86

Thanks dazzle, when I went to the DMV website the very first thing that popped up was review a copy of your driving record online...hmm now I just gotta decide whether 16 bucks is worth it!

dazzleman

QuoteThanks dazzle, when I went to the DMV website the very first thing that popped up was review a copy of your driving record online...hmm now I just gotta decide whether 16 bucks is worth it!
It is, definitely.  It could mean a lot of money on your insurance.  You need the facts, man.

I agree that staying out of trouble is no fun.  If I were your age, we'd be hanging out, man.  :rockon:  

Raza

Sorry about your situation, Sparkplug.  You obviously know more about computers than I do.

And dazzle, why let age stop you?  I often hang out with people much older than I.

However, you're in your 40s and single...I guess hanging out with little boys might Michael Jackson your reputation.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

QuoteI did online quotes today and they asked for the past 35 months.
That sounds in line with my insurance shopping experience.  I checked with several companies about a year ago and all of them wanted to know about tickets in the past 3 years, not the past 1.  Some even go as far back as 5 years.  If you've got a ticket on your record from anytime in the past 3 years, you're probably going to get boned by the insurance company.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

QuoteSorry about your situation, Sparkplug.  You obviously know more about computers than I do.

And dazzle, why let age stop you?  I often hang out with people much older than I.

However, you're in your 40s and single...I guess hanging out with little boys might Michael Jackson your reputation.
What a beautful thing to say, Raza.  Michael Jackson has always been my idol.  :P

At this point, I know I can't do those crazy things guys do in their teens and 20s.  I really have no desire to do them, but it is funny to see younger guys do them, and remember those days.  For everything in life, there is a season, and that season has passed.  Every season brings its rewards, but you can't reach back for the one before.

dazzleman

QuoteUnfortunely due to circumstances beyond my control the company I worked for terminated my position. They just decided they didn't need me. Apparently they didn't. I  have tried to find work but  the employers won't offer me jack squat. I had interviews over the last couple years but I never hear from them after the initial interview.

The area I live is a rural area with high unemployment. It is tough to find a job. I was surprised they terminated my position. I was one of them people who came to work everyday, did a good job, always willing to do anything anybody asked. I could do almost anything on the computer that they needed and they just gave me the shaft.

I'm one of those people who are really fast on a keyboard and I know a good bit about computers. For example I'm on dialup but I have three windows of Firefox open and go through them without a mouse for the most part.
Sorry to hear about your situation, sparkplug.

What state do you live in?

In any case, I wish you luck in finding something.  How are you supporting yourself now?

TBR

QuoteUnfortunely due to circumstances beyond my control the company I worked for terminated my position. They just decided they didn't need me. Apparently they didn't. I  have tried to find work but  the employers won't offer me jack squat. I had interviews over the last couple years but I never hear from them after the initial interview.

Just move.  

J86

QuoteSorry about your situation, Sparkplug.  You obviously know more about computers than I do.

And dazzle, why let age stop you?  I often hang out with people much older than I.

What a beautful thing to say, Raza.  Michael Jackson has always been my idol.  :P

At this point, I know I can't do those crazy things guys do in their teens and 20s.  I really have no desire to do them, but it is funny to see younger guys do them, and remember those days.  For everything in life, there is a season, and that season has passed.  Every season brings its rewards, but you can't reach back for the one before.
No desire to do them?  Cmon, dont kid yourself... :P  

sparkplug

I currently live with my parents in one of the poorest counties of South Carolina. It extremely rural and people know each other around here. I help my dad take care of the place and while there is plenty of work to do it is not something my heart is in. The government considers me self employed. I just consider myself screwed.

I'd like to move but I have more responsibilities and more worries than I care to talk about.

dazzleman

QuoteI currently live with my parents in one of the poorest counties of South Carolina. It extremely rural and people know each other around here. I help my dad take care of the place and while there is plenty of work to do it is not something my heart is in. The government considers me self employed. I just consider myself screwed.

I'd like to move but I have more responsibilities and more worries than I care to talk about.
Well man, I wish you the best.  I didn't mean to ask intrusive questions.