The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 24, 2019, 09:39:06 AM
It's more than just pure outright grip though IMO.  Feel, transition, sidewall stiffness, etc.  I haven't driven this new Michelin all season developed for the vette obviously, but there is a pretty massive gap in the standard michelin all season and pilot sport 4 S.
Well that is a different thing then. Though again from what I've seen Michelins have the best feel in most performance tire categories
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

I don't get the whole ultra high performance all season tire segment.  If your driving in snow you will still swap to tires capable of driving in snow.  If you are not dealing with snow, just keep the summer tires on and slow down a bit on cold mornings -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 09:54:58 AM
I don't get the whole ultra high performance all season tire segment.  If your driving in snow you will still swap to tires capable of driving in snow.  If you are not dealing with snow, just keep the summer tires on and slow down a bit on cold mornings -shrug-

But fall is a beautiful season here.  Late September and early October see plenty of "cold mornings" in the 40s and low 50s.  Pretty much all of the mornings are that way in the fall.  And people love driving their Corvettes up here during fall color season.  And probably none of said people are ever pushing their car to a point where they need UHP summer tires.  They're just cruisin' enjoying their car. -shrug-

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 24, 2019, 09:59:02 AM
But fall is a beautiful season here.  Late September and early October see plenty of "cold mornings" in the 40s and low 50s.  Pretty much all of the mornings are that way in the fall.  And people love driving their Corvettes up here during fall color season.  And probably none of said people are ever pushing their car to a point where they need UHP summer tires.  They're just cruisin' enjoying their car. -shrug-

Since moving back to NJ I've generally kept my summer tires on until Thanksgiving...have never had any issues. In the event of an early snow I would just not drive (unless the roads are completely cleared).

When I lived in Montreal and Toronto I generally changed over around Halloween (which is actually after the Canadian thanksgiving, now that I think about it).

giant_mtb

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 24, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
Since moving back to NJ I've generally kept my summer tires on until Thanksgiving...have never had any issues. In the event of an early snow I would just not drive (unless the roads are completely cleared).

When I lived in Montreal and Toronto I generally changed over around Halloween (which is actually after the Canadian thanksgiving, now that I think about it).

Makes sense.  Thanksgiving is about when I'd swap out, too, if I had dedicated snows (which my mom does on her Q5, and that's about when they swap).  At that point, the daytime - and especially morning/night time - temps are low enough that you can feel a difference between winter and A/S tires, even on normal dry pavement.

12,000 RPM

Yea we get about 1-2 days of snow but a good 1-2 months of near freezing temps. But we can have a burst of warm weather inbetween. Def not worth having and swapping between two sets of wheels/tires for

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on July 23, 2019, 08:39:49 PM
That simply goes to show that the manual transmission, like the mousetrap or wheel, was pretty much perfect while automatics were warmed over garbage with tons of room to improve.

Not so sure about that - ever drive grandpa's '62 Ford truck with 3 on-on-the tree and no synchros ;) ?

Once the first modern AT hit the (the Chrysler TorqueFlight 904 and 727) in the early '60s, the AT definitely pulled ahead, esp. for the dominant craft of the day (drag racing). To that point M/Ts were basically tractor leftovers. Once more modern and robust M/Ts (4 speeds, synchros) hit the scene it was closer, but still, for the craft of the day, a well prepped AT was always faster and more consistent. Once the 5 speed hit the scene in the '80s the M/T took back the crown until the DCT/ZF 8 speed hit the scene ~10 years ago, it's been the AT since.

Payman

Yeah, if I were to buy a C8, I'd be happy with the all-seasons they put on it. Can't recall the last time I needed to pull 1.5g around a corner.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on July 24, 2019, 10:10:51 AM
Yeah, if I were to buy a C8, I'd be happy with the all-seasons they put on it. Can't recall the last time I needed to pull 1.5g around a corner.

+1

It's a silly thing to bitch about.  If somebody is serious about tracking or autocrossing their Corvette, they're highly likely to get different tires, anyways.  And even if it did come with UHP summer tires from the factory, they'd be worn out quickly from such events anyway, so they'd still have to get new shoes.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 24, 2019, 10:09:11 AM
Yea we get about 1-2 days of snow but a good 1-2 months of near freezing temps. But we can have a burst of warm weather inbetween. Def not worth having and swapping between two sets of wheels/tires for

If you can skip driving for the 2 snow storms, summer tires would be fine year round
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 10:17:35 AM
If you can skip driving for the 2 snow storms, summer tires would be fine year round

So would all-seasons (or, 3-seasons).  Hence the name.

