Rethinking my relationship with cars.

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 05, 2018, 08:25:14 PM

12,000 RPM

Man, this crash has really got me doing some soul searching. I realized something was up when it became apparent I was more bummed about crashing the G than my dog dying. And I loved that dog.

I gave people shit about being wrapped up in the image of a car, but I think I'm just as bad as anybody else here. And I derive a lot of pleasure from driving aggressively on public roads. Not sure what the outcome is going to be with the G, but regardless of the outcome I think I'm going to get something mild and civilian. Getting a motorcycle at age 28 rather than age 21 probably saved my life, but I'm not sure I'm mature enough to drive a fast car on public roads.

Wifey wasn't so much pissed as much as she was frank. The way I'm going with the bike and the car, I'm putting myself at serious risk. I've never had a serious crash before... even on the bike. This is the first in nearly 20 yrs of driving. A real wake up call. I'm glad it was at the track and that I'm OK but I think I'm done pushing my luck. Am I blowing this out of proportion?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

So what are you thinkin', Sporty? Minivan? Geo Metro? Public transportation?  ;)

12,000 RPM

Probably a 2015+ Golf. Good on gas, practical, dynamically inert, not worth modding, gets out of its own way. I enjoyed the rental I had.

Onslaught

You crashed your car? Get a normal car and a Miata or another car like it as a toy.  What image people don't understand is you can have just as much fun (if not more) in a MX-5 going the speed limit then in  a fast car driving like a nut.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

Quote from: Onslaught on May 05, 2018, 09:20:50 PM
You crashed your car? Get a normal car and a Miata or another car like it as a toy.  What image people don't understand is you can have just as much fun (if not more) in a MX-5 going the speed limit then in  a fast car driving like a nut.

:hesaid:

I can speak from experience about this scenario, and it's absolutely true. The G37 needs to go really fast for it to be fun - and it can go fast, certainly, but the safety and legal stakes just get too high.

Get something loud and low, and not too powerful. The sensation of speed is psychological, and you can scratch that itch more safely with something that gives you more sensory engagement.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on May 05, 2018, 09:58:55 PM
:hesaid:

I can speak from experience about this scenario, and it's absolutely true. The G37 needs to go really fast for it to be fun - and it can go fast, certainly, but the safety and legal stakes just get too high.

Get something loud and low, and not too powerful. The sensation of speed is psychological, and you can scratch that itch more safely with something that gives you more sensory engagement.

A lowered El Camino is perfect for this as well. :rockon:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

The awesome sensory experience of being low to the ground is what makes me prefer a small, quick car vs. a motorcycle. A shifter kart is mind boggling fun.

Laconian

12,000 RPM

Regular karts are enough for me

I had something loud and low... the Civic... but it was too slow. Plus I want to try and become an automotive civilian and stop seeking thrills on every drive. The most I wanna do is maybe pass slow pokes on 2 lane roads. Other than that :huh: I have to compartmentalize real world driving from sim racing + karting.

CaminoRacer

I don't find it hard to drive responsibly in a fast car. :huh:

I'll gun it every once in a while when the road is clear, but otherwise it's easy to drive normally. Maybe you need a gas hog so your wallet will force you to drive normally. :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 05, 2018, 10:39:36 PM
Regular karts are enough for me

I had something loud and low... the Civic... but it was too slow. Plus I want to try and become an automotive civilian and stop seeking thrills on every drive. The most I wanna do is maybe pass slow pokes on 2 lane roads. Other than that :huh: I have to compartmentalize real world driving from sim racing + karting.

Well, that's not a bad realization to have, but it's important to strike the right balance instead of depriving yourself outright. Otherwise you're gonna fall off the wagon.

veeman

Sporty, I'm glad you're OK.

The limited info I have or am assuming is you crashed your G while tracking it and you could have seriously injured or killed yourself but luckily did not. Now you are reconsidering tracking your car, owning a motorcycle, and driving aggressively on public roads. 

Maybe consider autocrossing. Much safer.
Consider a pony car. 

Laconian

The car he has currently is essentially a Japanese pony car.

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on May 06, 2018, 12:46:50 AM
The car he has currently is essentially a Japanese pony car.

Yeah that's true.

So is the G totaled?  Show a pic of it.  What happened?

Lebowski

Is there a thread about this crash?  Glad you are ok.

Get something intelligent like a CRV and do a driving school once or twice a year.

CALL_911

Jesus christ man, I'm glad you're ok

I would 100% go Miata if I were you, but idk how your wife would feel about it, and idk if you'd be cool transporting your daughter in it. GTI is a very solid option.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

You are overblowing this IMO. The main thing to be learned is not that cars & track days are super dangerous.

If you had performance driving training the risk would go down by an order of magnitude. And after this you'll learn to be a bit more afraid of pushing beyond your limits. That's it.

You can continue to enjoy fast driving, just better trained and wiser.

I've been tracking for 12 years now. Probably close to 100 events. Crashes are very rare.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

You should never track a DD in my opinion. One of the cars should be cheap so you can afford the other. I second the Miata toy car option.
Will

CaminoRacer

Fix the G, sell the bike, buy a cheap Miata for autox.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Onslaught

Most important thing is never crash.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 06, 2018, 03:23:35 PM
You are overblowing this IMO. The main thing to be learned is not that cars & track days are super dangerous.

If you had performance driving training the risk would go down by an order of magnitude. And after this you'll learn to be a bit more afraid of pushing beyond your limits. That's it.

You can continue to enjoy fast driving, just better trained and wiser.

I've been tracking for 12 years now. Probably close to 100 events. Crashes are very rare.
It's def dangerous. I made it more dangerous than it needed to be, but it's dangerous.

Improving my skills as a driver is still something I enjoy and will prioritize, but track days won't be a part of that pursuit. At least not for now. I'm spooked.

A 3rd car is not really something I want either... the way our driveway/garage is it's just a pain for something I will only use a few times a year. Probably good to stop dumping money into mods and shit too right now. Just having a 180 on my whole approach.

AutobahnSHO

Dude a fun car can be cheap. And just parked on the street or in a public place.

Or just auto-x.
Will

r0tor

Sounds like you just made the classic mistake of getting in over your head with too little experience.

Take some time to reevaluate what you enjoy, and if it's going fast go to a school or two and/or have someone with experience in the passenger seat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

YEa I am just going to take some time off.

Laconian

CaminoRacer

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

All of the nearest tracks to here won't let somebody fly solo at their first HPDE.  All of them require you show documented proof you've attended several HPDEs and/or a recognized performance driving school (Skip Barber or similar) else you get classed as a novice and are required to have an instructor riding shotgun.  I question any venue that lets anybody with a car and a driver's license show up and run hot laps solo with other cars on course without previous track experience.

The solution is not necessarily to hang it up, but to learn.  You jumped in over your head by going straight to hot-lapping solo on a track, in what's really a pretty fast car, without ever having any formal instruction or even having anything like autocross under your belt.  Hell, I've been autocrossing for years and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable pushing it hard on a proper race track in anything faster than an old Miata without some formal instruction.  Go to an actual performance driving school.  Enter some autocrosses where you can explore your car's limits at lower, safer speeds (and also get instruction, you can almost always find some seasoned vet willing to ride shotgun and provide some useful feedback) at an affordable price.  Learn proper technique.  Learn how to handle your car with the nannies off.

Aggressive driving belongs on a closed course, not the street.  If this ordeal opens your eyes to reckless driving habits and slows you down on the street, then perhaps it's the wake up call you needed and thankfully it was one that came without you or someone else getting hurt.  Based on some of your posts about the G being a "handful" on the street and needing to leave the nannies on all the time for fear of spinning out on public streets had me seriously questioning your driving habits.  Even with bald tires, you shouldn't be pushing hard enough on the street to regularly be leaning on the nannies or even coming close to the limit.  Even in the wet.  If you have to significantly back it down when it rains or the road is wet, you drive too aggressively on the street.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5