Rethinking my relationship with cars.

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 05, 2018, 08:25:14 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 05, 2018, 11:40:47 PM
I don't find it hard to drive responsibly in a fast car. :huh:

I'll gun it every once in a while when the road is clear, but otherwise it's easy to drive normally. Maybe you need a gas hog so your wallet will force you to drive normally. :lol:
WORD.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

93JC

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 06, 2018, 07:28:49 PM
Roasted :lol:

God damn, take that man back to the hospital, but this time to the burn ward.

Raza

This is normal. You had a crash—you failed at something you enjoy and it hurt your pride and your wallet. It's normal feel like this right now.

The problem is multilevel. One, track driving is very demanding on the car and the driver, and it's a considerable amount of dangerous as well. You were doing it in problem number two—a big fat pig of a modern luxury family sedan and your daily driver. It's just not a car that belongs on a track. And it's not fun to drive on the road because it's such a big fat pig that you need to be going a million miles an hour to enjoy it. That's why a car like the Miata is so special. I've driven and NA and an NC and they were both wonderful to drive at and around legal speeds. You can drive within your talent level and still have fun. And you can probably take it to a track without modification and still have fun—you're not going to be mistaken for Lewis Hamilton, but let's face it—even the best driver among us is total dogshit compared to an F1 driver and we're all too old to turn pro. So when we're driving hard, it's about having fun and feeling the car. You're a little shaken up, that's no reason to pack it all in. Last summer I almost took a Ford to the face when it just about ran a red light and I was barely able to squirt by. A low, light car with a t-shirt for a roof isn't the best car for surviving being t-boned by a 4000 pound sedan. Made me rethink this sports car everyday thing for like a second. I can drive hard all day, everyday and my life would be in my hands, but if that car hadn't applied the brakes and I hadn't put on the gas, the grille of the car would have hit me right in the head, without so much as a window between us. It's normal to question things after big events happen. Plus, you're a parent now, and I'm sure you're think about your kid as well. Priorities change when you have a child, that's also normal.

You say you don't want a third car that you'll only drive a couple of times a year—I really don't think it'll be the case unless you decide to modify it beyond being able to drive daily. Where you live, there are probably 10-20 days a year that aren't top down weather. I bet if you got a Miata, you'd be driving it multiple times a month, if not multiple times a week. Then, something like a Golf for trips to the market and taking Sporty Jr to wherever parents take their kids rounds out the household.

Point is, thinking about this stuff is fine, just don't be hasty. No need to trade everything in for a Toyota Avalon just yet.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on May 06, 2018, 07:14:08 PM
Especially while bobsledding :mask:

................... you just melted my fake teeth with that burn.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

Aw, I didn't mean it to burn that badly. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2018, 09:46:25 AM
This is normal. You had a crash—you failed at something you enjoy and it hurt your pride and your wallet. It's normal feel like this right now.

The problem is multilevel. One, track driving is very demanding on the car and the driver, and it's a considerable amount of dangerous as well. You were doing it in problem number two—a big fat pig of a modern luxury family sedan and your daily driver. It's just not a car that belongs on a track. And it's not fun to drive on the road because it's such a big fat pig that you need to be going a million miles an hour to enjoy it. That's why a car like the Miata is so special. I've driven and NA and an NC and they were both wonderful to drive at and around legal speeds. You can drive within your talent level and still have fun. And you can probably take it to a track without modification and still have fun—you're not going to be mistaken for Lewis Hamilton, but let's face it—even the best driver among us is total dogshit compared to an F1 driver and we're all too old to turn pro. So when we're driving hard, it's about having fun and feeling the car. You're a little shaken up, that's no reason to pack it all in. Last summer I almost took a Ford to the face when it just about ran a red light and I was barely able to squirt by. A low, light car with a t-shirt for a roof isn't the best car for surviving being t-boned by a 4000 pound sedan. Made me rethink this sports car everyday thing for like a second. I can drive hard all day, everyday and my life would be in my hands, but if that car hadn't applied the brakes and I hadn't put on the gas, the grille of the car would have hit me right in the head, without so much as a window between us. It's normal to question things after big events happen. Plus, you're a parent now, and I'm sure you're think about your kid as well. Priorities change when you have a child, that's also normal.

You say you don't want a third car that you'll only drive a couple of times a year—I really don't think it'll be the case unless you decide to modify it beyond being able to drive daily. Where you live, there are probably 10-20 days a year that aren't top down weather. I bet if you got a Miata, you'd be driving it multiple times a month, if not multiple times a week. Then, something like a Golf for trips to the market and taking Sporty Jr to wherever parents take their kids rounds out the household.

Point is, thinking about this stuff is fine, just don't be hasty. No need to trade everything in for a Toyota Avalon just yet.

This is a great post.  A 3rd car adds a lot of expense though.  Insurance, maintenance, plus Sporty's parking situation.  G doesn't feel fun at road legal speeds.  Civic felt underpowered.  Miata isn't useful when you have kids.

Could get a great deal on a Focus ST right now...

MrH

He just totaled a car with a loan. The added cost of a 3rd car is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

But yeah, I'll just go ahead and say it. It's not the type of the car that's the problem.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2018, 04:50:04 PM
He just totaled a car with a loan. The added cost of a 3rd car is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

But yeah, I'll just go ahead and say it. It's not the type of the car that's the problem.

That last sentence is surely true.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Laconian

? The type of car might be a problem... for Sporty. It's a valid point. Just like an overweight person might want to stay away from Indian buffets. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2018, 04:50:04 PM

You're not wrong. But getting something like a Focus ST won't help. I have to compartmentalize. Driving fun for me = pushing the limits, period. So I don't want something that encourages that on the street.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Onslaught

Well just get another normal car and drive it from point A to B like a normal person. But hopefully not texting and jerking off like most normal people. Then years down the road if you've got the room get a track day car for just fun.
Room was the only reason I don't have 4 cars right now but sometimes being an adult and doing the "smart" thing sucks ass.

r0tor

The cost of a third car is minimal... You usually get an insurance discount and maintenance is negligible as your not putting on many miles

Well unless you live in one of those states that tax you yearly on all your possessions... I guess that could add up
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on May 07, 2018, 07:13:10 PM
Well just get another normal car and drive it from point A to B like a normal person. But hopefully not texting and jerking off like most normal people. Then years down the road if you've got the room get a track day car for just fun.
Room was the only reason I don't have 4 cars right now but sometimes being an adult and doing the "smart" thing sucks ass.

That's what I'm going to try to do. Driving is like eating. Every meal can't be cheeseburgers and Pop Tarts. If I get the itch I can always come back. 350Zs should be dirt cheap by then

GoCougs

I have to lol at Raza's incessant insecurity WRT to the G37. Sweet Jesus there's a lot to unpack there, but the audience doesn't need a rehash (or does it  :dance: ?).

I think it's more about the consequences; I don't want to come off as lecture-y, so I'll just say one can enjoy motorsports without incurring damages or engaging in risk.

I have my struggles on the road, too. And actually quite a bit. For me it's not about taking risk but I don't suffer morons or assholes well at all. But I know enough that it's not the car.

Morris Minor

How about scratching the itch by karting? Get some instruction, not too ruinously expensive, safe.

Kevin, your point about the G being no fun unless it's going fast is right on the money; that's my experience too.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

So wait, was 12,000 RPM's car totaled? I thought from the other thread the damage wasn't too bad and it would be getting fixed.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 08, 2018, 06:02:19 AM
So wait, was 12,000 RPM's car totaled? I thought from the other thread the damage wasn't too bad and it would be getting fixed.

I don't think it is, but it could add up really fast and its possible.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I'm hoping to find out today. The picture was deceiving... Everything in front of the wheels was shifted about 6 inches to the right. Frame damage looks possible, the car was loaded in shear upon impact.

GoCougs

Looks totaled to me - hood, fender, headlight, front fascia, and possibly structural bits, scrunched A-pillar and suspension damage (front left wheel looks out of whack, though that may be optics). Wouldn't be surprised by a $10k+ bill...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 08, 2018, 06:25:09 AM
I'm hoping to find out today. The picture was deceiving... Everything in front of the wheels was shifted about 6 inches to the right. Frame damage looks possible, the car was loaded in shear upon impact.

Yeah, totalled

The question is; does insurance know how and where it happened?

They most likely won't cover it if they know it was on a track.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Jesus

Start a go fund me sporty.  I'll donate since I encouraged this.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Also, just get an F-150.  You'll fit in with NC, it won't encourage the hoon, and since you have a house you can carry all kinds of house related shenanigans.

GoCougs

I dunno, man; short bed crew-cab F-150 with the 5.0L sounds pretty fun.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2018, 07:04:23 AM
I dunno, man; short bed crew-cab F-150 with the 5.0L sounds pretty fun.

in a straight line.  Turns, not at all. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 08, 2018, 06:30:07 AM
Yeah, totalled

The question is; does insurance know how and where it happened?

They most likely won't cover it if they know it was on a track.
They don't know anything yet. IDK about a GoFundMe but I am accepting PayPal donations  :lol: PM me if serious. Worst comes to worst hopefully I can get a few grand for scrap. Wheels and tires should be another 1000-1500 or so.

F150s are expensive as fuck here, I already have something in mind.

giant_mtb

A few grand for scrap??  The hell are the scrap prices in your area? :confused:

Or do you just mean parting it out?  Which is a PITA outside of basics like wheels/tires.

12,000 RPM

It's totalled. Copart offered 2 grand sight unseen. Hoping pictures will up that a little bit. See what LKQ says and I'm gonna get an insurance lawyer to look at my policy. What a mess.

Xer0

You'll probably have to do a little leg work and fight with your insurance to get that number up.  When I totaled my old car, i spent about 3 weeks e-mailing and calling the insurance people to get the most money out of it.  I'm not sure about your policy, but for me they tried to get me market price of my car.  They did this by looking at the most comparable cars near me and adjusted up/down for mileage and condition then took an average of 10 cars.  Its important to ask for their backup since the cheapest cars are almost always not around long and usually drive the average down.  Also look at your State laws, but in Illinois they are obligated to reimburse the tax as well.  So if the totaled value was 10K, they would have to give me 10,775 since that would be the sales tax on the 10K.  If you have receipts for the rims/tires, might as well throw those at them too and try get the value up.