Ford shitcanning all its cars but the Mustang.

Started by Payman, April 25, 2018, 06:00:18 PM

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 30, 2018, 06:51:47 PM
Truck sales did not tank during the second sustained surge. They.....picked up. [/Ray Caruso]

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/chevrolet-silverado-sales-figures/
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ford-f-series-sales-figures/
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/dodge-ram-sales-figures/

OTHER small car sales surged, but the Focus sales fell. So again I ask. With history as our guide showing that Focus sales fell during ideal conditions for small car sales, what makes you think it will be different this time?

The highest gas priced were in 2008-2009.  The same year of the worse f150 sales in 30 years
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on May 01, 2018, 05:12:16 AM
How is it wasteful and pointless? People don't keep cars for 30 years anymore because we've decided that cars are disposable commodities that need to be replaced as often as our phones. If cars were still built for longevity, they'd still be owned for long periods of time. But selling someone a car that lasts dozens of years isn't profitable.
Not sure why you are knocking this mentality... how long have you kept each of your cars for? ~3-4 years?

Cars were built to that 30 year standard. Old Benzes and Toyotas. People on average still didn't keep them for more than like 7-8 years tops. Plus cars ARE getting better built. The average age of cars on the road has been increasing steadily for decades, speaking to both the increasing durability of cars and the average person's increasing willingness to keep them. :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 01, 2018, 05:14:31 AM
The highest gas priced were in 2008-2009.  The same year of the worse f150 sales in 30 years
Yea I'm sure that had nothing to do with the worst recession since the depression that dragged the whole industry down. Prius sales were down too.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 01, 2018, 05:21:55 AM
Yea I'm sure that had nothing to do with the worst recession since the depression that dragged the whole industry down. Prius sales were down too.

Yet Focus sales were up (as pointed out previously)...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 30, 2018, 09:53:41 AM
Nobody keeps a car for 30 years anymore, unless it's something like a Ferrari F40. Building cars to that standard is wasteful and pointless.

FWIW our 6 year Ford has been holding up OK over the last year. Admittedly Ford really shit on itself with fuel economy, My Ford Touch 2 and those awful DCTs in the Fiesta/Focus.... but if you can live with some gas guzzling and avoid all that other shit they seem as well built as anything Asian. Ford is just facing a shitload of headwinds, even with competitive cars. It's a brutal market

People didn't keep cars for decades then, either.  Those high schoolers in 30 year old cars certainly weren't the original owners.  Maybe the 5th or 6th...  I'll wager some of those cars were junkyard rescues as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Late 90s and early 2000s cars have great longevity. Modern engines but not nearly as many silly electronics to go bad. And very few turbo engines.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 01, 2018, 05:46:58 AM
So of the 4 years over the last 11 that gas was >$3.50, the Focus saw sales increases over 1 of them. And that was 11 years ago. Strong odds

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on May 01, 2018, 05:46:58 AM

Ford loses money selling the Focus in the US.

Your point, even (generously) granting your volume assumptions are correct, boils down to "Ford is going to regret not having the Focus to lose money on when truck sales decline!" 

Stupid.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 01, 2018, 08:54:18 AM
So of the 4 years over the last 11 that gas was >$3.50, the Focus saw sales increases over 1 of them. And that was 11 years ago. Strong odds

Without cars to hedge against a 2008-2009 style truck market sales cliff - Ford can be out of business in a heartbeat

Their furniture making CEO is oblivious to this

MrH

If your "hedge" loses money, what's the point?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: MrH on May 01, 2018, 09:17:00 AM
If your "hedge" loses money, what's the point?

Think of it as stock portfolio. 

Market up: Cars loose 4% and trucks make 10%.  Net gain is 6%.

Market down: Cars make 10% and trucks loose 15%.  Net gain is -5%.

Without cars, Ford could loose 15% instead of -5% with them.

I'm not sure what the numbers are like at Ford and I'm not sure if that is a viable strategy.  But that is the theoretical point.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Lebowski

Quote from: Submariner on May 01, 2018, 09:32:14 AM

I'm not sure what the numbers are like at Ford and I'm not sure if that is a viable strategy.  But that is the theoretical point.

Cars don't "make 10%" in a market down scenario, they don't make anything, they lose money for Ford.  If they can't make cars profitable at a 17mm SAAR it's pure fantasy to assume they will somehow become profitable in an overall market decline.

You don't need to know what the actual numbers are - committing capital to a "hedge" that loses money in up markets and loses even more money in down markets is stupid.

CaminoRacer

GM/Ford could both save a lot of money by simplifying option sheets and reducing inventory levels.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on May 01, 2018, 09:38:27 AM

Cars don't "make 10%", they don't make anything, they lose money for Ford.  If they can't make cars profitable at a 17mm SAAR it's pure fantasy to assume they will somehow become profitable in an overall market decline.

You don't need to know what the actual numbers are - committing capital to a "hedge" that loses money in up markets and loses even more money in down markets is stupid.

Of course if your a beancounter who doesn't realize there is no "abort" button to the plan it sounds great.  But if truck demand goes down it's a decade to do the market research, design, retooling, federalizing, production and marketing to get back into the car game.  The company will be toast far far before then, but the furniture maker CEO that sinks the company will undoubtedly get a beautiful golden parachute.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on May 01, 2018, 09:44:43 AM

Of course if your a beancounter who doesn't realize there is no "abort" button to the plan it sounds great.  But if truck demand goes down it's a decade to do the market research, design, retooling, federalizing, production and marketing to get back into the car game.  The company will be toast far far before then, but the furniture maker CEO that sinks the company will undoubtedly get a beautiful golden parachute.

Cars lose money. If truck demand declines you're not going to save the business by losing more money in cars.

2o6

Ford's lack of profitability sounds like a Ford problrm, not a "car shapes are unprofitable" sort of rationale.

If the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion are unprofitable, what was the point in investing in a new Focus and Fiesta?

It seems weird. If the Focus and fiesta were so damn unprofitable, I don't understand the rationale of still cont I using to sell them in Europe, where they also still likely lose money on them.

Lebowski

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2018, 09:59:06 AM

Ford's lack of profitability sounds like a Ford problrm, not a "car shapes are unprofitable" sort of rationale.

In that case sounds like not selling cars in NA is a Ford solution.

As has been pointed out numerous times now, it's not just a Ford problem, at minimum it's a longstanding D3 problem, and even for those companies that are profitable in cars (ie J3), small mainstreamer cars are low margin.

r0tor

You would be a motivating person to work work... If at first you don't succeed, give up and run away

Lebowski

No worries Rotor, I wouldn't hire you.

The D3 have been trying and failing to consistently make money selling passenger cars in the US for decades.  If your position is "well gee maybe they just haven't tried yet" you haven't been paying attention.

What's demotivating is mgmt continuing to allocate precious capital to consistently uneconomic/unprofitable business lines.

2o6

Quote from: Lebowski on May 01, 2018, 10:40:40 AM
No worries Rotor, I wouldn't hire you.

The D3 have been trying and failing to consistently make money selling passenger cars in the US for decades.  If your position is "well gee maybe they just haven't tried yet" you haven't been paying attention.

What's demotivating is mgmt continuing to allocate precious capital to consistently uneconomic/unprofitable business lines.

I can't recall a space in time where the big three didn't sell car shapes at all.

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on May 01, 2018, 09:32:14 AM

Lose* :lol:

But yeah, like Lebowski said, they don't ever make money.  Not even in "up" years.

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2018, 09:59:06 AM

If the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion are unprofitable, what was the point in investing in a new Focus and Fiesta?

It seems weird. If the Focus and fiesta were so damn unprofitable, I don't understand the rationale of still cont I using to sell them in Europe, where they also still likely lose money on them.

It's not unique to Ford.  The margins on cars are really, really slim.  The big three have come a long way to compete with Toyota and Honda, but there's still a big gap.  Plain and simple, they're competing against the King of Manufacturing.  They're just not as good at it, and haven't been able to catch them.  You're fighting against a company that invented the game and has a huge head start.

That's why I'm surprised Toyota hasn't also crushed in the truck market yet.  I think it's partially brand perception holding them back, but also design and product planning.  They'll eventually overcome these things, and then the big 3 are going to be in the same position but now with their cash cows at stake.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I would say that Ford pulling out of Latin America would have been a wiser move. But, IDK shareholders probably don't think Brazil et al aren't "Mature" and are still worth growth. It doesn't make sense to sell 500K units of a car in the EU that also likely still has thin profits. How many Focus or Fiesta Viganles are they selling? Can't be that many.

Also, doesn't the Tundra have a worse frame, less payload, less towing capacity, and weaker engines? I know back in 2006 ish, it was very clear that the Tundra was not as good as the American trucks. The Ram, F150, and Silverado are excellent trucks.

MX793

The 2000-2006 Tundras were less capable.  It was fully redesigned in '07 into a bigger, more capable truck with the new 5.7L V8.  IIRC, it was the most powerful half ton at the time and the 5.7 is still very competitive, though no longer class leading.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2018, 11:46:19 AM

I would say that Ford pulling out of Latin America would have been a wiser move. But, IDK shareholders probably don't think Brazil et al aren't "Mature" and are still worth growth. It doesn't make sense to sell 500K units of a car in the EU that also likely still has thin profits. How many Focus or Fiesta Viganles are they selling? Can't be that many.

Ford has said they won't rule out exiting geographic business units so it's possicle they will exit Latin America or Europe at some point.  I imagine they have different timelines for turning those around.

Regardless, that they lose money elsewhere isn't justification to continue losing money indefinitely selling passenger cars in the US. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on April 30, 2018, 06:30:54 PM
Truck sales tanked when gas priced surged.  Small car sales surged.  Truck sales took 5 years to recover after people got jobs and $3+ gas was considered the new norm.

No reason to think this doesn't happen again.. andnsoon

I wrote my master's paper on the effect of gas prices on vehicle purchasing decisions in the US from 2010-2014.

When controlling for economic variables, gas prices have minimal impact.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 01, 2018, 12:32:05 PM
I wrote my master's paper on the effect of gas prices on vehicle purchasing decisions in the US from 2010-2014.

Wait, really? I did my econometrics project on that too. Same findings.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 01, 2018, 12:32:05 PM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 01, 2018, 12:50:21 PM

Is that for short-term gas price changes? I wonder if long-term permanent price change would affect more.
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 01, 2018, 12:50:21 PM

Aw man that sucks, we're both about to be proven wrong by r0tor's anecdotes.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Xer0

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 01, 2018, 02:34:04 PM
Aw man that sucks, we're both about to be proven wrong by r0tor's anecdotes.

:lol:

r0tor

Yea... This looks like a terrible correlation between fuel prices and fuel efficient car sales