Xer0

My summers are starting to wear and I'll be replacing them with a performance A/S like the Pilot Sports in the Fall.  Honestly, baring crazy snow storms that I can just use Uber for if I have to get somewhere, A/S are fine in Chicago year round and swapping out tires is becoming a hassle.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 10:17:35 AM
But why? Z was on summers and def drove worse in the winter than the G on UHP A/Ss. Summers also wear a lot faster than UHP A/Ss... I drive 20K miles a year. And then there's the hassle of storage and swapping. For a daily driver that sees zero track time what's the upside?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 24, 2019, 10:31:11 AM
But why? Z was on summers and def drove worse in the winter than the G on UHP A/Ss. Summers also wear a lot faster than UHP A/Ss... I drive 20K miles a year. And then there's the hassle of storage and swapping. For a daily driver that sees zero track time what's the upside?

Dick size.

r0tor

If you are worried about tire wear, the entire argument is moot.  With the A/S all you are is trading performance when it's cold for performance for most of the time when it's not cold

BimmerM3

I still think that you're just comparing a bad summer against a good all season. But for a DD where you live, I agree that all-seasons make the most sense. If you had a toy car, I might argue that you should give a better set of summers a chance before you write off the entire category.

Honestly, if I didn't like going into the mountains in the winter, I could get away with all seasons in Boulder. I'm considering all seasons for the S2000 when it needs new tires (I don't drive it in snow, but I'll drive it in temps colder than recommended for summers), but I might just go with a less aggressive summer instead. I don't know yet.

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 09:54:58 AM

IIRC, you can void the warranty on some summers if you drive them in temps that are too cold, though I'm not very concerned with tire warranties anyway.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 24, 2019, 10:43:22 AM
IIRC, you can void the warranty on some summers if you drive them in temps that are too cold, though I'm not very concerned with tire warranties anyway.

Yeah, you're voiding a useless warranty with largely unprovable driving. Tire warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 10:35:51 AM
If you are worried about tire wear, the entire argument is moot.  With the A/S all you are is trading performance when it's cold for performance for most of the time when it's not cold
Do you not care about tire wear? And again what relevance does the difference between 1g and 1.05g have to street driving?

If a certain summer tire has subjective attributes you desire that you're willing to sacrifice wear and usability for that's one thing. But throwing everything else away for the last bit of grip.... on your commute?  :confused:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 24, 2019, 11:21:33 AM
Do you not care about tire wear? And again what relevance does the difference between 1g and 1.05g have to street driving?

If a certain summer tire has subjective attributes you desire that you're willing to sacrifice wear and usability for that's one thing. But throwing everything else away for the last bit of grip.... on your commute?  :confused:

ALPHA.

r0tor

Summer tires have better response (less swirm) then all seasons. On something with a fairly good chassis like the RX8 it's extremely noticeable.

I've driven the Mazda in temps in the 20s with Pilot Super Sports and Potenza RE050As... It's not all that bad

MrH

Pilot Super Sports are awful under 40 degrees.  I'm ok with summer tires because it's usually just on my sports car.  I have another car I can jump in if the temperature drops.  Most C8 corvette owners will have the same I'm guessing.  In that case, give me the summer tires.

If it's my only car, my daily driver, and I live in the south?  I'd probably just go all seasons.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Meh, just a little easier to do power slides -shrug-

12,000 RPM

Where are you doing power slides?

*EDIT* And wouldn't stickier tires make powerslides harder? :confused:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 24, 2019, 11:58:13 AM

On top of your 12k mile brake pads.  Duh.  ;)

MrH

When super sports/4S tires are cold, they get hard and slick.  They don't stick in colder weather at all really.

I'm not bold enough to slide the S2000 yet. It's very twitchy.  My old NC I could slide around everywhere.  It was great :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Cold tires can = fun

giant_mtb

I can powerslide just about anywhere I wish for 4 months a year.  Slidey Season...right around the corner.

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2019, 01:21:27 PM

Cold tires can = fun

Cold tires on a MR car is scary as shit especially if it doesn't have a lot of nanny controls.  Going sideways on the RX8 was super easy to control though.

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on July 24, 2019, 02:34:45 PM
Cold tires on a MR car is scary as shit especially if it doesn't have a lot of nanny controls.  Going sideways on the RX8 was super easy to control though.

Yeah, really depends on the car.  Granted, it's not the same, but in Gran Turismo, I was always awful with a Lotus Elise.  I could never play at the limit with it very well.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited