"Baby on Board" stickers

Started by Laconian, January 02, 2018, 08:47:08 PM

Laconian

They're making a comeback in my area. Do they have any practical purpose? I interpret them as a mea culpa for bad drivers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

There's a car around here with an "I'm Not Drunk, Just A Shitty Driver" sticker. :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 02, 2018, 08:47:08 PM
They're making a comeback in my area. Do they have any practical purpose? I interpret them as a mea culpa for bad drivers.

Someone told me they're to inform first responders that there may be a youngin' inside the car so they know to look. I feel like they could figure that out themselves
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 02, 2018, 09:10:53 PM
Someone told me they're to inform first responders that there may be a youngin' inside the car so they know to look. I feel like they could figure that out themselves

Sure, and the stick figure family was to tell them there's dad, mom, 2 girls, a boy, a baby, a dog, 3 cats, and a goldfish in the burning car.

Raza

I always saw it as a "Just pass me, I'm not speeding up" sticker.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

They're good for letting pedofiles and sex traffickers know what ya got.

Maybe a stretch but there's no reason to advertise personal information to everyone who drives by.

AutobahnSHO

A new mommy, who is an extraordinary good officer, about 26yrs old, asked me about them. Wondering if she should get one, or if people even care. I said people don't pay attention. I don't know if she got one or not.

At least they're not as widespread (yet) as they used to be.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rockraven on January 02, 2018, 09:14:36 PM
Sure, and the stick figure family was to tell them there's dad, mom, 2 girls, a boy, a baby, a dog, 3 cats, and a goldfish in the burning car.

:lol:
Will

RomanChariot

I never used one on our cars but I think they are mostly meant to remind others to drive carefully. Kind of like how people are less likely to be an ignorant driver when they suddenly realize that they know the person in the car they were just about to give the bird to.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 03, 2018, 06:11:07 AM
They're good for letting pedofiles and sex traffickers know what ya got.

Maybe a stretch but there's no reason to advertise personal information to everyone who drives by.

Well, that's a super paranoid outlook on something pretty innocuous.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

One of my favourite bumper stickers is "Would you drive better if I shoved that cell phone up your ass?"
:lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on January 03, 2018, 08:38:58 AM

Well, that's a super paranoid outlook on something pretty innocuous.

Says the guy who's afraid of commercial air travel.

I was talking more about the stick figure families, but either way I'm not a fan, but I've never been a fan of bumper stickers of any kind.

FoMoJo

They were cute 30 plus years ago.  Society is far more cynical now.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 03, 2018, 09:33:13 AM
They were cute 30 plus years ago.  Society is far more cynical now.

Saw a "baby on waterboard" sticker the other day.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

The only bumper sticker I've ever had is an ORV sticker.

Oh, and a small ~4"x3" silouhette of the UP on the rear glass.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 03, 2018, 11:08:48 AM
The only bumper sticker I've ever had is an ORV sticker.

Oh, and a small ~4"x3" silouhette of the UP on the rear glass.

I have surf shop stickers on the back window of the El Camino. I think it's required for ownership.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I have an OSU alumni sticker in my back window, but that's about it

Tave

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 03, 2018, 08:28:41 AM
I never used one on our cars but I think they are mostly meant to remind others to drive carefully. Kind of like how people are less likely to be an ignorant driver when they suddenly realize that they know the person in the car they were just about to give the bird to.

Yeah but it's a little insulting.

"What does that say, 'baby on board'? Whew! For a second there I was about to start senselessly ramming every other car around me. I'm glad they had that sticker to remind me not to be heedless of their safety. I don't know what I would have done without it. Now, if no one has any objection, I think I'm just going to launch my car off the side of this cliff, because I like to walk on the wild side."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Tave on January 05, 2018, 09:55:59 AM
Yeah but it's a little insulting.

"What does that say, 'baby on board'? Whew! For a second there I was about to start senselessly ramming every other car around me. I'm glad they had that sticker to remind me not to be heedless of their safety. I don't know what I would have done without it. Now, if no one has any objection, I think I'm just going to launch my car off the side of this cliff, because I like to walk on the wild side."

It might be a little insulting but the truth is that there are a lot of people who drive like jerks. Some of this stems from the fact that there is a certain anonymity when driving on public roads just like the anonymity of the internet gives some the freedom to post like jerks. When these people see someone else on the road that they know they often behave much better. I think that the point of the signs is to remind people that other cars are carrying precious cargo not just a bunch of anonymous automatons. Whether it is effective is another issues.

dazzleman

I remember that all the annoying yuppies had these things on their cars back in the 1980s.  Maybe those kids now have them for their own kids.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Almost as annoying as the Jesus fish that we still see on so many cars.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 06, 2018, 02:14:40 PM
Almost as annoying as the Jesus fish that we still see on so many cars.

I don't find those annoying.  They don't really say/mean anything besides "I guess I believe in God."  BoB stickers carry a lot more pretense.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
I don't find those annoying.  They don't really say/mean anything besides "I guess I believe in God."  BoB stickers carry a lot more pretense.
Maybe it's just me :huh:

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 06, 2018, 02:34:07 PM
Maybe it's just me :huh:.

I don't think I've ever noticed a Jesus fish.  I don't even know what they look like.  I don't think they'd annoy me anyway.  Bumper stickers with slogans usually annoy me.  I find most slogans to be, at best, partly true and a gross oversimplification.  The fact that our policies are dictated by slogans is why things are a mess.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

A niggling point, but if someone must have bumpers stickers they should, at least, be funny.

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2018, 03:43:59 PM

I don't think I've ever noticed a Jesus fish.  I don't even know what they look like.  I don't think they'd annoy me anyway.  Bumper stickers with slogans usually annoy me.  I find most slogans to be, at best, partly true and a gross oversimplification.  The fact that our policies are dictated by slogans is why things are a mess.

You've never seen a Jesus fish?

Anything political definitely falls into the category of shit you shouldn't put on your car imo.  Too many Sporties on the road who are easily #triggered.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 06:30:50 PM

You've never seen a Jesus fish?

Anything political definitely falls into the category of shit you shouldn't put on your car imo.  Too many Sporties on the road who are easily #triggered.

I may have seen a Jesus fish, but maybe I didn't notice or recognize it as such.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2018, 06:33:49 PM
I may have seen a Jesus fish, but maybe I didn't notice or recognize it as such.
Depends on where you live or travel.  When we lived in a rural/small town outside of the GTA, there were a couple of 'Reform' type churches and several people had Jesus fish stickers on their cars.  Where we are now, in the middle of a major municipal area, haven't seen a single one.

I don't really mind them that much, but I sometimes question the mentality of someone who would do that.  It's like putting a label on your life style and wanting everyone to know.

Laconian

It's a fish that sometimes has "IXOYE" written in it. Really, you've never noticed that before? They were everywhere in the 90's.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT