i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 16, 2018, 06:48:39 PM
Let me put it like this

I drive exactly the same in the G as I did in the Z if not worse. In the Z I got pulled over a shit load of times, including once for a DUI check (I passed)

In the G, even all stance boi'd out, nobody bothers me. My last ticket was for an expired tag. So some cars reputations/impressions do have real consequences. What are the tangible consequences of driving a Scion vs a Subaru? To the automotive civilian they are both Scion TCs.

You literally drive a car with a badge that exists because of image consciousness.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2018, 02:06:05 AM
You literally drive a car with a badge that exists because of image consciousness.
If my car had Nissan badges I would still own it :huh:

Meanwhile, you will pay a premium for the same exact car to have the right badges. That is the height of brand whoredom
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 17, 2018, 05:22:57 AM
If my car had Nissan badges I would still own it :huh:

Point is, an entire brand--three of them, actually, it was four until Scion died--is built around image because image matters.  Still think I'm weird for accepting that fact?  You can keep pretending like it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to everyone. 

Meanwhile, you will pay a premium for the same exact car to have the right badges. That is the height of brand whoredom

You actually did that.  You actually paid a premium price for a car with a luxury badge.  Millions of people have done that.  Even if you want to limit it to Lexus ES, Infiniti I, and Acura buyers, millions of people do that.  Why?

Say it with me....
Because image matters!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

"Image doesn't matter to me!"
Buys a Nissan with a luxury badge on it after stating he didn't like the image his Nissan projected

Dude, at this point you really have to see how ridiculous it is.  This is getting to "That makes me smart.....I never said that" levels. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Other than Tibetan monks with years of training, we all are image conscious. But it sure is nice to ride the "high-horse" of 'I don't care what others think but you live for it!". Bullshit.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but is there even a Nissan version of a four-door G sedan? 🤔

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 17, 2018, 09:36:12 AM
Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but is there even a Nissan version of a four-door G sedan? 🤔

Not in the US, but I believe it's sold as a Nissan in other markets, unless that's changed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

So the argument could be made that he didn't really pay for a premium badge solely for the badge...the lesser badge doesn't offer an equivalent vehicle.  I mean, he did own a Z.  He just stepped it up to the 4-door version, which in this case, requires the badge upgrade.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 17, 2018, 09:55:22 AM
So the argument could be made that he didn't really pay for a premium badge sololy for the badge...the lesser badge doesn't offer an equivalent vehicle.  I mean, he did own a Z.  He just stepped it up to the 4-door version, which in this case, requires the badge upgrade.

He could have gotten another Z and towed it behind.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2018, 06:40:29 AM
Point is, an entire brand--three of them, actually, it was four until Scion died--is built around image because image matters.  Still think I'm weird for accepting that fact?  You can keep pretending like it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to everyone. 

You actually did that.  You actually paid a premium price for a car with a luxury badge.  Millions of people have done that.  Even if you want to limit it to Lexus ES, Infiniti I, and Acura buyers, millions of people do that.  Why?

Say it with me....
Because image matters!
For the millionth time, nobody has said image doesn't matter.

But if image matters so much to you that you would reject one car identical to another due to nothing but the brand, something is wrong with you. It's not binary, there are degrees of how much image matters to people. To some people (you) it matters way too much.

And yea, the logo on the back is the ONLY reason I bought the G. Not like I couldn't have spent 1/10th the money for a G20 or I30 :facepalm:

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 17, 2018, 10:10:48 AM
For the millionth time, nobody has said image doesn't matter.

But if image matters so much to you that you would reject one car identical to another due to nothing but the brand, something is wrong with you. It's not binary, there are degrees of how much image matters to people. To some people (you) it matters way too much.

And yea, the logo on the back is the ONLY reason I bought the G. Not like I couldn't have spent 1/10th the money for a G20 or I30 :facepalm:

You act like you're above image consciousness, all the time. Constantly. And you do the thing you do where if anyone cares any degree more or less than you, you act as if they're a paralyzed shut-in because of it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2018, 10:15:58 AM
You act like you're above image consciousness, all the time. Constantly. And you do the thing you do where if anyone cares any degree more or less than you, you act as if they're a paralyzed shut-in because of it.
No I don't... I post on a men's fashion forum and tailor my own clothes FFS. My main hobby centers around vanity (bodybuilding). I don't act like or pretend to be above anything. But writing off a car for nothing other than its badge? When BMW is the official brand of douchebags? (And I say this as a hopeful future BMW owner) IMO its a bit much and pretty contradictory. Brand image means everything, until it desn't.

giant_mtb

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

cawimmer430

What's my image if I were to drive this stunning piece of 1970s American engineering and quality design?  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 17, 2018, 12:16:22 PM
What's my image if I were to drive this stunning piece of 1970s American engineering and quality design?  :praise:

If it were in that pristine condition, it would be a marvelous image.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 17, 2018, 09:36:12 AM

Yes, Raza fails yet again.

The G is sold as the Skyline in Japan, and perhaps elsewhere. It (or at least beginning in MY2002) was originally designed for Infiniti as near luxury/sport vehicle (which the previously Skyline was not).

2o6

The thing I said that Raza side stepped

The FRZ and BRZ look the goddamn same. They're made in the same production line. Most of the interior body stampings are the same.

It's like calling the Dodge Neon a piece of shit, but happlily buying a Plymouth Neon. They look the goddamn same.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on February 17, 2018, 04:14:44 PM

The FRZ and BRZ look the goddamn same. They're made in the same production line. Most of the interior body stampings are the same.

It's like calling the Dodge Neon a piece of shit, but happlily buying a Plymouth Neon. They look the goddamn same.
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 16, 2018, 03:05:42 PM
Oh, there definitely are reasons to buy a Toyota Matrix over a Pontiac Vibe.

A major one I could think of is that all Pontiac dealers I ever dealt with were absolute jackasses.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

I would assume you're either a 70 year old man with a bit of OCD, or one of those weird European types that fetishize American land yachts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 17, 2018, 06:57:24 AM
Other than Tibetan monks with years of training, we all are image conscious. But it sure is nice to ride the "high-horse" of 'I don't care what others think but you live for it!". Bullshit.

Those monks all seem to take good care of those robes and funny hats. No point in monkin' if you look like a sherpa, you know?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on February 17, 2018, 04:14:44 PM

The Plymouth was clearly superior.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 17, 2018, 07:14:57 PM
The Plymouth was clearly superior.

Well, it was no Aston Martin Cygnet...

MexicoCityM3

On the spin the same as your current image.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Wimmer is going to be a gasket when he drives one of those pieces of shit and really sees how awful they are.

2o6