The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

MX793

I swap to my race wheels and tires, and back, a couple times per month during the summer.  Can do it in 30 minutes or less without power tools (just a breaker bar, socket, torque wrench and jack).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 25, 2019, 03:03:40 PM
Oh, how times have changed. :lol:
I'm OK to do maintenance and make 1 change... but this damn Kia broke my will to tinker

1st requirement for my next car... good aftermarket suspension options
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 25, 2019, 02:21:39 PM
If you do a lot of street and event driving, I can see how swapping tires on/off all the time would be annoying. But once every 6 months isn't a big deal.

It's a big deal if you're my mom. She puts on new winter tires somewhere in January, and then drives on them all year. They are worn out by the next winter. One set of tires per year. It's a good system. :muffin: :facepalm:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on July 25, 2019, 03:51:38 PM
I swap to my race wheels and tires, and back, a couple times per month during the summer.  Can do it in 30 minutes or less without power tools (just a breaker bar, socket, torque wrench and jack).

I got a DeWalt electric impact. Definitely worth it
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 25, 2019, 10:23:16 AM
I've had 3 different tires on the El Camino.

Conti AWS
BFG Comp 2 A/S
Bridgestone RE-71R

The Contis had a bit of a squishy sidewall. I liked the BFGs on the front better, since they had a stiffer sidewall and helped the steering feel more direct.

I can't really tell the difference between the BFGs and the RE-71Rs at normal speeds. Steering feel is similar. Except the RE-71Rs are louder, kick up rocks, and wear twice as fast. They are way faster for AutoX, but on the street the BFGs are a better tire. And if the RE-71Rs don't transform the car's street performance, a PSS isn't going to either.

I know a few other people rocking the BFG Comp 2 A/S and they love them as well. They actually do pretty well for AutoX too, given the compound.

Well, I don't think a 1969 El Camino is necessarily the best platform to test tire responsiveness, turn in and feel :lol:  Is that a recirculating ball steering rack?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I put the BFGs on my Mazda too, same feel. Good sidewalls, plenty of grip for street driving. You don't need anything more for the street unless you're driving like a jackass.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Eh, if summers feel better I can understand. I mean, a lot of performance cars are overkill for the street. But many feel special even just tooling around. Subjectively good tires can add to that, even if unusably high grip is a consequence.

Payman

The C8 Corvette: You love reading about it, we are okay with writing about it. But if you want to own it, to feel all 495 horsepower humming behind the driver's seat, you'd better hustle down to your local Chevrolet dealership and get your order in as the long-fabled mid-engine Corvette is almost sold out, at least for the first model year anyway.
Michael Simcoe, General Motor's design chief, told Autoblog at the Concours d'Elegance of America (an event held in Plymouth, MI, not to be confused with the Concours d'Elegance in Monterrey, CA) over the weekend that new 'Vette orders are either already at capacity or nearly there.

"It's nearly sold out. It's so close that it's bound to be sold out soon," Simcoe told Autoblog.
It's unclear just how many spots the General has for those looking for a C8 Corvette, though the C7 has sold 30,000 units in a good year. Not only is the engine in a difference place in the C8, but this Corvette is has both a trunk and a frunk—reason for purchasing alone. But who knows, maybe folks are rushing to get their custom VINs in before someone else can snag ASSMN.

Morris Minor

The dealer markups over list for C8s are going to be very chunky - like $20k. If you can drive out for much less than 100k you'll be doing well IMO.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 29, 2019, 12:47:03 PM
The dealer markups over list for C8s are going to be very chunky - like $20k. If you can drive out for much less than 100k you'll be doing well IMO.

Someone mentioned earlier that GM wasn't going to allow for such shenanigans, that a dealership could be cut from the chain if they mark up.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 29, 2019, 12:53:47 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that GM wasn't going to allow for such shenanigans, that a dealership could be cut from the chain if they mark up.

they'll have their yearly allotment cut.

Not a big deterrent if they're all sold already.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Can GM plz now use the C8's platform as the basis for all new cars?  Kthx. I'll take a MR V8 Spark.

SJ_GTI

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 29, 2019, 12:47:03 PM
There are threads on the Vette Forums listing the dealerships that will be selling the C8 at list price.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Morris Minor

I remember when the PT Cruiser was being marked up just after launch. Difficult to imagine now.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 29, 2019, 01:31:44 PM
I remember when the PT Cruiser was being marked up just after launch. Difficult to imagine now.
RIGHT! Online car sales have put an end to that!

mzziaz

I'm not surprised. Most exciting new car in a long time.
Cuore Sportivo

Payman

Stingray Roadster may have hardtop that retracts behind the seats, heated rear window that fully retracts or part way to be a wind blocker.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28555428/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-convertible-spy-photos/

12,000 RPM

I have been thinking about it... I need to see the GS/Z's to really form an opinion on the design

The widebody/performance versions always look way better

MX793

Not sure I can envision a widebody on the C8...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on August 01, 2019, 05:52:11 AM
Stingray Roadster may have hardtop that retracts behind the seats, heated rear window that fully retracts or part way to be a wind blocker.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28555428/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-convertible-spy-photos/
Yeah I'm thinking the whole roof will "flip back" on top of the engine! Kinda like a Ferrari!

12,000 RPM

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on August 01, 2019, 06:59:00 AM
Yeah I'm thinking the whole roof will "flip back" on top of the engine! Kinda like a Ferrari!

According to the article, it flips vertically behind the seats and in front of the engine.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on August 01, 2019, 07:06:34 AM
According to the article, it flips vertically behind the seats and in front of the engine.
I doubt that! The way the frame comes up behind the rear of the passenger compartment won't allow the top to fold vertically.

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on August 01, 2019, 07:29:18 AM
I doubt that! The way the frame comes up behind the rear of the passenger compartment won't allow the top to fold vertically.

Oh yeah, the backbone. C&D is out to lunch on this one.

Xer0

C&D has turned to "Corvette and Driver" at this point.  Every little detail about the Corvette has an article;

Corvette won't have chrome wheels
Corvette Convertible in the works
Corvette gets tons of attention at car meet, Corvette starts at 60K
Corvette vs other mid engine cars
Why does the Corvette going mid engine mater
What does Mid engine mean?
Corvette gets all season tires
Corvette C8.R camo
Corvette might get a manual
Corvette probably won't get a manual
Corvette gives Camaro room to breathe

And on and on it went.

12,000 RPM

All about them clicks baby

Plus the C8 is the first truly exciting car in forever

GoCougs

Problem is, 99.9% of new cars, even performance cars, are farily terrible, so when something comes along that looks interesting, I can't blame 'em for overdoing it. Plus, I also have to think the major auto mags are getting murdered by YouTube reviewers (rightfully so), so dem clicks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2019, 12:08:02 PM
All about them clicks baby

Plus the C8 is the first truly exciting car in forever

I've given up on new cars. The C8 isn't even exciting to me because it is unattainable. It might as well be a Boogotti.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 01, 2019, 01:34:23 PM
I've given up on new cars. The C8 isn't even exciting to me because it is unattainable. It might as well be a Boogotti.

But you can wake up in a new Boogotti. :huh: