The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 09, 2018, 10:11:20 AM
Starting at $450k, and worth every penny. :praise:
But it can't out lap a C7 ZR1.....   :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 09, 2018, 06:24:36 AM
Murmurs of an exotic base price....

https://jalopnik.com/what-if-the-mid-engine-corvette-costs-170-000-1830306168

Hmmm, $170K on a GT3 Touring, McLaren, Lambo, Aston Martin...... or Chevrolet. Tough choice
I still think it'll base right around 70K

68_427

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 09, 2018, 03:29:44 PM

Eventually.  Launch spec cars will probably be Z06 equivalent and be priced far north of 100k.  Eventually it'll base under 100, but not until the C7 is phased out completely in a few years.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 09, 2018, 03:29:44 PM

That would be fantastic, but not realistic IMHO. Unless... your GM sources have let something slip?

Payman

My guess is $125k-ish model at launch.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on November 09, 2018, 04:40:47 PM
That would be fantastic, but not realistic IMHO. Unless... your GM sources have let something slip?
Ed Welborn (lead designer of the C7) and my Uncle Roy are close friends and my Uncle actually hired him at GM! Although Ed is retired he's still keeps up with the Corvette team. My Uncle said that Ed said the Team hinted at only a slight increase in price for the C8. I highly doubt the C8 will be priced close to the base C7 so I figure 70K which is 5 Grand higher than the C7 GS Base price.

Quote from: 68_427 on November 09, 2018, 03:37:22 PM
Eventually.  Launch spec cars will probably be Z06 equivalent and be priced far north of 100k.  Eventually it'll base under 100, but not until the C7 is phased out completely in a few years.
I willing to bet C7 production is gonna end soon as the C8 goes into production. I've been watching the numbers and GM is pumping out Vettes at a record pace. Actually the market is FLOODED with C7s (excluding the ZR1) right now. I think GM is doing this because it knows not everyone is gonna want the mid engine car. On the flip side it could also be because the price might be too high at launch like you said. I just can't see GM doing that tho......

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 10, 2018, 11:31:58 AM
Ed Welborn (lead designer of the C7) and my Uncle Roy are close friends and my Uncle actually hired him at GM! Although Ed is retired he's still keeps up with the Corvette team. My Uncle said that Ed said the Team hinted at only a slight increase in price for the C8. I highly doubt the C8 will be priced close to the base C7 so I figure 70K which is 5 Grand higher than the C7 GS Base price.
I willing to bet C7 production is gonna end soon as the C8 goes into production. I've been watching the numbers and GM is pumping out Vettes at a record pace. Actually the market is FLOODED with C7s (excluding the ZR1) right now. I think GM is doing this because it knows not everyone is gonna want the mid engine car. On the flip side it could also be because the price might be too high at launch like you said. I just can't see GM doing that tho......

I see the next C8 as the next front engine conventional Corvette, and the mid-engine model as a distinct lineage. Is that not correct?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on November 10, 2018, 11:54:50 AM
I see the next C8 as the next front engine conventional Corvette, and the mid-engine model as a distinct lineage. Is that not correct?
From what I've read/heard front engine production will end. Thats part of the reason for the long model year for '19 C7s. The plant will be shut down and retooled for the C8. So both cars will not be built at the same time.

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 10, 2018, 11:59:24 AM
From what I've read/heard front engine production will end. Thats part of the reason for the long model year for '19 C7s. The plant will be shut down and retooled for the C8. So both cars will not be built at the same time.

If that's true, then that means a sub $70k mid engine Corvette. I don't think (at least hope) GM will abandon the 'Vette's value playground of $55-75k. This excites me. I'll be able to afford this.

Goddamn it, give me a 7 speed manual stripper model, and I'll make sure I'll afford it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on November 10, 2018, 12:19:19 PM
If that's true, then that means a sub $70k mid engine Corvette. I don't think (at least hope) GM will abandon the 'Vette's value playground of $55-75k. This excites me. I'll be able to afford this.

Goddamn it, give me a 7 speed manual stripper model, and I'll make sure I'll afford it.
Exactly! But no manual version is planned.........

Galaxy

Quote from: Rockraven on November 10, 2018, 12:19:19 PM
If that's true, then that means a sub $70k mid engine Corvette. I don't think (at least hope) GM will abandon the 'Vette's value playground of $55-75k.

Maybe it is their plan for the Camaro to take over the lower price point?

Gotta-Qik-C7

The rear car looks to be the Vert/Spyder verson to me! Placement of the rear view mirror camera is differant so I'm pretty sure it's vert.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Galaxy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 10, 2018, 01:48:39 PM
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/05/active-aero-patents-for-corvette-suggest-chevy-is-getting-tricky-with-downforce

Kinda off topic, but I am seeing more and more articles from this Hagerty lately. As far as I can tell it seems to be a US insurance company. I guess they are also getting into journalism.

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 09, 2018, 10:11:20 AM
Starting at $450k, and worth every penny. :praise:

Well...... The Ford GT uses the same transmission as the Mercedes GT, with the exact same gear ratios, but they charge twice as much.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24794214/ford-gt-gearbox-sharing/

As R&T point it may be because Mercedes buys over 4,000 a year. That may explain the price, but on the other hand it is not as if Ford does not have any pricing power with Getrag. They could probably work out a discount for GT owners,  do to all the Focus DSGs that are failing .

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on November 10, 2018, 03:22:55 PM
Kinda off topic, but I am seeing more and more articles from this Hagerty lately. As far as I can tell it seems to be a US insurance company. I guess they are also getting into journalism.

They're a classic car insurance company. They have a monthly magazine for their customers. Not sure if it's new or if it's just been advertised more recently
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on November 10, 2018, 03:30:13 PM
Well...... The Ford GT uses the same transmission as the Mercedes GT, with the exact same gear ratios, but they charge twice as much.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24794214/ford-gt-gearbox-sharing/

As R&T point it may be because Mercedes buys over 4,000 a year. That may explain the price, but on the other hand it is not as if Ford does not have any pricing power with Getrag. They could probably work out a discount for GT owners,  do to all the Focus DSGs that are failing .

I question whether it's truly the exact same transmission.  The Ford makes well more power and a bit more torque than the most potent version of the Benz.  Even though the transmissions are of the same product family, and even share ratios, the gears themselves may not be the same.  The Ford version may use stronger and more expensive materials.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

$70K mid engine Vette is going to be a game changer.

Thinking more about it, Vette is already standalone, so putting the engine in the middle shouldn't cost much more
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 10, 2018, 06:06:32 PM
$70K mid engine Vette is going to be a game changer.

Thinking more about it, Vette is already standalone, so putting the engine in the middle shouldn't cost much more

It's actually an easier setup than front engine/rear transaxle. The flaw with mid-engine is it pretty much limits the platform to 2 seats, and there's really nothing to share the platform with.

12,000 RPM

I feel like the last Vette to share its platform was the C5... and the XLR hardly set the world on fire lol.

There's def an appetite for expensive Vettes, so $70K for this feels a lot more reasonable. Just hope they keep the pooprod in the base one
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 10, 2018, 07:16:47 PM
I feel like the last Vette to share its platform was the C5... and the XLR hardly set the world on fire lol.

There's def an appetite for expensive Vettes, so $70K for this feels a lot more reasonable. Just hope they keep the pooprod in the base one
I'm pretty sure the LT1 (500hp) will be in the base car! I've seen some twin turbo set ups mentioned for the big dogs tho......

cawimmer430

2020 Corvette C8: New Renderings Show Mid-Engine Supercar In Greater Detail, New Colors

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 may turn out to be the world's most speculatively rendered car of the year.

We totally get the hype behind the C8. After all, it's not every day that Chevrolet changes a 55-year-old formula and switches to a mid-engine layout. So until GM finally reveals the eighth-generation Corvette, you can be sure renderings will continue to flow. We've already shown you our own so today we bring you a new set of CGIs that caught our eye.

We've come across these images on one of the many Corvette forums that populate the internet, the MidEngineCorvetteForum. That's where a user called Björn Daniel Svavarsson posted them. It's the same guy who gave us the spinning 360-degree video of the C8 Corvette about a month ago.

Svavarsson has now come up with several updated renderings that show a lot more detail than his video with the white Corvette C8. Based on spy shots of the mid-engined Vette, the new CGIs offer a clearer (albeit hypothetical) look at the headlights and taillights. The car also gains clearer feature lines on the front hood and roof, as well as a less sharp treatment of the area behind the side air intakes.

The images also allow us to see the C8 in three different colors, including a vivid red paint that performance cars wear so well. The wheels may be more C7 Stingray than C8 Zora but they sure look good on the mid-engined Vette as well. This virtual mid-engine Corvette looks great but we believe adding one or two contrasting elements on the sides of the car would have made it even more attractive. What do you think?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

This car will probably be ugly to be honest
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on November 15, 2018, 04:21:13 PM
This car will probably be ugly to be honest

Depends on whether or not they try to give it the corporate SUV face, like the latest Camaro
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

The hips are just so boring compared to something like a Ford GT or McLaren.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

I sincerely hope it looks better than that.  Looks kind of bland.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Terrible renders that are probably way off. They didn't even get the shape of the side intakes right.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 15, 2018, 07:03:31 PM
I sincerely hope it looks better than that.  Looks kind of bland.
Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2018, 07:11:20 PM
Terrible renders that are probably way off. They didn't even get the shape of the side intakes right.

It actually kind of bugs me how much automotive "journalism" is just reposting fan renders.

These images look like a generic "supercar" from a 10 year old video game that couldn't afford the rights to any real cars.